PJ to Headline Woodstock 50th Anniversary??

Comments

• jjflashjjflash Posts: 4,815
    My last big outdoor festivals were for 
    Tom Petty 
    Soundgarden 
    Foo Fighters

thats it for me, I will not put myself through that stress anymore . Lines for Merch, lines for beer, lines to pee
    never ending lines 
    Line, line, everywhere a line
    Blockin' out the scenery, breakin' my mind
    Do this, don't do that, can you get in line?

...oops, wrong song :lol:
  • trees said:
    chiefnjk said:
    Waiting for Dimi to weigh in on this one...
    Who is dimi? And why do we this persons lead alot?
    People tend to leak info to the most recognizable PJ fan out there.
  • willbarclaywillbarclay Ottawa, Canada Posts: 3,298
    trees said:
    chiefnjk said:

Sorry, I never heard of her.
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    trees said:
    chiefnjk said:
    He is boom’s nephew. 
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,632
    I knew our festival days were numbered at ACL 2014 after years and years of going.  That was the first time i really felt the shift towards what they’ve become now which is not really for my age group. Lol

Woodstock 94 was great.  The Tibetan Freedom Concerts from 96-99 were great.  Those bands are almost all gone now.  

It really might be a thing where the festival doesnt change but you leave the target age range.  They’re going to aim for whatever brings in teens and 20s.  Ten years ago Rage Against the Machine and Bjork were bringing in thousands to Coachella.  Now only pop and hip hop will do that.  They might stay to do a selfie with U2 as the backdrop and then they leave for the EDM tent.  Times change.  I wouldnt be surprised if Woodstock 19 is mostly pop and hip hop as headliners. 
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,604
    edited January 2019
    Festivals and Stadium/ballpark shows are too much of a hassle, too much time and money commitment for me to attend, for a diminished experience.  

5-10+ years ago?  I would have been all over something like this.  
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,440
    I was at ACL this year and loved every minute of it. Line up wasn't great but McCartney played and we had a great time hanging out with my friends.  Saw and heard a lot of good live music. Even the food was good. Oh yeah McCready showed twice!  I don't get why people dislike festivals so much. The glass is half full. :)
    Get_Right said:
    I was at ACL this year and loved every minute of it. Line up wasn't great but McCartney played and we had a great time hanging out with my friends.  Saw and heard a lot of good live music. Even the food was good. Oh yeah McCready showed twice!  I don't get why people dislike festivals so much. The glass is half full. :)

I think the main reason people don't like them is anxiety levels.

I don't like the feeling of being crammed into a tiny jar, and that's what I feel at most of these festivals.

I don't like the waiting in lines either.

and if its extremely hot out, that's another X

• ZodZod Posts: 9,941
    edited January 2019
    Funny, the last festival I went too (Pemberton Festival in '16) was kind of the opposite.  We showed up around 4 as the first band we wanted to see was at 5pm.  There was no real lineup to get in.  There's were loads of people there but split over 3 stages.   No lines for merch.  Even the food and beer lineups seemed reasonable.

Definitely started with more young people there but was we got closer to PJ, I saw more people our age.   It made for an interesting mix.  The venue was beautiful.    The set was amazing.    I think it might be a top 5 for me.  I loved the Wrigley shows later in the year, but there was something special about that festival.  It was seeing PJ in a beautiful place without all the hassle.
    Zod said:
    Funny, the last festival I went too (Pemberton Festival in '16) was kind of the opposite.  We showed up around 4 as the first band we wanted to see was at 5pm.  There was no real lineup to get in.  There's were loads of people there but split over 3 stages.   No lines for merch.  Even the food and beer lineups seemed reasonable.

