Options

Alexandra Ocasio-Cortez

Comments

• Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    Kamala Harris is pleasant to listen to. So is Elizabeth Warren. No barking at all from those two. Why is everyone paying so much attention to Bernie when these two women are so much more appealing?
    Harris pissed me off a bit when she was questioning the ICE nominee guy and asked him if he was aware of the "perception" that there are similarities between ICE and the KKK. What a fucking cop-out. Sounds like SHE thinks that there are similarities between ICE and the KKK, and so she should say that. Don't hide behind "people are saying." That's right out Trump's playbook. 

Warren's alright I guess. As for Harris, other than this ICE thing, her Jussie Smollet "lynching" quote, and her claim to have been listening to Tupac and Snoop in college, despite their debut albums coming out after she graduated, she's not bad. Hey, she's for legalizing weed. That carries weight with me. But I don't think either will win the nomination.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,682
    edited February 2019
    mrussel1 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Kamala Harris is pleasant to listen to. So is Elizabeth Warren. No barking at all from those two. Why is everyone paying so much attention to Bernie when these two women are so much more appealing?
    Bernie raised line 10 million in a week.  Be hard not to notice. 
    I'm not suggesting nobody notice. He is a front runner. What I really meant to say is, why aren't people paying more attention to those two fantastic women, and all looking to Bernie? Do people think Bernie has a better shot at beating Trump than those two? If so, why? (I'm not anti-Bernie btw. But I like those two women better than him).
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,682
    edited February 2019
    PJ_Soul said:
    Harris pissed me off a bit when she was questioning the ICE nominee guy and asked him if he was aware of the "perception" that there are similarities between ICE and the KKK. What a fucking cop-out. Sounds like SHE thinks that there are similarities between ICE and the KKK, and so she should say that. Don't hide behind "people are saying." That's right out Trump's playbook. 

Warren's alright I guess. As for Harris, other than this ICE thing, her Jussie Smollet "lynching" quote, and her claim to have been listening to Tupac and Snoop in college, despite their debut albums coming out after she graduated, she's not bad. Hey, she's for legalizing weed. That carries weight with me. But I don't think either will win the nomination.
    Yeah, I actually see far more similarities between ICE and the SS myself. But I have no problems with how she phrased that question.

Warren is a really inspiring speaker, and truly enthusiastic. I think if she got a real shot (i.e. Bernie-like attention) she could actually manage to really energize people.
    Frankly, I feel like Americans just don't feel confident enough that a woman can win this one, in the sense that they don't want to take the chance of a female nominee, given the stakes.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    The thought of having to listen to Sanders bark at me for another year of my life really makes me want to tune out completely -- AND I'M ON HIS SIDE. If he can't convince me to listen to him, how do we expect a corn farmer in Kansas to do so? 

Same thing with Cortez. I'm so done with her petty snipes at critics and her cutesy self-serving videos that I think she's nothing more than a narcissistic, entitled snot -- AND I'M ON HER SIDE. If she can't convince me to listen to her, how do we expect a nice church lady in Wyoming to do so?

I guess when I say we need someone who can win, I mean we need someone very good at selling progressive ideas to people who haven't already bought them. You can't blame it all on the media. I consider myself a highly critical consumer of information, and even I can't stomach Cortez, Sanders, or Warren because of they way they talk at people. I'd vote for either old crotch if they win the nomination, but I wouldn't expect to win over my church lady farmer friends, that's for sure.
    I completely agree. Especially about Cortez. I know a few people around here have said (many times) that "old, white Republicans" are "afraid" of her. I think they fucking LOVE her because she has potential to hurt the democratic party in the long run. Here she is ripping long-tenured and respected Democratic Senator Dianne Feinstein: https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/aoc-rips-dianne-feinstein-after-her-confrontation-with-kids-over-green-new-deal

Be sure to scroll down to see AOC refer to herself as "the boss." Boss of what? She's not Springsteen. Boss of the Democratic party? Maybe in her eyes. I'm sure that'll sit well with her Democratic colleagues. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options
    what dreamswhat dreams Posts: 1,761
    So far, I haven't formed any opinions against Harris. I think she's smart. I'm still reading and deciding. It's a long way away before any votes have to be cast. Warren got lumped in with Sanders and Cortez in the posted article. I appreciate the work she's done for consumer protections. 
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

Yeah, I actually see far more similarities between ICE and the SS myself. But I have no problems with how she phrased that question.

