Options

Swedish climate activist Greta Thunberg on cover of TIME

Comments

• Options
    kce8 said:
    Did you ever try to empathize with her situation or even imagine how it would be if your daughter had to go through all this?
    She has to go through all of this? Has to? I thought she was willfully doing this because she want to do it. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    kce8kce8 Posts: 1,636
    kce8 said:
    Did you ever try to empathize with her situation or even imagine how it would be if your daughter had to go through all this?
    She has to go through all of this? Has to? I thought she was willfully doing this because she want to do it. 
    Oh come on. You do not ask that seriously, right?
    I thought you were listening?
    Of course she wants to do it. The point is that she wants to do this because she feels that nobody really does anything. She can not understand that. People know our problems, but nothing is done to make any profound changes.
    We've talked about it for decades and are going backwards.
    So she wants to do something and she feels she has to do it. She explained it heaps - if we adults did, she would not have to get up.
  • Options
    kce8 said:
    kce8 said:
    Of course she wants to do it. The point is that she wants to do this because she feels that nobody really does anything. She can not understand that. People know our problems, but nothing is done to make any profound changes.
    So she wants to do something and she feels she has to do it. She explained it heaps - if we adults did, she would not have to get up.
    Well you say she "had to go through all this" like she's some sort of prisoner or something. What is she going through? Not having to go to school? Getting a free month-long ride on a yacht to the U.N meeting? 

As for the part I bolded, Jesus, talk about a condescending tone. To people like yourself, there's only one thing I can say: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnyIreu7vuA
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,883
    edited October 2019
    kce8 said:
    Goodness, does not one of you clever men have a daughter at home?
    Not even a teacher can hint in the position of a teenager? McGruff do not you have 4 or 5 kids of your own?

Your talk here makes me really stunned.
    You men always talk about the world's most important topics, want to know everything and are not able to interpret the situation of Greta correctly?
    Has anyone ever come up with the idea of ​​the unbelievable pressure on such a young person to constantly stand in public, always in the knowledge that most of people might think they are too young and inexperienced anyway and that they are not really taken seriously ?

Have you ever seen an interview with her in which she describes how and why she has gone all this way?
    You talk about "overacting" and "performing" ... what else?
    All this hate and all the rejection she gets from everywhere, although she has only something good in mind for everyone?
    And you do not know that people with the Asperger syndrome can suppress their feelings bad?
    Instead of supporting someone who really wants to make things positive, people are just hostile to each other and the really important questions are not asked.

Yes, I just had to get rid of this, emotionally and spontaneously, exactly as it is not wanted here. Well I'm just a female too.
    But man, sometimes it just gets crazy here.

Maybe one of you will read and think through it. That would be nice. 
    Thanks
    I have a 15 year old daughter and my son is autistic so I recognize how the disability can impact ones way of communicating (which I have stated over and over again) hence the reason I felt she was overreacting or over emphasizing certain parts of her speech.  Not sure where you are coming from with the rest. And I realize she is a kid since I have five of my own but when you go on a global
    platform to make a point you do open yourself up to criticism.
    Post edited by mcgruff10 on
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    kce8 said:
    kce8 said:
    Well you say she "had to go through all this" like she's some sort of prisoner or something. What is she going through? Not having to go to school? Getting a free month-long ride on a yacht to the U.N meeting? 

As for the part I bolded, Jesus, talk about a condescending tone. To people like yourself, there's only one thing I can say: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnyIreu7vuA
    ??? Not having to go to school???
    Does it look like something like that is her motivation? 

I'm sorry if you feel offended. That was not my intention. I assumed you already knew what it was all about. 
    Thanks for the video. Made clear you don't want to understand.

• Options
    kce8 said:
    kce8 said:
    kce8 said:

I'm sorry if you feel offended. That was not my intention. I assumed you already knew what it was all about. 
    She's an advocate for Climate Change solutions. That's "what it was all about." What else is there to understand? Also, she's not the first advocate for climate change solutions.  And no, I don't think not going to school is her motivation. But again, YOU said she has to "go through all this" like she's carrying some sort of cross. I think missing school, taking transatlantic cruises. becoming famous, and having folks revere you (as you obviously revere her) isn't all that bad. 

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    kce8 said:
    Not even a teacher can hint in the position of a teenager? McGruff do not you have 4 or 5 kids of your own?

