Options

Christmas Single

Comments

• Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,141
    MedozK said:
    How many of these are we behind now? I find it hilarious that I actually don’t know. 
    Same! Haha! 1, maybe 2? Merry Christmas Medoz! 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,687
    Maybe someday we'll get a whole box set of singles!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    brewdog123brewdog123 ATL Posts: 635
    MedozK said:
    How many of these are we behind now? I find it hilarious that I actually don’t know. 
    Going on number 3
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,532
    edited December 2018

This is a link to a post this month from Bruce Springsteen.  Sounds like the old rumor pit except straight from the horse's mouth.  No E Street tour in 2019. 

http://brucespringsteen.net/   You have to hit the link or scroll down to the Dec. 4th post.

My two cents:  The tickets are the most important part of the fan club membership followed by this message board.  I don't know that I've really liked any of the last few holiday singles so I am not going to get worked up over missing them.  I probably should switch to digital membership. 

Post edited by bootlegger10 on
  • Options
    MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
    MedozK said:
    Merry Christmas to you also!
  • Options
    radarradar Posts: 768
    MedozK said:
    I would say we did not received 2017 and 2018
  • Options
    Well, Christmas isn't about the material gifts anyway.

Right guys ... right ...?
    My parent's attic - 2018
    My college dorm - 2019
  • Options
    FR181798FR181798 Posts: 2,164

This is a link to a post this month from Bruce Springsteen.  Sounds like the old rumor pit except straight from the horse's mouth.  No E Street tour in 2019. 

http://brucespringsteen.net/   You have to hit the link or scroll down to the Dec. 4th post.

My two cents:  The tickets are the most important part of the fan club membership followed by this message board.  I don't know that I've really liked any of the last few holiday singles so I am not going to get worked up over missing them.  I probably should switch to digital membership. 

But if PJ never play anywhere near you the ticket lottery means zero. I would never pay to post on a forum. Exclusive vinyl is all Im in it for. Due to my subscription date I dont even get the t shirt in the year they print on it. I get it end of Jan or Feb the following year. 
  • Options
    deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    edited December 2018

But if you pay for it it isn't a gift, right?  Isn't that an obligation?  :i_dunno:
    Post edited by deadendp on
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • Options
    I'm not banking on the lost years ever amounting to anything. If some 45s show up at my door then great. If not... then oh well I guess. To me, they're novelty items and if I'm being honest... I haven't spun one yet. It's a lot of action for four  minutes of music.

That being said... I did change my membership level. I definitely want to be part of the 10C, but I don't feel like tossing money out the window if they struggle to hold up their end of the deal.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    JojoRiceJojoRice Kennesaw, GA Posts: 3,919
    FR181798 said:

But if PJ never play anywhere near you the ticket lottery means zero. I would never pay to post on a forum. Exclusive vinyl is all Im in it for. Due to my subscription date I dont even get the t shirt in the year they print on it. I get it end of Jan or Feb the following year. 
    You can get your subscription date changed. Just email 10C and they’ll switch it for you. 
    "I got memories, I got shit"

ISO 2016 Greenville shirt. Size medium. PM me if you have one for sale/trade.
  • Options
    JojoRice said:
    FR181798 said:

You can get your subscription date changed. Just email 10C and they’ll switch it for you. 
    And I would if they actually delivered, as it is I only paid the 2017 subscription in Dec 2017. Some folks paid it in Jan 2017. If Im this fed up I can imagine they are very unhappy.
  • Options
    FR181798 said:

I am fortunate enough to be able to travel to see Pearl Jam and essentially make it my vacation.  So the lottery is still very helpful.  I don't even order the free shirts anymore. 
  • Options
    Lost In OhioLost In Ohio Posts: 6,766
    edited December 2018
    MedozK said:

One, being the 2017 single.

The smart move would be for them to do a double single of Eddie's set from earlier this month as the 2017/2018 single.
    Post edited by Lost In Ohio on
    Presidential Advice from President-Elect Mike McCready: "Are you getting something out of this all encompassing trip?"
  • Options
    epieepie Posts: 290
    Why are people still referring to this as a Christmas single.  I think those days are gone.
    1996 - Columbia, MD & Augusta, ME
    2013 - Worcester, MA (Lightning Bolt Release)
    2016 - Fenway Park I and II
    2017 - HSCM (EV) Boston, MA
    2018 - Seattle I, Fenway Park I and II
    2021 - Ohana Festival (EV/EV/PJ)
    2022 - EV (Beacon Theater II & Newark)
    2023 - Austin, TX I & II
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,687
    deadendp said:

But if you pay for it it isn't a gift, right?  Isn't that an obligation?  :i_dunno:
    Exactly. 

