John McCain

Comments

• fifefife Posts: 3,327
    fife said:
    very interesting article but to be honest, I do get tired of people blaming him for trump because he picked Palin.  the Blame for Trump should be placed squarely on the public and no one else.
    The blame for Trump should be on his parents for not aborting him.
    yikes
    I do not not know anything about Trumps parents ... nothing about the Trump family leads me to believe they were good parents, Trump behaves like he has never  heard the word no and was given whatever he wants...they are the worst parents.
    calling someone the worst parents after saying you don't know anything about them is irrational. 
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited August 2018
    Yes, McCain fucked up really bad with Palin.... to an unforgivable extent, IMO, even if you do like war. I mean, his decision to have Palin by his side wasn't just a mistake, as he would have had you believe in later years. It was a very, very carefully thought out decision. He weighed all aspects, and went with the decision that was clearly bad for Americans as far as anyone with his intelligence is concerned, but thought it was still best for his chance of winning at the time (that part is the mistake). He sure didn't put America first as far as that goes... That is why I have raised doubts about his rejection of Trump. I think he showed us that he actually is willing to put his career and personal position before what's best for America, and it was only when he didn't have a future career anymore that he saw fit to actually do what's right (kinda).

That said, no, Trump is not McCain's fault, that's just silly. Trump is the fault of the voters. They are the ones who let Palin and everything that came after turn them dumb.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,936
    PJ_Soul said:
    Yes, McCain fucked up really bad with Palin.... to an unforgivable extent, IMO, even if you do like war. I mean, his decision to have Palin by his side wasn't just a mistake, as he would have had you believe in later years. It was a very, very carefully thought out decision. He weighed all aspects, and went with the decision that was clearly bad for Americans as far as anyone with his intelligence is concerned, but thought it was still best for his chance of winning at the time (that part is the mistake). He sure didn't put America first as far as that goes... That is why I have raised doubts about his rejection of Trump. I think he showed us that he actually is willing to put his career and personal position before what's best for America, and it was only when he didn't have a future career anymore that he saw fit to actually do what's right (kinda).

That said, no, Trump is not McCain's fault, that's just silly. Trump is the fault of the voters. They are the ones who let Palin and everything that came after turn them dumb.
    Yeah but at the time they were in a losing position.  Like no hope position.  They needed a "Game Changer" to even have a shot.

McCain got bad advice and unfortunately took it.  But he also knew that Palin was an idiot.  That's why she isn't invited to his funeral.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Drowned OutDrowned Out Posts: 6,056
    edited August 2018

Aaahhhh I guess WaPo sucks at whitewashing legacies...unreal.  Human rights champion?
    Post edited by Drowned Out on
    PJ_Soul said:

Yeah but at the time they were in a losing position.  Like no hope position.  They needed a "Game Changer" to even have a shot.

McCain got bad advice and unfortunately took it.  But he also knew that Palin was an idiot.  That's why she isn't invited to his funeral.
    McCain is smarter than that. He didn't just blindly take bad advice. I know that's what he claims. I just don't believe it for a second. That man did not just go around blindly taking bad advice, especially not when it involved the most important thing that ever happened to him. And yes, he put a "game changer" for his own success ahead of what was best for Americans. That was exactly my point.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

McCain is smarter than that. He didn't just blindly take bad advice. I know that's what he claims. I just don't believe it for a second. That man did not just go around blindly taking bad advice, especially not when it involved the most important thing that ever happened to him. And yes, he put a "game changer" for his own success ahead of what was best for Americans. That was exactly my point.
    McCain's first choice was a non-starter for him. He wanted to have (Independent-Democrat) Joe Lieberman as his running mate. That would have left him with zero traction in his own party. He also interviewed Romney at the time, who in hindsiight would have been a much better choice but wanted to play on his maverick reputation and was avoiding the obvious choices. Instead he was presented with Palin who was seen as a "maverick" on the state level just as he was on the national level. She countered McCain's old white guy image, and had even been part of a Vogue magazine feature. She was polling higher than Obama and Biden right after her selection. She was loved by Catholics and outspoken in her support of Israel. So she ticked a few important boxes. But she was such a newcomer, that they hadn't properly vetted her, and didn't realize that she'd come off more like Kelly Anne Conway than a VP candidate. In hindsight it was absolutely an atrocious decision. But at the time, before Tina Fey "And I can see Russia from my house", before her national media interviews (like Gibson and Couric), before anyone other than Alaskans knew her, she seemed like a reasonable choice. McCain placed a bet on a long shot and lost as soon as she opened her mouth.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
    jeffbr said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

