Options

US Christian Missionary endanger the lives of inhabitants on isolated Indian island

Comments

• Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,312
    That’s the problem I have with religious people/groups they can’t just worship for themselves, but they wanna push their beliefs onto others it’s absurd ...
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    And now the police are trying to do their thing:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/police-face-off-with-tribe-in-missionary-killing/ar-BBQ4sQE?li=AAggNb9&ocid=edgsp

I love the religious groups insisting on prosecuting the people. Just leave them alone for f**ks sakes.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,911
    very interesting (https://www.yahoo.com/news/police-face-off-tribe-missionary-killing-072520441.html):

The Sentinelese normally attack anyone who goes to the island and Pathak said police are monitoring to see if there is a repeat of an incident after two fishermen who strayed onto the island were killed in 2006.

One week after their deaths, the bodies of the two Indians were hooked on bamboo stakes facing out to sea. 

"It was a kind of scarecrow," Pathak said.

"We are studying the 2006 case. We are asking anthropologists what they do when they kill an outsider," the police chief added. "We are trying to understand the group psychology."

Though Chau's death is officially a murder case, anthropologists say it may be impossible to retrieve the American's body and that no charges will be made against the protected tribe.

I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,520
    Stand your ground!
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,880
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,126
    Jason P said:
    Jason P said:
    what about the fishermen who ferried the dumb dumb to the island of death for what probably was pizza money on a NFL sunday afternoon here in the states?  they were either willing to kill off an entire population of islanders via the plague or watch someone with mental issues get shot to death with arrows.

Quit calling people of the faith people with mental issues.

Yah yah... they seem kinda weird believing in fairy tales, but I'm not sure that qualifies them as 'mental'.

As for the fishermen... I agree with you for what you're getting at.
    I'm not saying faith is a mental issue.  Going to an island where people are known to shoot you with arrows is a mental condition.  He could have been going there for faith or to tell them his favorite color is green or that the new Star Wars movies are awesome when you see them in the theaters but upon repeated viewings you begin to notice massive plot holes ... the underlying notion of going to death island or dinosaur island or zombie island is not the option of sane cognitive thinking.

The guy was an imbecile. He felt like he was going to save these people? Like they were lost on their island and godless (destined for Hell)? How f**king arrogant... and borne by complete lunacy- not to mention reckless for both sides of the equation.

My post to you was obviously a failed attempt at taking a shot at religion. If you want to believe in Santa then go ahead and believe in Santa. Don't push Santa on people that are grounded in reality (like the island inhabitants). 
    Of the 8.4 billion (in 2015) people on earth only 1.2 billion do not affiliate with a religion. So perhaps insulting them by comparing God to Santa isn’t a great thing to do?
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    my2hands said:
    This is a perfect example of "shit white people do"... dude paddled up with a bible & cross lol

Lol, you managed to be a bigot and make a racist statement. I’m glad we get to read everyone’s real thoughts on immigration. 
  • Options
    That’s the problem I have with religious people/groups they can’t just worship for themselves, but they wanna push their beliefs onto others it’s absurd ...
    If someone tells you about a documentary or book they read and bring it to you to offer for you to read or watch would you consider that pushing you to reading or watching it? People trying to present you with a bible or talking about God isn’t pushing as long as they’re not threatening or berating you. God won’t force you to believe. That’s your choice. 
  • Options
    Jason P said:
    Jason P said:
    what about the fishermen who ferried the dumb dumb to the island of death for what probably was pizza money on a NFL sunday afternoon here in the states?  they were either willing to kill off an entire population of islanders via the plague or watch someone with mental issues get shot to death with arrows.

Yah yah... they seem kinda weird believing in fairy tales, but I'm not sure that qualifies them as 'mental'.

I'm not saying faith is a mental issue.  Going to an island where people are known to shoot you with arrows is a mental condition.  He could have been going there for faith or to tell them his favorite color is green or that the new Star Wars movies are awesome when you see them in the theaters but upon repeated viewings you begin to notice massive plot holes ... the underlying notion of going to death island or dinosaur island or zombie island is not the option of sane cognitive thinking.

