Options

John McCain

Comments

• Options
    JC29856JC29856 Posts: 9,617
    unsung said:
    None of know John McCain on a personal level, and therefore have no right to speak of him on that level.

What we know is his public life, and his actions that he took as Senator.

So we have the right to criticize everything he did at that capacity, and now the timing is more important than ever.  He doesn't get a pass or a grace period for the criticism not to be given because right now everyone is telling us how he was a hero, and he couldn't have been further from that.  We can't allow a false narrative to be written.

You think McCains sainthood is bad, wait until Kissinger crokes!
    Only is America are war criminals canonized as war heroes.

Wasn't it a "gook" that swam at to save McCain from drowning?
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,006
    Heard that Trump is banned from attending McCains funeral.
  • Options
    Heard that Trump is banned from attending McCains funeral.
    Yes. It's been reported.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    Good.
  • Options
    unsung said:
    Good.
    Don't knock hearing someone just talk about them self during an eulogy before you've tried it.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    This is a good read, I recommend it to all including Obama-boys, Bernie-bros, Trump-tards and Russian sock puppets meddling and influencing democratic elections.

It's a well written well sourced piece, there is something for everyone, it mentions communists, Nazis, Neo Nazis, Nazi collaboratrs, fascists, anti Semites, Fake tapper, Soros, Ocasio-Cortez, lobbyists, terrorists, evil brutal dictators, jihadists, oligarchs and even sodomy. It has something for everyone, well worth your 5 minutes.

https://consortiumnews.com/2018/08/27/the-other-side-of-john-mccain/
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,272
    Rest in peace.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    RIP John McCain. Didn't agree with much of his politics but he was an American hero, and dedicated his life to serving the country.
    Interesting to see Unsung, CM, Meltdown, JC, Donald Trump and Russia all on the same page on this one, taking shots at a dead guy. Easier than a moving target I guess.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    His politics are always open for scrutiny, see my previous please.
  • Options
    A self admitting carpet bombing war criminal. I'm so glad McCain bombed villages and lightbulb factories for my freedoms. 

60 MINUTES

WALLACE: (Voiceover) People who know McCain well say he can hold a grudge. He also has a legendary temper. But if McCain can be hard on his friends and even harder on his enemies, he can also be very hard on himself.

Sen. McCAIN: I m--made serious, serious mistakes and did things wrong when I was in prison, OK?

WALLACE: What did you do wrong in prison?

Sen. McCAIN: I wrote a confession. I was guilty of war crimes against the Vietnamese people. I intentionally bombed women and children.

WALLACE: And you did it because you were being tortured...

Sen. McCAIN: I...

WALLACE: ...and you'd reached the end of the line.

Sen. McCAIN: Yes. But I should have gone further. I should have--I--I never believed that I would--that I would break, and I did.

http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/news/make-believe-maverick-20081016

https://www.counterpunch.org/2015/07/20/the-horrors-of-john-mccain-war-hero-or-war-criminal/

• Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,877
    JC29856 said:
    A self admitting carpet bombing war criminal. I'm so glad McCain bombed villages and lightbulb factories for my freedoms. 

60 MINUTES

WALLACE: (Voiceover) People who know McCain well say he can hold a grudge. He also has a legendary temper. But if McCain can be hard on his friends and even harder on his enemies, he can also be very hard on himself.

Sen. McCAIN: I m--made serious, serious mistakes and did things wrong when I was in prison, OK?

WALLACE: What did you do wrong in prison?

Sen. McCAIN: I wrote a confession. I was guilty of war crimes against the Vietnamese people. I intentionally bombed women and children.

WALLACE: And you did it because you were being tortured...

Sen. McCAIN: I...

WALLACE: ...and you'd reached the end of the line.

Sen. McCAIN: Yes. But I should have gone further. I should have--I--I never believed that I would--that I would break, and I did.

http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/news/make-believe-maverick-20081016

https://www.counterpunch.org/2015/07/20/the-horrors-of-john-mccain-war-hero-or-war-criminal/

How much carpet bombing can you do with an A-4?  I mean if he was piloting a B-52 I could see your point kind of...well not really.  It's an order bud, from your superiors..  it's not like he could have said no.  
    McCain said: "The target list was so restricted that we had to go back and hit the same targets over and over again... Most of our pilots flying the missions believed that our targets were virtually worthless. In all candor, we thought our civilian commanders were complete idiots who didn't have the least notion of what it took to win the war."
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    Has America been on the winning side of a conflict since WW2 ... I mean, you guys should be the best at war ... you've had enough practice.

Not to mention a 700 billion military budget?  You quite literally suck at it ...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    Has America been on the winning side of a conflict since WW2 ... I mean, you guys should be the best at war ... you've had enough practice.

Not to mention a 700 billion military budget?  You quite literally suck at it ...
    Since WW2 "wars" aren't supposed to be won.

• Options
    JC29856 said:

Since WW2 "wars" aren't supposed to be won.