Warren is a really inspiring speaker, and truly enthusiastic. I think if she got a real shot (i.e. Bernie-like attention) she could actually manage to really energize people.
    Frankly, I feel like Americans just don't feel confident enough that a woman can win this one, in the sense that they don't want to take the chance of a female nominee, given the stakes.
    Hey if you think American law-enforcement officers are tantamount to being Nazis, I guess Harris is your candidate. I personally don't mind the comparison (though I don't agree), I just think she should have owned it and not hid behind the "there's a perception" crap. Again, that's just like Trump saying "Lots of people are saying......."

And I think you're right that people aren't feeling confident in a woman right now. Hillary had a lot of baggage, but also a lot of resources. If she couldn't win, Harris, Warren, or Gillilbrand would have lot of trouble. 

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options
    RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,152
    Warren is dead in the water.  The fact that she lied about her heritage on applications to further her career for decades makes her a fraud.  It’ll be hard for her to get past that when the attacks on her get more serious.
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,137
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

Can you please share how ICE is anything like the SS?
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,152
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,720
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

The both wore uniforms.  Bam.  
  • Options
    The thought of having to listen to Sanders bark at me for another year of my life really makes me want to tune out completely -- AND I'M ON HIS SIDE. If he can't convince me to listen to him, how do we expect a corn farmer in Kansas to do so? 

Same thing with Cortez. I'm so done with her petty snipes at critics and her cutesy self-serving videos that I think she's nothing more than a narcissistic, entitled snot -- AND I'M ON HER SIDE. If she can't convince me to listen to her, how do we expect a nice church lady in Wyoming to do so?

I guess when I say we need someone who can win, I mean we need someone very good at selling progressive ideas to people who haven't already bought them. You can't blame it all on the media. I consider myself a highly critical consumer of information, and even I can't stomach Cortez, Sanders, or Warren because of they way they talk at people. I'd vote for either old crotch if they win the nomination, but I wouldn't expect to win over my church lady farmer friends, that's for sure.
    I completely agree. Especially about Cortez. I know a few people around here have said (many times) that "old, white Republicans" are "afraid" of her. I think they fucking LOVE her because she has potential to hurt the democratic party in the long run. Here she is ripping long-tenured and respected Democratic Senator Dianne Feinstein: https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/aoc-rips-dianne-feinstein-after-her-confrontation-with-kids-over-green-new-deal

Be sure to scroll down to see AOC refer to herself as "the boss." Boss of what? She's not Springsteen. Boss of the Democratic party? Maybe in her eyes. I'm sure that'll sit well with her Democratic colleagues. 
    In the context of her comments, she’s the boss of having proposed a plan to combat climate change and until someone else offers an alternative, rather than just pick hers apart, she’s the boss of the climate change issue because she’s driving the discussion about it. To her point, what has senator Feinstein offered up in her 30-40 years of “working on the issue?” Complain all you want about the details, that happens in any policy debate but you can’t deny that AOC is driving this discussion and it’s one that a majority of voters care about and want to see discussed.

I like the “non-binding” mention with Mitchy McConnell and his scheduled vote and the last paragraph about climate change and cold weather.

09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

And people dont think Trump can win again, and still wonder how he won

When people on my side of the political spectrum compare ICE workers to the SS and continue to demonize all law enforcement, it is frankly total bullshit, ridiculous, ignorant, and will turn people off and push them away 
  • Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    I just love when people drag up the Nazi, the SS ... etc.  What a fucking insult to every man or woman who suffered from the evils of the Nazi and SS, and to all peoples who defeated the Nazi's...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    my2hands said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

And people dont think Trump can win again, and still wonder how he won

When people on my side of the political spectrum compare ICE workers to the SS and continue to demonize all law enforcement, it is frankly total bullshit, ridiculous, ignorant, and will turn people off and push them away 
    Definitely 
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,962
    mrussel1 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

And that's where the similarities end.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

There was a white guy in charge.  That's two.  I can keep this up all day.  
  • Options

In the context of her comments, she’s the boss of having proposed a plan to combat climate change and until someone else offers an alternative, rather than just pick hers apart, she’s the boss of the climate change issue because she’s driving the discussion about it. To her point, what has senator Feinstein offered up in her 30-40 years of “working on the issue?” Complain all you want about the details, that happens in any policy debate but you can’t deny that AOC is driving this discussion and it’s one that a majority of voters care about and want to see discussed.

I like the “non-binding” mention with Mitchy McConnell and his scheduled vote and the last paragraph about climate change and cold weather.

