Options

Swedish climate activist Greta Thunberg on cover of TIME

Comments

• Options
    rgambs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Well since that Lovely Rita parody is on the "I love her" side of the "yikes" spectrum, here's one from the "I hate her" side of the "yikes" spectrum. I don't get it. Why are some people up in arms about this girl to the point where they'd say crazy stuff about her? I watched her UN speech, agreed with most of her points, laughed and cringed at her overdramatic performance, and moved on. This guy should be more like that. Just watch it and move on....

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/greta-thunberg-post-soccer-coach-fired
    I liked her message a lot but I do agree with you that she was overdramatic at some points.  (Maybe that was her disability coming out a little?)
    However I don't get the hate, to me it's great that she is rallying people to make some positive change.  
    It's all political. Climate-change advocacy is looked at as a "left" cause, so the right is going to fight it. No need to be mean about it though. She's a kid with Asperger's. People need to lighten up.
    Why are people focusing so much on her having Asberger?

...it's not uncommon... and it's not like she's an alien from another planet.

This constant focus on that.... like what has her having Asbeger to do with people having to lighten up or not?

From your post it sure sounds just like a way to disregard her or wave her away.

And Sally Field was "overdramatic" (disgusting word to use in the context of Gretas speech) when she won an Oscar - she must have Asbergers?
    Well you're obviously very passionate about her so anything that isn't full-on praise of her might come off as "disregarding" her to you. And speaking of "overdramatic," spare me the rhetoric about "disgusting use of the word in context of Greta's speech." Disgusting? Oh come on. But good point on Sally Field. She's a performer, who was performing on that Oscar stage. Like Greta was a performer on the UN stage.

"I shouldn't even be here! I should be across the ocean at school! HOW DARE YOU!!!!" 
    Just because you don't get passionate doesn't mean others don't.  
    If you can't see the sincerity she's brought to the table since she started this all alone, that's a failing on your part.
    I didn’t say she was acting which would suggest insincerity, I said she was performing. Like a politician performs. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,019
    edited October 2019
    Oh god what are you one of these male feminists or something? 
    Of course I am.

And you are one who disregards Greta with "She's a kid with Asperger's. "
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    Oh god what are you one of these male feminists or something? 
    Of course I am.

And you are one who disregards Greta with "She's a kid with Asperger's. "
    You keep cherry-picking parts of my quote without quoting the part that answered that. I said " she's a teenager with a mental health diagnosis so people should lighten up and you take offense to THAT?"

And of course you didn't respond to this.....

"
    Well you're obviously very passionate about her so anything that isn't full-on praise of her might come off as "disregarding" her to you"

....because I guess you don't want to admit that you're some 40-some-year-old that's obsessed with a 16-year-old? 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,019
    edited October 2019
    It's just like when old, white man Loa Falkman petted Alexandra Dahlström condescendingly on the head when she wanted to talk about sexism in her winning speech at the 1999 "Swedish Oscars"

https://youtu.be/fc0WNOoS-Cc

https://youtu.be/BcexNP3Pl3w

"Oh it's cute, but know your place"

Replace "young woman who want to talk about something important" with "young person who happens to have Asberger who want to talk about something important"
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    Hi!Hi! Posts: 3,095
    Hi! said:
    Tesla model 3 Short Range is about the same price as a Jeep and probably cheaper considering savings from gas over the long run.
    BS.  I live in Canada.  Add the exchange then lets talk.  I never buy new and usually stay around 20 G's. you are not getting an electric car for 20 g's.  I sure as heck am not ever buying a used electric.  To my knowledge, Tesla is not manufacturing 4 wheel drive vehicles and that's all I drive.  The point being is that gas-powered vehicles are the best bang for your buck and it's still not even close.
    I’m not sure what the exchange rate has to do with it, unless you’re comparing price of, let’s say, buying the model3 in the us vs. buying the Jeep in Canada. I think a new Jeep is more expensive than the model 3 in Canada. You can get awd upgrades in all Tesla’s, I think. I personally would never buy a used Jeep, I think they are notorious for having bad transmissions, IDK.

