Options

Swedish climate activist Greta Thunberg on cover of TIME

Comments

• Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,064
    pjl44 said:
    Whatever negative comments some have about her, you can't say that she doesn't walk the walk.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/greta-thunberg-nordic-prize-1.5340672

Teen climate activist Greta Thunberg, who has inspired protests around the world urging leaders to better tackle global warming, has declined an environmental prize, saying "the climate movement does not need any more prizes."

Two fellow climate activists spoke on Thunberg's behalf at an awards ceremony Tuesday in Stockholm for the regional interparliamentary Nordic Council's prizes. The two read a statement thanking the group for the honour.

Thunberg, 16, is currently in California.

But Sofia and Isabella Axelsson quoted Thunberg as saying "what we need is for our rulers and politicians to listen to the research."

The Nordic Council hands out annual prizes for literature, youth literature, film, music and the environment, each worth 350,000 Danish kroner ($68,000 Cdn).

It was not the first prize the climate activist has been nominated for or won.

Three Norwegian lawmakers nominated her for the Nobel Peace Prize this year because they believe "the massive movement Greta has set in motion is a very important peace contribution."

Last year, about three months into her school climate strike campaign, Thunberg declined another award — the Children's Climate Prize, which is awarded by a Swedish electricity company — because many of the finalists had to fly to Stockholm for the ceremony.

Thunberg notes that flights contribute to global warming, so she sailed across the Atlantic Ocean for two weeks on a zero-emissions sailboat to reach New York. There the Swede scolded a UN climate conference in September , repeatedly asking, "How dare you?"

"We are in the beginning of a mass extinction and yet all you can talk about is money. You are failing us," she said.

Weeks later, Thunberg won the 2019 Right Livelihood Award — known as the Alternative Nobel — "for inspiring and amplifying political demands for urgent climate action reflecting scientific facts."

In May 2019, she was featured on the cover of Time magazine, which named her a "next generation leader."

lol

Sailing team to fly 2 crew to US to bring Thunberg boat back

https://apnews.com/be12be49011743daaa3646edb0de0b61
    I think she’s doing her best within what she has control over. I didn’t get consulted on who crewed the plane the last time I flew, or who drove the last bus I got on. 
    Have none of these people heard of teleconferences?
  • Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    pjl44 said:
    pjl44 said:
    Whatever negative comments some have about her, you can't say that she doesn't walk the walk.

Teen climate activist Greta Thunberg, who has inspired protests around the world urging leaders to better tackle global warming, has declined an environmental prize, saying "the climate movement does not need any more prizes."

Two fellow climate activists spoke on Thunberg's behalf at an awards ceremony Tuesday in Stockholm for the regional interparliamentary Nordic Council's prizes. The two read a statement thanking the group for the honour.

But Sofia and Isabella Axelsson quoted Thunberg as saying "what we need is for our rulers and politicians to listen to the research."

The Nordic Council hands out annual prizes for literature, youth literature, film, music and the environment, each worth 350,000 Danish kroner ($68,000 Cdn).

Three Norwegian lawmakers nominated her for the Nobel Peace Prize this year because they believe "the massive movement Greta has set in motion is a very important peace contribution."

Last year, about three months into her school climate strike campaign, Thunberg declined another award — the Children's Climate Prize, which is awarded by a Swedish electricity company — because many of the finalists had to fly to Stockholm for the ceremony.

Thunberg notes that flights contribute to global warming, so she sailed across the Atlantic Ocean for two weeks on a zero-emissions sailboat to reach New York. There the Swede scolded a UN climate conference in September , repeatedly asking, "How dare you?"

"We are in the beginning of a mass extinction and yet all you can talk about is money. You are failing us," she said.

Weeks later, Thunberg won the 2019 Right Livelihood Award — known as the Alternative Nobel — "for inspiring and amplifying political demands for urgent climate action reflecting scientific facts."

