Options

New Ticket Policy Changes Simplified

Comments

• Options
    Not sure if this has been mentioned, but say I have a dozen ticketmaster accounts, technically I can register a dozen times? 
    "This melody, inside of me, still searches for a solution."
  • Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,812
    ^^I recall using TM e tix and it had a moving animation on the ticket. Seems easy to combat fake screenshots.
    This person has it.  Because it's going to be an app and not an e-mail or a text, your ticket has to be pulled up on the app.  Once it is pulled up on the app, there will be animations that the people holding the scanners are instructed to look for.  When they see the animations, then they will scan the codes.  If they don't see the animations, they will ask you to pull up the app, if you can't show the animations, they won't scan the static code.  This is how they'll make it harder to sell tix and make the buyer use at least one ticket.

And this process is sloooow.

People not ready when they are going to be admitted... fumbling with their phones, people checking tix are slow with the equipment, the equipment stalls or malfunctions...

... the lines begin to form.
    Fenway was already bad enough with people getting in their seats in 2016. I fear this year is going to be even worse and that curfew is killer. 
  • Options
    Sprunkn7Sprunkn7 Posts: 5,277
    Yea. my ass is going into Fenway sooner than last time for sure.

Thank you fellow 10 clubber for saving my ass....again!!!
  • Options
    choopchoop Posts: 1,060
    Not sure if this has been mentioned, but say I have a dozen ticketmaster accounts, technically I can register a dozen times? 
    The Jack White codes were the same for each city, so was something else I did this for. 
    "If I should ever die, God forbid, let this be my epitaph: The only proof he needed for the existence of God was music." KV Jr.
  • Options
    Most likely, the system will think you are a bot and you will not get verified and will not receive a code to purchase.
    Gorge
  • Options
    MickeyMouseMickeyMouse Posts: 1,053
    This is exactly what Verified Fan seeks to eliminate (on a much larger level).  When you register for Verified Fan for a specific show or tour, you enter your email, name, and your phone number associated with your account.  If Ticketmaster sees 12 accounts linking to the same phone number, you're likely to get flagged as a scalper and not receive anything.  Now if, for instance, you and your wife both have different phone numbers and TM accounts, that's a different story.  But if you have 12 accounts, you're gonna want to have 12 different valid phone numbers and names for those.
    Uniondale, NY 04/30/03 - Camden, NJ 07/05/03 - MSG 07/08/03 - Reading, PA 10/01/04 - Philly 10/03/05 - Ed Sullivan Theatre 05/04/06 - MSG 06/25/08 - MSG 05/21/10 - NYC (EV solo) 06/21/11 - Montreal 09/07/11 - Brooklyn 10/18/13 - Central Park 09/26/15 - Philly 04/29/16 - MSG 05/01/16 - MSG 05/02/16 - Fenway 08/05/16 - Fenway 09/02/18 - Fenway 09/04/18 
  • Options
    I think I know another reason for the change in the way tickets are handled.  I think a big reason could have been employment costs.  You need people to sort the tickets, work the will call, and mail the tickets out.  The use of mobile probably saved a few bucks for 10 clubs bottom line.  Not that is all bad, I just hope nobody lost a job.

Its evolution baby
  • Options
    ^^I recall using TM e tix and it had a moving animation on the ticket. Seems easy to combat fake screenshots.
    This person has it.  Because it's going to be an app and not an e-mail or a text, your ticket has to be pulled up on the app.  Once it is pulled up on the app, there will be animations that the people holding the scanners are instructed to look for.  When they see the animations, then they will scan the codes.  If they don't see the animations, they will ask you to pull up the app, if you can't show the animations, they won't scan the static code.  This is how they'll make it harder to sell tix and make the buyer use at least one ticket.

People not ready when they are going to be admitted... fumbling with their phones, people checking tix are slow with the equipment, the equipment stalls or malfunctions...

total speculation. I have season tickets that are all digital. Entry is no different than with paper tickets. Takes the same amount of time. 
  • Options

total speculation. I have season tickets that are all digital. Entry is no different than with paper tickets. Takes the same amount of time. 
    I know, but I do have a painful experience with this sort of thing- the only other time a concert I've been to featured such a model.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,931

I know, but I do have a painful experience with this sort of thing- the only other time a concert I've been to featured such a model.
    We always go in early so lines shouldn't be too much of a problem but still. I share your concern.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    Used to go in late... drinking in the parking lot/bar... now I'm an early bird for sure
  • Options
    VanEyckVanEyck Posts: 171
    From the Faithful Form show just aired today:

10c Tickets will be distributed through Ticketmaster. It sounded like for transfers, you'd get a notification and can log in with the App or a browser, and create your account then and there if you didn't already have one.