You men always talk about the world's most important topics, want to know everything and are not able to interpret the situation of Greta correctly?
    Has anyone ever come up with the idea of ​​the unbelievable pressure on such a young person to constantly stand in public, always in the knowledge that most of people might think they are too young and inexperienced anyway and that they are not really taken seriously ?

Have you ever seen an interview with her in which she describes how and why she has gone all this way?
    All this hate and all the rejection she gets from everywhere, although she has only something good in mind for everyone?
    And you do not know that people with the Asperger syndrome can suppress their feelings bad?
    Instead of supporting someone who really wants to make things positive, people are just hostile to each other and the really important questions are not asked.

Yes, I just had to get rid of this, emotionally and spontaneously, exactly as it is not wanted here. Well I'm just a female too.

Thanks
    I have a 15 year old daughter and my son is autistic so I recognize how the disability can impact ones way of communicating (which I have stated over and over again) hence the reason I felt she was overreacting or over emphasizing certain parts of her speech.  Not sure where you are coming from with the rest. And I realize she is a kid since I have five of my own but when you go on a global
    platform to make a point you do open yourself up to criticism.
    Saying she overreacted doesn't fit to not being able to suppress feelings normally. 
    I believe that all this pressure came out in her speech. I don't know, when I try to feel what she is going through at her age, I can absolutely understand her. I hoped some of you here would try to do too. 
    I do agree to the criticism part. But people are questioning her motives instead of asking themselves what else is wrong with dealing with these topics.
    Greta certainly did not think this would be easy, but I imagine she did not expect so much hatred and rejection from all around. 
    There are people in the world who are beginning to create countermovements. WTF?

For the rest: I read the last two pages like I said, that was my spontanious reaction.  I found people blaming each other etc.. talking about the wrong things here. My overreaction and I knew people wouldn't like it.
    And I'm feeling sorry for Greta in general. She should get more respect for what she is doing. There is nothing bad in it. Yes, I tried to make people think about her in a different way. People shouldn't talk her person, they should talk about her intensions about the climate and what everybody could do to make a difference.
    :peace:
  • Options
    kce8 said:
    kce8 said:
    kce8 said:

She's an advocate for Climate Change solutions. That's "what it was all about." What else is there to understand? Also, she's not the first advocate for climate change solutions.  And no, I don't think not going to school is her motivation. But again, YOU said she has to "go through all this" like she's carrying some sort of cross. I think missing school, taking transatlantic cruises. becoming famous, and having folks revere you (as you obviously revere her) isn't all that bad. 

Yep, right! 
    Again, she get's all this pressure from people who are questioning her motivations, hate messages etc. She doesn't deserve it. That's a lot for a kids soul. 

I just believe her and that non of your last two sentences is what she is all for it. Like she already said. 
    And you got my part here completely wrong! Folks like me? 
    This is the first time I stood up or said anything related to Greta. I never went to a protest or took action yet. I read about her and watched some videos and followed the news like everybody else. 
    I just couldn't stand the way this threat has developed. And I'm more like sure she is not doing anything of it for her personal advantage. I just feel sorry for her and I'm proud for her courage. 
    That's all.
  • Options
    kce8 said:
    kce8 said:
    kce8 said:
    kce8 said:

Yep, right! 
    Again, she get's all this pressure from people who are questioning her motivations, hate messages etc. She doesn't deserve it. That's a lot for a kids soul. 

I just believe her and that non of your last two sentences is what she is all for it. Like she already said. 
    And you got my part here completely wrong! Folks like me? 
    This is the first time I stood up or said anything related to Greta. I never went to a protest or took action yet. I read about her and watched some videos and followed the news like everybody else. 
    I just couldn't stand the way this threat has developed. And I'm more like sure she is not doing anything of it for her personal advantage. I just feel sorry for her and I'm proud for her courage. 
    That's all.
    Ok fair enough

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,883
    rgambs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    rgambs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    dignin said:
    Smellyman said:
    These are getting more and more popular in Taiwan.  Scooters are the main source of transport here and Gogoro electric scooters are all the rage.

There are battery stations setup all over (more than gas stations)  just pull up take out your battery and exchange with a charged battery.

That's pretty sweet.

