The Food Thread

Comments

• lmckenney24lmckenney24 Posts: 1,928
    eddiec said:
    My fish guy picked up another Tuna late yesterday. Early morning social media post that some would be available in the market today.

I made Tuna ribbons with a ginger infused Dashi.
    Impressive man, looks great.
  • eddieceddiec Posts: 3,832
    edited March 2021
    GlowGirl said:
    eddiec said:
    My fish guy picked up another Tuna late yesterday. Early morning social media post that some would be available in the market today.

That is beautiful. Are you a professional chef? Your food always looks so amazing. 
    Thanks. I'm not a professional chef but I did work making pizza for a time. 
    Post edited by eddiec on
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,440
    eddiec said:

Ribbons? Did you use a spiralizer? :)
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Spring rolls for lunch.
    Got a little carried away with the Sriracha for mine.  

How do you cook them?  Do the ingredients go in steamed or does the whole thing get steamed??
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587
    They actually don't steam....
    The shrimp and rice noodles are cooked.
    Everything else is raw (for these, mint, lettuce, carrots, scallions, cilantro, carrots, strawberries)

The rice paper goes into a warm water bath (I had the large skillet shown about half filled with warm water) for about 5 seconds, you then lay the wrap on the board, fill with toppings, and roll.

I am sure I will get better at rolling - easier with less items - and we will find different combinations we like.  Last time we had no fruit and it made a big difference to get some sweetness and something with a bit of liquid in there.

Easy and find of fun - rolling food into items always seems fun.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
    Everything else is raw (for these, mint, lettuce, carrots, scallions, cilantro, carrots, strawberries)

The rice paper goes into a warm water bath (I had the large skillet shown about half filled with warm water) for about 5 seconds, you then lay the wrap on the board, fill with toppings, and roll.

I am sure I will get better at rolling - easier with less items - and we will find different combinations we like.  Last time we had no fruit and it made a big difference to get some sweetness and something with a bit of liquid in there.

Hmm interesting... I think I would enjoy more if the carrots were cooked and the lettuce was cabbage, but that would probably be sacrilege lol
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587
    rgambs said:

Hmm interesting... I think I would enjoy more if the carrots were cooked and the lettuce was cabbage, but that would probably be sacrilege lol
    No, I think the most interesting part of this is that you can do anything you want.
    Sort of like working on burritos.  Make what you like.
    rgambs said:

No, I think the most interesting part of this is that you can do anything you want.
    Hell yeah.  Do you do a little ponzu sauce for dip?
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:

Yep.  Soy.  Ponu.  Make a spicy....or yesterday vwas straight Sriracha.  
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:

Yep.  Soy.  Ponu.  Make a spicy....or yesterday vwas straight Sriracha.  
    Yum!  Sriracha and honey or duck sauce 🤤
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    Roasted chicken, veggies, bread from the farmers market (kinda sucked), with a roasted garlic, pepper and basil vinaigrette 
    eddiec said:

Sweet jesus
    Roasted chicken, veggies, bread from the farmers market (kinda sucked), with a roasted garlic, pepper and basil vinaigrette 
    That's a great meal!
  • stuckinlinestuckinline Posts: 3,357
    Damn, nicely done!
  • FifthelementFifthelement Lotusland Posts: 6,905
    Steak, mushrooms, and asparagus with mixed greens salad.

"What the CANUCK happened?!? - Esquimalt Barber Shop
    Fail on the eggs, but still tastes good.

Open face hash browns, cheddar, roast beef, egg Sammie.
    (Eggs should have been over easy)

Fail on the eggs, but still tastes good.

Open face hash browns, cheddar, roast beef, egg Sammie.
    (Eggs should have been over easy)

That’s a good breakfast 
    When I first started cooking I was by the recipe. I’d make awesome stuff but always followed recipes exactly. This guy was from some baby octopus I got and other stuff I pulled together, with no recipe.

