Options

US Christian Missionary endanger the lives of inhabitants on isolated Indian island

Comments

• Options
    PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    edited November 2018
    PJPOWER said:
    tbergs said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    The tribe just stood their ground....the right should be proud of that
    If that’s the case, then the left should be angry about that.
    There's nothing wrong with standing your ground when it's justifiable.  
    I agree...
    Then why make the statement you just did? Is "the left" angry about a justifiable stand your ground incident I am blanking on here?
    Why make the statement that he just did?  Why does everything have to come down to the left or the right?
    Because the right has a real problem with hypocrisy.
    Yawn...pretty sure there are plenty examples of left and right wing hypocrisy in the world today.  Tons on the AMT alone.  
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,006
    edited November 2018
    The guy went to the island the day before he was killed correct?  He got shot that day as well. 

Dude was an idiot.  He thought god was going to protect him and Darwin took over.
    An arrow pierced his Bible. 

Someone shooting arrows at me - I BETTER TELL THEM MORE ABOUT HOW BEING GAY IS A SIN AND ABOUT ALL THE DINOSAURS LIVING 4000 YEARS AGO!
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    PJPOWER said:
    tbergs said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    I agree...
    Then why make the statement you just did? Is "the left" angry about a justifiable stand your ground incident I am blanking on here?
    Because he's falling back into the right-winged "I'm angry at progress" corner instinctively.
    Yeah, that’s it.  Hyuk hyuk hyuk
    Yep.
    Hyuk hyuk hyuk
  • Options
    The guy went to the island the day before he was killed correct?  He got shot that day as well. 

Dude was an idiot.  He thought god was going to protect him and Darwin took over.
    Does anyone around here, right or left, disagree with this?  I know some may see him as a martyr, but even the Bible says people should obey the “law of the land”.  He completely disregarded the law and suffered the consequences of doing so, just like the “asylum seekers” that ate a rubber bullet in the process of breaking the law.
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    tbergs said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    I agree...
    Why make the statement that he just did?  Why does everything have to come down to the left or the right?
    Because the right has a real problem with hypocrisy.
    Yawn...pretty sure there are plenty examples of left and right wing hypocrisy in the world today.  Tons on the AMT alone.  
    one from today. Top dems refuse to donate to or fundraise for Gillbrand after they see her as responsible for the ousting of Al Franken:

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/11/26/al-franken-kirsten-gillibrand-2020-1014697
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,006
    edited November 2018
    PJPOWER said:

Does anyone around here, right or left, disagree with this?  I know some may see him as a martyr, but even the Bible says people should obey the “law of the land”.  He completely disregarded the law and suffered the consequences of doing so, just like the “asylum seekers” that ate a rubber bullet in the process of breaking the law.
    Why do you put asylum seekers in quotation?
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    PJPOWER said:

Why do you put asylum seekers in quotation?
    Just to annoy you mainly...glad you noticed. /s. But seriously, there is another thread for that rabbit hole of a topic.
    Post edited by PJPOWER on
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,544
    Gern Blansten said: li

An arrow pierced his Bible. 

Someone shooting arrows at me - I BETTER TELL THEM MORE ABOUT HOW BEING GAY IS A SIN AND ABOUT ALL THE DINOSAURS LIVING 4000 YEARS AGO!
    You forgot .... abortion bad death penalty good
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,108
    my2hands said:
    This is a perfect example of "shit white people do"... dude paddled up with a bible & cross lol

Lol, you managed to be a bigot and make a racist statement. I’m glad we get to read everyone’s real thoughts on immigration. 
    In what way do you think responses to this story reflect posters’ opinions on immigration, given that it is about a completely different issue? 
    It’s not different in the least. Someone was attempting to go to a land. They weren’t welcome. The people there believed that the alien may have come to take over their way of life or to harm them or put stress on their people. They made sure it didn’t happen. You all (most) believe they were right in what they did.
    Are you high? 
    No, sorry I don’t partake. Maybe I should so I can block out the hypocrisy I see from all of us. I have to pass on it though. 
    There is no hypocrisy on display here in this thread. Your analogy was poorly constructed.

This idiot wasn’t even looking to immigrate so the scenarios can’t even be compared for one. And if he was... well then the two situations still aren’t comparable. At all.
    Oh, they are. Just like saying the Indians should have kept the Europeans out of North America. 

