• Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,601
    GlowGirl said:
    One of my specialities, red beans and rice 

Yum. Is that andouille?
    Indeed it is 
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,875
    Cliffy where you a chef in another life time? Looks great as usual. 
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    Cliffy where you a chef in another life time? Looks great as usual. 
    Thanks, man. Just enjoy cooking. By no means am I great but have come a long way over the past 10 years or so 
  • Options
    Seafood sunday was good 

• Options
    Proud of that broth. Lol. 
  • Options
    eddieceddiec Posts: 3,837

2:30pm here in Ireland and the Pho broth is on.
  • Options
    GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,867
    edited September 2020
    Nothing special - but I hadn’t posted to this thread in a while. Pork chop slathered with hickory mesquite bbq sauce, and oven roasted corn the cob. 

Post edited by GlowGirl on
  • Options
    eddiec said:

Looks great. How did it turn out?
  • Options
    GlowGirl said:
    Nothing special - but I hadn’t posted to this thread in a while. Pork chop slathered with hickory mesquite bbq sauce, and oven roasted corn the cob. 

That’s a good looking pork chop 
  • Options
    eddiec said:

Oh shit. Looking forward to some pho this fall. Been too hot to have some piping hot soup.

you have any pics of the final product?
  • Options
    deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    GlowGirl said:

Yes, please.

Okay, I have a pork chop question.  I will start with the fact that I grew up with my mama buying paper thin chops on the bone, breading them in Fry Magic and cooking them to death.  (In a skillet, I believe.)  How are you really supposed to cook a pork chop?  I have had good pork chops, but have limited experience in cooking them because my mother scarred me for life with overcooked offerings of low end cuts. 
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,620
    Pork to 145, tops.  Tops!
    (I like 5-10 below that and letting it sit and finish cooking)

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    deadendp said:
    GlowGirl said:

Yes, please.

Okay, I have a pork chop question.  I will start with the fact that I grew up with my mama buying paper thin chops on the bone, breading them in Fry Magic and cooking them to death.  (In a skillet, I believe.)  How are you really supposed to cook a pork chop?  I have had good pork chops, but have limited experience in cooking them because my mother scarred me for life with overcooked offerings of low end cuts. 
    This was a pretty thick cut pork chop so I baked it at 425 for 25 minutes. Then I flipped it over and put the bbq sauce on and turned up the heat to 450 to get a little char. Took it out after 10 minutes to check the internal temp. It wasn’t quite at 140 so I put it back in for another 7-8 minutes. F Me is right that is should be around 145. 

When I get thinner ones or boneless butterfly chops I cook it for less time. But your best bet is to use the meat thermometer. I have also stuck them under the broiler but they cook so fast that I end up overcooking. 

Is Fry Magic similar to Shake and Bake. My mom used to use that on chicken occasionally. 
  • Options

Kind of like chicken that I will cook to almost there, then let rest for 15 minutes and it takes it the rest of the way.  Thanks, FMe! 
    GlowGirl said:
    deadendp said:
    GlowGirl said:

Yes, please.

This was a pretty thick cut pork chop so I baked it at 425 for 25 minutes. Then I flipped it over and put the bbq sauce on and turned up the heat to 450 to get a little char. Took it out after 10 minutes to check the internal temp. It wasn’t quite at 140 so I put it back in for another 7-8 minutes. F Me is right that is should be around 145. 

When I get thinner ones or boneless butterfly chops I cook it for less time. But your best bet is to use the meat thermometer. I have also stuck them under the broiler but they cook so fast that I end up overcooking. 

Is Fry Magic similar to Shake and Bake. My mom used to use that on chicken occasionally. 
    I did notice how thick it was.  (I just felt naughty typing that.)  

I would have never guessed to cook it at a temp so high, but y'all teach me stuff.  

Fry Magic is probably like Shake and Bake.  Maybe it's a regional thing.  I have no idea.  Mom used that shit on everything.  She also had a love for something called Gravy Master.  (I think it was liquid boullion.) I believe she has now informed me that she traded the beloved Gravy Master for something called Kitchen Bouquet.  I just use herbs and spices.  
  • Options
    Last week I did probably the best pork chop I have ever done. A beautiful French cut, well over an inch thick. 135 in the water then like 30 seconds a side in the cast iron. Salt, pepper and rosemary only. Didn’t take pics but it was amazing 
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,620
    ^^^^ nice and rare!
    Sounds amazing
  • Options
    deadendp said:

Kind of like chicken that I will cook to almost there, then let rest for 15 minutes and it takes it the rest of the way.  Thanks, FMe! 
    GlowGirl said:
    deadendp said:
    GlowGirl said:

Yes, please.

I would have never guessed to cook it at a temp so high, but y'all teach me stuff.  

Fry Magic is probably like Shake and Bake.  Maybe it's a regional thing.  I have no idea.  Mom used that shit on everything.  She also had a love for something called Gravy Master.  (I think it was liquid boullion.) I believe she has now informed me that she traded the beloved Gravy Master for something called Kitchen Bouquet.  I just use herbs and spices.  
    Since this was super thick I used a higher temp. When I look at different recipes the temps vary from 350 to 450. But they consistently say cook until an internal temp of 145. Some also start with baking and end with broiling to get a char. It really depends on the cut of the chop and the thickness. 

I have heard of kitchen bouquet but rarely make gravy so haven’t tried it. If I recall, you do amazing things with the slow cooker. 
  • Options
    GlowGirl said:
    deadendp said:

GlowGirl said:
    deadendp said:
    GlowGirl said:

Yes, please.