Tako is the fucking bomb.  Very nice!
    What else did you make to go with?

Back when that show Chopped first went on food network, I think in late 2000s, I used to like to pretend I had to make something resembling a complete meal from just shit I had in my freezer, fridge, or kitchen.  No shopping, no recipes.  It was fun.  Sometimes the stuff was surprisingly strong.  Sometimes is was equally weak.  Still enjoyed doing it and gave me more room to be creative.  
    When I first started cooking I was by the recipe. I’d make awesome stuff but always followed recipes exactly. This guy was from some baby octopus I got and other stuff I pulled together, with no recipe.

Looks like Southern Italy in a bowl.
    Tonight is fish tacos with homemade slaw and pico de gallo and guacamole on the side. I put a lot of garlic in the pico, every bite as a nice burn.  Yum!

Wow, that all looks great!
    Thanks FMe. It was.  Might make the fish crispier next time with a panko batter. It was tasty as it was though.
    When you buy frozen fish fillets, check the country of origin.  Just say no to India, Thailand or Vietnam. 
    Get_Right said:
    When you buy frozen fish fillets, check the country of origin.  Just say no to India, Thailand or Vietnam. 
    Thanks. That’s good advice.  I usually buy local, fresh stuff, particularly with shell fish.  This was the first time trying basa fish.  Thinking I’ll stick with cod or halibut next time.  The texture is firmer.
    Get_Right said:
    Thanks. That’s good advice.  I usually buy local, fresh stuff, particularly with shell fish.  This was the first time trying basa fish.  Thinking I’ll stick with cod or halibut next time.  The texture is firmer.
    Frozen filets are perfect for tacos since there are a lot of toppings. You just want to make sure it did not come from a farm in those countries I listed.  I have actually visited those farms and just trust me when I say you dont want to eat what comes out of those ponds.  Same with shrimp.
    Can you share a little on what you saw?
    I can imagine some bad stuff, curious as to what you witnessed.
    Can you share a little on what you saw?
    I can imagine some bad stuff, curious as to what you witnessed.
    Have you ever been to a hatchery?  Imagine man made ponds over stuffed with fish, so full that you can pick them up with your hands. Netted pens on the slow part of a river packed with fish or shrimp.  Antibiotics up the wazoo to prevent the fish from getting sick when they are on top of each other. They overfeed them to make them grow faster.  And that smell. Oh man so nasty.  Basa and Tilapia also eat poop which is part of the reason they are so popular for farming. After processing they also spray the filets with some kind of chlorine/ammonia based fluid and shrimp soak in it before freezing/packing.  I have never been to India but the fish and shrimp farms in Vietnam and Thailand were so gross it took days for me to the smells and the images out of my head. 
    Whoa.  Will make me think more on my skrimps.  I get wild fish vs. farmed, generally, but the skrimps I know do come from southeast Asia sometimes.  Will have to look again at that.  I was ordering wild caught brown skrimps from the US gulf but I like white skrimps or white leg skrimps...pink skrimps are probably next.
    Will look for wild caught US skrimps of the white or pink variety.  I know I can go back to the wild browns, if needed.

Thanks for the gross-out!
    Whoa.  Will make me think more on my skrimps.  I get wild fish vs. farmed, generally, but the skrimps I know do come from southeast Asia sometimes.  Will have to look again at that.  I was ordering wild caught brown skrimps from the US gulf but I like white skrimps or white leg skrimps...pink skrimps are probably next.
    Will look for wild caught US skrimps of the white or pink variety.  I know I can go back to the wild browns, if needed.

Thanks for the gross-out!
    I think I read (maybe on here) that unless you buy your prawn/shrimp alive, then they've been frozen. 
    I'm with you on the dilemna. A lot of frozen prawns (especially Tiger) seem to come from Asia. Gonna have to do a bit of research. 
    Found this on a quick search. https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/15/dining/shrimp-sourcing-united-states.html