No.

You're being silly now.

For the record (and without a doubt), if the Indians had known what was ahead for them... they should have met the European invasion with as much force as they could muster. Saying this is not suggesting I am apologizing for my existence- I'm not.
    Is that why we’re sending troops to the border? For what might be???? 
    I am assuming so. You’re worried that a caravan of broken Honduran people fleeing the violence of their home country is the first step in the decimation of the US people.

No?
    You all seem to be the ones against immigration. I was just pointing out hypocrisy. 
    No you are not pointing out hypocrisy -- you show your own problems with connecting dots and thinking out analogys.
    No, I can connect the dots that some people refuse to acknowledge. Read what’s written. 
    the caravan is not an invasion. 
    most here are not against legal immigration or claiming asylum
    the christian was SEEN by the inhabitants of the island as an invasion, and was dealt with accordingly. and whether you wish to acknowledge it or not, his intent is irrelevant to whether he was actually an invader or not. he most likely did not intend to infect them with bacteria we are immune to. but that's what he very likely could have done. 
    they didn't know he was christian. they don't fucking know what a christian even is. I would have the same non-feelings towards the guy had he been an ahtiest going there to peddle his Scientific ways. 
    So you say the caravan is not an invasion but this guy was...I’m just trying to understand how these are different.  Not being a smart ass, but what makes it different for someone to go to that island vs enter another country illegally? 

Is it really just about protecting an ancient tribe? Cause I guess that’s the only difference I see and why it should be handled differently. They don’t have the means to handle the situation any different then they do without risking their lives and their entire way of life. Countries, like the US, do. Otherwise it is the exact same situation, but the way it should be handled can be different. Is that correct?
    america has all the information (see: common sense) to know the caravan is not an invasion. the tribe do not. THAT is the difference. 

I'm not sure how one can say "it is the exact same situation except for all of the determining factors". because that's what you are saying here. 
    No I don’t think I’m saying that at all. A person entering another persons land. Is the same situation. All the other things are why the reactions are different.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    my2hands said:
    This is a perfect example of "shit white people do"... dude paddled up with a bible & cross lol

Lol, you managed to be a bigot and make a racist statement. I’m glad we get to read everyone’s real thoughts on immigration. 
    In what way do you think responses to this story reflect posters’ opinions on immigration, given that it is about a completely different issue? 
    It’s not different in the least. Someone was attempting to go to a land. They weren’t welcome. The people there believed that the alien may have come to take over their way of life or to harm them or put stress on their people. They made sure it didn’t happen. You all (most) believe they were right in what they did.
    Are you high? 
    No, sorry I don’t partake. Maybe I should so I can block out the hypocrisy I see from all of us. I have to pass on it though. 
    There is no hypocrisy on display here in this thread. Your analogy was poorly constructed.

This idiot wasn’t even looking to immigrate so the scenarios can’t even be compared for one. And if he was... well then the two situations still aren’t comparable. At all.
    Oh, they are. Just like saying the Indians should have kept the Europeans out of North America. 

No.

You're being silly now.

For the record (and without a doubt), if the Indians had known what was ahead for them... they should have met the European invasion with as much force as they could muster. Saying this is not suggesting I am apologizing for my existence- I'm not.
    I am assuming so. You’re worried that a caravan of broken Honduran people fleeing the violence of their home country is the first step in the decimation of the US people.

No?
    You all seem to be the ones against immigration. I was just pointing out hypocrisy. 
    No you are not pointing out hypocrisy -- you show your own problems with connecting dots and thinking out analogys.
    No, I can connect the dots that some people refuse to acknowledge. Read what’s written. 
    the christian was SEEN by the inhabitants of the island as an invasion, and was dealt with accordingly. and whether you wish to acknowledge it or not, his intent is irrelevant to whether he was actually an invader or not. he most likely did not intend to infect them with bacteria we are immune to. but that's what he very likely could have done. 
    they didn't know he was christian. they don't fucking know what a christian even is. I would have the same non-feelings towards the guy had he been an ahtiest going there to peddle his Scientific ways. 
    So you say the caravan is not an invasion but this guy was...I’m just trying to understand how these are different.  Not being a smart ass, but what makes it different for someone to go to that island vs enter another country illegally? 