Assuming that means initially 10c sends a link to the tickets to the lottery winner and they log into TM to get access to the QR Codes...
  • Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,449
    Not sure I’m happy to know that Ticketmaster will be responsible for determining seniority and distributing tickets fairly. 
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    RS151862RS151862 Pittsburgh, PA Posts: 2,625
    on2legs said:
    Not sure I’m happy to know that Ticketmaster will be responsible for determining seniority and distributing tickets fairly. 
    Ticketmaster is just providing the QR to get in. I’m sure 10c will be providing the seat assignments for each 10c ticket. Why does everyone immediately jump to some worst case scenario. 
    Pittsburgh 1998 • Pittsburgh 2006 • 2012 Isle Of Wight Festival • 2012 Made In America Festival • Baltimore 2013 • Seattle 2013
    St. Paul 2014 • Mexico City 2015 • Philadelphia II 2016 • Ottawa 2016 • Amsterdam I & II 2018 • Wrigley Field II 2018 • Phoenix 2022
    Apollo Theater 2022 • Chicago I 2023

• Options
    vant0037vant0037 Posts: 6,075
    Funny that no one - ahem 10c - has seemed to have considered this possibility: that the very thing they trying to fight (scalping of tickets) exists for the sole reason that there are people willing to pay exorbitant amounts of money for tickets to a show.  If someone really wants to get to a PJ show and has the money, what’s to stop them from scalping non fan club tickets on Stubhub?  So if they are 10c members, in theory, this no-resale policy thing could simply result in people who live in a household with multiple accounts, putting in for tickets on each account to ensure they get something, and then reselling the one ticket they can and chalking it up the loss to the cost of getting tickets to a PJ show.  I think a lot of us would be lying (myself included) if I said I haven’t paid over face value for a sold out show I wanted to go to.

Will this result in more tickets in the hands of fans, or more empty single seats?

I’m guessinf the latter with equal amounts of complaining.
    1998-06-30 Minneapolis
    2003-06-16 St. Paul
    2006-06-26 St. Paul
    2007-08-05 Chicago
    2009-08-23 Chicago
    2009-08-28 San Francisco
    2010-05-01 NOLA (Jazz Fest)
    2011-07-02 EV Minneapolis
    2011-09-03 PJ20
    2011-09-04 PJ20
    2011-09-17 Winnipeg
    2012-06-26 Amsterdam
    2012-06-27 Amsterdam
    2013-07-19 Wrigley
    2013-11-21 San Diego
    2013-11-23 Los Angeles
    2013-11-24 Los Angeles
    2014-07-08 Leeds, UK
    2014-07-11 Milton Keynes, UK
    2014-10-09 Lincoln
    2014-10-19 St. Paul
    2014-10-20 Milwaukee
    2016-08-20 Wrigley 1
    2016-08-22 Wrigley 2
    2018-06-18 London 1
    2018-08-18 Wrigley 1
    2018-08-20 Wrigley 2
    2022-09-16 Nashville
    2023-08-31 St. Paul
    2023-09-02 St. Paul
    2023-09-05 Chicago 1
  • Options
    vant0037 said:
    Funny that no one - ahem 10c - has seemed to have considered this possibility: that the very thing they trying to fight (scalping of tickets) exists for the sole reason that there are people willing to pay exorbitant amounts of money for tickets to a show.  If someone really wants to get to a PJ show and has the money, what’s to stop them from scalping non fan club tickets on Stubhub?  So if they are 10c members, in theory, this no-resale policy thing could simply result in people who live in a household with multiple accounts, putting in for tickets on each account to ensure they get something, and then reselling the one ticket they can and chalking it up the loss to the cost of getting tickets to a PJ show.  I think a lot of us would be lying (myself included) if I said I haven’t paid over face value for a sold out show I wanted to go to.

Will this result in more tickets in the hands of fans, or more empty single seats?

