Options

PJ to Headline Woodstock 50th Anniversary??

Comments

• Options
    bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,930
    Most recent festival for me was Pilgrimage in 2017. Not sure of attendance numbers but it was enjoyable. The downside was I stood in one spot all day to be close for EV, but that was my choice. I won’t travel for any upcoming festivals, or stadium shows for that matter. If arenas are on the horizon, that’s another story. 
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,515
    edited January 2019
    on2legs said:
    I’m about the experience and novelty of some of these shows.  I’ve seen them at Wrigley and Fenway and in Central Park.  If Pearl Jam was playing Woodstock I would want to see them there.  It’s a unique venue and even better it’s in driving distance.   
    The trick would be actually seeing them there while you're there. Don't forget the binoculars and a pair of stilts! ;)
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    jacquelyncajacquelynca Yay Area CA Posts: 372
    I could see them doing this but unfortunately i wouldn’t be able to go :-/. Come on bottlerock 2019!!!  Lineup announcement Monday January 7!
    IG and twitter - @jacquelynincali

1994 - Bridge School Benefit, Shoreline Mountain View CA
    *** 1995 - 2015 High School, College, Broke, Having Kids***
    2016 - Temple of the Dog, Bill Graham Civic Center Auditorium, San Francisco CA
    2017 - Eddie Vedder, Bourbon and Beyond, Louisville KY
    2018 - The Home Shows, Show 2, Seattle WA
    2019 - Eddie Vedder, Ohana Fest, Dana Point CA
    2020- Oakland Nights 1 and 2
    2020 - Ohana Fest
    2021 - Ohana Fest
    2022 - Oakland 1 and 2

"Watch out for music. It should come with a health warning. It can be dangerous. It can make you feel so alive, so connected to the people around you, and connected to what you really are inside. And it can make you think that the world should, and could, be a much better place. And just occasionally, it can make you very, very happy." -Peter Gabriel
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    I could see them doing Bethel Woods.  It will be held in the same location as the original Woodstock. But since Bethel Woods is owned by a charitable organization (at least I think so), I don't see them shelling out the $$$$ for Pearl Jam. How cool would it be to hear Mike play the star spangled banner at the same location as Jimi Hendrix. 
  • Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,419
    PJ_Soul said:
    on2legs said:
    I’m about the experience and novelty of some of these shows.  I’ve seen them at Wrigley and Fenway and in Central Park.  If Pearl Jam was playing Woodstock I would want to see them there.  It’s a unique venue and even better it’s in driving distance.   
    The trick would be actually seeing them there while you're there. Don't forget the binoculars and a pair of stilts! ;)
    I’m cool with that though.  My expectations for a festival show are way different from an arena show where my seats are close.  
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    on2legs said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    on2legs said:
    I’m cool with that though.  My expectations for a festival show are way different from an arena show where my seats are close.  
    Of course, as they should be. My point is that in the context of a festival it will probably be pretty bad for that. The sheer size of a Woodstock event seems pretty overwhelming to me, as festivals go.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    Jerome230Jerome230 Posts: 903
    Apologies if this was already mentioned, but it was also rumored that The Who (or what’s left of ‘em) were going to be there as well. That would be epic to see them again together, like in 1999 at the Bridge School Benefit. 
    Ed...buddy...pal...stay true to your word and play Boise again.

