Options

Alexandra Ocasio-Cortez

Comments

• Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,628
    So she was happy chasing 25000 thousand jobs away...nice.
    it's really stupid.  
    In a Siena poll released:
    - 58% of NYC voters approved of Amazon coming in
    - 53% of union households
    - 70% of blacks and 80% of Latinos approve
    - Only 51% of whites approved
    But great job AOC.  You really had another big win, just like your coup d'etat on Pelosi.  

https://www.scribd.com/document/399492096/Amazon-Cross-Tabs
  • Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    mrussel1 said:
    So she was happy chasing 25000 thousand jobs away...nice.
    it's really stupid.  
    In a Siena poll released:
    - 58% of NYC voters approved of Amazon coming in
    - 53% of union households
    - 70% of blacks and 80% of Latinos approve
    - Only 51% of whites approved
    But great job AOC.  You really had another big win, just like your coup d'etat on Pelosi.  

https://www.scribd.com/document/399492096/Amazon-Cross-Tabs
    I thought the people were opposed.  More likely AOC made a big stink, and never really knew what the people wanted.

I get at how people are upset about subsidies and not paying their fair share, but 25 000 jobs.  10 years ago, Ontario and the federal government bailed out GM to the tune of 10 billion, and GM claimed that the 10B over the last decade contributed 108b to the Canadian economy, no new jobs were part of the agreement.  So over-all the economic impact would have been a huge boost.  This is 25 000 jobs that presumably are long-term jobs.

Their loss will surely be someone else's gain.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,954
    I think AOC's beef with Amazon related more to NYC giving them millions to locate there.  
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Options
    I think AOC's beef with Amazon related more to NYC giving them millions to locate there.  
    It is, but it generates millions in tax dollars, both corporate and income taxes that far outweighs that cost.  I don't know the structure in NYC, but in VA (where I live), it will take the state less than 3 years to overcome the tax incentives they gave Amazon.  And that's just me calculating the state income tax, not even taking into consideration the business tax or the ancillary economic activity.  

I"m sorry, it is just utterly foolish.  
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,087
    Right she didn't care about any other data.  She saw a number and either didnt understand or didnt care about the rest of it.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,122
    The really foolish thing is saying that the incentives used to lure Amazon can now be used as funding.  In that regard she and Trump are very alike  ... making unfounded proclamation to appease your fringe base. Maybe that is why our attention gravitate towards them. 
  • Options
    Jason P said:
    The really foolish thing is saying that the incentives used to lure Amazon can now be used as funding.  In that regard she and Trump are very alike  ... making unfounded proclamation to appease your fringe base. Maybe that is why our attention gravitate towards them. 
    Yeah I forgot about that statement.  Truly clueless...
  • Options

So these office workers are going to be given bottles to piss in?

So these jobs averaging 150k will have those folks on food stamps?
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options

Doubling down on stupid. 
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:

Doubling down on stupid. 
    That is the only thing I can think of.  If workers in their warehouse are improperly treated, address that ... chasing that many jobs away is just stupid ... 
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:

Doubling down on stupid. 
    That is the only thing I can think of.  If workers in their warehouse are improperly treated, address that ... chasing that many jobs away is just stupid ... 
    And the warehouse isn't in her district..  this was hq, white collar.  

Joe and Mika were ripping her apart, as was the whole MSNBC team this morning.  They were really pissed that she was celebrating this 'victory'.  It's exactly how I felt yesterday.  
  • Options
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,524

Again, that 150k average salary thing is completely misleading. (I am not saying I necessarily agree with AOC on this one btw... though I do agree or empathize with some of her concerns)
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

Doubling down on stupid. 
    And the warehouse isn't in her district..  this was hq, white collar.  

Joe and Mika were ripping her apart, as was the whole MSNBC team this morning.  They were really pissed that she was celebrating this 'victory'.  It's exactly how I felt yesterday.  
    I totally understand people do not like rich corporations getting tax breaks.  But 3 billion in incentives for 25 000 jobs that will be there for years, then the spinoff jobs that are getting created.  Jeesh, if some corporation wanted to come near me, with the promise of 25000 jobs, I expect my politicians to get it done ... not chase them away.  That a small town.

It also sends an anti-business message.  
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

Again, that 150k average salary thing is completely misleading. (I am not saying I necessarily agree with AOC on this one btw... though I do agree or empathize with some of her concerns)
    How is it misleading? Amazon said the average wage of the 25,000 new jobs would be $150,000.  It had nothing to do with average amazon pay or the ceo it anything.

The only potentially misleading thing would be if they were including benefits, etc in that number and not just salary.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    Reading the 14 page memo I did get this out of it.

Plane companies would be massively reduced.  Intercontinental flights would be non existent so you'd piss those companies and employees off.  Don't forget the share holders...

Fuel that is used to fly those planes would be drastically reduced so the oil companies and employees that make the fuel would get pissed off.  Don't forget the share holders...

Focusing on rail and bus transit would be a major task.  I'd love to take a bullet train across country.

Coal exports would stop so that industry would be completely dead.  Oh yeah, the share holders...

It talks about renewable energy but doesn't pin point how we will do that.

I do like that it would make new buildings maximum efficient.  There is something called LEED that is and has already been in place though I don't think she knows that this even exists.

Retrofitting older buildings to maximum efficiency.

Local job and manufacturing focus is a nationalist approach.  This was frowned upon when mentioned by the current admin.

These are all great ideas but I just don't see how we pay for them?

• Options
    There is definitely some anti-corporate greed driving this, think Wal-Mart, GE, NFL owners looking for subsidies for stadiums, etc. As for Amazon, they should address how they treat their warehouse employees because that’s where the vast majority of jobs are when it’s all said and done. I get not these jobs in particular but it might be similar to Wal-Mart treating their employees like shit while the 10 Walton family members are billionaires many times over. Take care of your own before you come looking for a hand out with your hand out. What’s Bezo’s net worth again?
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

You are the only one here saying that, Cincy and mrussel1 are saying these are legit wages.  This is not a warehouse, these are corporate jobs, and I am assuming that Amazon has to compete wage wise with all the other corporations.  I believe I read that many of these jobs are computer engineer jobs.  I'm pretty sure the wait staff in the cafeteria will not bring down that average much. 
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    There is definitely some anti-corporate greed driving this, think Wal-Mart, GE, NFL owners looking for subsidies for stadiums, etc. As for Amazon, they should address how they treat their warehouse employees because that’s where the vast majority of jobs are when it’s all said and done. I get not these jobs in particular but it might be similar to Wal-Mart treating their employees like shit while the 10 Walton family members are billionaires many times over. Take care of your own before you come looking for a hand out with your hand out. What’s Bezo’s net worth again?
    It could also boil down to votes?

Start building that complex and everything in a 10 mile radius gets more expensive and starts pushing people out.  That's  Ocasio's base of voters that would be moving from there.

Even 150K jobs would be spending 80% of their income on housing so no way a 50K warehouse job is going to be able to sustain in that proximity.
  • Options
    I’d be very interested in the reality in the warehouses.

1) Having to work a holiday? This is something that happens in the 24/7 world. Manufacturing and warehousing rarely close down completely.

2) Forced OT? Yup part of the job description a lot. Especially in union facilities cause the ones with seniority don’t work it.

3) Pissing in trash cans cause no bathroom breaks? This is truly awful if true. So many bad things, it’s unhealthy for the people, it kills morale, it creates biohazards for all...of true its damning.

4) Safety - if truly having people finish work before being seen it is truly awful and illegal. At least in the US. 
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options

Plane companies would be massively reduced.  Intercontinental flights would be non existent so you'd piss those companies and employees off.  Don't forget the share holders...

Fuel that is used to fly those planes would be drastically reduced so the oil companies and employees that make the fuel would get pissed off.  Don't forget the share holders...

Focusing on rail and bus transit would be a major task.  I'd love to take a bullet train across country.

Coal exports would stop so that industry would be completely dead.  Oh yeah, the share holders...

I do like that it would make new buildings maximum efficient.  There is something called LEED that is and has already been in place though I don't think she knows that this even exists.

Local job and manufacturing focus is a nationalist approach.  This was frowned upon when mentioned by the current admin.

Didn't California stop the proposed San Franciso to LA bullet train and now it's only going to be 120-160 miles, instead of 800 miles, because it was getting too expensive and cost over-runs.

Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options

Didn't California stop the proposed San Franciso to LA bullet train and now it's only going to be 120-160 miles, instead of 800 miles, because it was getting too expensive and cost over-runs.

I heard this on the radio but didn’t confirm it. 
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options

I heard this on the radio but didn’t confirm it. 
    That's the next can of worms I'll get involved in but I'm staying here for now, lol.
  • Options
    It could also boil down to votes?

Start building that complex and everything in a 10 mile radius gets more expensive and starts pushing people out.  That's  Ocasio's base of voters that would be moving from there.

Even 150K jobs would be spending 80% of their income on housing so no way a 50K warehouse job is going to be able to sustain in that proximity.
    That would be a natural outcome.  But is that bad, on the whole?  If the answer is yes, then one is advocating for only low paying jobs, or no jobs.  Doesn't seem like the right answer either.  
  • Options
    PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    The whole thing just sounds like a wishlist instead of realistic and achievable goals.
  • Options
    CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,793
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    The more I hear about her, the more I like her. 
  • Options
    dignin said:
    The more I hear about her, the more I like her. 
    I’m shocked we are having the opposite reaction! 
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    CM189191 said:
    Perfect for the onion.  

Definitely don't want good jobs in the city.  Can't let capitalism win. 
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    CM189191 said:
    Perfect for the onion.  

Definitely don't want good jobs in the city.  Can't let capitalism win. 
    It all works out for AOC. The jobs go elsewhere and she gets those people to pay for a living wage for her people that are unwilling to work.
    hippiemom = goodness