Options

New Ticket Policy Changes Simplified

Comments

• Options
    PJNB said:
    jmug23 said:
    jmug23 said:
    Sarava said:
    It seems to me that the band is trying to make sure all members get in. If a couple of 2 is putting in for 4 because they are both members,  then the band thinks there's no room for another member which is wrong and not what they want. No offense but I think they're trying to weed out the greedy. Last time at Fenway I heard 2 young girls on the floor bitching that they didn't even like the band but their boyfriends dragged them along. It took everything in me not to scream! I'm hoping this system weeds out the half ass fans. It's all good!
    I'm not even sure what to say to that. That's part of being in a couple. I drag my wife to things that I'm more in to than her (like PJ concerts), and she drags me to things that she's more in to than me (like Barry Manilow or Disney World). 
    Yep. That’s the beautiful part of relationships, u just suck it up and go. My wife is definitely not a PJ fan but I brought her to Boston last year and she had a blast. She does enjoy solo Ed stuff because it’s much slower. In turn, she drags me to jason Mraz shows everywhere. It all equals out :)
    I'll never understand this.
    Never understand what?
    Being in a give and take relationship I think... Hell I watched The Bachelor the other night. That is true fucking love right there. Terrible show. 
    Lol
  • Options
    jeffbr said:
    jmug23 said:
    jeffbr said:
    jmug23 said:
    jeffbr said:
    jmug23 said:
    PJNB said:
    I just would like to ask those that think double membership in one household is unfair, who do you go to the show with? Have you never had a ticket buddy before or do you go solo to every show? Just because I live with somebody who is just as big of a fan as I am why does that mean we should only use one account?
          I 100% don’t think that’s unfair. If you both pay your dues, which obviously you do, then you both have the right to put in for the lottery. I assume if you win twice, then you obviously give your tickets to other Pj fans. I guess I’m not understanding the argument against it. Now obviously if you were trying to sell second pair for profit that would be wrong. I do think it’s cool when people who have won more than they need offer it to other fan club members who missed out first, but even that isn’t a perfect system because some of those same people who say they missed out, won 5 other shows. 
    Here's the issue - If you are putting in for 4 tickets, and only intending to use 2 of them, by definition you are attempting to buy tickets you don't intend to use. Doing so ensures that someone else putting in for 2 tickets they will actually use will be shut out of getting them. It isn't "wrong" as in "against the rules" and is perfectly within your rights as you say, but it is "wrong" as in "you're fucking over your fellow fanclub member". That is why the "unfair" label gets used. You are gaming the system at the expense of another member.