Until you hit a squirrel lol.  
    I 100% knew you would have a pseudo-macho, not very funny joke to respond with and you did not (or did?) disappoint.

Oh francis lighten up and enjoy your scooter.  But if you feel safe on one of those feel free to transport your family around Ohio.  Merging onto the turnpike would be loads of fun. 
    True, I don't live in an area where that is a practical solution, and you may not either.  
    The thing is, nobody ever claimed it was a practical solution for situations like ours...which is why your predictable joke is lame.  It's like the Busch Lite version of a truck nuts attitude.  You can't recognize the practicality of something like scooters without a disclaimer that it isn't tough enough or cool enough. 
    I get that it was a joke, and I'm not half as offended as you think I am, but it is disheartening to see sentiments (even the lite versions) like that outside of the typical Facebook post from two-tooth, dirty wifebeater MAGA morons who are running around saying they will burn some tires in Greta's honor or rolling coal to spite her.
    I thought it was a pretty good joke; I definitely would have gotten laughs if I said that at a meeting.  I'm not sure where your macho male chauvinism tough enough cool enough edge about scooter jokes comes from but I am wondering if this would be an example of fake outrage.  Defending a scooter because someone made fun of it.   hmmmmmmmmm.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    If anything Greta showed amazing restraint and poise. The opposite of overreacting.

I would expect her and her generation to be way more upset.
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    mcgruff10 said:
    rgambs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    rgambs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    dignin said:
    Smellyman said:
    These are getting more and more popular in Taiwan.  Scooters are the main source of transport here and Gogoro electric scooters are all the rage.

There are battery stations setup all over (more than gas stations)  just pull up take out your battery and exchange with a charged battery.

That's pretty sweet.

I 100% knew you would have a pseudo-macho, not very funny joke to respond with and you did not (or did?) disappoint.

Oh francis lighten up and enjoy your scooter.  But if you feel safe on one of those feel free to transport your family around Ohio.  Merging onto the turnpike would be loads of fun. 
    True, I don't live in an area where that is a practical solution, and you may not either.  
    The thing is, nobody ever claimed it was a practical solution for situations like ours...which is why your predictable joke is lame.  It's like the Busch Lite version of a truck nuts attitude.  You can't recognize the practicality of something like scooters without a disclaimer that it isn't tough enough or cool enough. 
    I get that it was a joke, and I'm not half as offended as you think I am, but it is disheartening to see sentiments (even the lite versions) like that outside of the typical Facebook post from two-tooth, dirty wifebeater MAGA morons who are running around saying they will burn some tires in Greta's honor or rolling coal to spite her.
    I thought it was a pretty good joke; I definitely would have gotten laughs if I said that at a meeting.  I'm not sure where your macho male chauvinism tough enough cool enough edge about scooter jokes comes from but I am wondering if this would be an example of fake outrage.  Defending a scooter because someone made fun of it.   hmmmmmmmmm.
    Michael Scott (and every other hack comedian) made essentially the same joke about smart cars in what was meant to be an example of how he wasn't very funny.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,631
    So Mcgruff isn't going to be a professional comedian.  Who cares.  This is getting close to bullying for no apparent reason. 
  • Options
    SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,520
    mcgruff10 said:
    dignin said:
    Smellyman said:

That's pretty sweet.

They are nice and very solidly built, much better than regular scooters.  Everybody rides a scooter in Taiwan and this helps lead to much better air quality. 

This can work in most major cities in Europe and Asia.  Not as much in the US because of giant cities and selfish people.  But can for the daily short commuters

And of course with electric motors you have little maintenance, no fluid to change, better torque, better acceleration etc.

• Options
    edited October 2019
    mrussel1 said:
    So Mcgruff isn't going to be a professional comedian.  Who cares.  This is getting close to bullying for no apparent reason. 
    Is this a sarcastic outrage culture comment?  Bullying?  Oh the horror!  The outrage!
    lol
    McGruff is tough, he's not some wilting flower who feels bullied.  He's also a groovy guy which is why I'm not uncomfortable telling him his joke is not funny and smells like the guy who rides his bike around town because of the DUI's and hangs around the Circle K trying to bum loose cigarettes.
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,631
    rgambs said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Is this a sarcastic outrage culture comment?  Bullying?  Oh the horror!  The outrage!
    lol
    McGruff is tough, he's not some wilting flower who feels bullied.  He's also a groovy guy which is why I'm not uncomfortable telling him his joke is not funny and smells like the guy who rides his bike around town because of the DUI's and hangs around the Circle K trying to bum loose cigarettes.
    You're harping. 
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,719
    kce8 said:

Thanks
    kce, I'm pretty sure you don't mean all us men, so I'll respond here as one who hasn't disparaged the brave girl, Greta.

