Options

Swedish climate activist Greta Thunberg on cover of TIME

Comments

• Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,938
    Smellyman said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Smellyman said:
    I haven't had a car payment in 25 years.  single biggest waste of money people spend money on.
    Because you never owned a car or had enough money to buy it outright?
    and if there is no interest how is it a waste of money?
    I retired at 42, some of the reason why, not wasting money on car payments.
    For you, that was your priority. I love my work, and the people I work with are some of my best friends. I'm only 29 so give me 13 years to see whether I'm in the same mental state, but a waste for me would be to not buy a car (as the liberation and flexibility I receive from it to me justifies the cost), and/or to stop using my brain for fulfilling work with great people. 
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,519
    benjs said:
    Smellyman said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Smellyman said:
    I haven't had a car payment in 25 years.  single biggest waste of money people spend money on.
    For you, that was your priority. I love my work, and the people I work with are some of my best friends. I'm only 29 so give me 13 years to see whether I'm in the same mental state, but a waste for me would be to not buy a car (as the liberation and flexibility I receive from it to me justifies the cost), and/or to stop using my brain for fulfilling work with great people. 
    Didn't say didn't have car.  no car payments

I will never understand somebody making 50k a year and buying a 50k car.  tons of people do it though.  Then they move on to the next car and the next round of payments
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,831
    meh, if you live in a city where the infrastructure supports not needing a vehicle, I'd do that too. Winnipeg currently has horrendous transit. they are trying, but the regressives in my city don't want mass transit (too expensive, who needs it?) and bike lanes (it's too cold half the year to ride your bike, I hate cyclists). very few people live downtown, with good reason. crime, lack of resources (NOT ONE GROCERY STORE IN THE CORE AREA). some are trying to change all that, but it's a very uphill battle. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,873
    meh, if you live in a city where the infrastructure supports not needing a vehicle, I'd do that too. Winnipeg currently has horrendous transit. they are trying, but the regressives in my city don't want mass transit (too expensive, who needs it?) and bike lanes (it's too cold half the year to ride your bike, I hate cyclists). very few people live downtown, with good reason. crime, lack of resources (NOT ONE GROCERY STORE IN THE CORE AREA). some are trying to change all that, but it's a very uphill battle. 
    So what you are telling me is to skip the next pj show in winnipeg.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,938
    Smellyman said:
    benjs said:
    Smellyman said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Smellyman said:

I will never understand somebody making 50k a year and buying a 50k car.  tons of people do it though.  Then they move on to the next car and the next round of payments
    Oh, my apologies! I'm right there with you on people living above their means.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    I have no issue going to Jets games or concerts at the MTS Centre downtown. Safety in numbers. But I'd never live downtown. Not at the moment. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    benjs said:
    Smellyman said:
    benjs said:
    Smellyman said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Smellyman said:

Oh, my apologies! I'm right there with you on people living above their means.
    Yeah totally agree.  I have my first car payment in five years...good times.
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,826
    mcgruff10 said:
    I have no issue going to Jets games or concerts at the MTS Centre downtown. Safety in numbers. But I'd never live downtown. Not at the moment. 

I've only ever been to Winnipeg once, and that was many years ago. I've heard about the crime rates (who hasn't?) but didn't realize that your downtown core was so unlivable. That sucks! I live within walking distance of our downtown core and walk in at least a couple of times a week. I don't think it was ever unsafe, per se, but it sure used to be one of those ghost towns outside of business hours, since essentially no one lived there and there was nothing to draw people back except a little scenic strip along the inner harbour. There's been a total revitalization over the last 10+ years and now it's packed with pedestrians, and not just tourists. I hope Winnipeg finds a way to reinvent itself progressively rather than regressively. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:

I've only ever been to Winnipeg once, and that was many years ago. I've heard about the crime rates (who hasn't?) but didn't realize that your downtown core was so unlivable. That sucks! I live within walking distance of our downtown core and walk in at least a couple of times a week. I don't think it was ever unsafe, per se, but it sure used to be one of those ghost towns outside of business hours, since essentially no one lived there and there was nothing to draw people back except a little scenic strip along the inner harbour. There's been a total revitalization over the last 10+ years and now it's packed with pedestrians, and not just tourists. I hope Winnipeg finds a way to reinvent itself progressively rather than regressively. 
    i also live within walking distance of our downtown, and when it's nice, often walk to and/or from work. takes about 25 minutes. but yeah, living right downtown is not advisable. 