Definitely started with more young people there but was we got closer to PJ, I saw more people our age.   It made for an interesting mix.  The venue was beautiful.    The set was amazing.    I think it might be a top 5 for me.  I loved the Wrigley shows later in the year, but there was something special about that festival.  It was seeing PJ in a beautiful place without all the hassle.
    This. Take it all in, and just enjoy yourself.  Too crowded, step back.  Too hot, find shade. If it rains, put on a poncho. 
  • Red Sox are out of town from August 22 through September 2.  just saying...
  • RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,136
    It is what you make it.  If you have anxiety, festivals prob aren’t your thing.  If you’re from Canada, it sounds like being in the sun may not be your thing.  For me I enjoy hanging out with my friends without the constraints of an individual seat, I like wandering around and checking out bands I wouldn’t have otherwise seen.  I also like people watching, so sitting in the grass chilling and talking to my friends while high as balls and staring at people is a blast.  I won’t be at Woodstock regardless because I think I may be done with trips to the middle of nowhere for PJ, but I think it’s right up their alley these days and won’t be surprised at all if they announce they’re doing it.  I do hope that if they are doing it, that they come down to ACL again too.  Short set or not, I’ll be happy.
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • ITT: Old people are acting old about festivals
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,378
    Red Sox are out of town from August 22 through September 2.  just saying...
    Oh please not again.
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Daron OshayDaron Oshay Middletown, NJ Posts: 2,488
    edited January 2019
    So it would actually be at this place?

https://www.bethelwoodscenter.org/about-us/pressphotos

That would be more like PJ20 was then no?
    Post edited by Daron Oshay on
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,489
    Get_Right said:

I don't like the feeling of being crammed into a tiny jar, and that's what I feel at most of these festivals.

Don’t worry about being close to stage.  Just enjoy the show from the back and have more room to chill.  Like being on the lawn at an amphitheater.
  • Mikemzl91Mikemzl91 Posts: 484
    ITT: Old people are acting old about festivals
    Yup
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,624
    It is what you make it.  If you have anxiety, festivals prob aren’t your thing.  If you’re from Canada, it sounds like being in the sun may not be your thing.  For me I enjoy hanging out with my friends without the constraints of an individual seat, I like wandering around and checking out bands I wouldn’t have otherwise seen.  I also like people watching, so sitting in the grass chilling and talking to my friends while high as balls and staring at people is a blast.  I won’t be at Woodstock regardless because I think I may be done with trips to the middle of nowhere for PJ, but I think it’s right up their alley these days and won’t be surprised at all if they announce they’re doing it.  I do hope that if they are doing it, that they come down to ACL again too.  Short set or not, I’ll be happy.
    I am with you except for that Canadian part. We love the sun! 
    Get_Right said:

Don’t worry about being close to stage.  Just enjoy the show from the back and have more room to chill.  Like being on the lawn at an amphitheater.

Im all for that.

But 30,000 people for Foo Fighters/Greta Van Fleet at bluesfest this past summer was nuts. We were about 15-20 rows back from the stage and half way through the foos we decided to get the heck back and it was a major struggle to find our way through the crowd. We finally found a small open space to just hang, listen to the music and grab another beer.

For me, ill stick with the theater style shows. Much more fun and enjoyable.

If Paul McCartney comes to Bluefest Ill go. other than that, I think my festival days are behind me.

• So it would actually be at this place?

No. 

It would seem this is starting to get confusing to some people. 

What you have a link to here is not considered the OFFICIAL Woodstock 50th anniversary celebration, it just happens to be a 50th celebration at the original Woodstock site. 

When this was announced, many news sites took this new information, and put it with what Micheal Lang had said about him wanting to do a 50th anniversary show and formulated a headline with Bethel Woods as the Venue and those dates as the OFFICIAL dates, when they are in fact not.

Since then, Micheal Lang has come out and said that his celebration will have nothing to do with Bethel Woods and will be bigger. 
  • Daron OshayDaron Oshay Middletown, NJ Posts: 2,488

No. 

What you have a link to here is not considered the OFFICIAL Woodstock 50th anniversary celebration, it just happens to be a 50th celebration at the original Woodstock site. 

