Options

Last Time A Song Made You Cry ?

Comments

• Options
    I was in the freezer section of my supermarket last week, listening to Small Town on my iPod. Everything's fine, then I got to the part:

I just want to scream hello.
    My god it's been so long, never dreamed you'd return.
    But now here you are, and here I am.

And I started crying. Heard it hundreds of times, but it just struck me as very beautiful right there next to the frozen pizza.
    "Things will just get better and better even though it
    doesn't feel that way right now. That's the hopeful
    idea . . . Hope didn't get much applause . . .
    Hope! Hope is the underdog!"

-- EV, Live at the Showbox
  • Options
    was driving down an interstate with binaural on random. parting ways came on. dont know if i would call it crying, but i definitely got teary eyed. something about the music mixing with ed's vocals and lyrics touched me. the chords they hit during the verses are so powerful, and the repeated
    "drifting away, drifting away..." is an unbelievable closing. great song, and a beautiful finish to a superb album.
  • Options
    Hello my first post here. I don't know very much Pearl Jam, it was one of those bands my sister got into more than I did. But the thing that inspired me to come on here was that I decided to download some of their stuff, remembering it to be good. The first track I got was "rear view mirror", and cried for about half an hour. I have no idea why, but it is a powerful song, and it reminds me of home and the people I miss a lot. And the lyrics too are relevant, not in any specific way, but the over all theme I can identify with.

The other worst songs for making me basically greet like a bairn would be "New Dawn Fades" by Joy Division and "Some Kind of Stranger" by Sisters of Mercy.
  • Options
    Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    The other worst songs for making me basically greet like a bairn would be "New Dawn Fades" by Joy Division and "Some Kind of Stranger" by Sisters of Mercy.
    New Dawn Fades is seriously sad. have you heard John Frusciante's cover? he did it live a few times. Its pretty good.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • Options
    smarcheesmarchee Windsor, Ontario Posts: 14,539
    fan tribute to Elliot Smith with Miss Misery as song chosen

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=isicc1vqoT8
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • Options
    Earlier today.
    I was watching Sad aol sessions and I had the lyrics in front of me...made me cry. Going into a very difficult time of year for me, and that song hits a lot of nerves.
    "Rock and roll is something that can't be quantified, sometimes it's not even something you hear, but FEEL!" - Bob Lefsetz
  • Options
    KushikushunKushikushun Posts: 1,263
    When I suddenly released how much Better Man resembles my sisters situation. I really want to see her happy, but she's stuck in a situation of which she will not be able to free herself for some time....bringing tears to my eyes right now..

The lyrics seem like her thoughts, but the music resembles my feelings of frustration *shaking head*.

One hand I am thinking 'Everyone has its own path to walk on' on the other hand I just want to shake her and tell her that she truly deserves a 'better man'!!!
    Why not be mediocre and be the best at it that you can be?
  • Options
    When I suddenly released how much Better Man resembles my sisters situation. I really want to see her happy, but she's stuck in a situation of which she will not be able to free herself for some time....bringing tears to my eyes right now..

The lyrics seem like her thoughts, but the music resembles my feelings of frustration *shaking head*.

One hand I am thinking 'Everyone has its own path to walk on' on the other hand I just want to shake her and tell her that she truly deserves a 'better man'!!!
    I always thought Eddie wrote Better Man for me....I was just like your sister, I knew I deserved better , I knew that no one should be treated the way he treated me but i thought i loved him..my 2 sisters would beg me to leave him, they thought he would really hurt me and no matter what they said, how much they cried ,i didn't do it. It took me a long time to realize that i did deserve better and no matter what anyone said I had to do it for me...and i finally did
  • Options
    Last Exit
  • Options
    I always thought Eddie wrote Better Man for me....I was just like your sister, I knew I deserved better , I knew that no one should be treated the way he treated me but i thought i loved him..my 2 sisters would beg me to leave him, they thought he would really hurt me and no matter what they said, how much they cried ,i didn't do it. It took me a long time to realize that i did deserve better and no matter what anyone said I had to do it for me...and i finally did

Wow, thank you for this response...! I know that is the only way to go, so I will wait and will be there for her no matter what happens or what she decides. If you have any advice, please let me know.

And ...GOOD FOR YOU!!! *Hug*
  • Options
    Well,it was Last Kiss for me....I don't know why...and I think it will hardly make me cry again ...but when I listened to the text...it's just so powerful and beautiful....
  • Options
    snailsnail Posts: 25
    10000 Days (wings part 2) by tool. even tho i'm an athiest, or maybe because of it-- I think Maynard JK is an athiest or at least agnostic, so the song is especially poignant.
    Also, of course, listening to Army Reserve and Come Back together makes me sad and angry :(
    Peace
  • Options
    PJammin'PJammin' Posts: 1,742
    a few days ago listening to a cd someone made for me. i was a mess.
    I died. I died and you just stood there. I died and you watched. I died and you walked by and said no. I'm dead.
  • Options
    ymerejymerej Posts: 70
    I listen this song every day. Several times.
    And it means to me a lot, to hear...my Given to fly.
    If someday Eddie says to me, that this song is written for and about me, I will belive him...
    Yeah, I know.
    I'm not such kind of a dreamer. But this song is unbeliavable.
    It's full of diffirent feelings. Sometimes it makes me strong, when I'm happy it makes me smile, when I'm sad it makes me cry.
    When I've heard this song for a very first time, I became a better person...it's hard to explain, but Given to fly leads me, and I can easily decide or do the right things...

"He floated back down, cause he wanted to share, his key to the locks on the chains he saw everywhere....but first he was stripped, and then he was stabbed, by faceless man, well fuckers...he still stands!!!"

