Options

US Christian Missionary endanger the lives of inhabitants on isolated Indian island

Comments

• Options
    LongestRoadLongestRoad Posts: 477
    edited November 2018
    Annafalk said:
    Annafalk said:
    I think they did wrong, it's not ok to arrow down an unarmed defenseless man. It's sad that he was so naive but I would never say they did the right thing. 
    They are very primitive, it's a simple out-group seen as a threat to their safety situation. 
    I understand, I was only a bit concerned about people seem to cheer for murderers, I can understand why they did it but I wouldn't say they did right like some seem to think. 
    I feel like I'm reapeting myself, it's ok if no one understands me move on. 
    On a serious note, the island had been invaded and some were kidnapped previously. They’re protecting themselves from that and what if someone goes in and kills half of them from some illness. It’s not like he wasn’t aware of the danger. He chose to go, So he was ok with whatever Gods will. 
    Post edited by LongestRoad on
  • Options
    Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    Annafalk said:
    Annafalk said:
    I think they did wrong, it's not ok to arrow down an unarmed defenseless man. It's sad that he was so naive but I would never say they did the right thing. 
    They are very primitive, it's a simple out-group seen as a threat to their safety situation. 
    I understand, I was only a bit concerned about people seem to cheer for murderers, I can understand why they did it but I wouldn't say they did right like some seem to think. 
    I understand what you're saying :-) 
    Not right for sure but it's how it is sadly.
    I am very curious about this tribe, I wish there can be some more non violent contact without the risk of disease being spread to the island.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Options
    AnnafalkAnnafalk Sweden Posts: 4,004
    edited November 2018

Annafalk said:
    Annafalk said:
    I understand what you're saying :-) 
    Not right for sure but it's how it is sadly.
    I am very curious about this tribe, I wish there can be some more non violent contact without the risk of disease being spread to the island.
    Thank you, it feels like it would be almost like time travel to see their way of life. I understand your curiosity, something tells me they are not so Interested in us as we are in them.
    Post edited by Annafalk on
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,122
    I used to be an adventurer like you...then I took an arrow in the knee.
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,284
    If only a good guy with gun could of been there , you know the rest !
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    hahaha.
    There are a lot of 'bad hombres' on that island.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,284
    hahaha.
    There are a lot of 'bad hombres' on that island.
    Si lol 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,942
    edited November 2018
    Jason P said:
    I used to be an adventurer like you...then I took an arrow in the knee.
    Not enough gamers on here I think, to get your jokes. Haha.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    Annafalk said:
    In what way was he naive? 

The first thing you'll read about this tribe or similiar ones is the danger of disease and how we have wiped many of them them out before in history from us forcing our diseases on them.

So there is no chance he would know of them, and how to reach them -- without knowing this. 

His disgusting Christian missrionary-bullshit trumped the risk of mass murder. 

There is nothing naive about it. 
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    Annafalk said:
    Annafalk said:
    I understand that they have no knowledge. They could have just ignored him though, why justify them killing him. 
    but they have extreme fear of something they don't know. that's how primitive tribes work. you tresspass on their land, they kill you. I know it doesn't make sense to us, otherwise we'd all be murdering our mailmen, but to them, he is there to kill them, so they kill him first. 
    I it was a pack of wolves I would agree with you. I understand what you're saying I'm just saying I think they did wrong.
    What differentiates their situation from that of a pack of wolves, on your eyes?
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    Annafalk said:

The first thing you'll read about this tribe or similiar ones is the danger of disease and how we have wiped many of them them out before in history from us forcing our diseases on them.

So there is no chance he would know of them, and how to reach them -- without knowing this. 

He was naive to think he could go there to this violent tribe and convert them to Christianity so easily.

I don't think he was thinking about the eventual risks of diseases, as he probably wasn't feeling sick.

As I said before I think it was terrible wrong of him to go there.

(If we wouldn't have Christian missionaries like Ansgar coming over to Scandinavia about 1000 years ago maybe we still would believe in Tor, Oden, Freja :) The first one was apparently killed.
    Post edited by Annafalk on
  • Options
    Annafalk said:
    Annafalk said:
    I understand that they have no knowledge. They could have just ignored him though, why justify them killing him. 
    but they have extreme fear of something they don't know. that's how primitive tribes work. you tresspass on their land, they kill you. I know it doesn't make sense to us, otherwise we'd all be murdering our mailmen, but to them, he is there to kill them, so they kill him first. 
    I it was a pack of wolves I would agree with you. I understand what you're saying I'm just saying I think they did wrong.
    What differentiates their situation from that of a pack of wolves, on your eyes?
    The obvious that they are humans and they should know murder is wrong, they also killed two fishermen that was lost before. Even if they did wrong, I can understand them doing it.

• Options
    Annafalk said:
    Annafalk said:

He was naive to think he could go there to this violent tribe and convert them to Christianity so easily.

I don't think he was thinking about the eventual risks of diseases, as he probably wasn't feeling sick.

As I said before I think it was terrible wrong of him to go there.