She should check her boss privilege at the door.  
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

There was a white guy in charge.  That's two.  I can keep this up all day.  
    They both use weapons. There’s three. 
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    They both used their power to abuse kids?
  • Options
    dignin said:
    You should watch some old SS footage if you have not.  AHC has an entire series on the crimes of the SS.  The comparison is akin to comparing a jay-walker to a serial killer.  
  • Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    BTW, we better not fucking ban combustible engines.  I'm a car guy.  I'm all for green and efficient, but I want my classic in the garage and never want to let it go.  And don't get me started on self driving vehicles.  If I get driven everywhere, just fucking shoot me now.  
    Most of us will 6 feet under and self-driving vehicles will still be just a novelty.  I've been hearing about electric vehicles for 30 years and they are nowhere near mainstream...

I do not own a classic, but I love classic cars.  What do you have?
    Well it's not classic in the sense you're thinking of, but it is for me.  It was just easier to call a garage queen a classic.  It's a 2001 E46 M3 with only 40k on it, which is quite low.  It's the sweetest driving vehicle I've ever owned.  I only drive it a handful of times per year.  I had an E60 M5 with a V10, and while that was a beast, the M3 is a far superior driver's car.  I'll never part with it.  
    I was thinking about 50-60's muscle cars.  I had to look up your car.  Nice.  Looks like a real sweet ride.  My brother in law rebuilt a '71 Nova, he is not overly mechanically inclined, just loves older muscle cars.  I learned some things from his experience, if you do not have the means or the mechanical ability, do not take on these projects...it cost him a small fortune.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:

She should check her boss privilege at the door.  
    Why?
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    dignin said:
    Yes throwing babies up in the air to be used as target practice is the same thing as what ice does. 

• Options
    mrussel1 said:
    dignin said:
    You should watch some old SS footage if you have not.  AHC has an entire series on the crimes of the SS.  The comparison is akin to comparing a jay-walker to a serial killer.  
    Good comparison.  The two are not even remotely the same. 
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    dignin said:
    I'm very well aware of the crimes of the SS. And I don't think comparing ICE to SS is fair...yet. But given the right man in charge they could do a lot worse. If anyone thinks that organizations in the US aren't capable of such madness they are naive. A couple of years ago people would have called me crazy if I told them America purposefully separated innocent kids (babies) from their parents permanently and kept them in cages. All because they were following orders. Always have to be aware of what's going on and the potential for worse.
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    BTW, we better not fucking ban combustible engines.  I'm a car guy.  I'm all for green and efficient, but I want my classic in the garage and never want to let it go.  And don't get me started on self driving vehicles.  If I get driven everywhere, just fucking shoot me now.  
    Most of us will 6 feet under and self-driving vehicles will still be just a novelty.  I've been hearing about electric vehicles for 30 years and they are nowhere near mainstream...

I do not own a classic, but I love classic cars.  What do you have?
    Well it's not classic in the sense you're thinking of, but it is for me.  It was just easier to call a garage queen a classic.  It's a 2001 E46 M3 with only 40k on it, which is quite low.  It's the sweetest driving vehicle I've ever owned.  I only drive it a handful of times per year.  I had an E60 M5 with a V10, and while that was a beast, the M3 is a far superior driver's car.  I'll never part with it.  
    I was thinking about 50-60's muscle cars.  I had to look up your car.  Nice.  Looks like a real sweet ride.  My brother in law rebuilt a '71 Nova, he is not overly mechanically inclined, just loves older muscle cars.  I learned some things from his experience, if you do not have the means or the mechanical ability, do not take on these projects...it cost him a small fortune.
    I love real classics, particularly Fords, 69-72 Mustangs, anything with a 302 or 351.  They are beautiful but the dirty secret is they drive like shit.  Gorgeous though.  And yeah, buy one that's restored if you are inclined to have one.  Let someone else invest.  
    Sorry for the thread integrity everyone..
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dignin said:
    Not really, SS we're serial killers and ICE has been accused of some pretty heinous crimes not equal to jaywalking. So I don't think the analogy works well.
  • Options
    dignin said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dignin said:
    Not really, SS we're serial killers and ICE has been accused of some pretty heinous crimes not equal to jaywalking. So I don't think the analogy works well.
    Waffen SS were systematic purveyors or genocide.  They came in behind the army and eliminated the citizenry.  This was not only sanctioned, it was required.  It was literally in the job duties.  I don't see how you can possibly make that comparison unless you have some knowledge no one else has.  
  • Options
    ...of genocide....
  • Options
    PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    If we give her a participation trophy, will she go away?