Since this was super thick I used a higher temp. When I look at different recipes the temps vary from 350 to 450. But they consistently say cook until an internal temp of 145. Some also start with baking and end with broiling to get a char. It really depends on the cut of the chop and the thickness. 

I have heard of kitchen bouquet but rarely make gravy so haven’t tried it. If I recall, you do amazing things with the slow cooker. 
    I do love the crock-pot. I just might have 4. (Different sizes.) They haven't quite gotten the use they typically get because we have been home. Soon...
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Good comments on the chops, folks. I will add that, as a lover of pork over all other meats...bone-in is overrated!  Thick is always better than thin, but boneless chops cook more evenly and the meat nearer the bone has been scientifically proven to be no different in moisture or tenderness than meat further from the bone *cooked to the same temperature at the same rate*.  In fact, it's muchmmuch more likely to contain the connective tissue we call gristle when we eat it.  
    The meat nearer the bone cooks slower and finishes at a lower temperature, so those who tend to overcook can benefit from the bone to salvage some of the meat lol
    The bone just complicates cooking and cutting, and makes eating the entire chop a "hands-on" affair.
    Furthermore, and maybe most importantly is the consequences in butchering that come from bone-in chops... The rib chop, like pictured above, precludes the cutting of back ribs, that meat is insteadtrimmed for sausage.  Back ribs are too delicious to pass, and the fatty meat near the bone on the loin side benefits more from a slow cooking process than a fast loin cook.  On the other side, the center cut pork chop has the t-shaped bone of the lumbar vertebrae...the meat right around the bone is bits and pieces that are better trimmed for sausage, and on the other side of that bone is the tenderloin, which deserves it's own glorious meal and preparation style.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    We used to just fry thin ones up in a cast iron skillet with maybe salt and pepper and eat them with our hands, holding them by the bone.

I didn't know that a pork chop could also be a fancy thing.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    rgambs said:
    Good comments on the chops, folks. I will add that, as a lover of pork over all other meats...bone-in is overrated!  Thick is always better than thin, but boneless chops cook more evenly and the meat nearer the bone has been scientifically proven to be no different in moisture or tenderness than meat further from the bone *cooked to the same temperature at the same rate*.  In fact, it's muchmmuch more likely to contain the connective tissue we call gristle when we eat it.  
    The meat nearer the bone cooks slower and finishes at a lower temperature, so those who tend to overcook can benefit from the bone to salvage some of the meat lol
    The bone just complicates cooking and cutting, and makes eating the entire chop a "hands-on" affair.
    Furthermore, and maybe most importantly is the consequences in butchering that come from bone-in chops... The rib chop, like pictured above, precludes the cutting of back ribs, that meat is insteadtrimmed for sausage.  Back ribs are too delicious to pass, and the fatty meat near the bone on the loin side benefits more from a slow cooking process than a fast loin cook.  On the other side, the center cut pork chop has the t-shaped bone of the lumbar vertebrae...the meat right around the bone is bits and pieces that are better trimmed for sausage, and on the other side of that bone is the tenderloin, which deserves it's own glorious meal and preparation style.
    Thanks for the info. You are definitely our resident expert on all things pork. How is that whole pig coming along. How much do you have left?

I like making boneless pork chops as well. I often butterfly them and sometimes bread them, or broil them with seasonings. But you are right that the tenderloin is best. I make one a few times a year - marinated in olive oil, balsamic vinegar, garlic and rosemary. So good!!

• Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    dankind said:
    We used to just fry thin ones up in a cast iron skillet with maybe salt and pepper and eat them with our hands, holding them by the bone.
    Yeah everyone who grew up between 1950 and 2000 ate them that way lol
    The reason is an irrational fear of trichinosis...
    Pork doesn't have to be cooked into leather, and once you've had a goos chop cooked to medium, the world of pork really opens up.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    rgambs said:
    dankind said:
    Yeah everyone who grew up between 1950 and 2000 ate them that way lol
    The reason is an irrational fear of trichinosis...
    Pork doesn't have to be cooked into leather, and once you've had a goos chop cooked to medium, the world of pork really opens up.
    Ah, I quit eating pork and beef around 1990. If it's in something (collards, hoppin' john, etc.), I'll eat it. And I still cook bacon (and burgers, steaks, etc.) for the family. 

Oh well. I'm not going to test my gut with a pork chop. I tried a wagyu burger about five or ten years ago, thinking that since it's the highest-quality beef, I wouldn't suffer gastrointestinal discomfort. Boy was I wrong!
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    Bought some huge oysters today and lightly grilled them with a Vietnamese dipping sauce.

Then grilled up some deep water red fish they occasionally catch this time of year. It's called Blue Mouth.

• Options
    Blue Mouth and Errrsters look great!

Gambs, preaching to the willing masses on the goodness of pork.
    Bone-in = Juicier      This is something I fully agree with you on -- the reason the meat is so much better is because fuckers don't cook it until it is all the same color.  This is a horrible, horrible, lesson that people were taught for years on pork.  Pink is good!

(yes, I know, I typed that with a smirk.)
  • Options
    Folks up my way like their roast beef pink and messy.

I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    dankind said:
    Folks up my way like their roast beef pink and messy.

I'm not sure how to comment on that😂
    Sandwich looks amazing.
  • Options
    Hahaha.
  • Options
    eddiec said:
    Bought some huge oysters today and lightly grilled them with a Vietnamese dipping sauce.

Then grilled up some deep water red fish they occasionally catch this time of year. It's called Blue Mouth.

Fuck yeah.  Seafood sunday is gonna be some whole fish this week fo sho.

What did you use for the Vietnamese dipping sauce?