(If we wouldn't have Christian missionaries like Ansgar coming over to Scandinavia about 1000 years ago maybe we still would believe in Tor, Oden, Freja :) The first one was apparently killed.
    Or we would have turned healthy atheist even quicker :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWp8vW7R6k8
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,691
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    This is a perfect example of "shit white people do"... dude paddled up with a bible & cross lol

• Options
    Even if he was very very naive, it's incredible that he dared to do that all alone. 
  • Options
    Hi!Hi! Posts: 3,095
    Jesus loves you and plastic footballs. Sorry to sound so harsh , but fuck him.

Detroit 2000, Detroit 2003 1-2, Grand Rapids VFC 2004, Philly 2005, Grand Rapids 2006, Detroit 2006, Cleveland 2006, Lollapalooza 2007, Detroit Eddie Solo 2011, Detroit 2014, Chicago 2016 1-2, Chicago 2018 1-2, Ohana Encore 2021 1-2, Chicago Eddie/Earthlings 2022 1-2, Nashville 2022, St. Louis 2022

• Options
    OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,822
    From what I’ve read some were kidnapped as an experiment a long time ago. The adults got sick and died. They returned the children. They remember and aren’t going to let that happen again. He knew the danger but went anyway on a mission. If the bible got to them,  it was a success. It’s now up to them what to do with it. The guys parents even understand the danger that he chose to ignore. He’s ok with it. The parents accept it. 
    What they do with the Bible?  What is the chance it’s in a language they can read.
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Options
    what about the fishermen who ferried the dumb dumb to the island of death for what probably was pizza money on a NFL sunday afternoon here in the states?  they were either willing to kill off an entire population of islanders via the plague or watch someone with mental issues get shot to death with arrows.
  • Options
    OnWis97 said:
    From what I’ve read some were kidnapped as an experiment a long time ago. The adults got sick and died. They returned the children. They remember and aren’t going to let that happen again. He knew the danger but went anyway on a mission. If the bible got to them,  it was a success. It’s now up to them what to do with it. The guys parents even understand the danger that he chose to ignore. He’s ok with it. The parents accept it. 
    What they do with the Bible?  What is the chance it’s in a language they can read.
    Exactly. What a stupid fuck that guy was.
  • Options
    Jason P said:
    what about the fishermen who ferried the dumb dumb to the island of death for what probably was pizza money on a NFL sunday afternoon here in the states?  they were either willing to kill off an entire population of islanders via the plague or watch someone with mental issues get shot to death with arrows.

Quit calling people of the faith people with mental issues.

Yah yah... they seem kinda weird believing in fairy tales, but I'm not sure that qualifies them as 'mental'.

As for the fishermen... I agree with you for what you're getting at.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,538
    Read this Twitter thread for background.....

• Options
    njnancynjnancy Northern New Jersey Posts: 5,096

That was fascinating. Very informative and video. That Portman guy had issues and the picture of him sitting amidst the tribe in his chair is disturbing. No wonder they don't trust strangers. It was really cool when someone was the child of the air lifters and solved the mystery of what the boat was carrying. They just want to be left alone. It's not a difficult thing to do. They don't need a bible. Coconuts, evidently are a big hit, though. Thanks! 
  • Options

Why some people can't show respect towards other civilizations is very disturbing.

At least he could understand he did wrong, I found this he had sai;
    about when they took people from the island the adults became sick and died and the children were returned.

“We cannot be said to have done anything more than increase their general terror of, and hostility to, all comers,” Mr. Portman wrote in his 1899 book.

• Options
    He died doing what he loved I suppose lol
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    Jason P said:

Yah yah... they seem kinda weird believing in fairy tales, but I'm not sure that qualifies them as 'mental'.

Having your own weird ego-trip of saving savages with a religion that has killed so many before trump the dangers you know you pose to them might not be clinically mental issues - but it's fucking disgusting.
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    Wth does Trump have to do with this? Lol
  • Options
    Jason P said:

I'm not saying faith is a mental issue.  Going to an island where people are known to shoot you with arrows is a mental condition.  He could have been going there for faith or to tell them his favorite color is green or that the new Star Wars movies are awesome when you see them in the theaters but upon repeated viewings you begin to notice massive plot holes ... the underlying notion of going to death island or dinosaur island or zombie island is not the option of sane cognitive thinking.
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Jason P said:

I dunno...
    It's one thing to believe in God and go to church sometimes, but this guy was on another level and I do think everyone on that level has mental issues.  The same way addicts and conspiracy theorists have mental issues.  He thought God was directly interceding in his life so he could save these people.
    If you take something so far that you tip into delusion and lose the ability to discern reality, then you've got mental issues.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    Jason P said:
    Jason P said:

I'm not saying faith is a mental issue.  Going to an island where people are known to shoot you with arrows is a mental condition.  He could have been going there for faith or to tell them his favorite color is green or that the new Star Wars movies are awesome when you see them in the theaters but upon repeated viewings you begin to notice massive plot holes ... the underlying notion of going to death island or dinosaur island or zombie island is not the option of sane cognitive thinking.

The guy was an imbecile. He felt like he was going to save these people? Like they were lost on their island and godless (destined for Hell)? How f**king arrogant... and borne by complete lunacy- not to mention reckless for both sides of the equation.

My post to you was obviously a failed attempt at taking a shot at religion. If you want to believe in Santa then go ahead and believe in Santa. Don't push Santa on people that are grounded in reality (like the island inhabitants). 
    "My brain's a good brain!"