Oh I see.  That's the problem.  Like the 2001 invasion of Afghanistan ... 18 year war... 
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303

White House Releases Moving Statement Honoring Woman Who Called Obama An Arab In 2008

WASHINGTON—In a timely tribute to a woman they are calling a fearless American hero, the White House released a statement Monday recognizing and honoring the woman who called then-presidential candidate Barack Obama an Arab during a town hall event in 2008. “It is with great reverence that we celebrate the courage, life, and work of the woman who told John McCain at a 2008 campaign rally that she couldn’t trust Barack Obama because he was an Arab,” the statement read in part. “Despite the fact that it would have been far easier for her to hold her tongue and remain silent, she bravely stood up for her country and called Obama out for being a foreigner, and in doing so, she truly earned the title of ‘maverick.’ A ruthless defender of patriotism who refused to cower during her shining moment on the national stage, she courageously focused national attention on Obama’s Muslim pedigree. From the bottom of our hearts, we thank you for your service, ma’am.” The statement concluded by saying that her brave and inspiring comments would live on in this country for generations to come.

https://politics.theonion.com/white-house-releases-moving-statement-honoring-woman-wh-1828630290
  • Options
    vaggar99vaggar99 San Diego USA Posts: 3,426
    i've never been told not to attend someone's funeral, but i've got to imagine being told that comes with a strong sense of humility.
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,294
    dignin said:

White House Releases Moving Statement Honoring Woman Who Called Obama An Arab In 2008

WASHINGTON—In a timely tribute to a woman they are calling a fearless American hero, the White House released a statement Monday recognizing and honoring the woman who called then-presidential candidate Barack Obama an Arab during a town hall event in 2008. “It is with great reverence that we celebrate the courage, life, and work of the woman who told John McCain at a 2008 campaign rally that she couldn’t trust Barack Obama because he was an Arab,” the statement read in part. “Despite the fact that it would have been far easier for her to hold her tongue and remain silent, she bravely stood up for her country and called Obama out for being a foreigner, and in doing so, she truly earned the title of ‘maverick.’ A ruthless defender of patriotism who refused to cower during her shining moment on the national stage, she courageously focused national attention on Obama’s Muslim pedigree. From the bottom of our hearts, we thank you for your service, ma’am.” The statement concluded by saying that her brave and inspiring comments would live on in this country for generations to come.

https://politics.theonion.com/white-house-releases-moving-statement-honoring-woman-wh-1828630290
    Oh my what a garbage filled moronic WH & President we have on our hands this man should have the following words attached to his name for ever , Disgusting , Despicable , Dick ....The old racist woman is also a peice of shit ...
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,106
    It was an Onion article 
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options

Kuwait/Iraq 1991? We didn’t lose in korea. Hell you could say we technically didn’t lose Vietnam since we pulled out in 1973.  Iraq 2003? Panama? Grenada? 
    The Cold War? Bosnia and Kosovo? Somalia?
  • Options
    OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,823
    vaggar99 said:
    i've never been told not to attend someone's funeral, but i've got to imagine being told that comes with a strong sense of humility.
    But it's probably lost on anyone that would do anything to get un-invited to a funeral.
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Options
    vaggar99vaggar99 San Diego USA Posts: 3,426
    OnWis97 said:
    vaggar99 said:
    But it's probably lost on anyone that would do anything to get un-invited to a funeral.
    probably so.  i'd imagine he's got to be at least jealous that Obama and Pence are going.
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,294
    It was an Onion article 
    damn not paying attention today i've been duped oh well but i wouldn't put this past them at all , after all the flag was only at half staff for like three hrs , McCain didn't see the moon for three yrs while in captivity damn ...
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    vaggar99 said:
    OnWis97 said:
    vaggar99 said:
    probably so.  i'd imagine he's got to be at least jealous that Obama and Pence are going.
    Obama has been asked by the family to give a eulogy. That should really piss off that orange birther.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    It was an Onion article 
    damn not paying attention today i've been duped oh well but i wouldn't put this past them at all , after all the flag was only at half staff for like three hrs , McCain didn't see the moon for three yrs while in captivity damn ...
    3 hours are you sure?  I read they followed the correct protocol?
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    It was an Onion article 
    WHat does it say about your character when you are offered to be set free after months of being tortured and you say no because you don’t want Guys to Be left behind. 
  • Options
    White House Returns Flag to Half-Staff for John McCain, as the Senator Gets a Last Word

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/27/us/politics/flag-half-staff-mccain-trump.html

It's lowered.

Protocol was followed ... but people are pretty delicate these days...

Flags at half-staff: What are the guidelines and precedents to follow?

https://abc7news.com/politics/flags-at-half-staff-what-are-the-guidelines/4067918/

As McCain was a U.S. senator, the proclamation instructs that flags be lowered on the day of his death and the day after. McCain passed away on Saturday, and the White House reportedly raised the flags back right around midnight overnight as Sunday ended, which would be the minimum amount of time as outlined by Eisenhower's proclamation.

But you know this war hero/monger should get special treatment...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    It is odd watching the left defend him politically.
  • Options

Who really wins in war though?

The better question is when is the last time America fought in a war that actually defended the freedoms of Americans?
  • Options
    unsung said:

Who really wins in war though?

The better question is when is the last time America fought in a war that actually defended the freedoms of Americans?
    Good question. I would say Afghanistan in response to 9/11.  If we didn't attack who knows what else those guys could have planned.  
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,716
    unsung said:
    It is odd watching the left defend him politically.
    vs

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.