Options

Alexandra Ocasio-Cortez

Comments

• Options
    Does anyone remember the NRA's comparisons? Probably not. AOC is not the first and likely, not the last.

LaPierre's use of the phrase “jack-booted government thugs” was his metaphorical way of equating BATF officials with Nazis. During the early part of World War II, before leather shortages developed, German soldiers wore distinctive military “jack boots.”Apr 13, 2016
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,566
    PJ_Soul said:
    mrussel1 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Kamala Harris is pleasant to listen to. So is Elizabeth Warren. No barking at all from those two. Why is everyone paying so much attention to Bernie when these two women are so much more appealing?
    Harris pissed me off a bit when she was questioning the ICE nominee guy and asked him if he was aware of the "perception" that there are similarities between ICE and the KKK. What a fucking cop-out. Sounds like SHE thinks that there are similarities between ICE and the KKK, and so she should say that. Don't hide behind "people are saying." That's right out Trump's playbook. 

Warren's alright I guess. As for Harris, other than this ICE thing, her Jussie Smollet "lynching" quote, and her claim to have been listening to Tupac and Snoop in college, despite their debut albums coming out after she graduated, she's not bad. Hey, she's for legalizing weed. That carries weight with me. But I don't think either will win the nomination.
    Yeah, I actually see far more similarities between ICE and the SS myself. But I have no problems with how she phrased that question.

Warren is a really inspiring speaker, and truly enthusiastic. I think if she got a real shot (i.e. Bernie-like attention) she could actually manage to really energize people.
    Frankly, I feel like Americans just don't feel confident enough that a woman can win this one, in the sense that they don't want to take the chance of a female nominee, given the stakes.
    Hey if you think American law-enforcement officers are tantamount to being Nazis, I guess Harris is your candidate. I personally don't mind the comparison (though I don't agree), I just think she should have owned it and not hid behind the "there's a perception" crap. Again, that's just like Trump saying "Lots of people are saying......."

And I think you're right that people aren't feeling confident in a woman right now. Hillary had a lot of baggage, but also a lot of resources. If she couldn't win, Harris, Warren, or Gillilbrand would have lot of trouble. 
    Well nobody is my candidate (and please don't twist my words that way. Thank you). I can't vote for any of them. But that is a real perception held by many. She wasn't lying. Her saying that doesn't exclude her from thinking that at all. I really think you're making a mountain out of mole hill on that one.
    Yes, you sure did summarize the rampant sexism being exposed by this campaign run-up well. Those who deny that is a major factor (among others) are lying to themselves.
    Seriously? This is your response? You're not going to address your ridiculous comparison of ICE to the SS? I'm sure you saw the responses to it on the previous page of this thread. Oh well. I guess I'd distance myself from a statement like that too. 
    You didn't ask me to address my comment about the similarities between ICE and the SS (and no, I didn't see any responses to it on the previous page). I have absolutely no need to distance myself from that comment. I point out such similarities without shame, and with confidence. ICE has been raiding minority communities and terrorizing people in their homes and rounding them up. Anyone who doesn't see similarities between that and how the SS used to round up Jews and take them from their homes is in denial.
    But those Jewish, Slavs, and Roma were systemically eliminated.  And the Nazis did it to German citizens and the citizens of the countries where they invaded, not illegal immigrants.  There is an enormous chasm between the two.  
    I didn't suggest that ICE then murdered them all. Again, I don't want to have to spell out the nuances of parallels, and how they are different from saying two things are exactly the same. I know for a fact you are easily smart enough to understand that. But FWIW, ICE has indiscriminately busted into homes where no illegal immigrants live in their community raids, and terrorized legal immigrants as well.
    But even the parallels aren't as strong as say Trump and Hitler. Nobody that makes that comparison thinks Trump wants a mass genocide. They think he's a demagogue that's is stroking the flames of racism. But I think there aren't enough parallels to compare ICE to the SS. 

