Christmas Single

Comments

• jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    Get_Right said:
    Get_Right said:
    surforia said:
    This is why we can't have nice things.
    Hilarious and there probably some truth to it. What started out as a cool way to reward fans and promote vinyl turned into an angry mob full of merch hoarders and flippers bad mouthing the 10C for every little thing.
    Hyperbole much?
    I don't think it that much of an exaggeration. This thread is full of negativity and complaints.
    Don't blame consumer dissatisfaction on the consumer. The merchant has something to do with the state of the relationship.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    Get_Right said:
    surforia said:
    Hilarious and there probably some truth to it. What started out as a cool way to reward fans and promote vinyl turned into an angry mob full of merch hoarders and flippers bad mouthing the 10C for every little thing.
    What started out as an annual membership with a cool way to reward fans and promote vinyl got two years behind on a consistent basis.  Has nothing to do with merch hoarders or flippers.  I have been critical of the annual single for some time. Other than the single and their shipping practices, I don't bad mouth 10C for anything else.  In fact, I have been highly supportive of about 99.5% of the things they do for us.  I'm not a merch hoarder nor do I flip things. I have given away more than I've bought for myself in the nearly 30 years following this band.  I know your comment wasn't directed at me personally, but for those of us who have complained about the single we are totally justified in our disappointment regarding the lack of its punctuality.  As a paying customer I have no problem defending that.
  • Get_Right said:
    Get_Right said:
    surforia said:
    Hyperbole much?
    I don't think it that much of an exaggeration. This thread is full of negativity and complaints.
    In what way is complaining about them not releasing the single in over a year, and not keeping any updates on why that is "bad mouthing the 10C for every little thing"?

They could have just been transparent, they've had plenty of newsletters to do so. Or post here. But chose not to. 
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    Not here to mince words--i'm pretty ticked. I just re-upped at the analog level this past fall. What does that guarantee me--a 2018 single, or did my re-up time make my membership a 2019 one? Prior to this fall, I had been digital for at least 5 years. This really sucks. Coal in our stockings! No soup for you!

If my $40 doesn't get me a record, I want a $10 refund or credit for the shop. One of the two needs to happen, or simply refund all analog memberships back the $20 to make everyone digital.
    Don't fret, you're good.  It doesn't matter if you pay 1/1/18 or 12/31/18, that counts as your 2018 membership so you will receive the analog items for 2018 (whenever they are produced).  When you renew again next fall, that is for your 2019 membership.
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,440
    To be clear, I am not directing my comments at anyone in particular.  Everyone has a right to feel the way they want.  All good. Personally,  I thought membership took a turn for the worse when the started the analog choice.  I also suspected they outsourced it to a company that operates fan clubs around that time. I find it funny that grown adults treat being in a rock band's fan club so seriously.
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,170
    Get_Right said:
    To be clear, I am not directing my comments at anyone in particular.  Everyone has a right to feel the way they want.  All good. Personally,  I thought membership took a turn for the worse when the started the analog choice.  I also suspected they outsourced it to a company that operates fan clubs around that time. I find it funny that grown adults treat being in a rock band's fan club so seriously.
    Who are you calling a grown adult?
    This weekend we rock Portland
    Poncier said:
    Get_Right said:
    Who are you calling a grown adult?
    Perfect!  :)
  • RYMERYME Wisconsin Posts: 1,904
    edited December 2018
    What's the reason for analog?  Still get a t-shirt with it yes? I love the one this year with a big number 19 on the back. all right!!  Yes very original, this is 2019.  So when I'm writing the date on something I can always check the back of my shirts to remind me what year it is.  ( a big thumbs up)
    A number of years ago they sent out a little sheet of stickers.  And a few patches.  Now they don't send anything.  So the $40 is for?
    To pay for the upkeep of this website, the warehouse staff, & to pay a few people to monitor this forum, and to make sure we are all civil.
    Post edited by RYME on
  • I still play Nintendo.

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    Get_Right said:
    Get_Right said:
    surforia said:
    Hyperbole much?
    In what way is complaining about them not releasing the single in over a year, and not keeping any updates on why that is "bad mouthing the 10C for every little thing"?

They could have just been transparent, they've had plenty of newsletters to do so. Or post here. But chose not to. 
    The 10C has never been transparent. But in the end it usually works out. As it will here.  
  • Get_Right said:
    Get_Right said:
    Get_Right said:
    surforia said:
    Hyperbole much?

The 10C has never been transparent. 
    Not the members fault.
    Get_Right said:
    Get_Right said:
    Get_Right said:
    surforia said:
    Hyperbole much?

The 10C has never been transparent. 
    Not the members fault.
    Agreed.  But yet the members expect transparency.
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    stratmad said:
    After many years as an analogue member, it really is time to call time and be more savvy with my money.  I’ve finally accepted the fact, after realizing for a long time, that Pearl Jam just don’t use Pearl Jam as their primary outlet for new art or as the main vehicle for their other endeavors. Ed plays his solo shows, goes to baseball games and does charity work. The other guys are less visible generally and will pop up here and there to, say, promote a cause. All of it is great but whatever new art they’re doing it’s not as PJ and is otherwise selectively shared with the public, shall we say. They play a handful of shows a year together, mostly the old stuff to a hardcore fan base, Iike most legacy acts do and then disappear.  

