Options

Alexandra Ocasio-Cortez

Comments

• Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,448
    mcgruff10 said:
    What “terror inducing” tactics does ice use that parallel to the ss?
    and yes kids were taken from their parents but were eventually given back and not shot on the spot, worked to death or put in gas chambers.  

c’mom, mcgruff. maybe not SS but not “american” in any way.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,514
    PJ_Soul said:
    And correct me if I'm wrong, but haven't you been repeatedly asked by the mods to discuss the topic at hand and not the posters?
    You asked me to explain my comment of why it’s not worth it. I did. Now you are complaining about me answering your question...in fact the same way you already answered the question yourself? Seriously? 
    I was talking to my2hands.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,086
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    And correct me if I'm wrong, but haven't you been repeatedly asked by the mods to discuss the topic at hand and not the posters?
    You asked me to explain my comment of why it’s not worth it. I did. Now you are complaining about me answering your question...in fact the same way you already answered the question yourself? Seriously? 
    I apologize then. Sorry I thought you meant me.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    That's okay - I think your post got between his and mine. :)
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Kinky.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,937
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mrussel1 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Kamala Harris is pleasant to listen to. So is Elizabeth Warren. No barking at all from those two. Why is everyone paying so much attention to Bernie when these two women are so much more appealing?
    Harris pissed me off a bit when she was questioning the ICE nominee guy and asked him if he was aware of the "perception" that there are similarities between ICE and the KKK. What a fucking cop-out. Sounds like SHE thinks that there are similarities between ICE and the KKK, and so she should say that. Don't hide behind "people are saying." That's right out Trump's playbook. 

Warren's alright I guess. As for Harris, other than this ICE thing, her Jussie Smollet "lynching" quote, and her claim to have been listening to Tupac and Snoop in college, despite their debut albums coming out after she graduated, she's not bad. Hey, she's for legalizing weed. That carries weight with me. But I don't think either will win the nomination.
    Yeah, I actually see far more similarities between ICE and the SS myself. But I have no problems with how she phrased that question.

Warren is a really inspiring speaker, and truly enthusiastic. I think if she got a real shot (i.e. Bernie-like attention) she could actually manage to really energize people.
    Frankly, I feel like Americans just don't feel confident enough that a woman can win this one, in the sense that they don't want to take the chance of a female nominee, given the stakes.
    Hey if you think American law-enforcement officers are tantamount to being Nazis, I guess Harris is your candidate. I personally don't mind the comparison (though I don't agree), I just think she should have owned it and not hid behind the "there's a perception" crap. Again, that's just like Trump saying "Lots of people are saying......."

And I think you're right that people aren't feeling confident in a woman right now. Hillary had a lot of baggage, but also a lot of resources. If she couldn't win, Harris, Warren, or Gillilbrand would have lot of trouble. 
    Well nobody is my candidate (and please don't twist my words that way. Thank you). I can't vote for any of them. But that is a real perception held by many. She wasn't lying. Her saying that doesn't exclude her from thinking that at all. I really think you're making a mountain out of mole hill on that one.
    Yes, you sure did summarize the rampant sexism being exposed by this campaign run-up well. Those who deny that is a major factor (among others) are lying to themselves.
    Seriously? This is your response? You're not going to address your ridiculous comparison of ICE to the SS? I'm sure you saw the responses to it on the previous page of this thread. Oh well. I guess I'd distance myself from a statement like that too. 
    You didn't ask me to address my comment about the similarities between ICE and the SS (and no, I didn't see any responses to it on the previous page). I have absolutely no need to distance myself from that comment. I point out such similarities without shame, and with confidence. ICE has been raiding minority communities and terrorizing people in their homes and rounding them up. Anyone who doesn't see similarities between that and how the SS used to round up Jews and take them from their homes is in denial.
    But those Jewish, Slavs, and Roma were systemically eliminated.  And the Nazis did it to German citizens and the citizens of the countries where they invaded, not illegal immigrants.  There is an enormous chasm between the two.  
    I didn't suggest that ICE then murdered them all. Again, I don't want to have to spell out the nuances of parallels, and how they are different from saying two things are exactly the same. I know for a fact you are easily smart enough to understand that. But FWIW, ICE has indiscriminately busted into homes where no illegal immigrants live in their community raids, and terrorized legal immigrants as well.
    But even the parallels aren't as strong as say Trump and Hitler. Nobody that makes that comparison thinks Trump wants a mass genocide. They think he's a demagogue that's is stroking the flames of racism. But I think there aren't enough parallels to compare ICE to the SS. 