Seattle, 12.7.93
    Salt Lake, 6.21.98
    Mountain View, 10.30.99
    Mountain View, 10.31.99
    Boise, 11.3.00
    Portland, 9.26.09
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,840
    PJ_Soul said:
    on2legs said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    on2legs said:
    Of course, as they should be. My point is that in the context of a festival it will probably be pretty bad for that. The sheer size of a Woodstock event seems pretty overwhelming to me, as festivals go.
    Yeah to pay all that money/hotel/babysitters  just to watch pj on a screen is not worth it to me. 
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    on2legs said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    on2legs said:
    I’m cool with it.  Pearl Jam playing Woodstock is not something I would skip.   
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    on2legs said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    on2legs said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    on2legs said:
    Fair enough!
  • Options
    darwinstheorydarwinstheory LaPorte, IN Posts: 5,748
    PJ_Soul said:
    on2legs said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    on2legs said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    on2legs said:
    Fair enough!
    Wait a second! Are PJ Soul and McGruff in agreement here? I don't even know who they are anymore. Agnes's thread would be disappointed. 
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,840
    PJ_Soul said:
    on2legs said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    on2legs said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    on2legs said:
    Fair enough!
    Wait a second! Are PJ Soul and McGruff in agreement here? I don't even know who they are anymore. Agnes's thread would be disappointed. 
    That s how we are rolling in 2019. 
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    on2legs said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    on2legs said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    on2legs said:
    Fair enough!
    That s how we are rolling in 2019. 

But not crazy :lol:

• Options
    bbiggs said:
    Most recent festival for me was Pilgrimage in 2017. Not sure of attendance numbers but it was enjoyable. The downside was I stood in one spot all day to be close for EV, but that was my choice. I won’t travel for any upcoming festivals, or stadium shows for that matter. If arenas are on the horizon, that’s another story. 
    I was at Pilgrimage as well.  It was a thousand degrees that day so instead of doing what bbiggs did I got there about two hours before EV's set, watched football in the shaded beer tent for an hour or so, and then headed over to the stage for a somewhat back yet still very decent viewing location.  It was an excellent night.  However that was EV solo.  PJ itself would be more difficult to do the same.  I'd see them at a festival if it was the only option but would strongly prefer another format.
    PJ: 2013: London (ON); Buffalo; 2014: Cincinnati; 2016: Sunrise, Miami, Toronto 1-2, Wrigley 2; 2018: London (UK) 1, Milan, Padova, Sea 2, Wrigley 1-2, Fenway 1-2; 2021: SHN, Ohana, Ohana Encore 1-2; 2022: LA 1-2, Phx, Oak 1-2, Fresno, Copenhagen, Hyde Park 1-2; Quebec, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto; MSG, Camden, Nashville, Louisville, St. Louis, OKC; 2023: St. Paul 1-2, Chicago 1-2; Fort Worth 2; Austin 1-2

EV Solo: 2017 Louisville and Franklin, 2018 Ohana, 2019 Innings Fest, Berlin, Düsseldorf, Dublin and Ohana; 2021 Ohana Friday (from beach) and Saturday; 2022 Earthlings Newark; 2023 Innings Fest and Benoraya 1-2.

Gutted:  London 2 2018, Sacramento 2022, Noblesville 2023
  • Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,740
    I do not mind festivals. I am not a fan of traveling 1200 km's for a set of Pearl Jams greatest hits though. 
  • Options
    PJNB said:
    I do not mind festivals. I am not a fan of traveling 1200 km's for a set of Pearl Jams greatest hits though. 
     I couldn’t see driving that far for a festival set.  If it wasn’t a 2.5 hour drive for me I wouldn’t be as enthusiastic.  I also embrace the whole camping vibe / festival vibe.  We take the kids camping often and it helps that my wife really likes to do it.  She went to Woodstock in 94 so she’s actually more excited by this than I am.  

• Options
    mrk2mrk2 Finland Posts: 2,023
    Michael Lang and co have tried to put together Woodstock related concerts several times over the past 20 years and failed every time. All talk. Not gonna happen
    225xxx - 6/28/00, 10/20/01, 10/22/01, 9/11/06, 9/22/06, 9/23/06, 6/18/07, 6/26/07, 8/15/09, 6/25/10, 6/30/10, 7/4/12, 7/5/12, 7/7/12, 7/10/12, 6/26/14, 6/28/14, 7/3/18, 7/5/18
  • Options
    mrk2mrk2 Finland Posts: 2,023
    edited January 2019
    225xxx - 6/28/00, 10/20/01, 10/22/01, 9/11/06, 9/22/06, 9/23/06, 6/18/07, 6/26/07, 8/15/09, 6/25/10, 6/30/10, 7/4/12, 7/5/12, 7/7/12, 7/10/12, 6/26/14, 6/28/14, 7/3/18, 7/5/18
  • Options
    mookeywrenchmookeywrench Posts: 5,749
    How to recreate Woodstock:
    Headliners need to be the biggest names across all genres.
    Tickets should be $160 for reserve seating/pit access.
    Lawn seating/tailgate parking should be free.
    No other festivals allowed in that region of the US for the season.
    No live streams available.