This isn't about how great Pearl Jam is to us fans or what a great band they are or Christmas not being about material things.  It's about, "You offered me such-and-such for so much money, I paid you it, and you did not deliver."  If I send Joe_eBay_Seller money for a record and it doesn't show up, should I just say, "Oh well, I'll be a nice guy and let Joe keep my money anyway"?  Unless Joe has become destitute or the victim of a flood or fire or something similar, I don't think so.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    edited December 2018
    epie said:
    Why are people still referring to this as a Christmas single.  I think those days are gone.
    They are, it's "annual single" now.  This is why I can't wrap my head around people refuting my proposal that it should be in production and ready to ship shortly after the year STARTS, not when it ENDS (and especially not 2-3 years later).
  • Options
    MedozK said:

The smart move would be for them to do a double single of Eddie's set from earlier this month as the 2017/2018 single.
    We're behind two, 2017 and 2018.  And the smart move would be for them to not be years behind.
  • Options
    Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,046
    brianlux said:
    deadendp said:

Exactly. 

This isn't about how great Pearl Jam is to us fans or what a great band they are or Christmas not being about material things.  It's about, "You offered me such-and-such for so much money, I paid you it, and you did not deliver."  If I send Joe_eBay_Seller money for a record and it doesn't show up, should I just say, "Oh well, I'll be a nice guy and let Joe keep my money anyway"?  Unless Joe has become destitute or the victim of a flood or fire or something similar, I don't think so.
    Exactly. Even if joe is the coolest, nicest guy around. I’m not interested in paying for something and then not receiving what I paid for. And a little communication would go a long way. Even if it is a “pressing plants are backed up” or “sorry but we don’t have a timeline on the annual single but we will deliver what’s promised eventually.”  The silence on 10c side is a bit frustrating 
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,087
    Hahahaha the fact if the matter is if over half of your fan base doesn’t even remember how many fan club singles you are behind in providing them....that’s a big problem.  The expectations have been lowering for years. And now they’ve completely ignored it for at least 1 full year of membership benefits. 

Im betting that the verbiage of the single will disappear quietly from the description of the fan club membership. I recently paid for analog again, since it’s on auto renewal it just happens. But I do think this is likely my last year. I’ll continue digital for chance at tickets which is amazing and the main reason I’m here anyhow...oh and I guess since I have to pay to post on the messageboard as well...which is kinda bullshit, but whatever.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    I don't really see this as paying to post on a message board, but really is just a privilege as a member of the fan club.  10c is probably just trying to control who can post versus trying to make a profit off of the use of the site.
  • Options
    MedozK said:

I don't agree with this. Ed is not Pearl Jam. I wasn't impressed with his duet with Beyonce. 
  • Options
    MedozK said:

I don't agree with this. Ed is not Pearl Jam. I wasn't impressed with his duet with Beyonce. 
    I know they did one in the past but I don't think they can do double singles with so many dropping analog and switching to digital etc. And not being analog for both years, that wouldnt exactly be fair either. They probably don't think of themselves as 2 years behind as they delivered something in 2018 (albeit the 2016). It's not just the 7". They would need to deliver 2 copies of deep because they also go out with the single to save a huge amount on postage. Considering the amount of recordings they have, I would bet it's Deep magazine that slows the whole process. Probably most cost effective to ship them all out in one go although they ship the Ts separately. Definitely time for a rethink.

• Options
    stratmadstratmad Posts: 208
    After many years as an analogue member, it really is time to call time and be more savvy with my money.  I’ve finally accepted the fact, after realizing for a long time, that Pearl Jam just don’t use Pearl Jam as their primary outlet for new art or as the main vehicle for their other endeavors. Ed plays his solo shows, goes to baseball games and does charity work. The other guys are less visible generally and will pop up here and there to, say, promote a cause. All of it is great but whatever new art they’re doing it’s not as PJ and is otherwise selectively shared with the public, shall we say. They play a handful of shows a year together, mostly the old stuff to a hardcore fan base, Iike most legacy acts do and then disappear.  

As a long time fan I’d love some regular new music and active engagement with the fans as a typical working band generally does, but I’ve resigned myself to the fact that those days of a new album / tour cycle are long gone. 
  • Options
    FR181798 said:
    MedozK said:

I know they did one in the past but I don't think they can do double singles with so many dropping analog and switching to digital etc. And not being analog for both years, that wouldnt exactly be fair either. They probably don't think of themselves as 2 years behind as they delivered something in 2018 (albeit the 2016). It's not just the 7". They would need to deliver 2 copies of deep because they also go out with the single to save a huge amount on postage. Considering the amount of recordings they have, I would bet it's Deep magazine that slows the whole process. Probably most cost effective to ship them all out in one go although they ship the Ts separately. Definitely time for a rethink.