Detroit 2000, Detroit 2003 1-2, Grand Rapids VFC 2004, Philly 2005, Grand Rapids 2006, Detroit 2006, Cleveland 2006, Lollapalooza 2007, Detroit Eddie Solo 2011, Detroit 2014, Chicago 2016 1-2, Chicago 2018 1-2, Ohana Encore 2021 1-2, Chicago Eddie/Earthlings 2022 1-2, Nashville 2022, St. Louis 2022

• Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,108
    Hi! said:
    Hi! said:
    Tesla model 3 Short Range is about the same price as a Jeep and probably cheaper considering savings from gas over the long run.
    BS.  I live in Canada.  Add the exchange then lets talk.  I never buy new and usually stay around 20 G's. you are not getting an electric car for 20 g's.  I sure as heck am not ever buying a used electric.  To my knowledge, Tesla is not manufacturing 4 wheel drive vehicles and that's all I drive.  The point being is that gas-powered vehicles are the best bang for your buck and it's still not even close.
    I’m not sure what the exchange rate has to do with it, unless you’re comparing price of, let’s say, buying the model3 in the us vs. buying the Jeep in Canada. I think a new Jeep is more expensive than the model 3 in Canada. You can get awd upgrades in all Tesla’s, I think. I personally would never buy a used Jeep, I think they are notorious for having bad transmissions, IDK.

Have you priced Tesla’s? Those monthly payments are not cheap by any means. Wish they were.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    Hi! said:
    Hi! said:

Have you priced Tesla’s? Those monthly payments are not cheap by any means. Wish they were.
    Sort of. You get the base model, Model 3 Standard range for under 40000.

Detroit 2000, Detroit 2003 1-2, Grand Rapids VFC 2004, Philly 2005, Grand Rapids 2006, Detroit 2006, Cleveland 2006, Lollapalooza 2007, Detroit Eddie Solo 2011, Detroit 2014, Chicago 2016 1-2, Chicago 2018 1-2, Ohana Encore 2021 1-2, Chicago Eddie/Earthlings 2022 1-2, Nashville 2022, St. Louis 2022

• Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,108
    Part of the issue with cost is actually in the financing. I can always get 0-1.9% financing from the car mfgrs I’ve bought. Tesla does not offer that. 

Nice cars and I would want one, but you make it all wheel drive, add in the color cost, add in the self-driving (and why would you buy a Tesla without it???)...it’s not cheap.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    Part of the issue with cost is actually in the financing. I can always get 0-1.9% financing from the car mfgrs I’ve bought. Tesla does not offer that. 

Nice cars and I would want one, but you make it all wheel drive, add in the color cost, add in the self-driving (and why would you buy a Tesla without it???)...it’s not cheap.
    I'd be so scared to use a self-driving car. Not that I don't have faith in the technology, but I'd be worried about all the other drivers on the road. Wouldn't want to leave it up to my car's computer to react if someone in the lane next to me swerves into my lane. 

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,888
    edited October 2019

Tesla s are ridiculously expensive.  Plus from what I read you can’t even buy them after you lease. No thanks. 
    Post edited by mcgruff10 on
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:

Tesla s are ridiculously expensive.  Plus from what I read you can’t even buy them after you lease. No thanks. 
    In NJ 0% sales tax and 10% savings  on peek toll price incentives

• Options
    And the federal tax credit is $1750 +, enough for your charging station.🙂

• Options
    Cheapest model is 75k at approx $1100/month.  Yeah hell no lol

• Options
    mcgruff10 said:

Suv?

• Options
    Hi! said:
    mcgruff10 said:

Suv?
    No four door.  Couldn’t find a suv in my area.  
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    mcgruff10 said:
    Hi! said:
    mcgruff10 said:

Suv?
    No four door.  Couldn’t find a suv in my area.  
    Hmm... I don’t see that. Model 3 is starting at 35000. It is a 4 door.
    Post edited by Hi! on

• Options
    Hi! said:
    mcgruff10 said:

Suv?
    Just found it, 81k.    Yikes
  • Options

"Well you're obviously very passionate about her so anything that isn't full-on praise of her might come off as "disregarding" her to you"
    You are always free to point me in the direction of your favorite Alt-Right fringe Canadian youtube channel for when you need some of this "disregarding" of Greta.

Maybe a segment or two on the dangers of feminism will be available from there too?
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    mcgruff10 said:
    Hi! said:
    mcgruff10 said:

Suv?
    Just found it, 81k.    Yikes
    And it probably has auto pilot and all the upgrades?
    I think were looking at different models.
    Post edited by Hi! on

• Options
    SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,520
    These are getting more and more popular in Taiwan.  Scooters are the main source of transport here and Gogoro electric scooters are all the rage.

There are battery stations setup all over (more than gas stations)  just pull up take out your battery and exchange with a charged battery.

