Options

Alexandra Ocasio-Cortez

Comments

• Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,120
    dignin said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dignin said:
    They both used their power to abuse kids?
    You should watch some old SS footage if you have not.  AHC has an entire series on the crimes of the SS.  The comparison is akin to comparing a jay-walker to a serial killer.  
    I'm very well aware of the crimes of the SS. And I don't think comparing ICE to SS is fair...yet. But given the right man in charge they could do a lot worse. If anyone thinks that organizations in the US aren't capable of such madness they are naive. A couple of years ago people would have called me crazy if I told them America purposefully separated innocent kids (babies) from their parents permanently and kept them in cages. All because they were following orders. Always have to be aware of what's going on and the potential for worse.
    That’s like saying the military couldn’t be like Nazi Germany with the right person in charge though. 

So - besides the basics (uniforms, weapons, etc) how are ICE and SS so alike? I guess if like the original poster to state what they meant, don’t want to put words in their mouth. 
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    mrussel1 said:
    dignin said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dignin said:
    You should watch some old SS footage if you have not.  AHC has an entire series on the crimes of the SS.  The comparison is akin to comparing a jay-walker to a serial killer.  
    Good comparison.  The two are not even remotely the same. 
    Not really, SS we're serial killers and ICE has been accused of some pretty heinous crimes not equal to jaywalking. So I don't think the analogy works well.
    Waffen SS were systematic purveyors or genocide.  They came in behind the army and eliminated the citizenry.  This was not only sanctioned, it was required.  It was literally in the job duties.  I don't see how you can possibly make that comparison unless you have some knowledge no one else has.  
    I just said your analogy doesn't work so I don't know what your trying to say here.
  • Options
    dignin said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dignin said:
    I'm very well aware of the crimes of the SS. And I don't think comparing ICE to SS is fair...yet. But given the right man in charge they could do a lot worse. If anyone thinks that organizations in the US aren't capable of such madness they are naive. A couple of years ago people would have called me crazy if I told them America purposefully separated innocent kids (babies) from their parents permanently and kept them in cages. All because they were following orders. Always have to be aware of what's going on and the potential for worse.
    That’s like saying the military couldn’t be like Nazi Germany with the right person in charge though. 

I don't understand what you mean?
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,661
    dignin said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dignin said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dignin said:
    Not really, SS we're serial killers and ICE has been accused of some pretty heinous crimes not equal to jaywalking. So I don't think the analogy works well.
    Waffen SS were systematic purveyors or genocide.  They came in behind the army and eliminated the citizenry.  This was not only sanctioned, it was required.  It was literally in the job duties.  I don't see how you can possibly make that comparison unless you have some knowledge no one else has.  
    I just said your analogy doesn't work so I don't know what your trying to say here.
    I think it works because of the degrees of difference in severity, but fine who cares.  Either way, it's not fair to compare ICE to the SS.  There is a grand canyon between the crimes of a few officers and the mass, systematic genocide perpetrated as a practice.  That's the point.  And when comparisons like this are made, anyone to the right of AOC (75% of the country) roll their eyes and tune out relevant arguments.  
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,247
    And yet you voted for Trump? When does lying or perceived lying really matter to you?
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    dignin said:
    dignin said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dignin said:

I don't understand what you mean?
    "But given the right man in charge they could do a lot worse"

hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    unreal
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    dignin said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dignin said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dignin said:
    I think it works because of the degrees of difference in severity, but fine who cares.  Either way, it's not fair to compare ICE to the SS.  There is a grand canyon between the crimes of a few officers and the mass, systematic genocide perpetrated as a practice.  That's the point.  And when comparisons like this are made, anyone to the right of AOC (75% of the country) roll their eyes and tune out relevant arguments.  
    You basically said the accusations against ICE were the same as jaywalking. Minimizing serious accusations. I don't believe you think that, that's why the analogy is bad. But I agree, who cares.

And I already stated that the comparison was unfair, so I agree with your point.

Also, is there a poll where 75% of the country is right of AOC? Be interested to see it.
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,828
    dignin said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dignin said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dignin said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dignin said:
    You basically said the accusations against ICE were the same as jaywalking. Minimizing serious accusations. I don't believe you think that, that's why the analogy is bad. But I agree, who cares.