It is certainly time to restructure the 10C membership and its benefits.  The "current" (aka two years behind) system just isn't working.  I don't know if it's Deep or the 7" causing the delays, I tend to think it's both.  Deep mag had a good run but it's kind of pointless in this day and age.  We get monthly newsletters and other various emails with information on the band, their causes, etc.  Some months are more informative than others, but that's the nature of the business.  Can the magazine, can the "annual" single, and make it so we actually receive the tangible benefits in a timely, consistent manner.
    We see new merch on almost a monthly basis. And they have at least been stable with putting the Vaults out annually at the same time.  No reason why they can't work something out with the Vault and a soft good for membership benefits, throw in a sticker, keychain, or some other small item for good measure.  You could even keep the digital and analog levels - digital gets a Vault CD, analog gets the vinyl.  Obviously the cost would be adjusted but I know I would gladly pay a little more to 1) have better benefits and 2) have benefits that could actually be delivered.
  • Options
    stratmad said:
    After many years as an analogue member, it really is time to call time and be more savvy with my money.  I’ve finally accepted the fact, after realizing for a long time, that Pearl Jam just don’t use Pearl Jam as their primary outlet for new art or as the main vehicle for their other endeavors. Ed plays his solo shows, goes to baseball games and does charity work. The other guys are less visible generally and will pop up here and there to, say, promote a cause. All of it is great but whatever new art they’re doing it’s not as PJ and is otherwise selectively shared with the public, shall we say. They play a handful of shows a year together, mostly the old stuff to a hardcore fan base, Iike most legacy acts do and then disappear.  

As a long time fan I’d love some regular new music and active engagement with the fans as a typical working band generally does, but I’ve resigned myself to the fact that those days of a new album / tour cycle are long gone. 

You are correct.  I've read several articles over the last 10 years or so where they admire bands like the Rolling Stones.  Well, they are more like the Rolling Stones now than 2000 Pearl Jam.  When I think of the Rolling Stones I think of a band that doesn't release new music (or anything outstanding or that pushes new ground) and tours every 3-4 years for the cash and probably some enjoyment.  Pearl Jam spreads a bigger tour every 3 years over smaller tours each year.  They don't release new music and the music they do release is 50% great and 50% blah.  Pearl Jam shows are amazing and fun, but it is not new ground.  We are in the nostalgia phase or just entering. 

This is all fine and dandy. They've been a band for 28 years and we couldn't really expect much more than this. 

This is the main reason I'm liquidating my collection.  What I'm keeping is documenting trips and memories, but I don't look at a Pearl Jam shirt or poster like I did in 1995 when they were a current band that was passionate about making new music. 

• Options
    RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,142
    stratmad said:

You are correct.  I've read several articles over the last 10 years or so where they admire bands like the Rolling Stones.  Well, they are more like the Rolling Stones now than 2000 Pearl Jam.  When I think of the Rolling Stones I think of a band that doesn't release new music (or anything outstanding or that pushes new ground) and tours every 3-4 years for the cash and probably some enjoyment.  Pearl Jam spreads a bigger tour every 3 years over smaller tours each year.  They don't release new music and the music they do release is 50% great and 50% blah.  Pearl Jam shows are amazing and fun, but it is not new ground.  We are in the nostalgia phase or just entering. 

This is all fine and dandy. They've been a band for 28 years and we couldn't really expect much more than this. 

This is the main reason I'm liquidating my collection.  What I'm keeping is documenting trips and memories, but I don't look at a Pearl Jam shirt or poster like I did in 1995 when they were a current band that was passionate about making new music. 

Well said
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • Options
    stratmad said:

Well said

Agreed. I'd even throw a 'very' (well said) in there.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    stratmad said:

That's where I am as well. PJ's best years as a band are behind them. The band members aren't as focused on the band. Ed is chasing stardom outside of the band. Mike is working with a lot of musicians and doing a ton of projects. Jeff released a solo album recently and RNDM before that. Matt has been working on other things. I'm sure Stone is doing a lot of charity work. These guys are not focused on making new music for PJ or doing larger tours. They've cranked up the merch and do a few big shows to keep some cash flowing. But PJ is not their primary focus, and the 10c is even less of a focus I imagine. That doesn't excuse Tim Bierman's lack of focus and interest in 10c and its members, but I understand why the band probably doesn't pay much attention anymore. I'm looking forward to anything new the band puts out, but Pearl Jam has definitely achieved "legacy" status at this point and new music isn't a primary driver or focus for them.

Wish I hadn't renewed as analog recently. Digital for me next year.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,087
    jeffbr said:
    stratmad said:

That's where I am as well. PJ's best years as a band are behind them. The band members aren't as focused on the band. Ed is chasing stardom outside of the band. Mike is working with a lot of musicians and doing a ton of projects. Jeff released a solo album recently and RNDM before that. Matt has been working on other things. I'm sure Stone is doing a lot of charity work. These guys are not focused on making new music for PJ or doing larger tours. They've cranked up the merch and do a few big shows to keep some cash flowing. But PJ is not their primary focus, and the 10c is even less of a focus I imagine. That doesn't excuse Tim Bierman's lack of focus and interest in 10c and its members, but I understand why the band probably doesn't pay much attention anymore. I'm looking forward to anything new the band puts out, but Pearl Jam has definitely achieved "legacy" status at this point and new music isn't a primary driver or focus for them.

Wish I hadn't renewed as analog recently. Digital for me next year.
    All this makes so much sense. My 1 hangup is i would like to get the singles that I’ve already paid for, and based on their operations I’m very concerned that they will be able to provide them to me if I’m not a current analog. I know, probably stupid. But if I do think about it next October I agree, unless something changes, digital for me. 
    hippiemom = goodness
This discussion has been closed.