Do you have any links to articles about ICE terrorizing legal immigrants? Not that I believe you, but I'd be interested to read them. 
    Here are some articles that might make the parallel I draw more clear to you:

Definitely some interesting stuff. Certainly 1,000 incorrect arrests over the past few years is alarming. You can say they're incompetent for that. Lying to get into houses without search-warrants? Pretty unlawful. But it's still quite a leap to draw parallels to the SS. Despite it's shortcomings, ICE was created with the intent of homeland security and to bring illegals to justice. The SS...well we know what that was created for.

Look I get what you're trying to say and I do understand the difference between drawing parallels and suggesting two things are the same. But I think this sort of hyperbole and rhetoric just goes too far. Not "too far" as in I'm offended by it. I could care less. But I think voters are turned off by that sort of left-wing hysteric talk: ICE are like Nazis, the police are racist against blacks, white men are evil, etc. 
    Agreed. I feel the statement is inevitably bound to be perceived as incorrect, extreme, politically charged and divisive rhetoric. Like you, I don't care from a 'too far' perspective, I just care because we don't need to widen the chasm between political sides any more, and I wonder how much more the social fabric of the country can take before the fired up extremes have at it.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    I understand what you both are saying... but I can't say I am in the business of closing that divide. I see the parallels clearly and am saying so. And there is another side that I am more interested in: if people ignore such parallels because they feel objectionable, the very real actions/tactics I am talking about will just continue and slowly escalate and slowly sink into the social fabric more and more, and go pretty much unchecked... just like they did in Germany. I think that is what's happening right now. I am of the mind that these radical and dangerous fascist tactics must be acknowledged and confronted head on, rather than trying to minimize them for the sake of making people feel better about what I view as a very dangerous slide towards some form of fascism.
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    https://www.history.com/topics/world-war-ii/ss

Not. Even. Remotely. Close.

Your opinion is wrong. It is ok to be wrong. I am wrong all of the time. It's fun, you shoukd try it.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    I understand what you both are saying... but I can't say I am in the business of closing that divide. I see the parallels clearly and am saying so. And there is another side that I am more interested in: if people ignore such parallels because they feel objectionable, the very real actions/tactics I am talking about will just continue and slowly escalate and slowly sink into the social fabric more and more, and go pretty much unchecked... just like they did in Germany. I think that is what's happening right now. I am of the mind that these radical and dangerous fascist tactics must be acknowledged and confronted head on, rather than trying to minimize them for the sake of making people feel better about what I view as a very dangerous slide towards some form of fascism.
    And all I'm saying is I fear a head-on tactic, when it comes from a D mindset to an R or vice-versa, will be ignored. I think your approach neglects the level of division and attachment to our established viewpoints we've reached. Of course, it's your right to continue to discuss and act on this problem the way you see fit. For what it's worth, I really respect where you're coming from on this, I just don't think it's going to be productive. I hope I'm proven wrong :)
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    my2hands said:

Your opinion is wrong. It is ok to be wrong. I am wrong all of the time. It's fun, you shoukd try it.
    And I believe you are wrong. Fucking drop it. I have no problem being wrong when I think I'm wrong. I do not believe I am wrong in this case and have provided plenty of content to explain why I feel the way I do. You don't have to agree with me, but enough with this ridiculous "it's okay to be wrong" shit.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    benjs said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    And all I'm saying is I fear a head-on tactic, when it comes from a D mindset to an R or vice-versa, will be ignored. I think your approach neglects the level of division and attachment to our established viewpoints we've reached. Of course, it's your right to continue to discuss and act on this problem the way you see fit. For what it's worth, I really respect where you're coming from on this, I just don't think it's going to be productive. I hope I'm proven wrong :)
    I respect your perspective too.
    I do fully acknowledge the division, and it's horrifying. Perhaps the difference here is that I actually don't think this division can be bridged at all. Not in the immediate sense. And I think waiting for that impossible bridge to be built will actually end up allowing that slide I mentioned. I think the time had come for radical opposition to what is going on with the US government and Trump's fascist tactics. Because, distressingly, his tactics are working. I am calling a spade a spade. The line is that we need to look to the history of the rise of the Nazis as a learning tool. To never commit the same mistakes again. I feel that those mistakes are starting to be committed again, and people seem unwilling to acknowledge it. For me, that means it's time to stop mincing around the details I've mentioned and call them what they are: political tactics historically and consistently used by rising fascist governments. 
    .... I could switch out the rise of the Nazis for Orwell's 1984. Would that make people feel better? ;) It wouldn't make me feel better.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,086
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

And I was in the middle of watching an important college b-ball game! 
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,822
    PJ_Soul said:
    benjs said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    I do fully acknowledge the division, and it's horrifying. Perhaps the difference here is that I actually don't think this division can be bridged at all. Not in the immediate sense. And I think waiting for that impossible bridge to be built will actually end up allowing that slide I mentioned. I think the time had come for radical opposition to what is going on with the US government and Trump's fascist tactics. Because, distressingly, his tactics are working. I am calling a spade a spade. The line is that we need to look to the history of the rise of the Nazis as a learning tool. To never commit the same mistakes again. I feel that those mistakes are starting to be committed again, and people seem unwilling to acknowledge it. For me, that means it's time to stop mincing around the details I've mentioned and call them what they are: political tactics historically and consistently used by rising fascist governments. 
    .... I could switch out the rise of the Nazis for Orwell's 1984. Would that make people feel better? ;) It wouldn't make me feel better.
    Regarding “division”, I was listening to CBC today (kind of like NPR) and one guest being interviewed said something to the effect that political opinions in the US are “polarized to an extent that hasn’t been seen since the civil war”. I don’t know if others agree with that assessment, but it was striking to me. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    ^^^For sure.  Just look at the Cohen Hearing vs. Wilson Raybould in Ottawa.  I only watched a bit of the Cohen testimony, but some of those US politicians looked like they were going to have strokes, and in Canada pretty much everyone treated Raybould with tremendous respect and really wanted to hear what she had to say, ever her own party.  In the US, any Republicans in the room did not want to hear what he had to say...just garbage US politics are...and both parties are guilty of it, the Republicans are worse, though.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    benjs said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Regarding “division”, I was listening to CBC today (kind of like NPR) and one guest being interviewed said something to the effect that political opinions in the US are “polarized to an extent that hasn’t been seen since the civil war”. I don’t know if others agree with that assessment, but it was striking to me. 
    I definitely agree with that, and it scares me.
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    PJ_Soul said:
    my2hands said:

And I believe you are wrong. Fucking drop it. I have no problem being wrong when I think I'm wrong. I do not believe I am wrong in this case and have provided plenty of content to explain why I feel the way I do. You don't have to agree with me, but enough with this ridiculous "it's okay to be wrong" shit.
    Can't disagree without getting angry and cursing at me?

I'm not going to drop it... you're comparing an American law enforcement agency with a Nazi death squad that had a radically different history and agenda and helped systematically murder millions of people... frankly you're completely disrespecting the millions of victims of the Nazi's and the SS by trying to equate the two... it's naive, disrespectful, and flat out incorrect

Did you read that brief history of the SS? How in anyway does that sound similar to ICE?

I'm sorry but your "parallels" are bogus and not even close

The creation, the history, the purpose, the methods and tactics used, the leadership, the countries and their situations.... are not even close... and to dig in and lash out to defend that position?

