Options

US Christian Missionary endanger the lives of inhabitants on isolated Indian island

Comments

• Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,001
    PJ_Soul said:
    If this guy didn't deserve to die then NOBODY does.
    So someone trying to spread his religion deserves to die more than the dozens of people on death row for multiple intentional homicides? 
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,106
    PJ_Soul said:
    Yeah I don’t agree with this at all. This is the worst thing someone has ever done? 
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,961
    edited November 2018
    mace1229 said:
    Read through the first 3 pages. I'm surprised by the amount of hate towards the missionary. 
    He was not smart in what he did, and should not have gone there, but he did what he thought was right. You can't blame hi for what others did hundreds of years before him. He did not deserve to die and it is a sad story, no matter how stupid his decision to go was.
    Penn, from Penn and Teller said something in an interview one time that struck me. He is an open atheist, but said he is often offended when someone of religion doesn't talk to him about God. The reason is even if he doesn't agree, that person believes they are going to hell and they don't care enough to even mention it. So why be offended when someone reaches out to you? Why can't you be thankful that someone cares enough about you, even if you don't believe in it?

I don't blame the tribe, although I'm not sure I buy all the reasons put forth. I doubt they did it to protect their land or families. The incident that happened over 100 years earlier involved many men, not one unarmed man. I seriously doubt they felt threatened by a single man. Same with the 2 previous boats that washed ashore, I doubt they felt threatened enough, and was probably obvious that they had no control over the boats when they killed those men. There is no way they are aware of the disease others could bring. The truth is that many, probably most ancient tribes don't value life the way we do today. So killing a stranger doesn't require a second thought. Just like many of the native tribes in North, Central and South America. Many even had human sacrifices. So I don't think there's any reason to try and justify the killing, because to them there probably is no need for justification/ That's my guess, and that is all it is, a guess. 
    I agree they should be left alone and kept isolated.
    I think the reason for that is, throughout history, there has been so much murder/genocide/wars attributed to "christians doing what they thought was right". 

I also don't believe he deserved to die, but I think some people define "deserved" differently than I might. if there are only two choices, where one choice is the missionary dies, or the tribe potentially dies from western disease, who deserved their fate more?
    Exactly....he could have wiped out the entire population.  Maybe god intervened?
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,534
    edited November 2018
    PJ_Soul said:
    so if he escaped with his life, and didn't go back, but when was then charged with his crime, do you think the death penatly would apply here? 
    Of course not, I NEVER support the death penalty, and you know that. This and the death penalty aren't even close to the same thing. This is more like when a crazy rapist-burglar breaks into someone's home and starts attacking family members and someone shoots him in the head in self-defense.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    Yeah I don’t agree with this at all. This is the worst thing someone has ever done? 
    Not at all - wow everyone, I'm surprised that my comment seems to have gone over all of your heads.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    mace1229 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    So someone trying to spread his religion deserves to die more than the dozens of people on death row for multiple intentional homicides? 
    Nope, lol. SMH. I find it ridiculous that everyone's mind went to the DP when I said that. Silliness.
    Also, did everyone suddenly lose their full grasp of the English language, when they thought my sentence means that this guy deserves death more than anyone else on earth? Wtf?
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,832
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    so if he escaped with his life, and didn't go back, but when was then charged with his crime, do you think the death penatly would apply here? 
    Of course not, I NEVER support the death penalty, and you know that. This and the death penalty aren't even close to the same thing. This is more like when a crazy rapist-burglar breaks into someone's home and starts attacking family members and someone shoots him in the head in self-defense.
    well, to me "deserved" to die is different than what you're saying here. I think the tribe deserved to defend themselves in any way possible, but that's not the same as saying the missionary deserved to die. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    and speaking of inconsistent comparisons, I'm not sure how "missionary trying to spread the word of god" is in any way similar to "crazy rapist burglar breaks into someone's home and start attacking family members". 