Seems like more tickets will go to the real fans, but there's always going to people bitching and moaning. You can't please everybody.
    Worcester1 13, Worcester2 13, Hartford 13, San Diego 13, Los Angeles1 13, Los Angeles2 13
    Trieste 14, Vienna 14, Gdynia 14, Leeds 14, Milton Keynes 14, Denver 14
    Central Park 15
    Fort Lauderdale 16, Miami 16, Tampa 16, Jacksonville 16, Greenville 16, Hampton 16, Columbia 16, Lexington 16, Philly1 16, Philly2 16, NYC1 16, NYC2 16, Quebec City 16, Ottawa 16, Toronto1 16, Toronto2 16, Fenway1 16, Fenway2 16, Wrigley1 16, Wrigley2 16

• Options
    lfitzpatrick9lfitzpatrick9 NJ Posts: 372
    Quick question,

So I’ve been a member since 2016 of January and it was supposed to automatically renew this years membership but then I got an email telling me I needed to update the card on the account which I did and everything is set up correctly now. My question is will this affect me entering the lottery for any of the US stadium shows because that would be super disappointing? 
  • Options
    vant0037 said:

Seems like more tickets will go to the real fans, but there's always going to people bitching and moaning. You can't please everybody.
    That doesnt really address my point. If a “real fan” is in 10c, has disposable income and doesnt care to pay for two sets of tickets to each show, knowing that they can only use one pair and can only resell one ticket from the second pair, isn’t it likely they will still put in for every pair they can, and eat that extra ticket?  Meaning, people who can afford it have an ability if not an incentive to buy up say 3 of every 4 tickets, leaving a single ticket going to waste.

so the question is: does this fix anything?  It disincentivizes regular members from putting in for multiple shows (eg married couples who each have an account) because the risk of getting drawn for tickets you can’t use is too high, which in turn should create more quantities of tickets available. But where do those tickets go?  The remaining accounts, which again, in some part will be people who are willing to “waste” a ticket or pair if it means they will get tickets at all.  This will result in more unused tickets and less tickets being used by “real fans.”

So I agree...you can’t please everyone.  This is a truth that begs the question: what are they fixing with this change?
    1998-06-30 Minneapolis
    2003-06-16 St. Paul
    2006-06-26 St. Paul
    2007-08-05 Chicago
    2009-08-23 Chicago
    2009-08-28 San Francisco
    2011-09-03 PJ20
    2011-09-04 PJ20
    2011-09-17 Winnipeg
    2012-06-26 Amsterdam
    2012-06-27 Amsterdam
    2013-07-19 Wrigley
    2013-11-21 San Diego
    2013-11-23 Los Angeles
    2013-11-24 Los Angeles
    2014-07-08 Leeds, UK
    2014-10-09 Lincoln
    2014-10-19 St. Paul
    2014-10-20 Milwaukee
    2016-08-20 Wrigley 1
    2016-08-22 Wrigley 2
    2018-06-18 London 1
    2018-08-18 Wrigley 1
    2018-08-20 Wrigley 2
    2022-09-16 Nashville
    2023-08-31 St. Paul
    2023-09-02 St. Paul
    2023-09-05 Chicago 1
  • Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,077
    vant0037 said:
    vant0037 said:

That doesnt really address my point. If a “real fan” is in 10c, has disposable income and doesnt care to pay for two sets of tickets to each show, knowing that they can only use one pair and can only resell one ticket from the second pair, isn’t it likely they will still put in for every pair they can, and eat that extra ticket?  Meaning, people who can afford it have an ability if not an incentive to buy up say 3 of every 4 tickets, leaving a single ticket going to waste.

so the question is: does this fix anything?  It disincentivizes regular members from putting in for multiple shows (eg married couples who each have an account) because the risk of getting drawn for tickets you can’t use is too high, which in turn should create more quantities of tickets available. But where do those tickets go?  The remaining accounts, which again, in some part will be people who are willing to “waste” a ticket or pair if it means they will get tickets at all.  This will result in more unused tickets and less tickets being used by “real fans.”

So I agree...you can’t please everyone.  This is a truth that begs the question: what are they fixing with this change?
    They could just transfer it to another fan here, no? Since we're getting them a little further in advance, it might even be more efficient. Cuts out the flake factor when you have to pick up day-of.
  • Options
    pjl44 said:
    vant0037 said:
    vant0037 said:

They could just transfer it to another fan here, no? Since we're getting them a little further in advance, it might even be more efficient. Cuts out the flake factor when you have to pick up day-of.
    You can transfer one ticket from each pair...so for a household of two fans (not uncommon), you use two, transfer one, but eat the other.