Do you have any links to articles about ICE terrorizing legal immigrants? Not that I believe you, but I'd be interested to read them. 
    Here are some articles that might make the parallel I draw more clear to you:

With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    edited February 2019
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Kamala Harris is pleasant to listen to. So is Elizabeth Warren. No barking at all from those two. Why is everyone paying so much attention to Bernie when these two women are so much more appealing?
    Harris pissed me off a bit when she was questioning the ICE nominee guy and asked him if he was aware of the "perception" that there are similarities between ICE and the KKK. What a fucking cop-out. Sounds like SHE thinks that there are similarities between ICE and the KKK, and so she should say that. Don't hide behind "people are saying." That's right out Trump's playbook. 

Warren's alright I guess. As for Harris, other than this ICE thing, her Jussie Smollet "lynching" quote, and her claim to have been listening to Tupac and Snoop in college, despite their debut albums coming out after she graduated, she's not bad. Hey, she's for legalizing weed. That carries weight with me. But I don't think either will win the nomination.
    Yeah, I actually see far more similarities between ICE and the SS myself. But I have no problems with how she phrased that question.

Warren is a really inspiring speaker, and truly enthusiastic. I think if she got a real shot (i.e. Bernie-like attention) she could actually manage to really energize people.
    Frankly, I feel like Americans just don't feel confident enough that a woman can win this one, in the sense that they don't want to take the chance of a female nominee, given the stakes.
    Hey if you think American law-enforcement officers are tantamount to being Nazis, I guess Harris is your candidate. I personally don't mind the comparison (though I don't agree), I just think she should have owned it and not hid behind the "there's a perception" crap. Again, that's just like Trump saying "Lots of people are saying......."

And I think you're right that people aren't feeling confident in a woman right now. Hillary had a lot of baggage, but also a lot of resources. If she couldn't win, Harris, Warren, or Gillilbrand would have lot of trouble. 
    Well nobody is my candidate (and please don't twist my words that way. Thank you). I can't vote for any of them. But that is a real perception held by many. She wasn't lying. Her saying that doesn't exclude her from thinking that at all. I really think you're making a mountain out of mole hill on that one.
    Yes, you sure did summarize the rampant sexism being exposed by this campaign run-up well. Those who deny that is a major factor (among others) are lying to themselves.
    Seriously? This is your response? You're not going to address your ridiculous comparison of ICE to the SS? I'm sure you saw the responses to it on the previous page of this thread. Oh well. I guess I'd distance myself from a statement like that too. 
    You didn't ask me to address my comment about the similarities between ICE and the SS (and no, I didn't see any responses to it on the previous page). I have absolutely no need to distance myself from that comment. I point out such similarities without shame, and with confidence. ICE has been raiding minority communities and terrorizing people in their homes and work places, with military grade weapons, and rounding them up and hauling them away. Anyone who doesn't see similarities between that and how the SS used to round up Jews and take them from their homes is in denial. And I will not engage in yet another stupid debate about the nuances of parallels that some people refuse to get.
    That’s about the most absurd thing I’ve read today.  I guess Cohen isn’t the only one losing credibility today.
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    PJPOWER said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

You didn't ask me to address my comment about the similarities between ICE and the SS (and no, I didn't see any responses to it on the previous page). I have absolutely no need to distance myself from that comment. I point out such similarities without shame, and with confidence. ICE has been raiding minority communities and terrorizing people in their homes and work places, with military grade weapons, and rounding them up and hauling them away. Anyone who doesn't see similarities between that and how the SS used to round up Jews and take them from their homes is in denial. And I will not engage in yet another stupid debate about the nuances of parallels that some people refuse to get.
    That’s about the most absurd thing I’ve read today.  I guess Cohen isn’t the only one losing credibility today.
    Read the articles I posted. If anyone can read all those and still completely reject my decision to draw such parallels, then yeah, they're in total denial.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

