New Ticket Policy Changes Simplified

Comments

• Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,139
    edited January 2018
    Zod said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    smak said:

My point exactly. People are pulling tickets out of the pool so they can upgrade seats or swap shows. 

I dont play ticket games so I love the new rules. And I love that the intent is to get more fans in the building.

People might be pulling tickets out of the pool, but then what are they doing with their extras?  Mostly putting them back in the pool by posting on here to sell them.
    Exactly. If they were selling them to scalpers that would be one thing. But most if not all will now be sharing with friends or fellow 10C members. I mean, the new rules pretty much cut scalpers right out of the equation, which was definitely not the case when we picked up at will call 5 hours before the show.

"Scalpers" get tickets from either promoters that underwrite the cost of the tour, or venues that have high roller season ticket holders to satisfy. I don't understand why many believe this system keeps out resellers. It may reduce supply on the secondary market. But that market still exists, and the artificially lowered supply (by allowing fans to stockpile tickets at below premium concert market prices) drives up cost for the rest of us.

Unfortunately, PJs rigid ticketing system, with it's many rules and unlimited benefits to the same few fans over and over, drives up resale ticket prices just as much as the traditional way to sell tickets.
    It won't keep out scalpers, because eventually there is a public onsale and scalpers will get them then.  What the 10c does is acquires all the best seats (something I don't think any other fan club does.. most other fan clubs get some good seats, then other seats scattered around the venue).   Bascially what's left over for scalpers at a PJ show, is the nosebleeds.   All the best tickets go to the fans.   Pearl Jam seems to be trying to lock it up so that fan club memberships aren't abused by resellers.   All their left with is the ticketmaster leftovers.

Promoters might still get access to blocks too, but they'll be crappy blocks.   The promoter thing is also a catch 22 for most bands.  The promoter offers the band more than they can actually make on the tickets, so they have sell directly to brokers to make money (and pay the band).   I imagine PJ might be more cognitive if these kinds of things, and reign in some control on the situation.  Especially considering they're saying these shows will have loads of 10c tickets.   They must be good at negotiations :)

Well, a certain subset of fans. They definitely deserve seniority, to some shows, but to base every non lotto ticket, every show, every tour, creates different classes of citizenship here. Seems they did away  with the random rows this year.

Not knowing where your ticket is at decision time, for a stadium show,for fans with low seniority, is a tough spot to be in. Forever :)

I've seen tons of wealthy Corp types (those more interested in socializing while PJs on stage) in  good seats many times. It seems venues and promoters do get access to good seats, as with other bands, that can end up for resale with brokers. I'm not convinced this system is any better than a free market one.
    Post edited by Lerxst1992 on
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,221
    Peyton18 said:
    Could you not just take a screenshot of the ticket and the barcode? Then send it to someone so they could use it! Just wondering
    Probably won't find out the loopholes until we find out the logistics of how it all actually works, including how everything goes down at the 1st show.
  • Options
    Sooo...

I've been following this thread with half a brain. And I'm thinking of the worst case scenario: shut out for tix. No 10C and no general public luck for Seattle.

What then? I will be travelling with people. Do we all need to find a different concert friend and see the show with people we never came to the concert with? Do I just not go? 
    I would make a thread on this site asking to buy tix and put it on Twitter and Facebook too if you use those.  Also sign up for Ticketmaster to text you if more tix become available. You will have several months to find tix. Real worst case of you still don’t have tix a few days before. But even then you’ll find people with extras. Don’t give up and be aggressive. 

Roger that!
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    VanEyckVanEyck Posts: 171
    edited January 2018
    VanEyck said:
    JimmyV said:
    People are always begging them to do something about scalpers. Well...here we are. I have some concerns about how this will all work but I'm willing to give it a shot.
    I'd argue that anything that doesn't require in-person pick-up is way easier for scalpers to infiltrate.  I won't get into details of what problems I see arising here.
    This is my biggest concern as well...

While the new practices have neutralized some opportunities for Ticket-fuckery, this has opened up some new ones. As someone said earlier, there is some ambiguity and hopefully that will dissuade some from trying to game the system, but I doubt it. 
    It depends. Making it harder to transfer tickets can make it harder on the scalpers. They will have two options. 