Someone please take pro on this. What am I missing?
    1998-06-30 Minneapolis
    2003-06-16 St. Paul
    2006-06-26 St. Paul
    2007-08-05 Chicago
    2009-08-23 Chicago
    2009-08-28 San Francisco
    2011-09-03 PJ20
    2011-09-04 PJ20
    2011-09-17 Winnipeg
    2012-06-26 Amsterdam
    2012-06-27 Amsterdam
    2013-07-19 Wrigley
    2013-11-21 San Diego
    2013-11-23 Los Angeles
    2013-11-24 Los Angeles
    2014-07-08 Leeds, UK
    2014-10-09 Lincoln
    2014-10-19 St. Paul
    2014-10-20 Milwaukee
    2016-08-20 Wrigley 1
    2016-08-22 Wrigley 2
    2018-06-18 London 1
    2018-08-18 Wrigley 1
    2018-08-20 Wrigley 2
    2022-09-16 Nashville
    2023-08-31 St. Paul
    2023-09-02 St. Paul
    2023-09-05 Chicago 1
  • Options
    giventofly69giventofly69 Vancouver Posts: 849
    Is there wifi at Safeco? or will those of us from Canada (with overpriced crappy cell phone plans) need to buy a roaming plan for the US so we can use the app to show the tickets?
    "Your light's reflected now, reflected from afar. We were but stones, your light made us stars."
  • Options
    derbydavederbydave Columbus, OH Posts: 11,254
    Is there wifi at Safeco? or will those of us from Canada (with overpriced crappy cell phone plans) need to buy a roaming plan for the US so we can use the app to show the tickets?

Check with your service provider about this.
    When we traveled to Canada for the Ottawa & Toronto shows in 2016,
    I went in to my Sprint store and asked what I needed to do to have cell service.
    They signed me up for their FREE international plan and walked me thru the process of resetting my phone for the Rogers network in Canada.
    The process was really easy and I got unlimited texts & phone calls plus 1GB of data while we were in Canada.
    '96: Seattle: Key Arena
    '98: Seattle: Memorial Stadium 1 & 2
    '00: Columbus: Polaris
    '03: Columbus: Germain
    '10: Columbus: Nationwide Arena
    '11: East Troy: Alpine Valley - PJ20 1 & 2 + EV Detroit
    '12: Missoula + EV Jacksonville 1 & 2
    '13: Chicago / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / Seattle
    '14: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Memphis / Detroit / Moline
    '15: New York City - Global Citizen Festival
    '16: Greenville / Hampton / Raleigh / Columbia / Lexington / Ottawa / Toronto 1 & 2 / Wrigley 1 & 2
    '17: Brooklyn - Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony
    '18: London 1 & 2 / Seattle 1 & 2 / Missoula / Wrigley 1
    '22: Nashville / St. Louis

http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=170

• Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    We used the verified fan system this morning to buy Elton John tickets... it was a breeze...so far, I'm a believer
  • Options
    JojoRiceJojoRice Kennesaw, GA Posts: 3,970
    my2hands said:
    We used the verified fan system this morning to buy Elton John tickets... it was a breeze...so far, I'm a believer
    I did the same thing!  I feel a lot more comfortable about this option now. Got the Elton tickets that we wanted for the price we were willing to pay.  Still hoping the 10C lottery comes through tho for PJ but it's nice having this as a backup option. 
    "I got memories, I got shit"

ISO 2016 Greenville shirt. Size medium. PM me if you have one for sale/trade.
  • Options
    SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,885
    my2hands said:
    That’s good to hear. I tried to use it for Bruce but never got a code in several tries. 
    severed hand thirteen

2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17
  • Options
    VanEyckVanEyck Posts: 171
    vant0037 said:
    pjl44 said:
    vant0037 said:
    vant0037 said:

You can transfer one ticket from each pair...so for a household of two fans (not uncommon), you use two, transfer one, but eat the other.

This topic gets muddied as people are talking about both 10c tickets and the new Verified Fan thing for the general sale. They are different cases but both have new systems in place.

With respect to 10c tickets I think a few pros are:
    • They don't have to travel around with a couple million dollars in 10c hard tickets in a road case when they go on tour (never thought about this before it came up on the radio show with The Rob and the TM verified fan guy).
    • They don't have to staff up will call for a couple days for a big show (it seemed like a few full time 10c and many local staff at Wrigley/Fenway)
    • No more big will call lineups for fans (in addition to merch and GA lines)
    • In theory it might eventually be faster (but probably not the first few times as people get used to getting their phones ready with the brightness up etc).
    • Limits scalping to a certain degree as the pair of hard tickets are currency the second will call hands them to someone. Now, they can basically track the ticket from initial distribution to the TM account it's scanned from at the door. That's not a perfect system but it's better than the metrics/tracking they had before. 
    • 10c lottery winners get their tickets further in advance of the show
    Some negatives for 10c Tickets are well discussed in the dozen pages above, but the whole thing about juggling tickets in the fan network is half bungled now and for many years this has been the way to get into shows that they weren't able to win in the lottery. You get someone with one spare and another person with a spare and coordinate 2 pairs that are together or 2 couples into GA etc. The scariest one is that ticket #2 is scalp-able as you can transfer it remotely to anyone. At least at the pre-party, you were pretty sure you were dealing with a fan and vice versa. Also there are less surprises about where your tickets are because you get them earlier. This is both good and bad as someone who gets great tickets (and is a scalper) has more time to try to monkey with the couple of system loopholes to make a killing on golden tickets. 