As a long time fan I’d love some regular new music and active engagement with the fans as a typical working band generally does, but I’ve resigned myself to the fact that those days of a new album / tour cycle are long gone. 

You are correct.  I've read several articles over the last 10 years or so where they admire bands like the Rolling Stones.  Well, they are more like the Rolling Stones now than 2000 Pearl Jam.  When I think of the Rolling Stones I think of a band that doesn't release new music (or anything outstanding or that pushes new ground) and tours every 3-4 years for the cash and probably some enjoyment.  Pearl Jam spreads a bigger tour every 3 years over smaller tours each year.  They don't release new music and the music they do release is 50% great and 50% blah.  Pearl Jam shows are amazing and fun, but it is not new ground.  We are in the nostalgia phase or just entering. 

This is all fine and dandy. They've been a band for 28 years and we couldn't really expect much more than this. 

This is the main reason I'm liquidating my collection.  What I'm keeping is documenting trips and memories, but I don't look at a Pearl Jam shirt or poster like I did in 1995 when they were a current band that was passionate about making new music. 

well said bud.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    I still play Nintendo.

Is that agnes?  ;)
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,136
    Singles are disappearing on discogs.... who’s going to take the last uncensored angel? How about let me
    sleep??
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • mcgruff10 said:
    I still play Nintendo.

Is that agnes?  ;)
    Yes. But the guy next to her is not me.
  • AfghanTwilightAfghanTwilight Rochester, NY Posts: 835
    Not here to mince words--i'm pretty ticked. I just re-upped at the analog level this past fall. What does that guarantee me--a 2018 single, or did my re-up time make my membership a 2019 one? Prior to this fall, I had been digital for at least 5 years. This really sucks. Coal in our stockings! No soup for you!

If my $40 doesn't get me a record, I want a $10 refund or credit for the shop. One of the two needs to happen, or simply refund all analog memberships back the $20 to make everyone digital.
    Don't fret, you're good.  It doesn't matter if you pay 1/1/18 or 12/31/18, that counts as your 2018 membership so you will receive the analog items for 2018 (whenever they are produced).  When you renew again next fall, that is for your 2019 membership.
    Okay, thanks. I've been a part of the club a long long time, but still receive my annually confused status.
  • NewJPageNewJPage Posts: 3,295
    This sucks
    6/26/98, 8/17/00, 10/8/00, 12/8/02, 12/9/02, 4/25/03, 5/28/03, 6/1/03, 6/3/03, 6/5/03, 6/6/03, 6/12/03, 6/13/03, 6/15/03, 6/18/03, 6/21/03, 6/22/03, 7/12/03, 7/14/03, 10/3/04, 10/5/04, 9/9/05, 9/11/05, 9/16/05, 5/16/06, 5/17/06, 5/19/06, 6/30/06, 7/23/06, 8/5/07, 6/30/08, 8/23/09, 8/24/09, 5/4/10, 5/7/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/11/13, 10/17/14, 8/20/16
  • BF25394BF25394 Posts: 2,976
    Get_Right said:
    Get_Right said:
    surforia said:
    Hyperbole much?
    We want what we paid for.  We have every right to complain.
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.
  • bazzerbazzer Posts: 3,084
    edited December 2018
    Where's this 2019 shirt people are mentioning? Possibly no one would be eligible for it, only memberships renewed after 1/1 and maybe they'll remove that option anyway... I didn't see it in the shop.
  • Not here to mince words--i'm pretty ticked. I just re-upped at the analog level this past fall. What does that guarantee me--a 2018 single, or did my re-up time make my membership a 2019 one? Prior to this fall, I had been digital for at least 5 years. This really sucks. Coal in our stockings! No soup for you!

You'll get the 2018 single because you renewed in 2018. Nothing has changed there.
    Presidential Advice from President-Elect Mike McCready: "Are you getting something out of this all encompassing trip?"
  • bazzer said:
    Where's this 2019 shirt people are mentioning? Possibly no one would be eligible for it, only memberships renewed after 1/1 and maybe they'll remove that option anyway... I didn't see it in the shop.

It'll be in the shop when you renew in 2019.
    https://pearljam.com/shop/analog-member-items

That brings up a good point...but I do suspect some news tidbit has yet to drop. They can't expect to sell us a shirt for $10 (formerly free) and have a $20 digital membership be without MP3s.

Let's see what happens on 1/1 before we all lose our minds. The newsletter *did* hint at things in store.
    Presidential Advice from President-Elect Mike McCready: "Are you getting something out of this all encompassing trip?"
  • PSUS2HPSUS2H USA Posts: 2,049
    Such a bummer, still regret passing on a '91 for $60 at Amoeba a few years back.  My set will remain incomplete.  i have 1992-2015.  Waiting for the remaining "2017" 2016's to be put up in the shop.  