"Has anyone ever come up with the idea of ​​the unbelievable pressure on such a young person to constantly stand in public, always in the knowledge that most of people might think they are too young and inexperienced anyway and that they are not really taken seriously?"

Yeah, not only is she under pressure when choosing to get up in public like she has, but double so because she has Asperger's, which makes doing that kind of thing even more difficult.  I honestly don't know how she does it not not fall apart.  I thin she must have some kind of inner strength beyond the norm.

"Have you ever seen an interview with her in which she describes how and why she has gone all this way?"

Yeah, more than once.  So much so, it would be hard to miss.  She means what she says and plainly and forcefully says what she means.  No diluting, not bullshit.  I think the word is "forthright". 

"Did you ever try to empathize with her situation or even imagine how it would be if your daughter had to go through all this?"

I totally empathize every time she gets up to speak.  I find it very difficult to speak to groups but I've have done it.  If it's something that doesn't come naturally, it's a bit like taking your clothes off in front of a bunch of people on a day when you've broken out in hives and you have to pretend nothing is out of the ordinary.  Damn hard to do.  Kudos to Greta for doing it.

"Instead of supporting someone who really wants to make things positive, people are just hostile to each other and the really important questions are not asked."

No kidding.  This thread is rotten with bullshit arguments that have no bearing on a very important subject.   I'm saying this because I honestly believe we can all be better than this- we could be talking about the changes we're going to make for the better.    It's too goddamn important a subject not to do that. If we're just fucking around here we should go on AET or something.

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    rgambs said:
    mrussel1 said:
    lol
    I thought it was funny. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    mrussel1 said:
    rgambs said:
    mrussel1 said:
    lol
    You're harping. 
    I can live with it lol
    McGruff is a heckuva guy and has shown uncommon capacity to change his thoughts and opinions so I expect more from him than most.  Casual, faux-hypermasculinity has been cropping up everywhere in my life so I've been too cognizant of it. It's one of the least woke aspects of Midwestern men between 30 and 50 and I'm glad it's dieing out.

• Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    honestly, and I hope this doesn't come across as offensive, but I find the unemotional way she usually carries herself (save for the UN speech), to be quite beneficial to her cause. Whether that's her personality or her asperger's is irrelevant to me. she speaks almost in a very logical manner, kind of like Spock or Data (no, I don't watch Star Trek, but I know who they are). It really makes you think because you aren't drawn to criticize her "drama" because she is speaking from the mind, not from the heart. the interview I watched with Trevor Noah was incredibly logical and almost like listening to a scientist. 

"in america, climate change is a belief; where I am from, it is fact". 

"what did you notice about new york when you were approaching by boat?"
    "the smell"

you can't get any more blunt about it than that. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    honestly, and I hope this doesn't come across as offensive, but I find the unemotional way she usually carries herself (save for the UN speech), to be quite beneficial to her cause. Whether that's her personality or her asperger's is irrelevant to me. she speaks almost in a very logical manner, kind of like Spock or Data (no, I don't watch Star Trek, but I know who they are). It really makes you think because you aren't drawn to criticize her "drama" because she is speaking from the mind, not from the heart. the interview I watched with Trevor Noah was incredibly logical and almost like listening to a scientist. 

"in america, climate change is a belief; where I am from, it is fact". 

"what did you notice about new york when you were approaching by boat?"
    "the smell"

you can't get any more blunt about it than that. 
    That seems to be the case, at least with my somewhat limited exposure to people with Asperger's.  The few I've known seem to be a bit guarded with their emotions and tend to get right to the point and say it like it is.  I think Thunberg's tendency to do that is exactly what we need with this subject. No b.s., little or no emo (although that one nearly iconic speech in NY did reveal emotion), no pleading, just straight shooting and the facts.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,539
    edited October 2019
    Part of the issue with cost is actually in the financing. I can always get 0-1.9% financing from the car mfgrs I’ve bought. Tesla does not offer that. 