1. Meet whoever they sell the ticket to and walk them in. Doing so they eat one of the tickets.
    2. Transfer one ticket to the buyer. Also eat the price of one of the tickets. 
    3. They can try to sell a screenshot of the ticket. Who's going to buy a screenshot ticket?
    #2 is the net new issue that makes me the most nervous. For certain shows a GA is gold. It's nothing for a scalper to eat one ticket at face to flip the second one. For previous Wrigley shows, that scalper had to actually be in Chicago. Now nothing stops anyone from making that gamble remotely. 

#3 is also an issue until it's made clear how the ticket is verified and if ID is checked. If not selling a screenshot, sharing creds and logging in as someone else could happen. No matter how much you read the info - there is still a potential gap right there.
    Post edited by VanEyck on
  • Options
    pjl44 said:
    Peyton18 said:
    Could you not just take a screenshot of the ticket and the barcode? Then send it to someone so they could use it! Just wondering
    We're all just guessing how this might work with barcodes, etc. Assuming there will be a loophole sounds like quite the $200 gamble.
    Absolutely - but Stubhub is a model that is based on selling barcodes. If you've ever had the misfortune of buying a ticket to a sold out show from them, you actually get the PDF of the barcode/ticket with the original buyer's name on it. So there is a precedent for this happening. 
  • Options
    RiotZactRiotZact Posts: 6,207
    So basically the only thing keeping scalpers from screenshoting the bar code is the hope that people wouldn’t be dumb enough to buy it?
  • Options
    smaksmak Posts: 226
    Zod said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    smak said:

My point exactly. People are pulling tickets out of the pool so they can upgrade seats or swap shows. 

I dont play ticket games so I love the new rules. And I love that the intent is to get more fans in the building.

People might be pulling tickets out of the pool, but then what are they doing with their extras?  Mostly putting them back in the pool by posting on here to sell them.
    Exactly. If they were selling them to scalpers that would be one thing. But most if not all will now be sharing with friends or fellow 10C members. I mean, the new rules pretty much cut scalpers right out of the equation, which was definitely not the case when we picked up at will call 5 hours before the show.

"Scalpers" get tickets from either promoters that underwrite the cost of the tour, or venues that have high roller season ticket holders to satisfy. I don't understand why many believe this system keeps out resellers. It may reduce supply on the secondary market. But that market still exists, and the artificially lowered supply (by allowing fans to stockpile tickets at below premium concert market prices) drives up cost for the rest of us.

Unfortunately, PJs rigid ticketing system, with it's many rules and unlimited benefits to the same few fans over and over, drives up resale ticket prices just as much as the traditional way to sell tickets.
    It won't keep out scalpers, because eventually there is a public onsale and scalpers will get them then.  What the 10c does is acquires all the best seats (something I don't think any other fan club does.. most other fan clubs get some good seats, then other seats scattered around the venue).   Bascially what's left over for scalpers at a PJ show, is the nosebleeds.   All the best tickets go to the fans.   Pearl Jam seems to be trying to lock it up so that fan club memberships aren't abused by resellers.   All their left with is the ticketmaster leftovers.

Promoters might still get access to blocks too, but they'll be crappy blocks.   The promoter thing is also a catch 22 for most bands.  The promoter offers the band more than they can actually make on the tickets, so they have sell directly to brokers to make money (and pay the band).   I imagine PJ might be more cognitive if these kinds of things, and reign in some control on the situation.  Especially considering they're saying these shows will have loads of 10c tickets.   They must be good at negotiations :)

Well, a certain subset of fans. They definitely deserve seniority, to some shows, but to base every non lotto ticket, every show, every tour, creates different classes of citizenship here. Seems they did away  with the random rows this year.

Not knowing where your ticket is at decision time, for a stadium show,for fans with low seniority, is a tough spot to be in. Forever :)

I've seen tons of wealthy Corp types (those more interested in socializing while PJs on stage) in  good seats many times. It seems venues and promoters do get access to good seats, as with other bands, that can end up for resale with brokers. I'm not convinced this system is any better than a free market one.
    They’ve solved this by putting GA up front. Somebody who joined last week now has the opportunity to be on the rail.  Hours of free time and due dilegence is the great equalizer 
  • Options
    Dbl.
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    Unfortunately Fenway my only hope so no ga for me this year ,:(

