Options

Swedish climate activist Greta Thunberg on cover of TIME

Comments

• Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,070
    edited September 2019
    mcgruff10 said:
    And its the classic SC diversion. He is just a meme dropper and name caller but gets away with it cause he pretends to be stupid when called out 
    This would be true.  However man up and don't reference a cat.  We all know what you meant and that word is fine to use.  People offended by that use of word need to grow thicker skin.  It is 2019 but come on.  
    Tell me more about how men and women can't be friends, if they are married to other people? With it being 2019 and all.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    Since the quote feature suck, I’ll just write it without quoting.

pussy cat - scaredy cat.... it’s an animal. Not sure why you took it all sexist, must be feeling kinda guilty.
    Nope. That's not it. Dance around it instead of owning up to the sexism, changing and learning from your mistakes, if you wish. But if that is the case, why even engage in dialogue with you?

Hope this ignorance doesn't affect the women surrounding you in your real life. And that it's just your attitude on here when not being able to take being confronted. 
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,555
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,903
    edited September 2019
    mcgruff10 said:
    And its the classic SC diversion. He is just a meme dropper and name caller but gets away with it cause he pretends to be stupid when called out 
    This would be true.  However man up and don't reference a cat.  We all know what you meant and that word is fine to use.  People offended by that use of word need to grow thicker skin.  It is 2019 but come on.  
    Tell me more about how men and women can't be friends, if they are married to other people? With it being 2019 and all.
    Awwww this adorable.   Maybe one day when you get married or have a long term relationship you might feel different.  
    Post edited by mcgruff10 on
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,757
    :plus_one:

Always good to see a post here that is actually related to climate issues!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    brianlux said:

https://youtu.be/1kD1zubg3cA
  • Options
    brianlux said:

https://youtu.be/1kD1zubg3cA
    Whoa!  Heavy duty!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options

• Options
    Since the quote feature suck, I’ll just write it without quoting.

pussy cat - scaredy cat.... it’s an animal. Not sure why you took it all sexist, must be feeling kinda guilty.
    Nope. That's not it. Dance around it instead of owning up to the sexism, changing and learning from your mistakes, if you wish. But if that is the case, why even engage in dialogue with you?

Hope this ignorance doesn't affect the women surrounding you in your real life. And that it's just your attitude on here when not being able to take being confronted. 
    The women in my life are doing just fine thanks. Don’t be like that. Bringing up my wife, daughter, mother, etc is low class and you are about to get me banned if you do it again.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    Man up? Sexist much?

Dude I’m just messing with that jerk.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,940
    Just a thought - my friends and I call each other dicks pretty regularly. I find it interesting that the connotation with ‘pussy’ is someone whose tendency is to be afraid, and with ‘dick’ is someone whose tendency is to be rude and selfish. I’m making up an origin story right here - with so many dicks around, what other choice did a gender have to describe their sentiments when power dynamics were so unfairly skewed than to be labelled as afraid (and really do remain so today)?
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options

hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    edited September 2019

Spiritual_Chaos said:

Dance around it instead of owning up to the sexism, changing and learning from your mistakes, if you wish. But if that is the case, why even engage in dialogue with you?

• Options
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    Man up? Sexist much?

Me?  Hell no.  But my friends and I absolutely use Benjs and your words without hesitation and no one is insulted.  
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Man up? Sexist much?

Me?  Hell no.  But my friends and I absolutely use Benjs and your words without hesitation and no one is insulted.  
    jk, I know you aren’t. 
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Man up? Sexist much?

jk, I know you aren’t. 
    I got you. All good my friend.  
  • Options
    i_lov_iti_lov_it Perth, Western Australia Posts: 4,007
    edited September 2019
    i_lov_it said:
    dignin said:
    i_lov_it said:
    i_lov_it said:
    i_lov_it said:
    wtf is this shit?...Political puppet...Comedy Gold 😂
    I'll ask this like I ask every climate change denier: what is the political or economic upside to peddling a climate change hoax?
    Ok *** First*** of all I'm not a climate change denier...so a great way to --->JUDGE<--- but whatever!..........................maybe you should ask that question yourself...
    not judging, just making an observation based on comments. fine, then why do you call her a political puppet?
    You make a --->JUDGEMENT<--- then deny it but whatever!...observation?...are you serious?...anyway I asked you a question
    Why bother coming here and commenting if you don't want to have a conversation.
    So why are you here then?
    Fair question there ;)
     Thank you  ;)
    Post edited by i_lov_it on
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    dignin said:
    i_lov_it said:
    i_lov_it said:
    i_lov_it said:
    I'll ask this like I ask every climate change denier: what is the political or economic upside to peddling a climate change hoax?
    Ok *** First*** of all I'm not a climate change denier...so a great way to --->JUDGE<--- but whatever!..........................maybe you should ask that question yourself...
    not judging, just making an observation based on comments. fine, then why do you call her a political puppet?
    You make a --->JUDGEMENT<--- then deny it but whatever!...observation?...are you serious?...anyway I asked you a question
    I fucking love that video that SC posted. 
    Well to be fair, people can be pissed at adults holding a child up as some hero. So really some may be in that boat, but not necessarily everyone.
    Well to be fair, it's pretty transparent that posters feel the need to actively come in here and attack (a 16 year old girl). And, with that - trying to dance around it with other reasons for the behaviour is easily seen through also. 
    Huh? Don’t be a pussy. Name names of you feel the need to attack someone. 