Nice cars and I would want one, but you make it all wheel drive, add in the color cost, add in the self-driving (and why would you buy a Tesla without it???)...it’s not cheap.
    But you would only spend maybe $20 - $40 a month on making it go. The savings on gas are truly massive, and literally pay for the car within 10 years. I have no idea why people think it's not affordable to buy an e-car (it doesn't have to be a Tesla) when you no longer have to buy gas when you get one.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    dignin said:
    If anything Greta showed amazing restraint and poise. The opposite of overreacting.

I would expect her and her generation to be way more upset.
    I agree with this. I am rather sickened by this whole "she is being overly dramatic" thing.... She isn't at all. She seems to be demonstrating a very appropriate yet controlled level of emotion given the topic and her mission. And she is clearly 100% sincere about it.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    Part of the issue with cost is actually in the financing. I can always get 0-1.9% financing from the car mfgrs I’ve bought. Tesla does not offer that. 

Nice cars and I would want one, but you make it all wheel drive, add in the color cost, add in the self-driving (and why would you buy a Tesla without it???)...it’s not cheap.
    But you would only spend maybe $20 - $40 a month on making it go. The savings on gas are truly massive, and literally pay for the care within 10 years. I have no idea why people think it's not affordable to buy an e-car (it doesn't have to be a Tesla) when you no longer have to buy gas when you get one.
    I found this to be true even with a hybrid.  That was a deciding factor in our getting a Prius in 2008.  I did the math and knowing the car would likely run for at least 300,000 miles with no major repairs other than replacing the big battery once, the savings on gas made the car more affordable than anything else out there at the time.  I wish that in 2008 Teslas were where they are at today! 

• Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    A Tesla Model 3 starts at 55 grand Canadian.  Still not affordable for most people.  It does not matter how much you save on gas if you cannot afford the payment...and finance companies also do not care how much you save on gas if you cannot afford to pay them back.  Personally, I think if there was an electric car revolution happening the big autos would be all over this.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    Like I said, you don't have to buy a Tesla.
    Also, the auto companies won't be the ones to really grow the market. The government will be. The only thing really restricting the market right now is the concern of potential buyers about access to charging stations. If the government pushes to have them all over the place, with room for everyone who wants to buy an e-car, so that people can go basically anywhere they want without worrying about finding an available charging station, e-cars would sell like hot cakes. The car manufacturers could of course contribute to such an initiative too. One thing that WON'T grow the market is just pushing the cars out on the market without an already established infrastructure to support them. The manufacturers know that.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    A Tesla Model 3 starts at 55 grand Canadian.  Still not affordable for most people.  It does not matter how much you save on gas if you cannot afford the payment...and finance companies also do not care how much you save on gas if you cannot afford to pay them back.  Personally, I think if there was an electric car revolution happening the big autos would be all over this.
    I wouldn't call it a revolution, more like a slow to moderate and consistently gradual change.  I see more electric cars and charging stations all the time.  Charging stations have been added to the waiting area at the Sacramento International Airport  (SFM), our local food co-op, one near town at Mosquito Road and one of our largest grocery stores- and those are just the ones I happened to notice.  It's happening.

And remember, hybrids were considered very expensive when they came out.   And then they came down to the point where we- used book dealers- were able to afford one.   Anybody with average wages and knows how to budget well can afford a hybrid and soon, electric cars as well.  Good budgeting is the key.  I hear people all the time say, I can't afford this, I can't afford that.  And these are people who make more money than we do. 
    Post edited by brianlux on

• Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    Tesla might adjust prices somewhat.  But they will never be affordable to the masses.  New internal combustion cars are becoming unaffordable.  But where the ICE is a winner is the used market.  Only a fool buys a new vehicle.  But used and let the fool who bought new take the depreciation hit.  The electric car industry relies on government subsidies far to much.  The product should sell itself...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    Only a fool takes pride in driving a car.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
     The electric car industry relies on government subsidies far to much.  The product should sell itself...
    If not, we would have even more fuckups around not caring at all about what they do do the planet and just keep buying the shittier option. And whatever else that is wrecking the planet.

By the way, how turned on do you get when you buy plastic bags or straws? STICKING IT TO THE MAN!
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"