Options

Swedish climate activist Greta Thunberg on cover of TIME

Comments

• Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    brianlux said:
    Why do some of you not leave i_lov_it alone?  This person owes none of you any explanation for why or how they feel about a certain topic.  Jeesh.  
    because if you come to a thread to drop an incendiary comment like that and refuse to explain it, that's what we call: TROLLING. 
    Being the curious person that I am, I wish i_lov_it would have explained why he is not a fan of Greta Thunberg but the reactions to his initial comment sent the whole thing whirling into the AMT abyss and we will likely never know.  So my thought is, let's move on and see what Greta is up to.

...hold on...

...OK, here's what new:

Apparently the Republican party has a teenage girl problem.  Here's what The Guardian has to say about that:

It up to that person to decide if they want to share their opinion with you.  But how could you blame someone with the opposite opinion of the masses on this message board for not sharing more with you?  People here like to pile on.  Example A...the post above yours.  Good 'ol Hugh has me on ignore but can still see my comment.  And that's what some were doing with i_lov_it.  

There is a thing called moving on.  Or as I say sometimes, "we will just have to agree to disagree" and this place needs more of that.

Why do some of you not leave i_lov_it alone?  This person owes none of you any explanation for why or how they feel about a certain topic.  Jeesh.  
    because if you come to a thread to drop an incendiary comment like that and refuse to explain it, that's what we call: TROLLING. 
    Get over yourself.  YOU ARE NOT that IMPORTANT...
    so we get "there is a thing called moving on, or as i say sometimes "we will just have to agree to disagree" and this place needs more of that, and seconds later, "get over yourself, YOU ARE NOT that IMPORTANT". 

HAHA. seriously, meltdown, you are a fucking loon. you are so incredibly inconsistent in your views and comments you aren't even worth engaging with either. which is why, yes, you are on ignore. if only the quote function actually functioned with the ignore feature on. 

i ignored you a long time ago. then you decided to demand that i ignore you, when i already had. lol. but you continue to try to engage with me. why is that? if i'm not that important, stop acting like i am. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Sooo...that Greta is some young lady, huh?
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,718
    Lovely Greta
    Meteorological Swede
    Nothing can stop this ruckus

Give us a wink
    And the boys a drink
    ... and  da da da da da daaa daaaaaaaaa.

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    what those climate protest/strike want is a long way from happening.  Technology is no there yet.  It will eventually catch up...they’ve have discussed electric cars for as long as i can remember...yet world wide electric vehicles make up 2% of the vehicles.   I just upgraded to a Jeep Cherokee...no electric vehicle can come close to my Cherokee in terms of price...and electric can not even come close to affordability.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    And I refuse to ride public transit...I like driving.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    what those climate protest/strike want is a long way from happening.  Technology is no there yet.  It will eventually catch up...they’ve have discussed electric cars for as long as i can remember...yet world wide electric vehicles make up 2% of the vehicles.   I just upgraded to a Jeep Cherokee...no electric vehicle can come close to my Cherokee in terms of price...and electric can not even come close to affordability.
    You have such a shitty attitude. zzz. *yawn*
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    Hi!Hi! Posts: 3,095
    Tesla model 3 Short Range is about the same price as a Jeep and probably cheaper considering savings from gas over the long run.

Detroit 2000, Detroit 2003 1-2, Grand Rapids VFC 2004, Philly 2005, Grand Rapids 2006, Detroit 2006, Cleveland 2006, Lollapalooza 2007, Detroit Eddie Solo 2011, Detroit 2014, Chicago 2016 1-2, Chicago 2018 1-2, Ohana Encore 2021 1-2, Chicago Eddie/Earthlings 2022 1-2, Nashville 2022, St. Louis 2022

• Options
    Hi!Hi! Posts: 3,095
    edited October 2019
    https://cars.usnews.com/cars-trucks/rankings/hybrid-suvs
    A few more examples of electric/hybrid vehicles in the same price range of a Jeep Cherokee.
    Post edited by Hi! on

Detroit 2000, Detroit 2003 1-2, Grand Rapids VFC 2004, Philly 2005, Grand Rapids 2006, Detroit 2006, Cleveland 2006, Lollapalooza 2007, Detroit Eddie Solo 2011, Detroit 2014, Chicago 2016 1-2, Chicago 2018 1-2, Ohana Encore 2021 1-2, Chicago Eddie/Earthlings 2022 1-2, Nashville 2022, St. Louis 2022

• Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,938
    edited October 2019
    I'm not sure what you're going on about here. First you say technology isn't there, then you say that nothing comes close to your Cherokee in terms of price - so is it price or technology?