Always hope for a golden lotto ticket
  • Options
    RiotZact said:
    So basically the only thing keeping scalpers from screenshoting the bar code is the hope that people wouldn’t be dumb enough to buy it?
    THIS
  • Options
    ^^I recall using TM e tix and it had a moving animation on the ticket. Seems easy to combat fake screenshots.
  • Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,076
    VanEyck said:
    pjl44 said:
    Peyton18 said:
    We're all just guessing how this might work with barcodes, etc. Assuming there will be a loophole sounds like quite the $200 gamble.
    Absolutely - but Stubhub is a model that is based on selling barcodes. If you've ever had the misfortune of buying a ticket to a sold out show from them, you actually get the PDF of the barcode/ticket with the original buyer's name on it. So there is a precedent for this happening. 
    Legit secondary sites aren't going to let people sell screenshots. Anyone trying to acquire a ticket this way would have to go through a channel where they have no recourse.
  • Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,076
    RiotZact said:
    If a screenshot turns out to actually work, I guarantee people will get scammed that way.
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    pjl44 said:
    VanEyck said:
    pjl44 said:
    Peyton18 said:
    Legit secondary sites aren't going to let people sell screenshots. Anyone trying to acquire a ticket this way would have to go through a channel where they have no recourse.
    True - it would have to be Craigslist or something with more latitude. I guess I'm wondering if it really is just a screenshot or a proper ticket that could be added to an apple wallet. There's still the thing about a user just sharing their creds.  
    Post edited by VanEyck on
  • Options
    This may be a long post so sorry in advance but have been reading up on the lottery and ticket process and being new trying to understand.
    I am most interested in wrigley 1 show because of work schedule and really would like to be in ga. So when the lottery drawings are announced would I put wrigley 1 ga as first choice then reserved as second or can u do ga as first and second same show? Sorry if that is really as stupid if a question as it sounds lol. Also I would put in for ga for wrigley 2 but I can't do both shows and that scares me I could do one or the other and would like ga most..but don't want to miss out all together. Not trying to be greedy but first time seeing pj and have been a fan since high school (im old now lol)so this is a huge deal for me and id like to do it right. 
  • Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,449
    This may be a long post so sorry in advance but have been reading up on the lottery and ticket process and being new trying to understand.
    I am most interested in wrigley 1 show because of work schedule and really would like to be in ga. So when the lottery drawings are announced would I put wrigley 1 ga as first choice then reserved as second or can u do ga as first and second same show? Sorry if that is really as stupid if a question as it sounds lol. Also I would put in for ga for wrigley 2 but I can't do both shows and that scares me I could do one or the other and would like ga most..but don't want to miss out all together. Not trying to be greedy but first time seeing pj and have been a fan since high school (im old now lol)so this is a huge deal for me and id like to do it right. 
    Just be aware that you need to have been signed up for the fan club by January 23.  Looking at your profile it shows you joined on the 27th.  You might need to sign up for the Ticketmaster verified fan presale if you’re not going to be eligible for fan club tickets. 
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    on2legs said:
    Just be aware that you need to have been signed up for the fan club by January 23.  Looking at your profile it shows you joined on the 27th.  You might need to sign up for the Ticketmaster verified fan presale if you’re not going to be eligible for fan club tickets. 

• Options
    I had actually been just a general member and upgraded right before the announcements when I was looking for the let's play two bluray. Hopefully everything is ok with my account if it shows the 27th :(
  • Options
    derbydavederbydave Columbus, OH Posts: 11,254
    I had actually been just a general member and upgraded right before the announcements when I was looking for the let's play two bluray. Hopefully everything is ok with my account if it shows the 27th :(

You should be good if you joined on January 22...
    the 27th is probably the date you posted in the forum the first time.
    '96: Seattle: Key Arena
    '98: Seattle: Memorial Stadium 1 & 2
    '00: Columbus: Polaris
    '03: Columbus: Germain
    '10: Columbus: Nationwide Arena
    '11: East Troy: Alpine Valley - PJ20 1 & 2 + EV Detroit
    '12: Missoula + EV Jacksonville 1 & 2
    '13: Chicago / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / Seattle
    '14: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Memphis / Detroit / Moline
    '15: New York City - Global Citizen Festival
    '16: Greenville / Hampton / Raleigh / Columbia / Lexington / Ottawa / Toronto 1 & 2 / Wrigley 1 & 2
    '17: Brooklyn - Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony
    '18: London 1 & 2 / Seattle 1 & 2 / Missoula / Wrigley 1
    '22: Nashville / St. Louis