Not sure why they're killing it off, put some sound check stuff from Benny on a 7" there are so many random things they could do.  
    Pittsburgh, PA September 28, 2005 || Washington, DC June 22, 2008 || Barstow, VA May 13, 2010 || Seattle, WA  August 10, 2018 || Dana Point, CA September 29, 2018 (EV) || Dana Point, CA September 28, 2019 (EV) || Dana Point, CA September 25, 2021 (EV) || Dana Point, CA October 1, 2021 || Dana Point, CA October 2, 2021 
  • E.KE.K New South Wales, Australia Posts: 7,697
    edited December 2018
    Well I guess I won't be renewing my 10c Digital membership when it's due in November 2019 ... I'm not paying $27 Australian a year for being able to post on this forum.  Not interested in merch and the last time PJ played here was at a festival in 2014.   Pfft. 

Post edited by E.K on
  • joeembletonjoeembleton Glasgow Posts: 408
    10 ton of gutted. I was happy top wait. "Take your time boys! the I longer wait the better it will be!!!". Now it's gone. :( 

What is the difference between analog and digital now?? A comic?? Nope. Can't be. Not reasonable.

July I renew. Potentially & Hopefully. 
  • stratmadstratmad Posts: 208
    stratmad said:
    After many years as an analogue member, it really is time to call time and be more savvy with my money.  I’ve finally accepted the fact, after realizing for a long time, that Pearl Jam just don’t use Pearl Jam as their primary outlet for new art or as the main vehicle for their other endeavors. Ed plays his solo shows, goes to baseball games and does charity work. The other guys are less visible generally and will pop up here and there to, say, promote a cause. All of it is great but whatever new art they’re doing it’s not as PJ and is otherwise selectively shared with the public, shall we say. They play a handful of shows a year together, mostly the old stuff to a hardcore fan base, Iike most legacy acts do and then disappear.  

As a long time fan I’d love some regular new music and active engagement with the fans as a typical working band generally does, but I’ve resigned myself to the fact that those days of a new album / tour cycle are long gone. 

You are correct.  I've read several articles over the last 10 years or so where they admire bands like the Rolling Stones.  Well, they are more like the Rolling Stones now than 2000 Pearl Jam.  When I think of the Rolling Stones I think of a band that doesn't release new music (or anything outstanding or that pushes new ground) and tours every 3-4 years for the cash and probably some enjoyment.  Pearl Jam spreads a bigger tour every 3 years over smaller tours each year.  They don't release new music and the music they do release is 50% great and 50% blah.  Pearl Jam shows are amazing and fun, but it is not new ground.  We are in the nostalgia phase or just entering. 

This is all fine and dandy. They've been a band for 28 years and we couldn't really expect much more than this. 

This is the main reason I'm liquidating my collection.  What I'm keeping is documenting trips and memories, but I don't look at a Pearl Jam shirt or poster like I did in 1995 when they were a current band that was passionate about making new music. 

• stratmadstratmad Posts: 208
    Totally agree and given the latest news about the end of the annual singles there’s really no reason to stay analogue.  I’m part of the silent majority (I think) that tries to stick by the band and club but have been frustrated for a long long time about the general lack of appreciation shown to paying members who are, let’s face it, your business’ returning customers. Enough said. 

I do wish the guys well. They have soundtracked a good part of my youth. I will always look back fondly on those days and continue to look on with interest to where they go next but will step back for others to get a better look and so that I can go search for other more engaging art. 
  • ZodZod Posts: 9,941
    I'm mixed.

I ranted numerous times that if they weren't into making the Christmas singles anymore they should discontinue them.   Still, it kind of makes the Analog membership moot.  I don't really wear the tshirts outside my house (they make excellent pajama shirts).   I don't really use the mp3 coupons because I buy cd's from the shows I go to.  I was in it to keep for annual singles (which was the sole reason I joined in '98 before I realized you could buy tickets too).

I wonder what happens to the newsletter.  Both the Christmas Single and newsletter were part of both the digital and analog memberships, so digital members lose their digital goods too.

Hopefully they come up with something new to add.  If not I'll go digital and keep renewing.   I'm lucky enough to get shows in the Northwest ever few years.  Definitely worth keeping the membership for ticket access.  I do hope that it doesn't become one of those fan clubs.  Where it becomes a surcharge for fans to access tickets.   Clubs like AC/DC, KISS, AC/DC where you pay $50, get some bobbles, but it's really about presale access.  Ergo the band makes extra revenue by selling presale access to their fans.

My favourite fan club right now are U2 and Metallica.  U2 charges about the same as PJ analog, but they come up with a pretty cool gift every year.   They're doing another live album this year (cd).  U22 a few years ago was amazing.  Metallica fan club used to charge money and mail out 4 magazines.  Your membership didn't expire until you got the fourth one, so they didn't run them too late.  They've now transitioned to digital only, but stopped charging for the membership.   Free Fan club tickets for everyone (you do get first priority if you were previously a paying member, you get legacy privledge).
This discussion has been closed.