Read the articles I posted. If anyone can read all those and still completely reject my decision to draw such parallels, then yeah, they're in total denial.
    What a fallacious conclusion to draw from the fact that almost everyone else disagrees with your assertion!
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    PJPOWER said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

What a fallacious conclusion to draw from the fact that almost everyone else disagrees on this assertion!
    Not almost everyone disagrees, lol, this isn't a very uncommon idea. But I couldn't care less if anyone agrees with me or not. I am completely secure in my comparison. Same with the parallels I draw between Trump's presidency and his tactics and those employed by Hitler and friends during the rise of the Nazi party. 100% secure. I get that you don't agree.... and I believe that you are in denial for not agreeing. And I know you disagree with that too, lol. I am okay with that!
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,900
    Correct me if I am wrong but one of the biggest differences between the two is the SS rounded up and killed citizens that did nothing wrong but ICE is rounding up and deporting illegal citizens.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mrussel1 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

You didn't ask me to address my comment about the similarities between ICE and the SS (and no, I didn't see any responses to it on the previous page). I have absolutely no need to distance myself from that comment. I point out such similarities without shame, and with confidence. ICE has been raiding minority communities and terrorizing people in their homes and rounding them up. Anyone who doesn't see similarities between that and how the SS used to round up Jews and take them from their homes is in denial.
    But those Jewish, Slavs, and Roma were systemically eliminated.  And the Nazis did it to German citizens and the citizens of the countries where they invaded, not illegal immigrants.  There is an enormous chasm between the two.  
    I didn't suggest that ICE then murdered them all. Again, I don't want to have to spell out the nuances of parallels, and how they are different from saying two things are exactly the same. I know for a fact you are easily smart enough to understand that. But FWIW, ICE has indiscriminately busted into homes where no illegal immigrants live in their community raids, and terrorized legal immigrants as well.
    But even the parallels aren't as strong as say Trump and Hitler. Nobody that makes that comparison thinks Trump wants a mass genocide. They think he's a demagogue that's is stroking the flames of racism. But I think there aren't enough parallels to compare ICE to the SS. 

Do you have any links to articles about ICE terrorizing legal immigrants? Not that I believe you, but I'd be interested to read them. 
    Here are some articles that might make the parallel I draw more clear to you:

Definitely some interesting stuff. Certainly 1,000 incorrect arrests over the past few years is alarming. You can say they're incompetent for that. Lying to get into houses without search-warrants? Pretty unlawful. But it's still quite a leap to draw parallels to the SS. Despite it's shortcomings, ICE was created with the intent of homeland security and to bring illegals to justice. The SS...well we know what that was created for.

Look I get what you're trying to say and I do understand the difference between drawing parallels and suggesting two things are the same. But I think this sort of hyperbole and rhetoric just goes too far. Not "too far" as in I'm offended by it. I could care less. But I think voters are turned off by that sort of left-wing hysteric talk: ICE are like Nazis, the police are racist against blacks, white men are evil, etc. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

What a fallacious conclusion to draw from the fact that almost everyone else disagrees on this assertion!
    Not almost everyone disagrees, lol, this isn't a very uncommon idea. But I couldn't care less if anyone agrees with me or not. I am completely secure in my comparison. Same with the parallels I draw between Trump's presidency and his tactics and those employed by Hitler and friends during the rise of the Nazi party. 100% secure. I get that you don't agree.... and I believe that you are in denial for not agreeing. And I know you disagree with that too, lol. I am okay with that!
    And I believe you are in denial for sticking to your assertions after the discussion that your comment incited, so I guess we are even.  I’m okay with that, lol
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    mcgruff10 said:
    Correct me if I am wrong but one of the biggest differences between the two is the SS rounded up and killed citizens that did nothing wrong but ICE is rounding up and deporting illegal citizens.
    We've already been through this. Read the articles I posted.
    And I never said there aren't differences between ICE and the SS, obviously. I actually said the exact opposite of that, over and over.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • Options
    Read the articles and I am obviously still in denial, lol 
  • Options
    PJPOWER said:
    No surprise there, lol.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJPOWER said:
    No surprise there, lol.
    Hyuk hyuk
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,119
    It’s really not worth arguing this. Never going to get anywhere.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    It’s really not worth arguing this. Never going to get anywhere.
    I agree, should really just ignore that the stupidity ever presented itself in the first place.
  • Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    mcgruff10 said:
    Unless you consider just existing a crime, that's what the SS did.

Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    I didn't think we were arguing. I thought this was just a conversation. And if by "never going to get anywhere" means we're not going to change each other's minds, no, that's true. Is that what you people are always trying to do???? That's not what I'm always trying to do.
    It's not stupidity. I don't know why you would label it as such. It's something you don't agree with (are in denial about, or are willfully refusing to understand where I'm coming from), but it's not at all stupid, and many, MANY people see the parallels that I do. And I think they are actually undeniable when you think about it objectively. IMO.
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,246
    Let's get back on track here. How about we choose AOC's walk out theme. I think this suites her well.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-XnPXL_HMA
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    I didn't think we were arguing. I thought this was just a conversation. And if by "never going to get anywhere" means we're not going to change each other's minds, no, that's true. Is that what you people are always trying to do???? That's not what I'm always trying to do.
    It's not stupidity. I don't know why you would label it as such. It's something you don't agree with (are in denial about, or are willfully refusing to understand where I'm coming from), but it's not at all stupid, and many, MANY people see the parallels that I do. And I think they are actually undeniable when you think about it objectively. IMO.
    Well, ICE was utilized to a great deal under Obama (even more so than Trump) so does that equate Obama to Hitler? 
    No!  Because they are not even close to the same thing!  ICE is not devout to a specific political party, nor are they purposely arresting and exterminating a minority class  in some endgame goal of creating a master race.  What a joke...yes, it is stupid to equate the two in my opinion.  You are not thinking of it objectively, you are pushing the rhetoric narcissistically!
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,654
    PJ_Soul said:
    Agreed, it's neither an argument or stupidity.  It's a conversation.  
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    Some folks just stick to their guns and never admit they are wrong or maybe even just overstated something 

Its hilarious 
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    PJ_Soul said:
    Now this is where you tag a mod and claim harassment.

I'm just joking, I know you can handle having unpopular opinions. And I agree this is just a conversation, no reason for anyone to get bent out of shape.

• Options
    edited February 2019
    my2hands said:
    Some folks just stick to their guns and never admit they are wrong or maybe even just overstated something 

Its hilarious 
    Why are you saying this now? Did someone do that recently? I know I didn't. This is a strongly held belief of mine and I haven't overstated a thing - not even a little bit - and I'm not wrong. How can you suggest that something I strongly believe is wrong, and that I should "admit" it's wrong???? I believe it to be true, not wrong. And I believe it to be demonstrably true. Wtf? And here you come, with your personal insults and digs again. It's like you can't control yourself.
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    PJPOWER said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Well, ICE was utilized to a great deal under Obama (even more so than Trump) so does that equate Obama to Hitler? 
    No!  Because they are not even close to the same thing!  ICE is not devout to a specific political party, nor are they purposely arresting and exterminating a minority class  in some endgame goal of creating a master race.  What a joke...yes, it is stupid to equate the two in my opinion.  You are not thinking of it objectively, you are pushing the rhetoric narcissistically!
    Narcissistically? No. That makes no sense. You have no reason to say that.
    I don't equate anything. I draw parallels. And I don't think the parallels between Trump and Hitler exist just because of what ICE does. If that were all it were, I'd say there are some parallels between ICE and the SS, but not between Trump and friends and the growth of the Third Reich (I do not support Obama in that either btw, and did not support a few things Obama did, but ICE is indeed using different, more sinister tactics now under Trump). But there are MANY parallels that can be drawn between Trump and his inner circle and the Nazi party through the 30s. All kinds of tactics are shared. Especially all the trickster propaganda against the free press, and the anti-immigrant rhetoric that stirs up all the racism among his supporters and stirring up fear of the "other", and all the bald-faced lying and denial of facts and replacement of facts with completely untrue "alternate facts", and all the cozying up with fascist dictators, all the rallies when Trump isn't campaigning (where he incites violence against the free press), and all the kidnapping children and putting them in cages largely indiscriminately and not even keeping track of them, and all the general fucking craziness and extreme eccentricity of the man himself. PLUS the big influx of terror-inducing tactics being used by ICE. All of these things... Yes, many parallels to Hitler and the rise of his regime.
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    PJ_Soul said:
    my2hands said:

Its hilarious 
    Why are you saying this now? Did someone do that recently? I know I didn't. This is a strongly held belief of mine and I haven't overstated a thing - not even a little bit - and I'm not wrong. How can you suggest that something I strongly believe is wrong, and that I should "admit" it's wrong???? I believe it to be true, not wrong. And I believe it to be demonstrably true. Wtf? And here you come, with your personal insults and digs again. It's like you can't control yourself.
    Who so angry and defensive? Funny you assumed it was you i was talking about and got so defensive 

Comparing ICE to the SS is ridiculous and laughable frankly... total nonsense...  nobody will think less of you if you concede a point occasionally or admit you MAYBE overstated it...

Where did i personally insult you or anyone else? 
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    Many many people! The mostest people ever! Hmmmm I’ve heard stuff like that before!!! ;) Sorry couldn’t help it, as I read it I heard trump’s voice saying it.

And it’s not worth it cause you will never say what you wrote wasn’t right or that perhaps you are making a silly comparison. It’ll never happen. So not worth discussing 
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    my2hands said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    my2hands said:

Its hilarious 
    Who so angry and defensive? Funny you assumed it was you i was talking about and got so defensive 

Comparing ICE to the SS is ridiculous and laughable frankly... total nonsense...  nobody will think less of you if you concede a point occasionally or admit you MAYBE overstated it...

Where did i personally insult you or anyone else? 
    You must think I am very very stupid.
    Why in the hell would I concede when I have NOTHING to concede? I did NOT overstate it. I said EXACTLY what I think. 
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    Many many people! The mostest people ever! Hmmmm I’ve heard stuff like that before!!! ;) Sorry couldn’t help it, as I read it I heard trump’s voice saying it.

And it’s not worth it cause you will never say what you wrote wasn’t right or that perhaps you are making a silly comparison. It’ll never happen. So not worth discussing 
    No, you're right. I will never lie and say I don't think something I actually do think. That is not in my nature at all. I stand by my convictions and don't let people bully or berate them out of me.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

No, you're right. I will never lie and say I don't think something I actually do think. That is not in my nature at all. I stand by my convictions and don't let people bully or berate them out of me.
    Not doing either of that. Just realizing you aren’t going to change your opinion despite the counters presented here. So it’s not worth it. Why it that bullying?
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

Not doing either of that. Just realizing you aren’t going to change your opinion despite the counters presented here. So it’s not worth it. Why it that bullying?
    Why would I change my opinion on this? I'm not a total flake. And I have seen no "counters" that even came remotely close to, well, anything. All anyone has said is that my opinion is stupid nonsense and that I won't say what I believe is wrong. Not exactly a breathtaking counterargument, lol. Nobody can even say why they don't think it parallels the Nazis. I listed why I think there are parallels and nobody has debated that.
    But I don't know why you say "it's not worth it." What isn't? This is a board where we discuss things, debate things, express our opinions... if this isn't worth it, is anything here worth it?? Or is your sole aim here to change people's opinions? Like I said, that isn't my goal here. Mine is simply discourse.