Anything else will be just another festival.
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,640
    And id leave it two stages and not 7 like everything else
  • Options
    Are we sure this is a thing?  Could be hype coming from the massive Train/Goo Goo Dolls show coming to that venue in July.  That lineup already rivals Woodstock 69.  
  • Options
    Are we sure this is a thing?  Could be hype coming from the massive Train/Goo Goo Dolls show coming to that venue in July.  That lineup already rivals Woodstock 69.  
    Totally speculative. 

• Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,283
    nah no interest in these events at all ..
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    vedpunkvedpunk Posts: 821
    “...massive Train/Goo Goo Dolls show”. Hahaha lol I hope this is a joke.
  • Options
    BF89905BF89905 Posts: 1,339
    'Hope not
  • Options
    ChadplamChadplam Alberta Posts: 186
    edited January 2019
    So as a younger Canadian fan, who hasn't been to many big festivals I thought I'd share my two cents on KAABOO this year. 

For me it was the biggest festival I've gone too, as we don't get much around us and I'd rather just fly to see the bigger bands I love than to a festival. Anyways, I was expecting it to be as people are saying here, crammed, porta potties, long lines, poor sight lines. I was blown away though they had trailers with "real' bathrooms, lines weren't that long, and it was easy to get fairly close to big acts. If you were there for the last song of the band prior to who you wanted to see you got close. There was a lot of walking from one side of the grounds to the other because they had it set up where it would be rock then pop act or a couple rock then a couple pop acts on stage one and then stage two would be vice versa, therefore making most of everyone there leave to the other stage and getting close. (see some pics here of Foo Fighters, Robert Plant and more, let's note that AAR, AiC and Billy Idol I wasn't trying to be overly close so I wasn't super close. https://www.instagram.com/p/Bn0J4Lrh29j/). This festival had a super eclectic lineup too, much like I expect Woodstock 50 would be. The only time it was uncomfortable was leaving, there was a lot of people all trying to exit one way. I don't know if this festival just had a good location/organization and more or if that how things are these days? I've heard such good things about Pemberton and still sad I never made it after having tickets, Ride too was apparently more like what I've described. Is it maybe a west coast thing? Would love to hear some comments about their recent major fest experiences and how it compared to mine.
    Post edited by Chadplam on
    2016- TOTD Seattle Night 1+2
    2018- Home Shows Night 1+2, Missoula 
  • Options
    This^^^

I see a lot of people saying "festivals suck" then following that up with "My experience at Lollapalooza 2007 was HORRID"

that was 12 years ago!!!!!!!
  • Options
    JadlerJadler Posts: 705
    Just posted on IG recapping the Alpine Festival from 2011. One of the last comments in the vid from a fan is “This is my Woodstock”  :|
  • Options
    Festivals are run tighter than ever.  The difference is they cater to a different generation now (as they should).  

My favorite festivals were when alt-rock dominated the lineup.  It’s obviously changed.  
  • Options
    kaw753kaw753 Posts: 751
    Festivals are run tighter than ever.  The difference is they cater to a different generation now (as they should).  

My favorite festivals were when alt-rock dominated the lineup.  It’s obviously changed.  
    NOS Alive in Portugal... best line-up I have ever seen in my life, but the kids really, really wanted to hear Alive and Evenflow. I was awkward old guy getting excited for Do The Evolution.