McCain's first choice was a non-starter for him. He wanted to have (Independent-Democrat) Joe Lieberman as his running mate. That would have left him with zero traction in his own party. He also interviewed Romney at the time, who in hindsiight would have been a much better choice but wanted to play on his maverick reputation and was avoiding the obvious choices. Instead he was presented with Palin who was seen as a "maverick" on the state level just as he was on the national level. She countered McCain's old white guy image, and had even been part of a Vogue magazine feature. She was polling higher than Obama and Biden right after her selection. She was loved by Catholics and outspoken in her support of Israel. So she ticked a few important boxes. But she was such a newcomer, that they hadn't properly vetted her, and didn't realize that she'd come off more like Kelly Anne Conway than a VP candidate. In hindsight it was absolutely an atrocious decision. But at the time, before Tina Fey "And I can see Russia from my house", before her national media interviews (like Gibson and Couric), before anyone other than Alaskans knew her, she seemed like a reasonable choice. McCain placed a bet on a long shot and lost as soon as she opened her mouth.
    I remember the whole thing like it was yesterday, and I disagree that she seemed like a reasonable choice, and I remember a whole bunch of people calling it right away. McCain's not that dumb... at best, he chose to ignore it because all he could see was the finish line. That's not the kind of person I can admire.
  • jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    I'm certainly not defending his choice, and I didn't vote for him/them. I just mean it is a much clearer fail in hindsight. If your running mate is out-polling both of the players on the opposing ticket and is seen as a rising star, then it adds youth and appeal to what otherwise would have been a stodgy ticket. There were definitely worse choices he could have made, but not many. Had he picked Romney he might have made a better showing. But to blame McCain for Trump's rise because he picked Palin as a running mate is a dumb as blaming Dems for Trump because of the way they would demonize any reasonable GOP candidate (like a Romney), and because they put up one of the only people on the face of the earth who could have lost to Trump. The blame for Trump lies squarely on the non-voters, and the low-information voters who voted for him.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,072
    When asked how he could reconcile being friends with John McCain and work with Fo and Trump, Lindsey graham said this...

“Asked by Bash how he squares his close friendship with McCain to his new relationship with Trump, Graham said, "If you know anything about me, I want to be relevant.”

straight up admits it. I hate politicians 
    hippiemom = goodness
  • BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,524
    JC29856 said:
    McCain was so crazed about killing, he killed even by accident!

https://prepareforchange.net/2017/09/11/navy-releases-mccains-records-mccain-was-personally-responsible-for-the-deadliest-fire-in-the-history-of-the-us-navy/

McCain was personally responsible for the deadliest fire in the history of the US Navy. That catastrophe, with 27 dead and over 100 wounded

Prepareforchange??

That is some serious sky is falling,  earth is flat, end of the world lunacy.
    Straight up cuckoo for cocoa puffs insanity

Guess we shouldn't be surprised considering the source
  • Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,480
    JC29856 said:
    McCain was so crazed about killing, he killed even by accident!

https://prepareforchange.net/2017/09/11/navy-releases-mccains-records-mccain-was-personally-responsible-for-the-deadliest-fire-in-the-history-of-the-us-navy/

McCain was personally responsible for the deadliest fire in the history of the US Navy. That catastrophe, with 27 dead and over 100 wounded

Prepareforchange??

That is some serious sky is falling,  earth is flat, end of the world lunacy.
    Straight up cuckoo for cocoa puffs insanity

Guess we shouldn't be surprised considering the source
    D’ing, D’ing, D’ing goes the resident road kill skolar. Shoulda walked the cow instead of running it over and eating it.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    PJ_Soul said:

Couldn't it just be a rejection of Hillary Clinton? Nah, couldn't be.
  • unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    Sarah Palin, no matter what anyone here thinks of her, always stood by McCain even after the election.  She was hurt deeply when he said she was a mistake.

She also just received notice that she is not invited to the funeral.  Even in death McCain remains a sad and pitiful human being.
  • JC29856JC29856 Posts: 9,617
    unsung said:
    Sarah Palin, no matter what anyone here thinks of her, always stood by McCain even after the election.  She was hurt deeply when he said she was a mistake.

She also just received notice that she is not invited to the funeral.  Even in death McCain remains a sad and pitiful human being.
    I don't think Cindy wants her there for some reason, not sure why thou.

Well, that explains it.  Jealousy is a wicked game.
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,936
    jeffbr said:
    I'm certainly not defending his choice, and I didn't vote for him/them. I just mean it is a much clearer fail in hindsight. If your running mate is out-polling both of the players on the opposing ticket and is seen as a rising star, then it adds youth and appeal to what otherwise would have been a stodgy ticket. There were definitely worse choices he could have made, but not many. Had he picked Romney he might have made a better showing. But to blame McCain for Trump's rise because he picked Palin as a running mate is a dumb as blaming Dems for Trump because of the way they would demonize any reasonable GOP candidate (like a Romney), and because they put up one of the only people on the face of the earth who could have lost to Trump. The blame for Trump lies squarely on the non-voters, and the low-information voters who voted for him.
    Exactly .. The goal was to win and they needed a curve ball 
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    When asked how he could reconcile being friends with John McCain and work with Fo and Trump, Lindsey graham said this...