And I already stated that the comparison was unfair, so I agree with your point.

Also, is there a poll where 75% of the country is right of AOC? Be interested to see it.

I'd like to see that data, too. I think the available data shows that the majority of citizens want to be paid fairly, would like affordable and accessible healthcare, and are concerned about climate change. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    dignin said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dignin said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dignin said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dignin said:

I'm making a generalization that the extremes of each party represent about 25% of the population.  There's probably another 30% that are more moderate, where they take non-idealized positions and then another 20% or so that are completely disengaged.  Notwithstanding that article that tried to argue that liberal positions are mainstream and Joe Biden is therefore a Republican, I think it's safe to say that AOC is a camped on the hard left.  It's not an insult, it's about ideology.  
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    dignin said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dignin said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dignin said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dignin said:

I'm making a generalization that the extremes of each party represent about 25% of the population.  There's probably another 30% that are more moderate, where they take non-idealized positions and then another 20% or so that are completely disengaged.  Notwithstanding that article that tried to argue that liberal positions are mainstream and Joe Biden is therefore a Republican, I think it's safe to say that AOC is a camped on the hard left.  It's not an insult, it's about ideology.  
    What I got from that article was less about Joe Biden being a republican and more the idea that the media has framed AOC, Bernie and Warren as extreme when polling shows their policies are quite mainstream. That the media isn't being fair. 

• Options
    Considering Mrussell1 actually lives in America, and has his entire life, i'm not sure he needs to be grilled over his 75% statement or provide data... he is obviously generalizing, and pretty accurately in my experience
  • Options
    dignin said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dignin said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dignin said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dignin said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dignin said:

What I got from that article was less about Joe Biden being a republican and more the idea that the media has framed AOC, Bernie and Warren as extreme when polling shows their policies are quite mainstream. That the media isn't being fair. 

Fair enough, but it sought to disparage moderates like me.  And the point of moderation is the pace and the degree of any change or policy.  I'm all about green energy, but not about banning combustion engines in the next 5 years.  I'm pro-choice, but not for 9 month abortion where the health of the woman isn't at risk (I don't want to argue abortion, just making a point).  I'm pro-gun control which includes universal background, no ARs, etc, but still believe in the fundamentals of the 2nd amendment.  So that's where the author is misleading on polling and how polling has limitations, because so many people have guardrails around their beliefs that prevent them from swinging too far in either direction.  
  • Options
    my2hands said:
    Considering Mrussell1 actually lives in America, and has his entire life, i'm not sure he needs to be grilled over his 75% statement or provide data... he is obviously generalizing, and pretty accurately in my experience
    Haha. I'm not surprised you think polite questions are a grilling. I'm sure he's got this handled.
  • Options
    You guys take things so literally, its amazing

Asking for data was just flat out friggin silly and ridiculous when he was obviously generalizing... is that better?

arguing over semantics and silly shit that doesnt matter is old around here
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,016
    dignin said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dignin said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dignin said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dignin said:

I'd like to see that data, too. I think the available data shows that the majority of citizens want to be paid fairly, would like affordable and accessible healthcare, and are concerned about climate change. 
    Everyone wants those things, it is just how we can accomplish them that everyone disagrees on.
    I haven't seen any of that data either, but considering her "just pay for it" attitude and questionable comments like supporting those "unwilling to work" that 75% might have been a conservative estimate.
  • Options
    Again, I was using a generally accepted political talking point of how where the base of each party sits.  Don't get too caught up in it, it's not the point.  And yes Mace is right as is OftenReading... we all want those things.  Those are about the least controversial things you could say.  
  • Options
    While I may not have numbers to back this up, I'm fairly confident that it's more than 49% of the country that is to the right of AOC.  She does not represent a majority.  If you ask push poll questions like "Do you believe that the climate is changing and we should act on it" or "Do you believe all Americans should have access to affordable healthcare", then the questions will be resoundingly "YES" for exactly the reasons that Mace points out.  But these are essentially push polls that are designed to be used politically rather than measure people's real opinion.  They are useless.  
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,568
    edited February 2019
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Kamala Harris is pleasant to listen to. So is Elizabeth Warren. No barking at all from those two. Why is everyone paying so much attention to Bernie when these two women are so much more appealing?
    Harris pissed me off a bit when she was questioning the ICE nominee guy and asked him if he was aware of the "perception" that there are similarities between ICE and the KKK. What a fucking cop-out. Sounds like SHE thinks that there are similarities between ICE and the KKK, and so she should say that. Don't hide behind "people are saying." That's right out Trump's playbook. 