You're entitled to you're own opinion, but not your own facts

• Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    benjs said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    I just don't see the gap as long-term tenable, and if I thought the divide couldn't be bridged, I'd honestly just stop trying (on any political reform). Now, to be fair, I'm very close to giving up on that notion being realistic, I just still don't see a way forward without removing this critical barrier to progress.

EV
  • Options
    In case you missed it.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWx0ESjxO54

She asked good questions.
  • Options
    rustneversleepsrustneversleeps The Motel of Lost Companions Posts: 2,209
    I'M RIGHT!
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    benjs said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    I wasn't alive during the civil war. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    I'M RIGHT!
    No I’m right and if you disagree, you are in denial!
  • Options
    In case you missed it.

She did, surprisingly enough
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,623
    PJPOWER said:
    In case you missed it.

Cult of personality.  Don't we expect that?
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,822
    dankind said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    benjs said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    I wasn't alive during the civil war. 

Right. I guess we should ask Wobbie, then. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    mrussel1 said:
    PJPOWER said:
    In case you missed it.

Cult of personality.  Don't we expect that?
    I expected grandstanding, +1 in my book for Cortez for not, though.  I still think she has a LOT to learn and is pretty naive and impulsive in areas such as economics and long term strategic planning, but her heart is in the right place.  She wants to better the country, just has no clue how to.
    Post edited by PJPOWER on
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,993
    I realize I'm jumping into this late, but I agree that the comparison between ICE and SS is ridiculous. I have to roll my eyes every time someone brings it up.
    I won't disagree that there are parallels, but you can find parallels with anything. You can find parallels with the Nazi party and the left (or the right), but it doesn't make it a good comparison. 
    You have to ignore that the SS and the Nazi party was one of the worst, most hateful and destructive organizations in the history of the planet, or pretend that ICE murders by the millions, in order to make a fair comparison. It is like comparing a Taco Bell to the World Trade Towers, and saying they have things in common, like walls, ceilings, and a floor. People go there (or did) to work and eat. SO can't you see all the parallels between this Taco Bell and the WTT? You have to ignore the core of each building to accept that they are anything alike. 
    Yes, ICE rounds people up but that is a negligible fraction by comparison and for legal reasons, not racial. A few have died in their custody (not murdered, at best died from lack of medical attention). But that is in no way any comparison to SS. And yes, I did read the articles posted.
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    mace1229 said:
    I realize I'm jumping into this late, but I agree that the comparison between ICE and SS is ridiculous. I have to roll my eyes every time someone brings it up.
    I won't disagree that there are parallels, but you can find parallels with anything. You can find parallels with the Nazi party and the left (or the right), but it doesn't make it a good comparison. 
    You have to ignore that the SS and the Nazi party was one of the worst, most hateful and destructive organizations in the history of the planet, or pretend that ICE murders by the millions, in order to make a fair comparison. It is like comparing a Taco Bell to the World Trade Towers, and saying they have things in common, like walls, ceilings, and a floor. People go there (or did) to work and eat. SO can't you see all the parallels between this Taco Bell and the WTT? You have to ignore the core of each building to accept that they are anything alike. 
    Yes, ICE rounds people up but that is a negligible fraction by comparison and for legal reasons, not racial. A few have died in their custody (not murdered, at best died from lack of medical attention). But that is in no way any comparison to SS. And yes, I did read the articles posted.
    How many times does she have to say she doesn't think they are the same before some of you guys get it?
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,623
    I don't blame Mace for putting in his/her 2 cents.  But I do agree it's time to let this one go.  
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    mrussel1 said:
    I don't blame Mace for putting in his/her 2 cents.  But I do agree it's time to let this one go.  
    I agree. Everyone is just talking past each other at this point.
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,993
    edited February 2019
    Sorry, I was about 2 pages behind on this thread and just responded to where I was before realizing we all moved on.
    I also didn't claim she said they were the same. I get that she didn't. 
    Post edited by mace1229 on