“Asked by Bash how he squares his close friendship with McCain to his new relationship with Trump, Graham said, "If you know anything about me, I want to be relevant.”

Does that include Lindsey? Because he wants to stay, “relevant.”

https://money.cnn.com/2018/07/25/pf/coming-out-at-work/index.html

09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Brilliantati©
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    edited August 2018
    I was visiting with some friends this last weekend who I've known and been friends with from elementary school and the topic turned to McCain. They both began talking about how much they respected him and how great he was. I mentioned how I had not been a fan of his in particular, but thought he had shown some good qualities, particularly when he stood up for Obama when he was being called a foreigner by the hardcore racist republican voters. The topic turned to when he ran for president and I was surprised to hear they had both voted for him in 2008. I brought up the Palin side of the argument and how he completely lost all respect when he chose her as a running mate. They stayed silent on that and our conversation moved on. It was clear that I was the minority after hearing they also voted Gary Johnson in 2016. I guess the point I am getting at, is that I remember vehemently being against McCain as president and had never been involved in so many arguments/discussions with people who supported him. It was worse than Bush because there was actually a great candidate, Obama, for once.

Ah darn, seems I monkeyed up the quote feature...
    Post edited by tbergs on
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808

I understood that to mean he wanted to be involved. not in the limelight. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

unsung said:

I heard that and found that to be quite odd. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

Ok you got me. I have no idea what your point is here.

Ummmm yeah I was saying I hate Lindsey graham and him admitting his biggest concern is staying relevant.
    hippiemom = goodness
    unsung said:

She ended up being a pretty divisive character. Why would he have to have her there? We know that pres candidates pick VP candidates for reasons....friendship usually ain’t one of those reasons.
    hippiemom = goodness

I understood that to mean he wanted to be involved. not in the limelight. 
    He was asked about being friends with John and working with trump. He said he could be friends with someone and work with his friends enemy as long as it helps him remain relevant. Meaning he will work with trump not because of political alignment or ideals, but because he wants to keep his job, even if it means going against those ideals....that’s what I took it to mean anyhow. Perhaps wrong, I read it a while ago now and my memory ain’t grand all the time.
    hippiemom = goodness

Ok you got me. I have no idea what your point is here.

Ummmm yeah I was saying I hate Lindsey graham and him admitting his biggest concern is staying relevant.
    Put two and two together. And no, I’m not attacking you.

Brilliantati©
    unsung said:

She ended up being a pretty divisive character. Why would he have to have her there? We know that pres candidates pick VP candidates for reasons....friendship usually ain’t one of those reasons.
    he didn't HAVE to have her there, it just seems odd to me. many of these invites are for PR reasons only. it seems weird to me he'd exclude his presidential running mate. it would have been a nice gesture, but hey, who knows what their personal relationship was. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• fifefife Posts: 3,327
    unsung said:
    Well, that explains it.  Jealousy is a wicked game.
    just so I understand, you think Cindy didn't want Palin there cause of Jealousy? 
    edited August 2018
    jeffbr said:
    Yes, sorry, I meant to say "eligible voters". They are responsible for Trump.... Mainly Dems and all others who didn't want Trump to win but who didn't vote or refused to vote strategically to keep Trump out of the WH. Them and their precious "consciences". But McCain's pathetic Palin choice probably did have a role in Trump getting to that point. We probably all understand the influence Palin (shockingly and bizarrely) had in the rise of Tea Party type populism, which probably did ultimately lead to a Trump WH. Of course, we don't know if that wouldn't have happened anyhow, one way or another, and we never will. I definitely don't directly blame McCain for Trump. But I definitely directly blame him for Palin, obviously.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    PJ_Soul said:
    jeffbr said:
    Yes, sorry, I meant to say "eligible voters". They are responsible for Trump.... Mainly Dems and all others who didn't want Trump to win but who didn't vote or refused to vote strategically to keep Trump out of the WH. Them and their precious "consciences". But McCain's pathetic Palin choice probably did have a role in Trump getting to that point. We probably all understand the influence Palin (shockingly and bizarrely) had in the rise of Tea Party type populism, which probably did ultimately lead to a Trump WH. Of course, we don't know if that wouldn't have happened anyhow, one way or another, and we never will. I definitely don't directly blame McCain for Trump. But I definitely directly blame him for Palin, obviously.
    i don't think anyone was ever DIRECTLY blaming McCain for Trump, just in an influential way, as you stated. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

edited August 2018
    PJ_Soul said:
    jeffbr said:
    i don't think anyone was ever DIRECTLY blaming McCain for Trump, just in an influential way, as you stated. 
    I didn't think so either, but from jeffbr's post there, it made me think maybe some people were! ... I mean, there probably are I guess, lol, in this brave new mad mad world.
    Say what you will about John McCain but his 106 year old mother is a young whippersnapper. Apparently, after being denied a rental car in Europe because of her age, she bought one. At 100 years old. That’s a woman I’d do shots with. We should all be so full of “can do.”

Brilliantati©