Hopefully this new policy significantly cuts down that behavior.
    I don’t agree. They are putting in two entries because there is obviously no guarantee they are going to win the first entry. Now if tickets were guaranteed and they still put in multiple entries just to try and resale or trade or whatever, then that’s a problem. If there was somehow a way to guarantee all fan club members one set of tickets per show, then this wouldn’t Be an issue.  The reality is however, that many people put in for tickets for multiple shows and inevitably, some people will miss out on tickets. The good news is, most people seem to be very good people and usually just pass along their extras to fellow fan club members. 
    I guess we'll just disagree then. I think when a couple puts in for 4 tickets, only needing 2 of them, they've doubled their odds without assuming additional risk. If they did away with the ability to transfer tickets, I would have fewer issues with this. You could go for 4 tickets, win 4, and have to eat 2. Assuming the additional risk would be the price for doubling your odds. But the way it was, there was no risk (hell, it was easy to transfer a pair to other 10c members as long as you were there to pick them up). This new policy adds a bit of complexity to the ticket transfer situation, so there is potential that this sort of scheme is slowed down a bit. I like it.
    Yeah you got a good point there and that makes a lot of sense. You are probably right that new system should definitely slow down most of that. I guess I’ve always been fortunate and always have gotten the shows I have wanted so never really thouht about it from the other point of view. I don’t have two memberships by the way:)
    Yeah, I have no problem with multiple memberships in a household, I just don't see how people should be allowed to put in for more tickets than they intend to use without some additional cost or consequence. And I understand why people do it. Everyone wants to get tickets and will do anything they can to increase their odds. I signed up for the Verified Fan thing as a way to increase my odds of securing a ticket if I don't get drawn in the lottery. So we do what we do. I just think this new policy controls the crazy flipping/transfer madness that is pervasive here during tour time. People can still have ticket buddies (you put in for show A, I'll put in for show B), but it eliminates a massive number of "I've got an extra pair for the show" posts.
    If I believed that everyone sells their "extra tickets at costs to other fan members" I might not have as much ass ache with the fact that I have been shut out of 80% of the ticket lotteries and had to try to score a terrible seat on ticket master or pay astronomical prices on stub hub.  Unfortunately I don't believe it.  Maybe some people are willing to sell that extra 6th row seat for cost but I know that some also fund a lot of their travel by selling at double, triple, or five times+ value.  This will stop a lot of that.  If you aren't that guy its nice that you at least didn't try to totally hose the ones of us that don't do it. If you are? Na Na Na Na Na Na.
  • Options
    JV130312JV130312 STATE OF LOVE & TRUST Posts: 2,413
    If the tickets are mobile, what keeps one from just transferring all of their tickets via a screen shot of the ticket?
    I Know All The Rules But The Rules Do Not Know Me.
  • Options
    Mr BenjaminMr Benjamin Adelaide, Australia Posts: 88
    I always thought my partner love PJ as much as I. But she thinks flying out from Australia for Sea x2 and Miss is ridiculous. And is trying to ban me going solo.
    I figure I'll leave it to the lottery gods. Liking the sound of this new system, but we'll see.
    George, Washington (September 01, 2005)
    Toronto, Ontario (September 19, 2005)
    Quebec City, Quebec (September 20, 2005)
    Halifax, Nova Scotia (September 22, 2005)
    St. Johns, Newfoundland (September 24, 2005)
    St. Johns, Newfoundland (September 25, 2005)
    Washington, D.C. (May 30, 2006)
    E. Rutherford, New Jersey (June 01, 2006)
    E. Rutherford, New Jersey (June 03, 2006)
    George, Washington (July 22, 2006)
    George, Washington (July 23, 2006)
    Dublin, Ireland (August 23, 2006)
    Reading, England (August 27, 2006)
    Sydney, Australia (November 07, 2006)
    Sydney, Australia (November 08, 2006)
    Melbourne, Australia (November 13, 2006)
    Melbourne, Australia (November 14, 2006)
    Melbourne, Australia (November 16, 2006)
    Sydney, Australia (November 18, 2006)
    Newcastle, Australia (November 19, 2006)
    Adelaide, Australia (November 21, 2006)
    Adelaide, Australia (November 22, 2006)
    Perth, Australia (November 25, 2006)
    London, UK (August 18, 2009)
    Perth, Australia (November 14, 2009) 
    Adelaide, Australia (November 17, 2009)
    Melbourne, Australia (November 20, 2009)
    Sydney, Australia (November 22, 2009)
    Brisbane, Australia (November 25, 2009)
    Auckland, New Zealand (November 27, 2009)
    Christchurch, New Zealand (November 29, 2009)
    Los Angeles, CA (November 23, 2013)
    Los Angeles, CA (November 24, 2013)
    Adelaide, AU (January 31, 2014)
  • Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,146
    JV130312 said:
    If the tickets are mobile, what keeps one from just transferring all of their tickets via a screen shot of the ticket?
    The tickets will probably need to be in an app, And most likely will be animated
  • Options
    jeffbr said:
    jmug23 said:
    jeffbr said:
    jmug23 said:
    jeffbr said:
    jmug23 said:
    PJNB said:
    I just would like to ask those that think double membership in one household is unfair, who do you go to the show with? Have you never had a ticket buddy before or do you go solo to every show? Just because I live with somebody who is just as big of a fan as I am why does that mean we should only use one account?
          I 100% don’t think that’s unfair. If you both pay your dues, which obviously you do, then you both have the right to put in for the lottery. I assume if you win twice, then you obviously give your tickets to other Pj fans. I guess I’m not understanding the argument against it. Now obviously if you were trying to sell second pair for profit that would be wrong. I do think it’s cool when people who have won more than they need offer it to other fan club members who missed out first, but even that isn’t a perfect system because some of those same people who say they missed out, won 5 other shows. 
    Here's the issue - If you are putting in for 4 tickets, and only intending to use 2 of them, by definition you are attempting to buy tickets you don't intend to use. Doing so ensures that someone else putting in for 2 tickets they will actually use will be shut out of getting them. It isn't "wrong" as in "against the rules" and is perfectly within your rights as you say, but it is "wrong" as in "you're fucking over your fellow fanclub member". That is why the "unfair" label gets used. You are gaming the system at the expense of another member.

