The Food Thread

Comments

• Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,440
    Whoa.  Will make me think more on my skrimps.  I get wild fish vs. farmed, generally, but the skrimps I know do come from southeast Asia sometimes.  Will have to look again at that.  I was ordering wild caught brown skrimps from the US gulf but I like white skrimps or white leg skrimps...pink skrimps are probably next.
    Will look for wild caught US skrimps of the white or pink variety.  I know I can go back to the wild browns, if needed.

Thanks for the gross-out!
    Yeah, we are very picky about the shellfish and fish we buy. It is not always possible to avoid farmed fish, but we try to avoid anything from Asia. The pork and poultry industry in the US is not that much better but at least there is some regulation. We try to avoid the standard meat in the supermarket. Makes for a painful and sometimes expensive shopping experience. Also we are not the type of people where everything needs to be super healthy/organic. There are pizza bagels, deli turkey, hot pockets and eggo waffles in our shopping cart.  But when it comes to fish and meat we are picky.  We are lucky in that we have a butcher and real fish monger nearby, the quality is insane, and so are the prices.
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587
    eddiec said:
    Whoa.  Will make me think more on my skrimps.  I get wild fish vs. farmed, generally, but the skrimps I know do come from southeast Asia sometimes.  Will have to look again at that.  I was ordering wild caught brown skrimps from the US gulf but I like white skrimps or white leg skrimps...pink skrimps are probably next.
    Will look for wild caught US skrimps of the white or pink variety.  I know I can go back to the wild browns, if needed.

I think I read (maybe on here) that unless you buy your prawn/shrimp alive, then they've been frozen. 
    I'm with you on the dilemna. A lot of frozen prawns (especially Tiger) seem to come from Asia. Gonna have to do a bit of research. 
    Found this on a quick search. https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/15/dining/shrimp-sourcing-united-states.html

Yes, I follow that same guideline and buy frozen on the skrimps.  Will check that link out, thanks!
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587
    Get_Right said:

Yeah, we are very picky about the shellfish and fish we buy. It is not always possible to avoid farmed fish, but we try to avoid anything from Asia. The pork and poultry industry in the US is not that much better but at least there is some regulation. We try to avoid the standard meat in the supermarket. Makes for a painful and sometimes expensive shopping experience. Also we are not the type of people where everything needs to be super healthy/organic. There are pizza bagels, deli turkey, hot pockets and eggo waffles in our shopping cart.  But when it comes to fish and meat we are picky.  We are lucky in that we have a butcher and real fish monger nearby, the quality is insane, and so are the prices.

All good info, thanks! 
    My wife is super freak on the organic and related items but for the skrimps our game was off. 
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    Have shrimp defrosting for this evening and yup....India.  

I definitely can't avoid farm raised completely, but do have some great fish spots and butchers in South Philly that have good stuff.

I definitely can't avoid farm raised completely, but do have some great fish spots and butchers in South Philly that have good stuff.
    Yeah most of those bags of frozen shrimp are from Asia, but there are exceptions. It is possible to find US origin. Whole foods is pretty good for frozen fish/shellfish. We also tend to prefer the fresh stuff but will use the frozen for dishes like shrimp fried rice.
    Get_Right said:

Yeah most of those bags of frozen shrimp are from Asia, but there are exceptions. It is possible to find US origin. Whole foods is pretty good for frozen fish/shellfish. We also tend to prefer the fresh stuff but will use the frozen for dishes like shrimp fried rice.
    Yeah we’re doing a stir fry tonight. We almost always go fresh seafood but keep a couple frozen bags in the freezer for a pinch.

• rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    I'm not a huge fan of sea-bugs to begin with, and y'all aren't making me a bigger fan right now lol
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
    Get_Right said:

Yeah we’re doing a stir fry tonight. We almost always go fresh seafood but keep a couple frozen bags in the freezer for a pinch.

Where do you buy fresh skrimps?  They alive when you buy them or do they bring them from the shore?
    I never see them where I'm at but I know you are close to the market.
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    Highly recommend Red’s Best. 

Two frozen gulf shrimp options here: https://shop.redsbest.com/collections/frozen-products
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    Saved, thanks!
  • FiveBelowFiveBelow Lubbock, TX Posts: 1,167
    dankind said:

Two frozen gulf shrimp options here: https://shop.redsbest.com/collections/frozen-products
    A little BP in every bite!  ;)
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,141
    The wife is making stuffed peppers this evening. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
    dankind said:

I have always wanted to try mail order, but it makes me nervous for some reason. If I am going to spent 100s I like to see what I am buying.
    Get_Right said:

Where do you buy fresh skrimps?  They alive when you buy them or do they bring them from the shore?
    I never see them where I'm at but I know you are close to the market.
    I probably shouldn’t say they are always fresh, but anastasi’s is generally my spot. Go to the terminal for higher end stuff at times, but everyday stuff is always them
  • FifthelementFifthelement Lotusland Posts: 6,905
    Get_Right said:
    Get_Right said:
    When you buy frozen fish fillets, check the country of origin.  Just say no to India, Thailand or Vietnam. 
    Thanks. That’s good advice.  I usually buy local, fresh stuff, particularly with shell fish.  This was the first time trying basa fish.  Thinking I’ll stick with cod or halibut next time.  The texture is firmer.
    Frozen filets are perfect for tacos since there are a lot of toppings. You just want to make sure it did not come from a farm in those countries I listed.  I have actually visited those farms and just trust me when I say you dont want to eat what comes out of those ponds.  Same with shrimp.
    Thanks for the info in the thread.  I was well aware of problematic markets regarding shellfish due to a Marketplace investigation that I watched on the CBC here in Canada about five years ago. The high levels of ecology bacteria found on farmed shrimp, even after cooking(!), was insane.

