Alexandra Ocasio-Cortez

Comments

• Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    PJ_Soul said:
    my2hands said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    my2hands said:
    Some folks just stick to their guns and never admit they are wrong or maybe even just overstated something 

Its hilarious 
    Why are you saying this now? Did someone do that recently? I know I didn't. This is a strongly held belief of mine and I haven't overstated a thing - not even a little bit - and I'm not wrong. How can you suggest that something I strongly believe is wrong, and that I should "admit" it's wrong???? I believe it to be true, not wrong. And I believe it to be demonstrably true. Wtf? And here you come, with your personal insults and digs again. It's like you can't control yourself.
    Who so angry and defensive? Funny you assumed it was you i was talking about and got so defensive 

Comparing ICE to the SS is ridiculous and laughable frankly... total nonsense...  nobody will think less of you if you concede a point occasionally or admit you MAYBE overstated it...

Where did i personally insult you or anyone else? 
    You must think I am very very stupid.
    Why in the hell would I concede when I have NOTHING to concede? I did NOT overstate it. I said EXACTLY what I think. 
    I do not think you are stupid
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    AOC was quite impressive in her questioning of Cohen today.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,566
    edited February 2019
    Honestly, with the way some of these congressmen conduct these hearing now, where they are turning red in the face and just yelling and lecturing and being 100% ridiculously partisan, anyone with half a brain that's in proper working order can seem quite impressive by comparison. I can't fucking believe how these congress hearings go since Trump came along. It's like the Republican congressmen (I guess some women too) have absolutely gone crackers. Pun intended.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    dignin said:
    Agreed. Going to have to see who’s on her staff. She was well prepared and may have lain the ground work for the committee to request Team Trump Treason’s tax returns. Her committee assignment and being given the questions to ask that she did, speaks volumes.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    Honestly, with the way some of these congressmen conduct these hearing now, where they are turning red in the face and just yelling and lecturing and being 100% ridiculously partisan, anyone with half a brain that's in proper working order can seem quite impressive by comparison. I can't fucking believe how these congress hearings go since Trump came along. It's like the Republican congressmen (I guess some women too) have absolutely gone crackers. Pun intended.
    I agree. Did you watch her 5 min?
  • Options
    dignin said:
    Agreed

Was on the road today and had a chance to hear most of the afternoon on npr

I thought she did a great job, and didn't grandstand as i thought a few others did... professional and well executed
  • Options
    dignin said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    I agree. Did you watch her 5 min?
    Not yet. I will. I find her impressive in most things she does, so am not surprised to hear that she did well today.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    my2hands said:
    dignin said:
    Agreed

Was on the road today and had a chance to hear most of the afternoon on npr

I thought she did a great job, and didn't grandstand as i thought a few others did... professional and well executed
    Yup. No BS, just asked interesting and pertinent questions.
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,491
    she’s the man.

no new green deal, tho. :nuh_uh:
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,120
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    I didn't think we were arguing. I thought this was just a conversation. And if by "never going to get anywhere" means we're not going to change each other's minds, no, that's true. Is that what you people are always trying to do???? That's not what I'm always trying to do.
    It's not stupidity. I don't know why you would label it as such. It's something you don't agree with (are in denial about, or are willfully refusing to understand where I'm coming from), but it's not at all stupid, and many, MANY people see the parallels that I do. And I think they are actually undeniable when you think about it objectively. IMO.
    Many many people! The mostest people ever! Hmmmm I’ve heard stuff like that before!!! ;) Sorry couldn’t help it, as I read it I heard trump’s voice saying it.

And it’s not worth it cause you will never say what you wrote wasn’t right or that perhaps you are making a silly comparison. It’ll never happen. So not worth discussing 
    No, you're right. I will never lie and say I don't think something I actually do think. That is not in my nature at all. I stand by my convictions and don't let people bully or berate them out of me.
    Not doing either of that. Just realizing you aren’t going to change your opinion despite the counters presented here. So it’s not worth it. Why it that bullying?
    Why would I change my opinion on this? I'm not a total flake. And I have seen no "counters" that even came remotely close to, well, anything. All anyone has said is that my opinion is stupid nonsense and that I won't say what I believe is wrong. Not exactly a breathtaking counterargument, lol. Nobody can even say why they don't think it parallels the Nazis. I listed why I think there are parallels and nobody has debated that.
    But I don't know why you say "it's not worth it." What isn't? This is a board where we discuss things, debate things, express our opinions... if this isn't worth it, is anything here worth it?? Or is your sole aim here to change people's opinions? Like I said, that isn't my goal here. Mine is simply discourse.
    My goal is to debate my positions and hope to either influence others OR LEARN FROM THEM AND POTENTIALLY CHANGE MY VIEW. 