You need to watch this on repeat and rid yourself of this sexism of yours. It's just icky. (It's 2019 after all):

https://youtu.be/XjJQBjWYDTs

I feel sad that some men have to use these terms in order to feel strong and manly, and equally so when some women have to diminish their own gender in order to feel cool and “part of the gang” and use those words too. We don’t need more oppression in this world; rather, we need to start making people feel valued and appreciated. Again, it starts with something as easy as thinking twice about what we say.

http://www.eskapee.com/shorts/voices-stop-using-pussy/

Divert the question and change topics...
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    i_lov_it said:
    dignin said:
    i_lov_it said:
    i_lov_it said:
    i_lov_it said:
    Well to be fair, people can be pissed at adults holding a child up as some hero. So really some may be in that boat, but not necessarily everyone.
    Well to be fair, it's pretty transparent that posters feel the need to actively come in here and attack (a 16 year old girl). And, with that - trying to dance around it with other reasons for the behaviour is easily seen through also. 

You need to watch this on repeat and rid yourself of this sexism of yours. It's just icky. (It's 2019 after all):

I feel sad that some men have to use these terms in order to feel strong and manly, and equally so when some women have to diminish their own gender in order to feel cool and “part of the gang” and use those words too. We don’t need more oppression in this world; rather, we need to start making people feel valued and appreciated. Again, it starts with something as easy as thinking twice about what we say.

I'll leave you and the others to duke it out, but I'm open to hearing what issues you have with Greta Thunberg if you don't mind my asking?

• Options
    brianlux said:
    i_lov_it said:
    dignin said:
    i_lov_it said:
    i_lov_it said:
    i_lov_it said:

I'll leave you and the others to duke it out, but I'm open to hearing what issues you have with Greta Thunberg if you don't mind my asking?

• Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    Just curious. Honest question.

Would your response differ in any way if this was about the word "faggot" in the 90s?

Or the n-word in the 60s?

Or about owning slaves or not in the 1800s?

Maybe it's a good thing people point things out? Evidently it's needed when there are people who choose to fall back on the ignorance of "well me and my friends all use it and no one is insulted" instead of embracing and being open to progress.
  • Options
    brianlux said:
    i_lov_it said:
    dignin said:
    i_lov_it said:
    i_lov_it said:
    i_lov_it said:

Rather than provoke, let's give i_love_it a chance to explain why he has issues with this.  Obviously, I think Greta is great, but I want to be open minded enough to hear what others have to say.

• Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    i_lov_it said:
    dignin said:
    i_lov_it said:
    i_lov_it said:
    i_lov_it said:

Rather than provoke, let's give i_love_it a chance to explain why he has issues with this.  Obviously, I think Greta is great, but I want to be open minded enough to hear what others have to say.
    They were free to explain their position but chose to insult everyone instead.

Not worth anyone's time, except maybe for a laugh.
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    dignin said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    i_lov_it said:
    dignin said:
    i_lov_it said:
    i_lov_it said:
    i_lov_it said:

Ok but anyway you still haven't answered my question so move along...
  • Options
    dignin said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    i_lov_it said:
    dignin said:
    i_lov_it said:
    i_lov_it said:
    i_lov_it said:

I have not personally been insulted by i_love_it.    I'm willing to listen to what i_love_it has to say on the subject, so I asked.  Anyone not interested hearing what he has to say can always opt to not respond here. 

I really don't understand the point of keeping the spin cycle going.  I'm not here to get tangled up in these ridiculous  back-and-forth arguments that go nowhere. That kind of bullshit is why a lot of people avoid this place.  If I ask a question and get no answer or the response is off topic or aggressive, I just move on.  Who the hell has time for these quarrelsome little spats anyway? 

• Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,835
    brianlux said:
    dignin said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    i_lov_it said:
    dignin said:
    i_lov_it said:
    i_lov_it said:
    i_lov_it said:

I have not personally been insulted by i_love_it.    I'm willing to listen to what i_love_it has to say on the subject, so I asked.  Anyone not interested hearing what he has to say can always opt to not respond here. 

I really don't understand the point of keeping the spin cycle going.  I'm not here to get tangled up in these ridiculous  back-and-forth arguments that go nowhere. That kind of bullshit is why a lot of people avoid this place.  If I ask a question and get no answer or the response is off topic or aggressive, I just move on.  Who the hell has time for these quarrelsome little spats anyway? 
    look back at the thread, brian. we legitimately tried to find out the issues this person has with greta. all we got back was insults. this person even trolled me for it in another separate thread. So yes, I moved on. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    brianlux said:
    dignin said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    i_lov_it said:
    dignin said:
    i_lov_it said:
    i_lov_it said:
    i_lov_it said:

look back at the thread, brian. we legitimately tried to find out the issues this person has with greta. all we got back was insults. this person even trolled me for it in another separate thread. So yes, I moved on. 
    To me, some of those attempts seemed like attacks.  I simply asked and I think that is more likely to get a response.

But yeah, I'm moving as well.  I'm getting close to throwing in the towel on this place anyway. 

• Options
    brianlux said:
    dignin said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    i_lov_it said:
    dignin said:
    i_lov_it said:
    i_lov_it said:
    i_lov_it said:

Classic projection...