Warren's alright I guess. As for Harris, other than this ICE thing, her Jussie Smollet "lynching" quote, and her claim to have been listening to Tupac and Snoop in college, despite their debut albums coming out after she graduated, she's not bad. Hey, she's for legalizing weed. That carries weight with me. But I don't think either will win the nomination.
    Yeah, I actually see far more similarities between ICE and the SS myself. But I have no problems with how she phrased that question.

Warren is a really inspiring speaker, and truly enthusiastic. I think if she got a real shot (i.e. Bernie-like attention) she could actually manage to really energize people.
    Frankly, I feel like Americans just don't feel confident enough that a woman can win this one, in the sense that they don't want to take the chance of a female nominee, given the stakes.
    Hey if you think American law-enforcement officers are tantamount to being Nazis, I guess Harris is your candidate. I personally don't mind the comparison (though I don't agree), I just think she should have owned it and not hid behind the "there's a perception" crap. Again, that's just like Trump saying "Lots of people are saying......."

And I think you're right that people aren't feeling confident in a woman right now. Hillary had a lot of baggage, but also a lot of resources. If she couldn't win, Harris, Warren, or Gillilbrand would have lot of trouble. 
    Well nobody is my candidate (and please don't twist my words that way. Thank you). I can't vote for any of them. But that is a real perception held by many. She wasn't lying. Her saying that doesn't exclude her from thinking that at all. I really think you're making a mountain out of mole hill on that one.
    Yes, you sure did summarize the rampant sexism being exposed by this campaign run-up well. Those who deny that is a major factor (among others) are lying to themselves.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Kamala Harris is pleasant to listen to. So is Elizabeth Warren. No barking at all from those two. Why is everyone paying so much attention to Bernie when these two women are so much more appealing?
    Harris pissed me off a bit when she was questioning the ICE nominee guy and asked him if he was aware of the "perception" that there are similarities between ICE and the KKK. What a fucking cop-out. Sounds like SHE thinks that there are similarities between ICE and the KKK, and so she should say that. Don't hide behind "people are saying." That's right out Trump's playbook. 

Warren's alright I guess. As for Harris, other than this ICE thing, her Jussie Smollet "lynching" quote, and her claim to have been listening to Tupac and Snoop in college, despite their debut albums coming out after she graduated, she's not bad. Hey, she's for legalizing weed. That carries weight with me. But I don't think either will win the nomination.
    Yeah, I actually see far more similarities between ICE and the SS myself. But I have no problems with how she phrased that question.

Warren is a really inspiring speaker, and truly enthusiastic. I think if she got a real shot (i.e. Bernie-like attention) she could actually manage to really energize people.
    Frankly, I feel like Americans just don't feel confident enough that a woman can win this one, in the sense that they don't want to take the chance of a female nominee, given the stakes.
    Hey if you think American law-enforcement officers are tantamount to being Nazis, I guess Harris is your candidate. I personally don't mind the comparison (though I don't agree), I just think she should have owned it and not hid behind the "there's a perception" crap. Again, that's just like Trump saying "Lots of people are saying......."

And I think you're right that people aren't feeling confident in a woman right now. Hillary had a lot of baggage, but also a lot of resources. If she couldn't win, Harris, Warren, or Gillilbrand would have lot of trouble. 
    Well nobody is my candidate (and please don't twist my words that way. Thank you). I can't vote for any of them. But that is a real perception held by many. She wasn't lying. Her saying that doesn't exclude her from thinking that at all. I really think you're making a mountain out of mole hill on that one.
    Yes, you sure did summarize the rampant sexism being exposed by this campaign run-up well. Those who deny that is a major factor (among others) are lying to themselves.
    Seriously? This is your response? You're not going to address your ridiculous comparison of ICE to the SS? I'm sure you saw the responses to it on the previous page of this thread. Oh well. I guess I'd distance myself from a statement like that too. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