The guy was an imbecile. He felt like he was going to save these people? Like they were lost on their island and godless (destined for Hell)? How f**king arrogant... and borne by complete lunacy- not to mention reckless for both sides of the equation.

My post to you was obviously a failed attempt at taking a shot at religion. If you want to believe in Santa then go ahead and believe in Santa. Don't push Santa on people that are grounded in reality (like the island inhabitants). 
    Of the 8.4 billion (in 2015) people on earth only 1.2 billion do not affiliate with a religion. So perhaps insulting them by comparing God to Santa isn’t a great thing to do?

Maybe.

Or maybe it reveals how far we still have to go before we fully evolve? When we think an eclipse is a sign from God... or even that a God exists for that matter... it's not really a wonder why mankind is void of critical thought. 
  • Options
    If someone tells you about a documentary or book they read and bring it to you to offer for you to read or watch would you consider that pushing you to reading or watching it? People trying to present you with a bible or talking about God isn’t pushing as long as they’re not threatening or berating you. God won’t force you to believe. That’s your choice. 

Lol

Knocking on people's door and spreading the word is pushing your beliefs. And sorry... but so is paddling to a hostile island that wants nothing to do with outsiders.

Thanks for trying to help us halfwits, but we're okay. We really are. You can have the last laugh when you are running around Heaven in white robes and high fiving Jesus while we labour in fire.
  • Options

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/police-face-off-with-tribe-in-missionary-killing/ar-BBQ4sQE?li=AAggNb9&ocid=edgsp

I love the religious groups insisting on prosecuting the people. Just leave them alone for f**ks sakes.
    May I have the link to read about the religious groups that are insisting on prosecuting them. 
  • Options

Lol

Knocking on people's door and spreading the word is pushing your beliefs. And sorry... but so is paddling to a hostile island that wants nothing to do with outsiders.

Thanks for trying to help us halfwits, but we're okay. We really are. You can have the last laugh when you are running around Heaven in white robes and high fiving Jesus while we labour in fire.
    Aren’t you pushing your beliefs here? Don’t we all? 
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,828

Lol

Which endangers no one, and everyone who comes here to read has in this way given permission to read what is here. 

my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    my2hands said:
    This is a perfect example of "shit white people do"... dude paddled up with a bible & cross lol

Lol, you managed to be a bigot and make a racist statement. I’m glad we get to read everyone’s real thoughts on immigration. 
    In what way do you think responses to this story reflect posters’ opinions on immigration, given that it is about a completely different issue? 
  • Options

Lol

Which endangers no one, and everyone who comes here to read has in this way given permission to read what is here. 

So people preaching their religious beliefs are endangering people? Cause if you were reading the back and forth we weren’t taking about the specific guy.

hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,759
    Jason P said:
    Jason P said:

My first thought when I read this:

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options

Lol

So people preaching their religious beliefs are endangering people? Cause if you were reading the back and forth we weren’t taking about the specific guy.

30s post that you responded to talks about this specific guy. 

• Options

May I have the link to read about the religious groups that are insisting on prosecuting them. 

The stories will surface for you somewhere- I can't recall where I skimmed it and I don't wish to retrieve it.

I will say the guy's parents are not asking for any form of prosecution for anyone including the fishermen who delivered their son to his fatal end (this story is out there as well).
  • Options

Lol

Sure.

But I don't go knocking on people's doors to tell them to 'wise up'... or- for that matter- blow people up for believing differently than me. 
  • Options

Here's a quick google search (it's not the original story I read):
    https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/india/christian-group-invites-ridicule-with-demand-of-murder-charges-against-sentinelese/articleshow/66776223.cms
  • Options
    my2hands said:

In what way do you think responses to this story reflect posters’ opinions on immigration, given that it is about a completely different issue? 
    It’s not different in the least. Someone was attempting to go to a land. They weren’t welcome. The people there believed that the alien may have come to take over their way of life or to harm them or put stress on their people. They made sure it didn’t happen. You all (most) believe they were right in what they did.
  • Options
    my2hands said:

It’s not different in the least. Someone was attempting to go to a land. They weren’t welcome. The people there believed that the alien may have come to take over their way of life or to harm them or put stress on their people. They made sure it didn’t happen. You all (most) believe they were right in what they did.