What good is discourse if you arent willing to change? That’s right, no good. Why go back and forth like stubborn ping pong 
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    I didn't think we were arguing. I thought this was just a conversation. And if by "never going to get anywhere" means we're not going to change each other's minds, no, that's true. Is that what you people are always trying to do???? That's not what I'm always trying to do.
    It's not stupidity. I don't know why you would label it as such. It's something you don't agree with (are in denial about, or are willfully refusing to understand where I'm coming from), but it's not at all stupid, and many, MANY people see the parallels that I do. And I think they are actually undeniable when you think about it objectively. IMO.
    Many many people! The mostest people ever! Hmmmm I’ve heard stuff like that before!!! ;) Sorry couldn’t help it, as I read it I heard trump’s voice saying it.

And it’s not worth it cause you will never say what you wrote wasn’t right or that perhaps you are making a silly comparison. It’ll never happen. So not worth discussing 
    No, you're right. I will never lie and say I don't think something I actually do think. That is not in my nature at all. I stand by my convictions and don't let people bully or berate them out of me.
    Not doing either of that. Just realizing you aren’t going to change your opinion despite the counters presented here. So it’s not worth it. Why it that bullying?
    Why would I change my opinion on this? I'm not a total flake. And I have seen no "counters" that even came remotely close to, well, anything. All anyone has said is that my opinion is stupid nonsense and that I won't say what I believe is wrong. Not exactly a breathtaking counterargument, lol. Nobody can even say why they don't think it parallels the Nazis. I listed why I think there are parallels and nobody has debated that.
    But I don't know why you say "it's not worth it." What isn't? This is a board where we discuss things, debate things, express our opinions... if this isn't worth it, is anything here worth it?? Or is your sole aim here to change people's opinions? Like I said, that isn't my goal here. Mine is simply discourse.
    My goal is to debate my positions and hope to either influence others OR LEARN FROM THEM AND POTENTIALLY CHANGE MY VIEW. 

What good is discourse if you arent willing to change? That’s right, no good. Why go back and forth like stubborn ping pong 
    So you think no matter what, we should all be willing to change any of our views? Even when we present what we consider excellent reasons for holding that view? I don't think that is reasonable at all.
    And what other good can it do? Just to learn other perspectives (doesn't matter if you are willing to accept them really), for entertainment, to express oneself and have others understand your views ... plenty of good. Anyway, like I said, nobody here has even tried to sway me from my view on this one with some good counterpoints. They've simply said my view is nonsense.
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    Many counterpoints were presented, actually...

• Options
    my2hands said:

Literally none were, in response to my list of why I think there are parallels.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    my2hands said:

Never are....
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    PJ_Soul said:
    my2hands said:

Never are....
    Pardon? That's not true. Stick to the conversation at hand.
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,900
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    my2hands said:

Never are....
    Give me a list of your parallels again. Thank you ally.

I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Well, ICE was utilized to a great deal under Obama (even more so than Trump) so does that equate Obama to Hitler? 
    No!  Because they are not even close to the same thing!  ICE is not devout to a specific political party, nor are they purposely arresting and exterminating a minority class  in some endgame goal of creating a master race.  What a joke...yes, it is stupid to equate the two in my opinion.  You are not thinking of it objectively, you are pushing the rhetoric narcissistically!
    Narcissistically? No. That makes no sense. You have no reason to say that.
    I don't equate anything. I draw parallels. And I don't think the parallels between Trump and Hitler exist just because of what ICE does. If that were all it were, I'd say there are some parallels between ICE and the SS, but not between Trump and friends and the growth of the Third Reich (I do not support Obama in that either btw, and did not support a few things Obama did, but ICE is indeed using different, more sinister tactics now under Trump). But there are MANY parallels that can be drawn between Trump and his inner circle and the Nazi party through the 30s. All kinds of tactics are shared. Especially all the trickster propaganda against the free press, and the anti-immigrant rhetoric that stirs up all the racism among his supporters and stirring up fear of the "other", and all the bald-faced lying and denial of facts and replacement of facts with completely untrue "alternate facts", and all the cozying up with fascist dictators, all the rallies when Trump isn't campaigning (where he incites violence against the free press), and all the kidnapping children and putting them in cages largely indiscriminately and not even keeping track of them, and all the general fucking craziness and extreme eccentricity of the man himself. PLUS the big influx of terror-inducing tactics being used by ICE. All of these things... Yes, many parallels to Hitler and the rise of his regime.