I don’t agree. They are putting in two entries because there is obviously no guarantee they are going to win the first entry. Now if tickets were guaranteed and they still put in multiple entries just to try and resale or trade or whatever, then that’s a problem. If there was somehow a way to guarantee all fan club members one set of tickets per show, then this wouldn’t Be an issue.  The reality is however, that many people put in for tickets for multiple shows and inevitably, some people will miss out on tickets. The good news is, most people seem to be very good people and usually just pass along their extras to fellow fan club members. 
    I guess we'll just disagree then. I think when a couple puts in for 4 tickets, only needing 2 of them, they've doubled their odds without assuming additional risk. If they did away with the ability to transfer tickets, I would have fewer issues with this. You could go for 4 tickets, win 4, and have to eat 2. Assuming the additional risk would be the price for doubling your odds. But the way it was, there was no risk (hell, it was easy to transfer a pair to other 10c members as long as you were there to pick them up). This new policy adds a bit of complexity to the ticket transfer situation, so there is potential that this sort of scheme is slowed down a bit. I like it.
    Yeah you got a good point there and that makes a lot of sense. You are probably right that new system should definitely slow down most of that. I guess I’ve always been fortunate and always have gotten the shows I have wanted so never really thouht about it from the other point of view. I don’t have two memberships by the way:)
    Yeah, I have no problem with multiple memberships in a household, I just don't see how people should be allowed to put in for more tickets than they intend to use without some additional cost or consequence. And I understand why people do it. Everyone wants to get tickets and will do anything they can to increase their odds. I signed up for the Verified Fan thing as a way to increase my odds of securing a ticket if I don't get drawn in the lottery. So we do what we do. I just think this new policy controls the crazy flipping/transfer madness that is pervasive here during tour time. People can still have ticket buddies (you put in for show A, I'll put in for show B), but it eliminates a massive number of "I've got an extra pair for the show" posts.
    If I believed that everyone sells their "extra tickets at costs to other fan members" I might not have as much ass ache with the fact that I have been shut out of 80% of the ticket lotteries and had to try to score a terrible seat on ticket master or pay astronomical prices on stub hub.  Unfortunately I don't believe it.  Maybe some people are willing to sell that extra 6th row seat for cost but I know that some also fund a lot of their travel by selling at double, triple, or five times+ value.  This will stop a lot of that.  If you aren't that guy its nice that you at least didn't try to totally hose the ones of us that don't do it. If you are? Na Na Na Na Na Na.
    As long as the same fans repeatedly get the best seats for way below market value, they will be able to profit. At least the new system tries to force fans to eat 50% of their excess supply, but many many fans are still commenting about putting in for extras. This could lead to even higher prices on resale markets.
  • Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,813
    edited February 2018
    jeffbr said:
    jmug23 said:
    jeffbr said:
    jmug23 said:
    jeffbr said:
    jmug23 said:
    PJNB said:

As long as the same fans repeatedly get the best seats for way below market value, they will be able to profit. At least the new system tries to force fans to eat 50% of their excess supply, but many many fans are still commenting about putting in for extras. This could lead to even higher prices on resale markets.

You guys act like there was a huge problem with 10 club tickets being sold for higher then face value. There was not. When was the last time you saw a GA ticket for sale on a secondary market site? Does it happen yes but how often? Not very often and 10 club usually gets it shutdown before a sale happens. Also the person had to go to the venue and pick the tickets up limiting scalpers to the town they live by. Now the way they have it set up is you can buy a GA pair for lets say Seattle. I could live in Europe and put in for the show with no intention of going. I could win the pair and now just sell my extra for a ridiculous amount of money and eat the cost of the other ticket since I just made so much off of that single ticket. Scalpers can now make hundreds of accounts just to do this making the odds even harder for us fans. It is a broke system already imo and really only benefits the scalpers. 