There's a difference here. These island inhabitants are pure and untouched. Not only were they physically in danger by the introduction of disease their immune systems could not deal with, their way of life would have been obliterated.

Modern day immigration in the modern world by modernized people is not even close to this situation (I'm presuming you are speaking of immigration to the US). 
  • Options
    my2hands said:

Are you high? 
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    brianlux said:
    Jason P said:
    Jason P said:

My first thought when I read this:

George Carlin is the best...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    my2hands said:

Are you high? 
    No, sorry I don’t partake. Maybe I should so I can block out the hypocrisy I see from all of us. I have to pass on it though. 
  • Options
    my2hands said:

Are you high? 
    No, sorry I don’t partake. Maybe I should so I can block out the hypocrisy I see from all of us. I have to pass on it though. 
    There is no hypocrisy on display here in this thread. Your analogy was poorly constructed.

This idiot wasn’t even looking to immigrate so the scenarios can’t even be compared for one. And if he was... well then the two situations still aren’t comparable. At all.
  • Options
    my2hands said:

Are you high? 
    There is no hypocrisy on display here in this thread. Your analogy was poorly constructed.

This idiot wasn’t even looking to immigrate so the scenarios can’t even be compared for one. And if he was... well then the two situations still aren’t comparable. At all.
    Oh, they are. Just like saying the Indians should have kept the Europeans out of North America. 
  • Options
    my2hands said:

Are you high? 

Oh, they are. Just like saying the Indians should have kept the Europeans out of North America. 

No.

You're being silly now.

For the record (and without a doubt), if the Indians had known what was ahead for them... they should have met the European invasion with as much force as they could muster. Saying this is not suggesting I am apologizing for my existence- I'm not.
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,759
    my2hands said:

Are you high? 

No.

You're being silly now.

For the record (and without a doubt), if the Indians had known what was ahead for them... they should have met the European invasion with as much force as they could muster. Saying this is not suggesting I am apologizing for my existence- I'm not.
    Indeed!  Indians were far too trusting and white European Christians knew it. 

Conquest of tribal peoples has been going on for centuries.  There is and never has been justification for those actions, actions far more often than not plotted and carried out by white Christians. I don't see how anyone can support those actions.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    njnancynjnancy Northern New Jersey Posts: 5,096
    brianlux said:
    my2hands said:

Are you high? 

No.

You're being silly now.

Indeed!  Indians were far too trusting and white European Christians knew it. 

Conquest of tribal peoples has been going on for centuries.  There is and never has been justification for those actions, actions far more often than not plotted and carried out by white Christians. I don't see how anyone can support those actions.
    This and what the missionary guy did would be more in the category of invasion rather than immigration. I am not a pilgrim so I was not around when North America was 'discovered', but even now we treat Native Americans horribly. 

Several hundred years later and after a government and immigration system was established, my grandparents emigrated here - making them immigrants. Just as those who are trying to seek asylum at the Southern border are hoping to become refugees and others wish to become immigrants, though they are being treated as an invading force which is complete bs. 

Anyway - that is immigration. Invasion is taking over someone else's land without their permission. The missionary did not seek to become a tribes person or to immigrate into the Island - he was invading on protected land. His attempts to proselytize were an invasion upon an endangered species. They do not understand what language he is speaking nor do they understand what he is trying to do. It could be compared to jumping into a lion's den at the zoo and attempting to convert them to his religion. The understanding of what he was trying to do and the protective status of both groups in both places are the same. People would think it was horrible if the lions ate him, but wouldn't he be considered an imbecile for trying to convert lions? These people have the same knowledge of the world and language. They are not stupid by any means, they just do not understand why he is there, at all. And so they kill him. He is invading and is a danger. He is not immigrating.

He said it was the last thing he had on his bucket list, so his bucket list is now complete.