In May 2019, she was featured on the cover of Time magazine, which named her a "next generation leader."

lol

I think she’s doing her best within what she has control over. I didn’t get consulted on who crewed the plane the last time I flew, or who drove the last bus I got on. 
    Have none of these people heard of teleconferences?
    Why teleconference when the Eco folks can get on airplanes and attend another climate conference, tell the rest of us how to live while most of them do nothing...oh I forgot you can pay a carbon tax or carbon offsets credits that makes those folks feel like they are sacrificing.  I give up listening to most of them.  But at least Greta walks the walk the best she can...unlike lowlife politicians who see climate change as a way to tax people while doing nothing.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,709
    pjl44 said:

lol

Some irony here, to be sure, but was that Greta's idea?  No, of course not.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    pearljammr78pearljammr78 Posts: 1,613
    edited November 2019
    I love Greta’s passion, ideals, message and the whole thing. She is a powerful voice for every generation, now and future. 

But this brings me to ask about carbon footprints. What kinda impact do these rallies have? Thousands and thousands of people all traveling to a location. That’s a lot of planes, trains and automobiles. 

I was thinking about this the other night after reading about PJ doing possible residencies. What is a bigger carbon impact. A band touring from city to city. Or a band doing a residencies where the fans have to travel from who knows where to the city of choice. Is there a good answer or is there no good that can come from touring. 

Maybe I’m just an idiot. Looks like that’s the one. 

Thread integrity. Greta rules!!!🤘🏽

Peace,Love and Pearl Jam.
  • Options
    I love Greta’s passion, ideals, message and the whole thing. She is a powerful voice for every generation, now and future. 

But this brings me to ask about carbon footprints. What kinda impact do these rallies have? Thousands and thousands of people all traveling to a location. That’s a lot of planes, trains and automobiles. 

I was thinking about this the other night after reading about PJ doing possible residencies. What is a bigger carbon impact. A band touring from city to city. Or a band doing a residencies where the fans have to travel from who knows where to the city of choice. Is there a good answer or is there no good that can come from touring. 

Great points, pj78, and excellent, difficult questions.   

On the one hand, I very much agree that big rallies can leave a major footprint if people are driving from a distance to attend them.  I don't know, but I'm guessing that because they take place in large cities that many of those in attendance have taken mass transit.   I hope somehow a question like yours filters out to organizers of such rallies and that they will take measures to encourage people to take public transit and do what ever they can to reduce environmental impact.  I do think the rallies themselves do a lot to promote awareness- and how sad that awareness about such an issue is not universal (although I would think by now it would be).

Wow- the touring question.  That's a tough one.  Pearl Jam has made attempts at offsetting carbon for tours by planting trees but I have to wonder how much of an offset they really achieve?  Do they take into account their own carbon footprint AND the amount of carbon released by the travel done by fans?  Again, I hope a question like yours filters back to the band and their management and that they would take a serious look at such a question.

Another issue question came to mind today regarding my own participation in excess carbon output.  I recently caved in to the temptation to buy the vinyl LP/single set, Colorado, by Neil Young and Crazy Horse.  I've been a Neil Young fan from practically day one-  or at least back to April, 1967 when I held the main spot light on the man at a Buffalo Springfield show at my high school.  I could probably come up with a lot of justification for buying this album, talk about how analog versions are easier on my nerve damaged ears, etc., but the truth is, both Mr. Young and myself have contributed in excess carbon output this time around.  The album is pressed on three sides of two vinyl platters AND includes a 7" single.  So why not just a double album and no single?  And this coming from a man who repeated talks about how we are screwing up the environment (yes, Neil, we are.)

I'm not going to burn that album or wear a hair shirt for a week and stick needles in my eyes for being such a sinner, but these are the kind of choices I need to start considering more and more as we move into the post carbon-neutral time line.  The going is only going to get more rough.  I need to work harder to lessen my own impact.  My just saying,  "Well, at least I didn't have kids," is probably not enough anymore. 
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options

I think this is really the crux of the problem. There are plenty of people on board with finding a solution, but when you see things like this it makes you wonder how much the people at the forefront of the movement really believe it. 