Is it really just about protecting an ancient tribe? Cause I guess that’s the only difference I see and why it should be handled differently. They don’t have the means to handle the situation any different then they do without risking their lives and their entire way of life. Countries, like the US, do. Otherwise it is the exact same situation, but the way it should be handled can be different. Is that correct?
    america has all the information (see: common sense) to know the caravan is not an invasion. the tribe do not. THAT is the difference. 

I'm not sure how one can say "it is the exact same situation except for all of the determining factors". because that's what you are saying here. 
    No I don’t think I’m saying that at all. A person entering another persons land. Is the same situation. All the other things are why the reactions are different.
    Okey, well then me taking the train from Gothenburg and down to Copenhagen is the same situation.
  • Options
    my2hands said:

Are you high? 

No.

You're being silly now.

No?

Okey, well then me taking the train from Gothenburg and down to Copenhagen is the same situation.
    You illegally entering another country? 
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,781
    PJPOWER said:

except it IS legal to enter and request asylum.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    my2hands said:

Are you high? 

No.

You're being silly now.

No?

Oh, no. But I am a person entering another persons land. Is the same situation. All the other things are why the reactions are different.
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    heres some facts FROM the US Gov....

please note the first few sentences under the section on affirmative asylum processing.....

Post edited by mickeyrat on
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    mickeyrat said:
    PJPOWER said:

I am not arguing that, but the ones breaking down barriers or trying to enter using violence are breaking the law.  And they are not yet physically in the US...
  • Options
    PJPOWER said:
    mickeyrat said:
    PJPOWER said:

I am not arguing that, but the ones breaking down barriers or trying to enter using violence are breaking the law.  And they are not yet physically in the US...
    do you mind linking me to some images or video where those seeking to enter here are engaged in violence?

only thing I have seen is women with kids running from tear gas and reports that rubber bullets are being used at the same time.

• Options
    my2hands said:

Are you high? 

No.

You're being silly now.

No?

Oh, no. But I am a person entering another persons land. Is the same situation. All the other things are why the reactions are different.
    Why so angry?

But I’ll play along. Yes it is the same. Except the countries you are leaving and going to have set up rules to allow this travel and you followed the rules. Anyhow I’m not sure why this is getting you all upset. I asked a question and even came to the conclusion that the tribe is ok to respond as they did and the US or other countries should have a humane process instead.

I was trying to decide if I was ok that this tribe killed trespassers/illegal immigrants. 

hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    mickeyrat said:
    PJPOWER said:
    mickeyrat said:
    PJPOWER said:

do you mind linking me to some images or video where those seeking to enter here are engaged in violence?

only thing I have seen is women with kids running from tear gas and reports that rubber bullets are being used at the same time.
    I posted a link in the immigration thread.  Reports of rocks and “projectiles” being thrown at border patrol agents and Mexico deporting the ones that were caught doing so.
  • Options
    my2hands said:

Are you high? 

No.

You're being silly now.

No?

Why so angry?

But I’ll play along. Yes it is the same. Except the countries you are leaving and going to have set up rules to allow this travel and you followed the rules. Anyhow I’m not sure why this is getting you all upset. I asked a question and even came to the conclusion that the tribe is ok to respond as they did and the US or other countries should have a humane process instead.

I was trying to decide if I was ok that this tribe killed trespassers/illegal immigrants. 

could just be me, but I don't see spiritual as being upset at all. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    my2hands said:

Are you high? 

No.

You're being silly now.

No?

Why so angry?

could just be me, but I don't see spiritual as being upset at all. 
    I may have mixed threads. Whoops. 
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,793
    ...heh....missionary....
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
  • Options
    CM189191 said:
    ...heh....missionary....
    you said missionary, Beavis. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    PJPOWER said:
    mickeyrat said:
    PJPOWER said:
    mickeyrat said:
    PJPOWER said:

I posted a link in the immigration thread.  Reports of rocks and “projectiles” being thrown at border patrol agents and Mexico deporting the ones that were caught doing so.
    ok. will look for it.

now as you briefly describe here, it seems the system at least from mexicos stand point is working?

so is it lawful for US agents to be firing over the wall/border? it sounds as if mexican state agents are present somewhere on there side. doesnt the US response to rocks and "projectiles" put them in some jeopardy while they carry out their duties according to their laws?