• Options

"Well you're obviously very passionate about her so anything that isn't full-on praise of her might come off as "disregarding" her to you"
    You are always free to point me in the direction of your favorite Alt-Right fringe Canadian youtube channel for when you need some of this "disregarding" of Greta.

Maybe a segment or two on the dangers of feminism will be available from there too?
    I think you're projecting other people's "disregard" of this girl (which apparently upsets you) onto me. The the entire premise of my original post was "Hey she's a kid with a disorder, leave her alone." And from that you're apparently lumping me in with alt-right Canadians that hate her....or something? HOW DARE YOU!

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    Smellyman said:
    These are getting more and more popular in Taiwan.  Scooters are the main source of transport here and Gogoro electric scooters are all the rage.

There are battery stations setup all over (more than gas stations)  just pull up take out your battery and exchange with a charged battery.

That's pretty sweet.

• Options
    dignin said:
    Smellyman said:

That's pretty sweet.

Until you hit a squirrel lol.  
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    dignin said:
    Smellyman said:

That's pretty sweet.

https://youtu.be/oOS00ttAblQ
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,722
    I have a 2008 Prius.  It's really well made, I can get as high as 50 MPG on the flats and I hope to have it for at least 300,000 miles.  I feel good about all that and I think it's a FAR better choice than a pick up truck or SUV, etc.  But the fact remains, we cannot continue on as a car addicted, one person per vehicle society.  Not with 7.7 billion people on earth.  ALL cars require a large amount of resources (including water) to build.  ALL cars require mining operations that destroy natural habitat.  And they all use energy of one sort or another.  If the world were not so heavily populated, we could all drive our little fuel efficient cars and be happy happy happy.  But in this over-crowed world where we take more from the earth than Mother Nature can provide each year, that just can't go on indefinitely.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    mcgruff10 said:
    dignin said:
    Smellyman said:

That's pretty sweet.

I 100% knew you would have a pseudo-macho, not very funny joke to respond with and you did not (or did?) disappoint.

Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    rgambs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    dignin said:
    Smellyman said:

That's pretty sweet.

I 100% knew you would have a pseudo-macho, not very funny joke to respond with and you did not (or did?) disappoint.

Oh francis lighten up and enjoy your scooter.  But if you feel safe on one of those feel free to transport your family around Ohio.  Merging onto the turnpike would be loads of fun. 
    Post edited by mcgruff10 on
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,632
    This is all very fascinating...
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    mcgruff10 said:
    rgambs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    dignin said:
    Smellyman said:

That's pretty sweet.

Oh francis lighten up and enjoy your scooter.  But if you feel safe on one of those feel free to transport your family around Ohio.  Merging onto the turnpike would be loads of fun. 
    True, I don't live in an area where that is a practical solution, and you may not either.  
    The thing is, nobody ever claimed it was a practical solution for situations like ours...which is why your predictable joke is lame.  It's like the Busch Lite version of a truck nuts attitude.  You can't recognize the practicality of something like scooters without a disclaimer that it isn't tough enough or cool enough. 
    I get that it was a joke, and I'm not half as offended as you think I am, but it is disheartening to see sentiments (even the lite versions) like that outside of the typical Facebook post from two-tooth, dirty wifebeater MAGA morons who are running around saying they will burn some tires in Greta's honor or rolling coal to spite her.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    kce8kce8 Posts: 1,636
    Goodness, does not one of you clever men have a daughter at home?
    Not even a teacher can hint in the position of a teenager? McGruff do not you have 4 or 5 kids of your own?

Your talk here makes me really stunned.
    You men always talk about the world's most important topics, want to know everything and are not able to interpret the situation of Greta correctly?
    Has anyone ever come up with the idea of ​​the unbelievable pressure on such a young person to constantly stand in public, always in the knowledge that most of people might think they are too young and inexperienced anyway and that they are not really taken seriously ?

Have you ever seen an interview with her in which she describes how and why she has gone all this way?
    You talk about "overacting" and "performing" ... what else?
    Did you ever try to empathize with her situation or even imagine how it would be if your daughter had to go through all this?
    All this hate and all the rejection she gets from everywhere, although she has only something good in mind for everyone?
    And you do not know that people with the Asperger syndrome can suppress their feelings bad?
    Instead of supporting someone who really wants to make things positive, people are just hostile to each other and the really important questions are not asked.

Yes, I just had to get rid of this, emotionally and spontaneously, exactly as it is not wanted here. Well I'm just a female too.
    But man, sometimes it just gets crazy here.

Maybe one of you will read and think through it. That would be nice. 
    Thanks