Based on everything I've looked into myself, the elephant in the room seems to be that we can't make much of a difference without a miracle. (Who convinces China and India to drastically cut emissions? Greta?) Bickering with people who still think it's a hoax and gluing one's self to a roadway is a waste of time. We either need new efficient fuel sources or to spend our resources adjusting for the changes.
  • Options
    pjl44 said:

I think this is really the crux of the problem. There are plenty of people on board with finding a solution, but when you see things like this it makes you wonder how much the people at the forefront of the movement really believe it. 

Based on everything I've looked into myself, the elephant in the room seems to be that we can't make much of a difference without a miracle. (Who convinces China and India to drastically cut emissions? Greta?) Bickering with people who still think it's a hoax and gluing one's self to a roadway is a waste of time. We either need new efficient fuel sources or to spend our resources adjusting for the changes.
    I wish there was some magic form of efficient fuels but the true of the matter is, there is nothing that will replace fossil fuels in terms of abundance and readily available energy.  James Howard Kunstler in hi book The Long Emergency and Richard Heinberg in his books Power Down, Peak Everything and The Party's Over clearly explain why things like solar power, corn fuels, turbine power, etc. will not replace fossil fuels.  I highly recommend those books.  The plain and simple fact is, there are too many human beings on this planet and what the earth has to provide for 7.7 billion people with a first world lifestyle is not possible.  It just isn't.  As it is, even with much of the world still living in poverty, humans use each year what the earth has to provide in the way of resources by the 7th month of the year (you can read about that here: https://www.overshootday.org/ ).

But all that said, disparaging the efforts of young people who see the disaster that is their future world before them and who are calling attention to what is happening is, to my way of thinking, the highest form of aspersion.  These young people are pissed off and frightened by the looming and potentially lethal difficulties facing their not-to-distant future, and they have a goddamn good right to feel that way. My parents generation and my generation and the one after that have fucked up the planet and their future.  If they want to glue themselves to the road as a way of saying WAKE UP, good for them.  I will in no way way slander their cries of frustration. 

• Options
    i_lov_iti_lov_it Perth, Western Australia Posts: 4,007
    there it is. in the trump thread. 

So in your mind someone who disagrees with your opinion is a troll...are you for real dude?
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    Why do some of you not leave i_lov_it alone?  This person owes none of you any explanation for why or how they feel about a certain topic.  Jeesh.  
    because if you come to a thread to drop an incendiary comment like that and refuse to explain it, that's what we call: TROLLING. 
    Thank you for the back up Meltdown99...clearly HFD likes calling people trolls if they disagree with him...and really HFD incendiary comments?...why would you say that?...have you read half your comments wtf? Haha
    Post edited by i_lov_it on
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    Learn to think HFD when commenting on here....
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Sorry, but I don’t understand the need to keep rehashing this.

Would you take it to PMs?  Please and thank you. 
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    brianlux said:
    Why do some of you not leave i_lov_it alone?  This person owes none of you any explanation for why or how they feel about a certain topic.  Jeesh.  
    because if you come to a thread to drop an incendiary comment like that and refuse to explain it, that's what we call: TROLLING. 
    Being the curious person that I am, I wish i_lov_it would have explained why he is not a fan of Greta Thunberg but the reactions to his initial comment sent the whole thing whirling into the AMT abyss and we will likely never know.  So my thought is, let's move on and see what Greta is up to.

...hold on...

...OK, here's what new:

Apparently the Republican party has a teenage girl problem.  Here's what The Guardian has to say about that:

look, if they are going to fly off the fucking handle by being mislabeled as something they say they aren't, then really, i don't think we were ever going to get a straight answer. i literally said "i made an observation based on the comment" and then "fine (and repeated my question). i think my assumption was perfectly justified, even if it turned out incorrect. and i've been called things a thousand times worse and still answered the question posed. they never intended on answering, looking back, in my opinion. and that's fine. live and learn not to engage with that type of person. 