You also say we've discussed electric cars for so long yet only 2% of road vehicles today are electric. Why did you think people are discussing electric cars - to say how exciting that everyone has converted? No. It's because the need to convert still exists and time is running out.

And I like driving too. And flying. Both of which happen (to the best of our current knowledge) exclusively on this planet which we are destroying by driving and flying. See the irony? Multiply your behaviour/attitude by just 10% of the globe's population, assume a random distribution of that population (meaning enough would be from high-pollutant cultures like North American), and consider that impact. On this point, your blatant selfishness did get me thinking (one silver lining) about how I'm going to mitigate my impact. If anyone knows about good carbon offsetting initiatives that have good efficiencies, I'm all ears!
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    Hi! said:
    Tesla model 3 Short Range is about the same price as a Jeep and probably cheaper considering savings from gas over the long run.
    BS.  I live in Canada.  Add the exchange then lets talk.  I never buy new and usually stay around 20 G's. you are not getting an electric car for 20 g's.  I sure as heck am not ever buying a used electric.  To my knowledge, Tesla is not manufacturing 4 wheel drive vehicles and that's all I drive.  The point being is that gas-powered vehicles are the best bang for your buck and it's still not even close.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    brianlux said:
    Being the curious person that I am, I wish i_lov_it would have explained why he is not a fan of Greta Thunberg but the reactions to his initial comment sent the whole thing whirling into the AMT abyss and we will likely never know.  So my thought is, let's move on and see what Greta is up to.

...hold on...

...OK, here's what new:

Apparently the Republican party has a teenage girl problem.  Here's what The Guardian has to say about that:

It up to that person to decide if they want to share their opinion with you.  But how could you blame someone with the opposite opinion of the masses on this message board for not sharing more with you?  People here like to pile on.  Example A...the post above yours.  Good 'ol Hugh has me on ignore but can still see my comment.  And that's what some were doing with i_lov_it.  

There is a thing called moving on.  Or as I say sometimes, "we will just have to agree to disagree" and this place needs more of that.

Get over yourself.  YOU ARE NOT that IMPORTANT...
    so we get "there is a thing called moving on, or as i say sometimes "we will just have to agree to disagree" and this place needs more of that, and seconds later, "get over yourself, YOU ARE NOT that IMPORTANT". 

HAHA. seriously, meltdown, you are a fucking loon. you are so incredibly inconsistent in your views and comments you aren't even worth engaging with either. which is why, yes, you are on ignore. if only the quote function actually functioned with the ignore feature on. 

i ignored you a long time ago. then you decided to demand that i ignore you, when i already had. lol. but you continue to try to engage with me. why is that? if i'm not that important, stop acting like i am. 

Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,108
    Hi! said:
    I’ve priced the Tesla’s. The gas savings isn’t anything close enough (you must factor in electricity costs) to make up for the price. You have to just want to use no gas, not for cost savings.

And until they go 500 miles they don’t work for me very well. But still thinking about it.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    brianlux said:
    Lovely Greta
    Meteorological Swede
    Nothing can stop this ruckus

Give us a wink
    And the boys a drink
    ... and  da da da da da daaa daaaaaaaaa.
    Yikes
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    Jeep Cherokee...
    Always get stressed when people I love and adore make bad purchases. 

Should have chosen the GOAT

• Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,728
    edited October 2019
    Well since that Lovely Rita parody is on the "I love her" side of the "yikes" spectrum, here's one from the "I hate her" side of the "yikes" spectrum. I don't get it. Why are some people up in arms about this girl to the point where they'd say crazy stuff about her? I watched her UN speech, agreed with most of her points, laughed and cringed at her overdramatic performance, and moved on. This guy should be more like that. Just watch it and move on....

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/greta-thunberg-post-soccer-coach-fired
    Post edited by Ledbetterman10 on
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,883
    edited October 2019
    Jeep Cherokee...

My wife and I just bought a 2020 kia telluride over the weekend;  definitely the nicest suv I have ever driven.  
    That volvo is sweet, what model is it?
    Post edited by mcgruff10 on
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,826
    “I’m not going to do anything that causes me inconvenience” and “I’m not going to give up driving because I enjoy it” are two of the main attitudes that are destroying the planet. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    Jeep Cherokee...