no one knows what this guy's intent was, but I hardly believe it was to rape and murder the tribe, or to even shake their hands too hard. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    edited November 2018
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    well, to me "deserved" to die is different than what you're saying here. I think the tribe deserved to defend themselves in any way possible, but that's not the same as saying the missionary deserved to die. 
    That's fine. But I really do mean deserved. I think this guy deserved to die just like any criminal who goes into someone's home with the intent to commit harm to the people inside it and is faced with someone using lethal force in self-defense does.
  • Options
    well I don't think anyone deserves to die. I think that lethal force is definitely acceptable when defending yourself, but to me that's not the same as deserved. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,982
    edited November 2018
    Calm down everybody. This isn't a thread about Backspacer.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    STUFF IT AGNES! :wink:
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    edited November 2018
    well I don't think anyone deserves to die. I think that lethal force is definitely acceptable when defending yourself, but to me that's not the same as deserved. 
    Really? Fair enough. I totally think that a lot of people very much deserve to die. Basically anyone whose purposeful actions predictably threaten their lives deserve the death that it brought upon them. That doesn't mean I actually wish death upon anyone who places themselves in those circumstance... but sometimes I'm also glad they died, depending on the circumstances.
  • Options
    STUFF IT AGNES! :wink:

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    Really? Fair enough. I totally think that a lot of people very much deserve to die. Basically anyone whose purposeful actions predictably threaten their lives deserve the death that it brought upon them. That doesn't mean I actually wish death upon anyone who places themselves in those circumstance... but sometimes I'm also glad they died, depending on the circumstances.
    ... and people wanted me and you to start a family...
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    They did?? :lol:
    No seriously... you think there is something wrong with this perspective? If so, why?
  • Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    Didn't he attempt to go the island 7 times and was chased away on previous attempts.  What part of no did this fool not understand?  But I get it, my mother in law is a Jesus freak and holy roller from hell, some of them Jesus freaks really are that fucking dumb.  And guess, he is now taking a long dirt nap.  I'd rather enjoy than waste my time on a fairy tale.  Should have seen the look on her face when i said there is no heaven, imagine telling a 4 year there is no Santa, very similar expression, I imagine ...except I would never tell a child Santa is not real.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    being "glad" someone died? I mean, I have no sympathy for people who do jumpingjacks on the edge of a skyscraper to get likes on instagram, but I'm not "glad" they died. 

same with rapists/murderers. no sympathy, but not glad either. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,982
    edited November 2018
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    No seriously... you think there is something wrong with this perspective? If so, why?
    I'm not glad about death. I'm more sad about death. I think it is sad that this dumbfuck put himself in a position to be arrowed down, instead of trying to beat the high schore to Tetris or try to get to see "Fatal" live.
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    I'm not glad about death. I'm more sad about death. I think it is sad that this dumbfuck put himself in a position to be arrowed down, instead of trying to beat the high schore to Tetris or try to get to see "Fatal" live.
    To be clear, I'm not saying I'm glad this particular guy is dead. I really save that sentiment for people like serial killers who get done in by their attack victim, or when a matador gets gored or a lion hunter gets mauled to death. With this guy in particular... well, I definitely can't say I'm sad at all. He did get what he deserved, and his reasons for doing what he did are infuriating to me, so I'm really more annoyed than else. But I'm not glad that he's dead... I'm am glad he didn't manage to convert that tribe or anything I guess. But I'm specifically not glad about the publicity the story is getting though. I'm now more concerned about that tribe than ever. THAT is what I'm sad about. And it's all that dumb dead Christian's fault.
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    and speaking of inconsistent comparisons, I'm not sure how "missionary trying to spread the word of god" is in any way similar to "crazy rapist burglar breaks into someone's home and start attacking family members". 

no one knows what this guy's intent was, but I hardly believe it was to rape and murder the tribe, or to even shake their hands too hard. 
    But if you think about it from a historical perspective, isn't that literally what immediately followed the vast majority of times that Christian missionaries spread the word of God to indigenous peoples?
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    rgambs said:

But if you think about it from a historical perspective, isn't that literally what immediately followed the vast majority of times that Christian missionaries spread the word of God to indigenous peoples?
    yes, but we're talking present day here. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    mace1229 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Nope, lol. SMH. I find it ridiculous that everyone's mind went to the DP when I said that. Silliness.
    Also, did everyone suddenly lose their full grasp of the English language, when they thought my sentence means that this guy deserves death more than anyone else on earth? Wtf?
    Well, you compared him to a rapist-burglar who gets shot in the head. I don't think its that big of a leap when you compare an unarmed missionary trying to share the Bible religion to a rapist. I'm not going to scroll up, but I'm pretty sure you said "no one deserves to die as much as him" or something very close to that.
    SO with that being said, comparing him to a rapist, yeah, I can see why several on here are thinking that.
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    edited November 2018
    my2hands said:
    This is a perfect example of "shit white people do"... dude paddled up with a bible & cross lol

Lol, you managed to be a bigot and make a racist statement. I’m glad we get to read everyone’s real thoughts on immigration. 
    I'm white, and a man, and i reserve the right to make fun of white people, especially white males . That is how shit works, so lighten up. Don't like it? I dont give a shit 

This is a perfect example of shit white people do, especially males... fucking moron paddled up with a bible & cross like they would even understand him or be able to read. White people shit, bro
    Post edited by my2hands on
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    rgambs said:

Exactly. That is exactly why I think that was a fair comparison. I see missionaries like this guy as a HUGE threat, dangerous, harmful, for sure deadly. I see no reason to assume that those tribes people feel any different about him coming on shore than a family would while someone is breaking into their home and threatening their lives. No different at all. Maybe even more threatened, because it threatens the whole tribe, not just one family.
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    mace1229 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mace1229 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Well, you compared him to a rapist-burglar who gets shot in the head. I don't think its that big of a leap when you compare an unarmed missionary trying to share the Bible religion to a rapist. I'm not going to scroll up, but I'm pretty sure you said "no one deserves to die as much as him" or something very close to that.
    SO with that being said, comparing him to a rapist, yeah, I can see why several on here are thinking that.
    No, I did not say no one deserves to die as much as him, and didn't come close to it, lol.
    Anyway, I made that comment before I mentioned a rapist, but I do stand by the comparison in any case, and am surprised that so few think it's apt. It tells me that most aren't really thinking about the perspective of the tribes people at all.
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,106
    PJ_Soul said:
    mace1229 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mace1229 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Well I made that comment before I mentioned a rapist, but I do stand by the comparison in any case, and am surprised that so few think it's apt. It tells me that most aren't really thinking about the perspective of the tribes people at all.
    Or they just disagree with you. I mean, you may not be correct, that is an option. 
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    pretty sure I've detailed the possible perspectives of the tribespeople. still not a fair comparison at all, especially since the tribe most likely would have little to no historical perspective to draw on. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    edited November 2018
    PJ_Soul said:
    mace1229 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mace1229 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Well I made that comment before I mentioned a rapist, but I do stand by the comparison in any case, and am surprised that so few think it's apt. It tells me that most aren't really thinking about the perspective of the tribes people at all.
    Or they just disagree with you. I mean, you may not be correct, that is an option. 
    No, it isn't, lol. Not this time. What they're doing is assuming that the missionary guy wasn't as dangerous as a murderer/rapist to those people on that island. But that isn't the case. I think they are failing to see it from that perspective. They have to be. Otherwise they would at least understand my comparison, if not agree with it. But this concept seems to have whooshed right over most of their heads.
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    PJ_Soul said:
    mace1229 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mace1229 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    I've said I think the missionary was wrong and the tribe should be left alone.
    But I consider a rapist one of the lowest people on earth. This guy was much better than that. He made a bad decision, but that decision had good intentions whether you agree with him or not. That makes a big difference in my book.
    I think saying he deserved this and comparing him to anyone bad, especially a rapist, is not accurate and overreaching.