Post edited by PJNB on
  • Options
    A couple of quick questions, when I throw my name in the hat tomorrow (1) do I specify at that point if I want two? and (2) will it give me an option to put my credit card in or do I need to update that on my 10 Club profile?  Thanks in advance!
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,558
    Your questions have been asked and answered many times on the board and on the ticket info page. But here you go....

https://pearljam.com/ten-club/event/pearl-jam-home-and-away-ticket-pre-sale

Ten Club Ticket Policy:

- Tickets are limited and not guaranteed.

- Tickets are priced per pair in US Dollars and include any fees.

- All ticket sales are final. No refunds or exchanges. 

- Two (2) ticket limit per show. No single tickets.

You will have to enter your credit card info

- Members entering a drawing will have a $1 authorization held on their cards no matter how many shows have been entered. If selected for any shows during the drawing, this $1 authorization will become a final sale charge totaling the sum of the ticket prices of all the shows drawn. If not selected, the $1 authorization will be canceled and released back to your card.

Good luck 

• Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,931
    There was a big chunk of yesterday when I thought the lottery opened up today. It was a nice feeling.

Sigh...one more day.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    I appreciate it man!  Part laziness and part overwhelmed, but mostly just laziness on my part, but I really do appreciate it!
  • Options
    jpgoegeljpgoegel Posts: 410
    Is it a maximum two ticket per member via the lottery? No chance at getting four per lottery win, I guess is what I'm asking. Reading the above it seems to indicate that quite clearly but just curious.  I seem to recall the 2016 that it was two max but that seems like ages ago, so I could be wrong.
  • Options
    jpgoegel said:
    Is it a maximum two ticket per member via the lottery? No chance at getting four per lottery win, I guess is what I'm asking. Reading the above it seems to indicate that quite clearly but just curious.  I seem to recall the 2016 that it was two max but that seems like ages ago, so I could be wrong.
    Always been a pair. Can't get a single or more then 2. 
  • Options
    jpgoegeljpgoegel Posts: 410
    that's what I thought....thank you.   pre-planning =)
  • Options
    varty yovarty yo Posts: 105
    JV130312 said:
    Surprisingly you cant take screen shots of tickets with bar codes etc. I tried to screen shot a ticket for a hockey game to show my buddy and it wouldnt let me. Built in safety features id say.
  • Options
    PJNB said:
    jeffbr said:
    jmug23 said:
    jeffbr said:
    jmug23 said:
    jeffbr said:
    jmug23 said:
    PJNB said:

You guys act like there was a huge problem with 10 club tickets being sold for higher then face value. There was not. When was the last time you saw a GA ticket for sale on a secondary market site? Does it happen yes but how often? Not very often and 10 club usually gets it shutdown before a sale happens. Also the person had to go to the venue and pick the tickets up limiting scalpers to the town they live by. Now the way they have it set up is you can buy a GA pair for lets say Seattle. I could live in Europe and put in for the show with no intention of going. I could win the pair and now just sell my extra for a ridiculous amount of money and eat the cost of the other ticket since I just made so much off of that single ticket. Scalpers can now make hundreds of accounts just to do this making the odds even harder for us fans. It is a broke system already imo and really only benefits the scalpers. 

I'd say it's indirectly attributable to the 10c system. It impacts supply and pricing on the resale markets.

Compared to other premium concerts, there are significantly fewer PJ tickets on the resale markets.  Limited supply is one factor driving up resale prices.

Due to premium seat's face value pricing significantly below true market value, fans are able to game the system and can afford to hoard premium tickets. 

Fans that typically are not competing for multiple premium seats at other comparable events due to pricing, crowd out this space for PJ shows, and often hold multiple tickets city after city, year after year. Often, these tickets stay within their network of friends, and are not available to the "unconnected" random fan

By preventing the premium seats from entering the marketplace, the second tier tickets become the best available seats on the market and are priced much higher than comparable events on the resale market.
  • Options
    JimmyV said:
    There was a big chunk of yesterday when I thought the lottery opened up today. It was a nice feeling.