My wife and I just bought a 2020 kia telluride over the weekend, the truck is nice!!!!!
    All cool teachers drive SAAB. 
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,006
    edited October 2019
    “I’m not going to do anything that causes me inconvenience” and “I’m not going to give up driving because I enjoy it” are two of the main attitudes that are destroying the planet. 
    Yep. Despicable.
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    Well since that Lovely Rita parody is on the "I love her" side of the "yikes" spectrum, here's one from the "I hate her" side of the "yikes" spectrum. I don't get it. Why are some people up in arms about this girl to the point where they'd say crazy stuff about her? I watched her UN speech, agreed with most of her points, laughed and cringed at her overdramatic performance, and moved on. This guy should be more like that. Just watch it and move on....

I liked her message a lot but I do agree with you that she was overdramatic at some points.  (Maybe that was her disability coming out a little?)
    However I don't get the hate, to me it's great that she is rallying people to make some positive change.  
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:

I liked her message a lot but I do agree with you that she was overdramatic at some points.  (Maybe that was her disability coming out a little?)
    However I don't get the hate, to me it's great that she is rallying people to make some positive change.  
    It's all political. Climate-change advocacy is looked at as a "left" cause, so the right is going to fight it. No need to be mean about it though. She's a kid with Asperger's. People need to lighten up.

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,006
    edited October 2019
    mcgruff10 said:

It's all political. Climate-change advocacy is looked at as a "left" cause, so the right is going to fight it. No need to be mean about it though. She's a kid with Asperger's. People need to lighten up.
    Why are people focusing so much on her having Asberger?

...it's not uncommon... and it's not like she's an alien from another planet.

This constant focus on that.... like what has her having Asbeger to do with people having to lighten up or not?

From your post it sure sounds just like a way to disregard her or wave her away.

And Sally Field was "overdramatic" (disgusting word to use in the context of Gretas speech) when she won an Oscar - she must have Asbergers?
  • Options
    Sounds like how men would disregard women in like the 40s... 

"People need to lighten up. She's just a woman.. .driving a car"

icky as hell.
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:

This constant focus on that.... like what has her having Asbeger to do with people having to lighten up or not?

From your post it sure sounds just like a way to disregard her or wave her away.

And Sally Field was "overdramatic" (disgusting word to use in the context of Gretas speech) when she won an Oscar - she must have Asbergers?
    Well you're obviously very passionate about her so anything that isn't full-on praise of her might come off as "disregarding" her to you. And speaking of "overdramatic," spare me the rhetoric about "disgusting use of the word in context of Greta's speech." Disgusting? Oh come on. But good point on Sally Field. She's a performer, who was performing on that Oscar stage. Like Greta was a performer on the UN stage.

"I shouldn't even be here! I should be across the ocean at school! HOW DARE YOU!!!!" 

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,728
    edited October 2019

icky as hell.
    Oh god what are you one of these male feminists or something? I said that she's a teenager with a mental health diagnosis so people should lighten up and you take offense to THAT? And I never mentioned her being a female...at all. 
    Post edited by Ledbetterman10 on

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,108

icky as hell.
    Oh god what are you one of these male feminists or something? I said that she's a teenager with a mental health diagnosis so people should lighten up and you take offense to THAT? And I never mentioned her being a female...at all. 
    Memes and labels.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    mcgruff10 said:

Well you're obviously very passionate about her so anything that isn't full-on praise of her might come off as "disregarding" her to you. And speaking of "overdramatic," spare me the rhetoric about "disgusting use of the word in context of Greta's speech." Disgusting? Oh come on. But good point on Sally Field. She's a performer, who was performing on that Oscar stage. Like Greta was a performer on the UN stage.

"I shouldn't even be here! I should be across the ocean at school! HOW DARE YOU!!!!" 
    Just because you don't get passionate doesn't mean others don't.  
    If you can't see the sincerity she's brought to the table since she started this all alone, that's a failing on your part.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    mcgruff10 said:

Yes the lines you quoted from her speech were definitely overdramatic but like I said before it could be because of her disability (communication).

• Options
    Ledbetterman10 said:
     And I never mentioned her being a female...at all. 
    I've never mentioned you never mentioning her being female... at all