And that made me believe, that despite of all troubles, bad times and leaders...everything is possible...if you realy believe in yourself (the in between is mine...I'm mine...?)...
    ...in our cruel world, natural human love doesn't exist anymore...and when you are trying to find it...someone stabs you a knife into your back...

...but you have to pe patient...you have to believe...you have to be a better person (better man?).....and you will survive....and maybe find...
    ...your basic right to love.

(I realized...it's a long way...but I can make it!!!...and that made me cry.)

Anyway....he's still FLYING...WIDE...HIGH!!!!

let's try.
    and fly with him.
    I just want to scream...
    ...hello!!!
    My god its been six years...
    never dreamed...
    ...you'd return.
  • Options
    @ Ymerej.....*hug* I am with you here. Don't know what to say, just shaking my head and hoping you're fine!
    It's a beautiful song and I wiped away some tears when PJ played it life in Arnhem (Netherlands). A young boy at the school where I work commited suicide about two years ago in a horrible way. I dedicated a piece of this song to his memory and wrote it down on his memorial site. I hope that he's truly a strange spot in the sky....

I think its great that we can just really come together on this site and support eachother...

Love to all X
  • Options
    Well, Black and Yellow Ledbetter can make me cry when it's really loud played on my stereo...
  • Options
    i cry when i am listening the whole show from athens...but that s something else.my first pj show...

'what started as a whisper
    slowly turned into a scream
    searching for an answer
    when the question is unseen...'

mr Ben Harper got it right for me at that time of my life...
  • Options
    ymerej wrote:

(I realized...it's a long way...but I can make it!!!...and that made me cry.)

Anyway....he's still FLYING...WIDE...HIGH!!!!

let's try.
    and fly with him.

i think i know what r u saying...good for you..
    at least we can try...
  • Options
    i was listening to Love Boat Captain from the south america tour 2005 in Argentina, at the beginning ed says: (Sabemos q un año atras muchos de ustedes perdieron a varios amigos en un concierto tragico , nosotros tambien pasamos por eso le dedicamos esta cancion a los q ya no estan y tambien a los q sobrevivieron) In english( We know that the last year a some of you lost a lot of friends in a tragic concert; well play this song for them who are not here and survive) after that i started to cry very feeling!!!!!111
    its not a bad time to be me; something made me realise it was time to get away from there or i was going to be just another loser!
  • Options
    AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    today, again, 'Come Back'.
    And Incubus, 'I miss you'
  • Options
    Sad...makes me...well...sad :o
    There's a light when my baby's in my arms :)
  • Options
    flowflow Posts: 24
    "come back" makes me cry lately because i miss my boyfriend who is away for a few months, i miss him wery much

also, "black" in zagreb, that was my first PJ's concert and it's my favourite song of all times
    To myself I... surrender
    To the one I'll never please
  • Options
    flowflow Posts: 24
    come back
    To myself I... surrender
    To the one I'll never please
  • Options
    Come back gets me everytime. This last year was very hard on my family, we lost my bestfriend/cousin who was 26, 3 aunts, and my mom's best friend. Mom's best friend committed suicide (by hanging non the less) and everytime I hear this song I feel bad for Ed b/c I know he misses his friend as much as I miss my family members.
    "F**K you, I have laundry to do" -ed
  • Options
    BuruBuru Posts: 8,473
    I listened to a great version of Long Road a few days back
    made me cry

I almost cried during a Patti Smith song last friday too, wish I could remember the lyrics... they were beautiful
    y la banda de Guille... cuando toca?
  • Options
    KleinKlein Posts: 32
    It's not so much cry as it is that feeling that just swells up in your stomach and you feel like you're gonna explode... I guess for some it comes out as tears.
    Anyhow, the songs that give me that feeling are as follows

Black - Pearl Jam
    Never is a Promise - Fiona Apple
    Good Woman - Cat Power
    Disintegration - The Cure

And the one other PJ song that is having an extreme effect on me is Come Back. Holy crap is that a great song!
  • Options
    Klein wrote:
    And the one other PJ song that is having an extreme effect on me is Come Back. Holy crap is that a great song!

I loved that song from day one. At the concert here in Arnhem I was singing it out loud at the end...hoping it would be picked up and they would...come back... :(
  • Options
    Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Washington DC Posts: 7,253
    I was listening to Death Cab for Cutie's We Looked Like Giants, and then I listened to Radioheads Street Spirit and I felt a growing wave of emotion within me, the feel of the songs did it. Instead of crying I wrote, but it was a wave a emotion, it wasn't just What a nice song type of feeling. To hear them was more than just an invitation, but a challenge. I couldn't just listen to them, and move on to something other activity, before I had something concrete to show for that time.

Oops, sorry I thought I was in the Other Music thread.
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • Options
    Elderly Woman last night,,, i hadnt heard it in while and i discovered the song two years ago when it seems everything was so much better so it reminded me of those times.
    also reminded me of people i miss at the moment because time has moved on and i am not close to them anymore, and i think the song conveys this feeling.
    I see the birds in the rain...

i know and i would not ever touch you, hold you, feel you ever... oh, never again
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    First ever show-Leeds Festival 25th Aug 2006.
  • Options
    JamalJamal Posts: 2,115
    Elderly Woman last night,,, i hadnt heard it in while and i discovered the song two years ago when it seems everything was so much better so it reminded me of those times.
    also reminded me of people i miss at the moment because time has moved on and i am not close to them anymore, and i think the song conveys this feeling.
    it almost making me cry right now
    why won't the tears just set me free and roll down my cheek
    fill my mouth with salty drops
    Surf little waves big... Charge big waves hard

- Antwerp '06, Nijmegen '07, Werchter '07