• Options
    Lots of counterpoints were offered to show why comparing ICE to the SS are not only inaccurate, but frankly ridiculous 

This is totally not worth it, i dont think I've honestly ever seen you concede a point or even suggest you could be wrong
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    my2hands said:
    Lots of counterpoints were offered to show why comparing ICE to the SS are not only inaccurate, but frankly ridiculous 

This is totally not worth it, i dont think I've honestly ever seen you concede a point or even suggest you could be wrong
    I guess you missed it then.
    I responded to those counterpoints and even posted several articles showing why I disagreed, and as you can see, nobody responded to the points I am referring to now.
    But I don't see why you care either way. Leave me be. I have a right to stand by my opinions and have no idea why you seem to think I am obligated to concede in this case.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    my2hands said:

Never are....
    You literally said so yourself. You don’t listen just come to state your case. So of course no one else’s points matter.
    Post edited by cincybearcat on
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    And correct me if I'm wrong, but haven't you been repeatedly asked by the mods to discuss the topic at hand and not the posters?
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    my2hands said:

I guess you missed it then.
    I responded to those counterpoints and even posted several articles showing why I disagreed, and as you can see, nobody responded to the points I am referring to now.
    But I don't see why you care either way. Leave me be. I have a right to stand by my opinions and have no idea why you seem to think I am obligated to concede in this case.
    Leave me be? Wth does that mean?
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    my2hands said:

Never are....
    You literally said so yourself.
    ... then I actually don't understand what you are trying to say here.
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,900
    What “terror inducing” tactics does ice use that parallel to the ss?
    and yes kids were taken from their parents but were eventually given back and not shot on the spot, worked to death or put in gas chambers.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    my2hands said:

Never are....
    You literally said so yourself.
    ... then I actually don't understand what you are trying to say here.
    You said you don’t come here to learn and potentially change your position on anything. I said it’s not worth it and you claimed I was bullying. Wtf. You never think anyone’s counterpoints are on par with you. So why don’t we leave it at what I originally said, cause it applies to every conversation I’ve ever seen you have. It’s not worth it to have a discussion. Cause you aren’t going to ever listen to learn. You have a position and aren’t changing. That’s just the facts. You say so yourself.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    You are wrong but will never admit it. Ever. On anything.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    mcgruff10 said:
    What “terror inducing” tactics does ice use that parallel to the ss?
    and yes kids were taken from their parents but were eventually given back and not shot on the spot, worked to death or put in gas chambers.  
    Many, many children have not been given back - they don't even know where they are. And now it's discovered that 1000s more children were forcibly taken than was reported.
    Now please go back and read those articles I posted about the ICE raids. I posted them to show you how they have induced terror.
    And I have said more than once I am not saying they are exactly the same. You'll recall this started when I said I think the current ICE is more comparable to the SS than to the KKK, as Harris suggested. Not that ICE and the SS are the same in all ways.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,654
    This has gotten ridiculous lately.  We've ceased to discuss the merits of any topic on every thread now.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    And correct me if I'm wrong, but haven't you been repeatedly asked by the mods to discuss the topic at hand and not the posters?
    You asked me to explain my comment of why it’s not worth it. I did. Now you are complaining about me answering your question...in fact the same way you already answered the question yourself? Seriously? 
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    This has gotten ridiculous lately.  We've ceased to discuss the merits of any topic on every thread now.
    I agree. It keeps devolving into a conversation about how certain people don't like how other certain people state their opinions. It's really lame.