Sigh...one more day.

Last week at work was very draining, and all day Thursday I was thinking the draw opened Feb 2, not 7. I was so tired,my mind drew a tail on the 7  ;-)
  • Options
    Sprunkn7Sprunkn7 Posts: 5,277
    As a 10 Club member for a long time and a member that has LOST way more lottery entries than I want to even count I have to put in my opinion of the "selling of your second ticket"  complaint.  There have been MANY AMAZING fan club members who have helped me get a ticket or a pair when I had none.  I have NEVER been asked more than face.  I consider myself an "UNCONNECTED" fan.  As in I don't have a posse of PJ 10 Club members that are collecting tickets so they can sell them.  If it happens I'm not aware of it.  We help each other out and there is nothing wrong with that!  My partner and I have have 2 accounts because we have gotten our faces ripped off so many times, in reality it was the only way we ever could get tickets before the lottery.  
    I think the club is doing everything to stay updated and to try and help their fanbase. Sure there maybe a few rotten apples in the barrel but most of us are good people just wanting to see our favorite band. I'm excited to see how this new system plays out.  I've been waiting for a better chance at getting a few shows via the 10 club and they way they word it I hope it's true!
    Thank you fellow 10 clubber for saving my ass....again!!!
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    I'm sorry if I hinted my opinion is there were bad apples re the ticket system.

Members have every right to try to take advantage of the system as it exists. I also hope the changes improve it, but after reading so many "strategies" it looks as if many are still trying for extras.

I posted only to state humbly, in my opinion, I do not believe the intricate 10c system accomplishes what it sets out to do. It makes a difficult problem a little worse, and rewards the same fans repeatedly.
    Post edited by Lerxst1992 on
  • Options
    given2fly23given2fly23 Evanston, IL Posts: 5,882
    PJNB said:
    Scalpers can now make hundreds of accounts just to do this making the odds even harder for us fans. It is a broke system already imo and really only benefits the scalpers.
    Completely agree and this is always my concern.  It was hard enough to get tickets before, and now this.  At least with the GA tickets, I wish they would get more strict, not less.  In-person pickup at least limited the global scalper.  Been saying for years that they should've made 10C tickets credit card entry only and I would get the automatic "I want to collect hard tickets" response, which was not the point.  Now we don't have hard tickets AND the buyer doesnt have to show up.
    Found: Soundgarden Hyde Park DVD (Thank you for the gift!)
    Posters for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/117469/posters-for-sale
    T-Shirts for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/149289/pj-t-shirt-trade-or-sale
  • Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,077
    PJNB said:
    Scalpers can now make hundreds of accounts just to do this making the odds even harder for us fans. It is a broke system already imo and really only benefits the scalpers.
    Completely agree and this is always my concern.  It was hard enough to get tickets before, and now this.  At least with the GA tickets, I wish they would get more strict, not less.  In-person pickup at least limited the global scalper.  Been saying for years that they should've made 10C tickets credit card entry only and I would get the automatic "I want to collect hard tickets" response, which was not the point.  Now we don't have hard tickets AND the buyer doesnt have to show up.
    How big of an issue has scalping really been though? You rarely/never seen Ten Club seats on legit sites, so anyone using sketchier channels can now only scalp one instead of two. Plus the added risk of question marks on the distribution.

Just seeing conversations on here, it seems multiple accounts might be the bigger issue. Create multiple accounts to increase your GA odds, knowing you can just sell off extras to friends, etc. That would be tougher now that the primary account holder has to enter the show themselves.

Fascinating to think about what sort of data the Ten Club has that informs their decisions. As someone who just enters once for each show I plan to attend, this system gives me a little more confidence that I'll get drawn.
  • Options
    pjl44 said:
    PJNB said:
    How big of an issue has scalping really been though? You rarely/never seen Ten Club seats on legit sites, so anyone using sketchier channels can now only scalp one instead of two. Plus the added risk of question marks on the distribution.