before the jets came back, and before that when our arena wasn't downtown, it was a ghost town as well. no one in their right mind when downtown at night, unless you wanted to risk getting drugs there. it's slowly getting better, more restaurants and bars are opening there, and people are trying to develop condos and such, but to my knowledge no one is buying. I don't even know how Portage Place (our downtown mall) stays open. the only people that go in there are xmas shoppers once a year and transients. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,629
    edited October 2019
    Only a fool takes pride in driving a car.
    Negative.  Driving a car or bike hard is so exhilarating.  Have you never tracked a car? Nothing like that adrenaline for me. 
  • Options
    In news that will surprise few people, the woman yelling about eating babies is a Trump supporter and member of a far right group with some pretty conspiracy-theory views. 
  • Options
    In news that will surprise few people, the woman yelling about eating babies is a Trump supporter and member of a far right group with some pretty conspiracy-theory views. 
    exactly as suspected. but because trump jr tweeted about it, and trump sr retweeted it, they'll all believe it was an AOC supporter/climate change "nut". 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    That makes a lot of sense.  I'm still intrigued by the swedish professor who thinks it is ok to eat human flesh.  I need to enroll in his class.   You think he does classes online?  Maybe my own classes could chat with him via the internet.  That would make some interesting discussion.  
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    That makes a lot of sense.  I'm still intrigued by the swedish professor who thinks it is ok to eat human flesh.  I need to enroll in his class.   You think he does classes online?  Maybe my own classes could chat with him via the internet.  That would make some interesting discussion.  
    Friday Special Choice at Little Caesar's: People Lover's Pizza or the Cannibal's Delight! 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,533
    edited October 2019
    I have to agree. This car addiction in North America is a big problem. So many people are being ridiculously defensive and stubborn when it comes to this topic. Many still seem to think that having a car is some sort of badge of honour or "real" adulthood, and a LOT of people actually look down on those who choose to live car-free. It's quite sad.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:

Lots of misrepresentation online - again, no surprise. I've been reading up on this to determine if the reporting was correct, and it appears mostly not. The presentation was in Swedish so a little difficult to tell definitively, but both his own clarification in English and some translated comments show that he did not advocate or even suggest eating human flesh. He's a professor of marketing and his research is around understanding acceptability of certain ideas. Part of his talk was around what alternate foods might be acceptable in the future, and where the line will be drawn. The human flesh aspect was part of that progression - e.g., will people eat artificial meat? will people eat insect protein? will people break the cannibalism taboo? Breitbart et al misunderstood, but then again they're not known for subtle distinctions.

More info provided here:

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/swedish-scientist-cannibalism/
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    Negative.  Driving a car or bike hard is so exhilarating.  Have you never tracked a car? Nothing like that adrenaline for me. 

Do you mean bicycle or motor bike? If bicycle, I'll agree with that, but in that case it's your own effort and strength and expanding your limits that's exhilarating. Just pushing the gas peddle on a vehicle is boring. 
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:

Lots of misrepresentation online - again, no surprise. I've been reading up on this to determine if the reporting was correct, and it appears mostly not. The presentation was in Swedish so a little difficult to tell definitively, but both his own clarification in English and some translated comments show that he did not advocate or even suggest eating human flesh. He's a professor of marketing and his research is around understanding acceptability of certain ideas. Part of his talk was around what alternate foods might be acceptable in the future, and where the line will be drawn. The human flesh aspect was part of that progression - e.g., will people eat artificial meat? will people eat insect protein? will people break the cannibalism taboo? Breitbart et al misunderstood, but then again they're not known for subtle distinctions.

More info provided here:

Shut uppa your face - nobody's interested in reality anymore! :nuh_uh:
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:

Do you mean bicycle or motor bike? If bicycle, I'll agree with that, but in that case it's your own effort and strength and expanding your limits that's exhilarating. Just pushing the gas peddle on a vehicle is boring. 
    I don't know about that.  Cruising around yesterday in the countryside listening to pj on sirius was pretty damn fun.  
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:

bicycles are fine, but I'm talking about super bikes.  In my youth, I used to amateur race in Florida.  It's not just turning a throttle.  In fact those races were some of the most physically and mentally exhausting endeavors of my life.  Second only to laying 600 sq feet of sod at my house which I'm currently taking a break from doing.  I'm too old for this shit.  
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    PJ_Soul said:
    I have to agree. This car addiction in North America is a big problem. So many people are being ridiculously defensive and stubborn when it comes to this topic. Many still seem to think that having a car is some sort of badge of honour or "real" adulthood, and a LOT of people actually look down on those who choose to live car-free. It's quite sad.
    It's a necessity for millions of people,  the day to day logistics of my life could not be done without a vehicle.  
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    It's a necessity for millions of people,  the day to day logistics of my life could not be done without a vehicle.  
    I am not talking about necessity. That has nothing to do with the point me or S_C are making.
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,709
    Smellyman said:
    benjs said:
    Smellyman said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Smellyman said:

I make car payment every month the way my father taught me to.  And I don't pay any interest on those payments.  In fact, I earn interest on them.  How?  By having a car that is already paid for and setting aside money each month in an interest bearing account until there is enough saved up to replace the current vehicle.  Same with everything else I need money for.  For example, every month I set aside money for my car and house insurance.  When the bills comes, the money is there and I pay them-- and keep the interest I earned.  It amazes me how few people have figured out how to budget this way and instead live paycheck-to-paycheck. 
    PJ_Soul said:
    When I lived in San Francisco, I occasionally had an old beater car that ran about just as often as it didn't and when it was down, I got around just fine on Muni buses and street cars and walking.  Where I live now that, that is not possible.  If I could find a livable city here in the U.S. I would do that again but I'm kind of stuck where I am for now.  I do my best to ride share and have as many no-drive days as possible (more and more these days).    The days of car happy driving are numbered and if I were young, I would get myself in a no-car situation again as quickly as possible. 
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    edited October 2019
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    I am not talking about necessity. That has nothing to do with the point me or S_C are making.
    I think the difference here is city folk compared to suburband/rural people.  If I moved to a city I wouldn’t have a car but that obviously isn’t reality.  
    Post edited by mcgruff10 on
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    I think the difference here is city folk compared to suburband/rural people.  If I moved to a city I wouldn’t have a car but that obviously isn’t reality.  
    I'd lived in walkable cities for around 25 years, but moved to a shitty suburb in 2015. Other than getting my kids to hockey practice or doc appointments and back, I very rarely drive anywhere. We have two cars for divide-and-conquer days (i.e., when the kids have stuff scheduled at the same time but at different locations), but I still cycle, walk, bum a ride, hop on a bus/train, or take a Lyft basically anywhere I go without the family.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:

More info provided here:

Shut uppa your face - nobody's interested in reality anymore! :nuh_uh:
    Just the facts, ma’am. 
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    I love cars.  I love driving them.  I love fixing them.  I love rebuilding them.  I love getting dirty underneath them.  I love racing them.  Am I a fool?  Just curious, because I don't feel stupid most of the time, but I love being judged, so fire away.  
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,709
    mrussel1 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    I love cars.  I love driving them.  I love fixing them.  I love rebuilding them.  I love getting dirty underneath them.  I love racing them.  Am I a fool?  Just curious, because I don't feel stupid most of the time, but I love being judged, so fire away.  
    I get it, M.  I was a big car enthusiast when I was young and sort of still am in a way.  I loved my first car- a mid 60's Riley 1.5 with it's rosewood dash, leather seats and amber blinking turn-signal arm- and equally loved my '65 Chevy Malibu.  And  I have to admit that I really like my Prius.  It gets great gas mileage, it will last at least 300,000 miles.  With back seats that fold flat and a rear hatch, I can haul several boxes of books when I need to. 

But times are changing.  We need to start finding other things to focus on.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    edited October 2019
    Smellyman said:
    I’m with ya.  I know that everyone has priorities, but my #1 priority is to never have credit card or car debt again.  My wife and I set a budget and usually buy low mileage used vehicles.  I wonder if cars would cost so much if everyone refused to take out loans for them?  
    Currently, we have two vehicles, one with 216,000 miles on it (vehicles will run a long time if you take care of them), and another (2011 Chevy Equinox) with 60,000 that we payed $8,000 cash for (when it was at 30,000 miles).  We had budgeted $20,000, but were out for a walk and some old grandad that doesn’t drive anymore had it for sale in his driveway.  
    Currently, even though we have two reliable vehicles, we put put back a portion of our paycheck every month to build up for our next one down the line or any repairs that creep up. I am fine missing out on the latest and greatest, though, and try to invest in things that do not depreciate so fast.  Again, not ragging on anyone, but I hear people saying all the time “you will always have a car payment”, and you definitely do NOT “have” to.
    Post edited by PJPOWER on
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    There's nothing wrong with a car payment if your rate is below the average rate of market return.  You would not pay cash in that scenario under standard economic principles.  If someone is willing to lend you money at 1-5%, which you get during low discount rate times,  you take it all day even if you don't need it.  Take it from a fool.