Seriously? This is your response? You're not going to address your ridiculous comparison of ICE to the SS? I'm sure you saw the responses to it on the previous page of this thread. Oh well. I guess I'd distance myself from a statement like that too. 
    You didn't ask me to address my comment about the similarities between ICE and the SS (and no, I didn't see any responses to it on the previous page). I have absolutely no need to distance myself from that comment. I point out such similarities without shame, and with confidence. ICE has been raiding minority communities and terrorizing people in their homes and work places, with military grade weapons, and rounding them up and hauling them away. Anyone who doesn't see similarities between that and how the SS used to round up Jews and take them from their homes is in denial. And I will not engage in yet another stupid debate about the nuances of parallels that some people refuse to get.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

You didn't ask me to address my comment about the similarities between ICE and the SS (and no, I didn't see any responses to it on the previous page). I have absolutely no need to distance myself from that comment. I point out such similarities without shame, and with confidence. ICE has been raiding minority communities and terrorizing people in their homes and rounding them up. Anyone who doesn't see similarities between that and how the SS used to round up Jews and take them from their homes is in denial.
    But those Jewish, Slavs, and Roma were systemically eliminated.  And the Nazis did it to German citizens and the citizens of the countries where they invaded, not illegal immigrants.  There is an enormous chasm between the two.  
  • Options
    Just to be clear, you are saying that any enforcement action on people here illegally is akin to the SS actions.  Is that correct?
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

You didn't ask me to address my comment about the similarities between ICE and the SS (and no, I didn't see any responses to it on the previous page). I have absolutely no need to distance myself from that comment. I point out such similarities without shame, and with confidence. ICE has been raiding minority communities and terrorizing people in their homes and rounding them up. Anyone who doesn't see similarities between that and how the SS used to round up Jews and take them from their homes is in denial.
    No I didn't ask you to respond. But you saw all the responses, so I just figured you would. 

It's my understanding (and I could be wrong) that ICE "rounds up" illegal immigrants for deportation. The SS on the other hand rounded up innocent Jews (and others) for mass genocide. I don't see your comparison.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,835
    page 38 is pretty much completely dedicated to shredding the comparison of SS to ICE. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    mrussel1 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

But those Jewish, Slavs, and Roma were systemically eliminated.  And the Nazis did it to German citizens and the citizens of the countries where they invaded, not illegal immigrants.  There is an enormous chasm between the two.  
    I didn't suggest that ICE then murdered them all. Again, I don't want to have to spell out the nuances of parallels, and how they are different from saying two things are exactly the same. I know for a fact you are easily smart enough to understand that. But FWIW, ICE has indiscriminately busted into homes where no illegal immigrants live in their community raids, and terrorized legal immigrants as well.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    mrussel1 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

I didn't suggest that ICE then murdered them all. Again, I don't want to have to spell out the nuances of parallels, and how they are different from saying two things are exactly the same. I know for a fact you are easily smart enough to understand that. But FWIW, ICE has indiscriminately busted into homes where no illegal immigrants live in their community raids, and terrorized legal immigrants as well.
    But even the parallels aren't as strong as say Trump and Hitler. Nobody that makes that comparison thinks Trump wants a mass genocide. They think he's a demagogue that's is stroking the flames of racism. But I think there aren't enough parallels to compare ICE to the SS. 

Do you have any links to articles about ICE terrorizing legal immigrants? Not that I believe you, but I'd be interested to read them. 

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    I'm waiting for the images of ICE hauling people away in cattle cars to concentration camps, as well as ICE mowing them down in the streets, you know just because...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

Can you please share how ICE is anything like the SS?

Yes you were asked directly to address it. But there were a lot of posts. 

Im surprised you doubled down on your statement. I think it’s a completely ridiculous comparison. Not even the same ballpark.

hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    mrussel1 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

I understand, but that nuance is easily misinterpreted by reasonable people.  This is where we go wrong with overheated comparisons and language.  The fact that you elicited such response from even left leaning people is a risk.  ICE's actions are suspect enough where they don't have to be compared to the most evil military force of the 20th century.  My two cents...