Just seeing conversations on here, it seems multiple accounts might be the bigger issue. Create multiple accounts to increase your GA odds, knowing you can just sell off extras to friends, etc. That would be tougher now that the primary account holder has to enter the show themselves.

Fascinating to think about what sort of data the Ten Club has that informs their decisions. As someone who just enters once for each show I plan to attend, this system gives me a little more confidence that I'll get drawn.
    In the past scalping 10 clubs tickets was almost non existent. When I did see it happen in 2016 on Facebook the person was completely shutdown and reported on to 10 club. 

What we are talking about is the new system and how easily it can be abused without even showing up. This introduces a whole lot of potential of new scalpers coming in and going for GA just to sell their plus 1's. They do not even have to meet in person. Just transfer the ticket over and it is done. You can like the fact that they are tying one ticket to the original buyer but a bunch of newer and easier problems are going to pop up and make things a whole lot worse then Johnny and Sally both putting in for a show they want to go to. 
  • Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,077
    PJNB said:
    pjl44 said:
    PJNB said:

In the past scalping 10 clubs tickets was almost non existent. When I did see it happen in 2016 on Facebook the person was completely shutdown and reported on to 10 club. 

What we are talking about is the new system and how easily it can be abused without even showing up. This introduces a whole lot of potential of new scalpers coming in and going for GA just to sell their plus 1's. They do not even have to meet in person. Just transfer the ticket over and it is done. You can like the fact that they are tying one ticket to the original buyer but a bunch of newer and easier problems are going to pop up and make things a whole lot worse then Johnny and Sally both putting in for a show they want to go to. 
    Couldn't disagree more. Where are these global scalpers going to sell? To me, that's always limited scalping more than will call hard tickets. It's not like there's any shortage of local touts/agencies in big cities who could have been doing this all along with hard tickets were it not for Ten Club enforcement.
  • Options
    Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 4,505
    Just some clarification questions ....

1.  The $1 charge is charged immediately when you post your picks?
    2.  It does not matter which day you enter the drawing. It could be anytime between feb 7th and the end, correct? No preference given for being "first to register".
    3.  If you win, cards are charged on the 12th?
    Turn this anger into
    Nuclear fission
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,931
    Vedd Hedd said:

2.  It does not matter which day you enter the drawing. It could be anytime between feb 7th and the end, correct? No preference given for being "first to register".
    I believe all of this is correct.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    Vedd Hedd said:

Correct though there is a running theory that people that put in first find out first but I have seen it go both ways with that one.  
  • Options
    pjl44 said:
    PJNB said:
    pjl44 said:
    PJNB said:

Couldn't disagree more. Where are these global scalpers going to sell? To me, that's always limited scalping more than will call hard tickets. It's not like there's any shortage of local touts/agencies in big cities who could have been doing this all along with hard tickets were it not for Ten Club enforcement.
    Time will tell and I hope you are right but you can not deny that it is easier now with out having to be at the venue. I just hope it works as intended and people do not eat their extra tickets they won if they do not need them since they upgraded their seats. 
  • Options
    PJNB said:
    jeffbr said:
    jmug23 said:
    jeffbr said:
    jmug23 said:
    jeffbr said:
    jmug23 said:
    PJNB said:

Except for that pesky rule that you have to be a member before the sale is announced.  Professional Scalpers are not paying membership fees year after year for the chance at premium PJ seats in a year or two. Any issues is people internal.  If people didn't take 4, 5, 6 sets of tickets a piece everyone could benefit.  Its called greed and being out for yourself.  At least own it

• Options
    Ya that 20$ a year is going to really scare people off when secondary market ticket sales are 300% or more above face and now they do not need to even show up the city. Also who is getting 4-6 sets of tickets for themselves? Where are you getting that number and why are you quoting me and saying at least own it?
  • Options
    PJNB said:
    Ya that 20$ a year is going to really scare people off when secondary market ticket sales are 300% or more above face and now they do not need to even show up the city. Also who is getting 4-6 sets of tickets for themselves? Where are you getting that number and why are you quoting me and saying at least own it?

Was following the entire chain and yes read back, many people use many accounts to get tickets that they don't intend to use themselves.  The own it was referring to nobody in particular but to those that do but hide in anonymity,