http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=170

• Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,449
    Just click on your screen name in one of your posts to see your profile.  Glad you made it in.  Good luck!
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    on2legs said:
    Just click on your screen name in one of your posts to see your profile.  Glad you made it in.  Good luck!
    Whew! I think I had a mini stroke...lol thanks guys for clarifying for me. :)
  • Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,810
     Do not put multiple dates down if you want to only go to one show. You will get charged for both and can not get a refund. Put Wrigley 1 GA as your first pick and reserved as your second. Be prepared for a far away seat though with reserved as you are literally at the bottom of the list for seniority.
  • Options
    Thank you. That's what I was afraid of . I have to fly to baltimore for work on the night of the 21st so that would be borderline insanity with all that travel...but I'd be lying to say I'd not considerd it. :) as long as i am there I guess that should be all that matters especially if what is through the ten club even if reserved is probably better than the verified fan etc. Amazing band...good company...
  • Options
    EddieshometownEddieshometown Evanston, IL Posts: 974
    I just noted under the following:

"In order to accommodate more Ten Club members than ever before, please be aware Ten Club seated tickets will be spread further back than usual, and include some of the best seat locations in the house"

Does this mean that more 10c Reserved tickets will be available but they will be further back than usual?  Maybe a concession was made to give up some of the best seats to non-10c memebers (Cubs and Industry VIPs) in exchange for more 10c tickets?
    6/26/98 & 6/27/98 - Alpine Valley, 10/9/00 - Allstate Arena - Rosemont, IL 6/18/2003 - United Center, 5/16/2006 - United Center,
    5/17/2006 - United Center (7th row center, caught Eddie's pick), 6/29/2006 - Summerfest with Tom Petty,
    8/24/2009 - United Center, 7/19/2013 - Wrigley Field, 10/3/2014 - St Louis, 10/17/2014 - Moline (GA), 10/20/2014 - Milwaukee,
    5/14/2015 - Pete Townshend/EV, 8/20/16 & 8/22/16 Wrigley Field Part 2&3, 8/18/18 & 8/20/18 Wrigley Parts 4 & 5, 9/18/2022 - St Louis
  • Options
    ST66483ST66483 Posts: 696
    The other thing I missed here is that those looking for reserved should know their seating locations in July, rather than the day of.  A little bonus to the new system for some.
  • Options
    given2fly23given2fly23 Evanston, IL Posts: 5,882
    Looks like U2 learned their lesson.

"Just received confirmation - #U2eiTour NYC3 will NOT (repeat NOT!) be using Verified Fan for any of the ticket onsales."
    Found: Soundgarden Hyde Park DVD (Thank you for the gift!)
    Posters for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/117469/posters-for-sale
    T-Shirts for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/149289/pj-t-shirt-trade-or-sale
  • Options
    P34RL J4MM3RP34RL J4MM3R Posts: 1,313
    ^^I recall using TM e tix and it had a moving animation on the ticket. Seems easy to combat fake screenshots.
    This person has it.  Because it's going to be an app and not an e-mail or a text, your ticket has to be pulled up on the app.  Once it is pulled up on the app, there will be animations that the people holding the scanners are instructed to look for.  When they see the animations, then they will scan the codes.  If they don't see the animations, they will ask you to pull up the app, if you can't show the animations, they won't scan the static code.  This is how they'll make it harder to sell tix and make the buyer use at least one ticket.

There's no need to say goodbye
  • Options
    nalyd61nalyd61 Boston Posts: 704

• Options
    I think I know another reason for the change in the way tickets are handled.  I think a big reason could have been employment costs.  You need people to sort the tickets, work the will call, and mail the tickets out.  The use of mobile probably saved a few bucks for 10 clubs bottom line.  Not that is all bad, I just hope nobody lost a job.

• Options
    This person has it.  Because it's going to be an app and not an e-mail or a text, your ticket has to be pulled up on the app.  Once it is pulled up on the app, there will be animations that the people holding the scanners are instructed to look for.  When they see the animations, then they will scan the codes.  If they don't see the animations, they will ask you to pull up the app, if you can't show the animations, they won't scan the static code.  This is how they'll make it harder to sell tix and make the buyer use at least one ticket.

And this process is sloooow.

People not ready when they are going to be admitted... fumbling with their phones, people checking tix are slow with the equipment, the equipment stalls or malfunctions...

... the lines begin to form.
    "My brain's a good brain!"