When this was announced, many news sites took this new information, and put it with what Micheal Lang had said about him wanting to do a 50th anniversary show and formulated a headline with Bethel Woods as the Venue and those dates as the OFFICIAL dates, when they are in fact not.

Since then, Micheal Lang has come out and said that his celebration will have nothing to do with Bethel Woods and will be bigger. 
    Thanks and F that 
  • mcgruff10 said:
    trees said:
    chiefnjk said:
    He is boom’s nephew. 
    :lol:

26/ 05/ 00 -Velodomo Anoeta -San Sebastián.
    02/ 09/ 06 -Azkena Rock Festival- Vitoria -Gasteiz.
    09/ 07/ 10 - BBK live -Bilbao.
    10/ 07/ 18 -Palau Sant jordi -Barcelona.

Get off my lawn and turn that music down!
  • Get_Right said:
    Get off my lawn and turn that music down!
    No it's "I don't want to listen to loud music on a lawn!"
  • JM144705JM144705 Philadelphia Posts: 429

No. 

Thank you for clarifying this as I was a little confused too. I think that these were two different shows but people were talking like they were the same. 
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    PJ_Soul said:
    My last big outdoor festivals were for 
    Tom Petty 
    Soundgarden 
    Foo Fighters

thats it for me, I will not put myself through that stress anymore . Lines for Merch, lines for beer, lines to pee
    never ending lines 
    Totally. Not to mention the heat and the dirt, and having to sit on the ground, if you can sit at all. I hate festivals so much. Even when I was young I didn't enjoy them. Especially with the porta-potties. Too gross.
    yeah i think my festival days are over. My last one was made in america 2013 which wasn't too bad actually and it was close to me. This one would be somewhere in NY. Not sure exactly where in NY woodstock is though.  My sister lives in upstate NY near Rochester.
    My last festival was in 2007 I think, and I almost got arrested. :lol:
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    My last festival was the year that
    pj played global citizens festival; I have no desire to attend another.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • RS65573RS65573 Posts: 2,359
    mcgruff10 said:
    My last festival was the year that
    pj played global citizens festival; I have no desire to attend another.  
    Me too. VIP 3....which apparently meant 3 miles away. I would go to another festival, I would never pay that much for a terrible spot again.
  • on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,378
    I’m about the experience and novelty of some of these shows.  I’ve seen them at Wrigley and Fenway and in Central Park.  If Pearl Jam was playing Woodstock I would want to see them there.  It’s a unique venue and even better it’s in driving distance.   
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• In my opinion the band would play this and I would not attend. My very first concert was a multi=band outdoor show at a stadium in 1976 and I've been to a few others since. I am too old to deal with the crowds, the port-a-potties and the suspect food. Now...you kids get off my lawn...great googly-moogly....
    Raleigh, NC., 8/31/98, Charlotte, NC., 8/4/00, Greensboro, NC., 8/6/00, Mountain View, CA., 10/31/00, Raleigh, NC., 4/15/03, Charlotte, NC., 4/16/03, Mountain View, CA., 10/25/03, Asheville, NC., 10/6/04, Philadelphia, PA., 10/3/05, Washington D.C, 5/30/06, Virginia Beach, VA., 6/17/07, Philadelphia, PA., 10/28/09, Charlottesville, VA., 10/29/13, Charlotte, NC., 10/30/13, Memphis, TN., 10/14/14, Greenville, SC., 4/16/16, Hampton, VA., 4/19/16, Raleigh, NC., 4/20/16, Columbia, SC., 4/21/16, Boston, MA., 8/5/16, Boston 9/2/18 & 9/4/18., Nashville, TN., 4/2/20., Nashville, TN., 9/16/22.

EV Solo - Washington, D.C., 8/17/08, Atlanta, GA., 6/24/09, Orlando, FL., 11/27/12.