Any shrimp we buy is either fresh, local (Vancouver Island), or wild-caught US or Argentina.

Made my Mediterranean pasta tonight:

"What the CANUCK happened?!? - Esquimalt Barber Shop
    Get_Right said:
    Get_Right said:
    When you buy frozen fish fillets, check the country of origin.  Just say no to India, Thailand or Vietnam. 
    Thanks. That’s good advice.  I usually buy local, fresh stuff, particularly with shell fish.  This was the first time trying basa fish.  Thinking I’ll stick with cod or halibut next time.  The texture is firmer.
    Frozen filets are perfect for tacos since there are a lot of toppings. You just want to make sure it did not come from a farm in those countries I listed.  I have actually visited those farms and just trust me when I say you dont want to eat what comes out of those ponds.  Same with shrimp.
    Thanks for the info in the thread.  I was well aware of problematic markets regarding shellfish due to a Marketplace investigation that I watched on the CBC here in Canada about five years ago. The high levels of ecology bacteria found on farmed shrimp, even after cooking(!), was insane.

Any shrimp we buy is either fresh, local (Vancouver Island), or wild-caught US or Argentina.

Oh boy. That looks great. What is all in it? 
    chinese-happy.jpg
    edited March 2021
    Get_Right said:
    Get_Right said:

Olive oil
    Tomatoes
    garlic (so. much. garlic!)
    italian parsley
    Kalamata olives
    artichoke hearts
    green onions
    lemon zest
    feta cheese
    served with spaghettini noodles

https://www.themediterraneandish.com/mediterranean-olive-oil-pasta/

Get_Right said:
    Get_Right said:

Olive oil
    Tomatoes
    italian parsley
    Kalamata olives
    artichoke hearts
    green onions
    lemon zest
    feta cheese

Thanks. Is it served cold?
    chinese-happy.jpg
    edited March 2021
    Get_Right said:
    Get_Right said:

Olive oil
    Tomatoes
    italian parsley
    Kalamata olives
    artichoke hearts
    green onions
    lemon zest
    feta cheese

Thanks. Is it served cold?
    No. The oil, garlic, shallots, parsley, and tomatoes are warmed about a minute.  Pasta is hot.  By the time you eat it it, it’s around room temp.  Don’t overheat leftovers or all the cheese will melt.  I usually do about 40-45 seconds.  It’s very light and refreshing.  Btw, do not rinse your pasta.  You want the oil to adhere to the starches.
    Wait....do you ever rinse pasta?
    (Ahhhhh!)
    This is a point of contention between myself and anyone I see rinse their pasta.
    Also, pouring perfectly good olive oil into the water.
    WTF?!

Never rinse....in fact save some of the pasta water, always, to add back to the pasta or finishing sauce 

Oil the pasta after it is out, if that is part of the plan 

This is non negotiable!
    :rofl:
    Breakfast is leftover potato latkes and eggs over-easy with chipotle mayo.

• eddieceddiec Posts: 3,832
    (Ahhhhh!)
    This is a point of contention between myself and anyone I see rinse their pasta.
    WTF?!

Never rinse....in fact save some of the pasta water, always, to add back to the pasta or finishing sauce 

This is non negotiable!
    If I'm doing pasta for two people or less I don't strain it. I just pull it out the water and put it straight into the sauce about 2-3 minutes before it's done.
    eddiec said:
    (Ahhhhh!)
    WTF?!

This is non negotiable!
    If I'm doing pasta for two people or less I don't strain it. I just pull it out the water and put it straight into the sauce about 2-3 minutes before it's done.
    Yes, I don't strain, either.  Always right out of the water, just depends on the amount and size of the pot as to what utensil I will deploy.
    Also, I salt the fuck out of the water.

I'm a pasta snob, of sorts, I guess.
    I’m glad that we are in accordance regarding proper pasta preparation lol  And I the salt the fuck out of the water too!
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    Venison off the grill.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
    I’m glad that we are in accordance regarding proper pasta preparation lol  And I the salt the fuck out of the water too!
    Nice!  🙂

mcgruff10 said:
    Venison off the grill.  

Looks great!!!
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258
    Spanish Pernil or pork shoulder, potatoes & salads for tonight’s dinner, I’ll make a picadillo to top the pork slices..
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
    Spanish Pernil or pork shoulder, potatoes & salads for tonight’s dinner, I’ll make a picadillo to top the pork slices..
    Oh yeah! Pics later please
    Oh holy pernil!
    My grandma (straight from PR) made a ridiculous one.
    Mine are always "ok".
    I'm sure yours is gonna be great!
  • lmckenney24lmckenney24 Posts: 1,928
    Birthday tradition having Woodmans Fried Clams. Wife suprised me having them shipped in. Damn good.