if they are so fucking petty as to follow me to an unrelated thread and troll me, like i said, live and learn. 
    Really dude???...you need to get off your high fucking hoarse and have something constructive to say...
  • Options
    Don't ***Disagree*** with HFD otherwise you'll be called a troll haha
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    Interesting if HFD says troll again?...place your bets lol
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    As UN climate talks switch from Chile to Spain, Greta Thunberg seeks a way to attend

https://globalnews.ca/news/6116763/un-climate-talks-chile-spain-greta-thunberg/?utm_medium=Facebook&utm_source=GlobalNational&fbclid=IwAR2adv_Lw5Z7NnQw8Xh0aZxjLOAsI5yXQ8nFYB8T7HS1WW7BiigvNQ7sIlw

LOL.  Why not.  Lets all hop aboard more planes hold another conference and tell the pions how to live.  I am going to enjoy life and the ride. Well, I will enjoy the final 12 years of earth or however any more years we got left,
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    As UN climate talks switch from Chile to Spain, Greta Thunberg seeks a way to attend

https://globalnews.ca/news/6116763/un-climate-talks-chile-spain-greta-thunberg/?utm_medium=Facebook&utm_source=GlobalNational&fbclid=IwAR2adv_Lw5Z7NnQw8Xh0aZxjLOAsI5yXQ8nFYB8T7HS1WW7BiigvNQ7sIlw

LOL.  Why not.  Lets all hop aboard more planes hold another conference and tell the pions how to live.  I am going to enjoy life and the ride. Well, I will enjoy the final 12 years of earth or however any more years we got left,
    Greta doesn't fly.  And I don't either, but not because of her.  I stopped flying before she was born.

I can't think of any time Greta has told "pions"  (I assume you mean "peons" as in "one subjected to peonage")  how to live.  Perhaps you would provide some verifiable examples?

Good for you for enjoying life.  Pretty much everyone I know wants to enjoy life (except for this one guy who flagellates himself and wears hair shirts and... but you probably don't wanna know the rest of that story so...).

So you think the earth has only 12 or so more years left?  Man, it's gonna take on hell of a big asteroid to take out the entire freaking planet.  I hope to be around to watch that mother fucker!

• Options
    brianlux said:

Greta doesn't fly.  And I don't either, but not because of her.  I stopped flying before she was born.

I can't think of any time Greta has told "pions"  (I assume you mean "peons" as in "one subjected to peonage")  how to live.  Perhaps you would provide some verifiable examples?

Good for you for enjoying life.  Pretty much everyone I know wants to enjoy life (except for this one guy who flagellates himself and wears hair shirts and... but you probably don't wanna know the rest of that story so...).

So you think the earth has only 12 or so more years left?  Man, it's gonna take on hell of a big asteroid to take out the entire freaking planet.  I hope to be around to watch that mother fucker!
    I know she does not fly?  Most of all the other eco folks will.  Hey, I am not the one that has tossed aroung the 12 year the world is ending...that is coming from the eco folks.  I am just rolling with it.  I am waiting for the eco folks to lead by example...will not happen
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    i_lov_it said:
    Thank you for the back up Meltdown99...clearly HFD likes calling people trolls if they disagree with him...and really HFD incendiary comments?...why would you say that?...have you read half your comments wtf? Haha
    No problem.  No one has to explain their position on any topic if they choose not to.  We did not need a ignore feature, we needed an option to disable the quote button.  

Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    brianlux said:

I know she does not fly?  Most of all the other eco folks will.  Hey, I am not the one that has tossed aroung the 12 year the world is ending...that is coming from the eco folks.  I am just rolling with it.  I am waiting for the eco folks to lead by example...will not happen
    I don't know how to answer your question.

Eco folks?  We jam econo!

• Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,831
    hedonist said:
    Sorry, but I don’t understand the need to keep rehashing this.

Would you take it to PMs?  Please and thank you. 
    just ignore it hedo. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,542
    Jack Ass.....

• Options
    Jack Ass.....

Wouldn't want that angry man's karma.

• Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    Starting next school year, Italian schoolchildren will learn about climate change and sustainability as part of their core curriculum, and other subjects will be viewed through this lens as well when appropriate (e.g., geology, history). 

I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,831
    brianlux said:
    Jack Ass.....

he's been banned from youtube and twitter as of yesterday or so. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Jack Ass.....

Could see some people on this forum posting something exactly like this.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    brianlux said:
    pjl44 said:

I wish there was some magic form of efficient fuels but the true of the matter is, there is nothing that will replace fossil fuels in terms of abundance and readily available energy.  James Howard Kunstler in hi book The Long Emergency and Richard Heinberg in his books Power Down, Peak Everything and The Party's Over clearly explain why things like solar power, corn fuels, turbine power, etc. will not replace fossil fuels.  I highly recommend those books.  The plain and simple fact is, there are too many human beings on this planet and what the earth has to provide for 7.7 billion people with a first world lifestyle is not possible.  It just isn't.  As it is, even with much of the world still living in poverty, humans use each year what the earth has to provide in the way of resources by the 7th month of the year (you can read about that here: https://www.overshootday.org/ ).

But all that said, disparaging the efforts of young people who see the disaster that is their future world before them and who are calling attention to what is happening is, to my way of thinking, the highest form of aspersion.  These young people are pissed off and frightened by the looming and potentially lethal difficulties facing their not-to-distant future, and they have a goddamn good right to feel that way. My parents generation and my generation and the one after that have fucked up the planet and their future.  If they want to glue themselves to the road as a way of saying WAKE UP, good for them.  I will in no way way slander their cries of frustration. 

You're absolutely right about the population and, I suspect, about fossil fuels. Someone smarter than me might be able to make a compelling case for nuclear, but that ain't me.

I see zero indication that younger generations are going to make these drastic lifestyle changes, despite being more vocal. If the solution centers around elimination (or dramatic reduction) of air travel, cars, meat-eating, reproduction, etc., it ain't happening. Those who think it can need a come-to-Jesus moment. The best use of resources is toward adapting. 

Last, being a public activist comes with criticism and occasional aspersions. If it's upsetting to see a kid subjected to that, think twice about putting kids in that position. 
  • Options
    pjl44 said:
    brianlux said:
    pjl44 said:

You're absolutely right about the population and, I suspect, about fossil fuels. Someone smarter than me might be able to make a compelling case for nuclear, but that ain't me.

I see zero indication that younger generations are going to make these drastic lifestyle changes, despite being more vocal. If the solution centers around elimination (or dramatic reduction) of air travel, cars, meat-eating, reproduction, etc., it ain't happening. Those who think it can need a come-to-Jesus moment. The best use of resources is toward adapting. 

Last, being a public activist comes with criticism and occasional aspersions. If it's upsetting to see a kid subjected to that, think twice about putting kids in that position. 
    Nuclear would be helpful if it were not for the potential of meltdown and the as-yet unsolved issue of what to do with the waste.

"I see zero indication that younger generations are going to make these drastic lifestyle changes..."
    Yeah, that is definitely something they will have to come to grips with.  I don't believe the future will offer them an alternative to doing so.

"being a public activist comes with criticism and occasional aspersions."
    It could be worse.  Public activist during the Vietnam war in the late 60's were often jailed and/or had their head bashed by clubs.  These kids will have to be thick skinned to deal with some of the criticism but hopefully won't need thick enough skulls to prevent concussions from  beatings.

• Options
    brianlux said:
    Jack Ass.....

he's been banned from youtube and twitter as of yesterday or so. 
    Rightly deserved! 

• Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,542
    Flat earthers
    9/11 was a govt plot
    Jews run the worlds financial systems
    And now this....

120-year-old photo sparks Greta Thunberg conspiracy theories. https://nypost.com/2019/11/19/120-year-old-photo-sparks-greta-thunberg-conspiracy-theories/
  • Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    She's a time traveler! Sent from the future to save us. I wonder why she went to the Yukon in 1898, though? To pick up a little gold to fund her travels?

It is a cool picture. Remarkable resemblance. 
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08