Some pros for Verified Fan for the general sale (according to the Faithful show on Sirius yesterday)... The TM guy says they see Verified Fan as a way that they "Invite" people to a presale and they have the following formula in place to figure out who to invite based on:
    • They try to figure out if you're a scalper if they see that you're buying lots and lots of tickets for other shows (your TM history)
    • They see if you're flipping the tickets you bought on the resale market (they control at least 2 of their own, one is right there on TM)
    • They see if you are trying to generate multiple accounts in their database by cross referencing email, phone numbers etc. 
    • If you hammer away at the system on multiple devices and browsers they shut you down
    • TM says this is an attempt to stop bots as well
    I could go on, but this book report feels long enough already...

• Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,812
    VanEyck said:
    vant0037 said:
    pjl44 said:
    vant0037 said:
    vant0037 said:

This topic gets muddied as people are talking about both 10c tickets and the new Verified Fan thing for the general sale. They are different cases but both have new systems in place.

With respect to 10c tickets I think a few pros are:
    • They don't have to travel around with a couple million dollars in 10c hard tickets in a road case when they go on tour (never thought about this before it came up on the radio show with The Rob and the TM verified fan guy).
    • They don't have to staff up will call for a couple days for a big show (it seemed like a few full time 10c and many local staff at Wrigley/Fenway)
    • No more big will call lineups for fans (in addition to merch and GA lines)
    • In theory it might eventually be faster (but probably not the first few times as people get used to getting their phones ready with the brightness up etc).
    • Limits scalping to a certain degree as the pair of hard tickets are currency the second will call hands them to someone. Now, they can basically track the ticket from initial distribution to the TM account it's scanned from at the door. That's not a perfect system but it's better than the metrics/tracking they had before. 
    • 10c lottery winners get their tickets further in advance of the show
    Some negatives for 10c Tickets are well discussed in the dozen pages above, but the whole thing about juggling tickets in the fan network is half bungled now and for many years this has been the way to get into shows that they weren't able to win in the lottery. You get someone with one spare and another person with a spare and coordinate 2 pairs that are together or 2 couples into GA etc. The scariest one is that ticket #2 is scalp-able as you can transfer it remotely to anyone. At least at the pre-party, you were pretty sure you were dealing with a fan and vice versa. Also there are less surprises about where your tickets are because you get them earlier. This is both good and bad as someone who gets great tickets (and is a scalper) has more time to try to monkey with the couple of system loopholes to make a killing on golden tickets. 

Some pros for Verified Fan for the general sale (according to the Faithful show on Sirius yesterday)... The TM guy says they see Verified Fan as a way that they "Invite" people to a presale and they have the following formula in place to figure out who to invite based on:
    • They try to figure out if you're a scalper if they see that you're buying lots and lots of tickets for other shows (your TM history)
    • They see if you're flipping the tickets you bought on the resale market (they control at least 2 of their own, one is right there on TM)
    • They see if you are trying to generate multiple accounts in their database by cross referencing email, phone numbers etc. 
    • If you hammer away at the system on multiple devices and browsers they shut you down
    • TM says this is an attempt to stop bots as well
    I could go on, but this book report feels long enough already...

Well said on a lot of things. I hope 10 club uses this summer as a trial and fixes all of the problems that it did not intend to have before the presumably big tour in 2019 with the new album coming. 
  • Options
    pearldavidsonpearldavidson PA Posts: 1,356
    Anyone else kinda bummed about not having a traditional ticket stub for keepsake? oh well, whatever works for the best.
  • Options
    This is exactly what Verified Fan seeks to eliminate (on a much larger level).  When you register for Verified Fan for a specific show or tour, you enter your email, name, and your phone number associated with your account.  If Ticketmaster sees 12 accounts linking to the same phone number, you're likely to get flagged as a scalper and not receive anything.  Now if, for instance, you and your wife both have different phone numbers and TM accounts, that's a different story.  But if you have 12 accounts, you're gonna want to have 12 different valid phone numbers and names for those.
    Exactly. This is not a fail safe system by any means. I can have fake names, numbers, addresses etc. Meh

"This melody, inside of me, still searches for a solution."
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,931
    The $45 per ticket processing fees Fenway is charging charging for Billy Joel this morning has me concerned.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."