• Options
    mickeyrat said:
    PJPOWER said:
    mickeyrat said:
    PJPOWER said:
    mickeyrat said:
    PJPOWER said:

ok. will look for it.

now as you briefly describe here, it seems the system at least from mexicos stand point is working?

so is it lawful for US agents to be firing over the wall/border? it sounds as if mexican state agents are present somewhere on there side. doesnt the US response to rocks and "projectiles" put them in some jeopardy while they carry out their duties according to their laws?
    Idk, Mexico and the US have corporated to varying degrees on border enforcement related issues.  
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,008
    Read through the first 3 pages. I'm surprised by the amount of hate towards the missionary. 
    He was not smart in what he did, and should not have gone there, but he did what he thought was right. You can't blame hi for what others did hundreds of years before him. He did not deserve to die and it is a sad story, no matter how stupid his decision to go was.
    Penn, from Penn and Teller said something in an interview one time that struck me. He is an open atheist, but said he is often offended when someone of religion doesn't talk to him about God. The reason is even if he doesn't agree, that person believes they are going to hell and they don't care enough to even mention it. So why be offended when someone reaches out to you? Why can't you be thankful that someone cares enough about you, even if you don't believe in it?

I don't blame the tribe, although I'm not sure I buy all the reasons put forth. I doubt they did it to protect their land or families. The incident that happened over 100 years earlier involved many men, not one unarmed man. I seriously doubt they felt threatened by a single man. Same with the 2 previous boats that washed ashore, I doubt they felt threatened enough, and was probably obvious that they had no control over the boats when they killed those men. There is no way they are aware of the disease others could bring. The truth is that many, probably most ancient tribes don't value life the way we do today. So killing a stranger doesn't require a second thought. Just like many of the native tribes in North, Central and South America. Many even had human sacrifices. So I don't think there's any reason to try and justify the killing, because to them there probably is no need for justification/ That's my guess, and that is all it is, a guess. 
    I agree they should be left alone and kept isolated.
  • Options
    mace1229 said:
    Read through the first 3 pages. I'm surprised by the amount of hate towards the missionary. 
    He was not smart in what he did, and should not have gone there, but he did what he thought was right. You can't blame hi for what others did hundreds of years before him. He did not deserve to die and it is a sad story, no matter how stupid his decision to go was.
    Penn, from Penn and Teller said something in an interview one time that struck me. He is an open atheist, but said he is often offended when someone of religion doesn't talk to him about God. The reason is even if he doesn't agree, that person believes they are going to hell and they don't care enough to even mention it. So why be offended when someone reaches out to you? Why can't you be thankful that someone cares enough about you, even if you don't believe in it?

I don't blame the tribe, although I'm not sure I buy all the reasons put forth. I doubt they did it to protect their land or families. The incident that happened over 100 years earlier involved many men, not one unarmed man. I seriously doubt they felt threatened by a single man. Same with the 2 previous boats that washed ashore, I doubt they felt threatened enough, and was probably obvious that they had no control over the boats when they killed those men. There is no way they are aware of the disease others could bring. The truth is that many, probably most ancient tribes don't value life the way we do today. So killing a stranger doesn't require a second thought. Just like many of the native tribes in North, Central and South America. Many even had human sacrifices. So I don't think there's any reason to try and justify the killing, because to them there probably is no need for justification/ That's my guess, and that is all it is, a guess. 
    I think the reason for that is, throughout history, there has been so much murder/genocide/wars attributed to "christians doing what they thought was right". 

I also don't believe he deserved to die, but I think some people define "deserved" differently than I might. if there are only two choices, where one choice is the missionary dies, or the tribe potentially dies from western disease, who deserved their fate more?
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,539
    If this guy didn't deserve to die then NOBODY does.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    value life the way we do today.  that to me is fucking laughable.

just as  we as a "civilized" society thought natives were savages and africans were less than human. thoughts which to some extent continue to this very day....  

• Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    If this guy didn't deserve to die then NOBODY does.
    so if he escaped with his life, and didn't go back, but when was then charged with his crime, do you think the death penatly would apply here? 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,967
    mace1229 said:

He knew he wasn't legally allowed to go there.  The people that took him there are being charged.

Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana