• Options
    lmckenney24lmckenney24 Posts: 1,929
    Looks good!

Steaks....
    One black wagyu, one gold

Will try to get a good pic of the finished products

Damn dude, those look great!
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,617
    edited August 2020
    I don't know the full deal with wagyu....just that it tastes amazing.
    Being a rare eater (for real, my order is "as rare as the chef will let it out of the kitchen") I don't tend to get it.  However, when I read up the ways I saw to cook were all crazy-short.  Shorter than I normally cook.
    Tried the way I chose from the videos and next time I will do the same way I normally do my steaks.

Mrs FMe is not usually one that eat it as rare as I do and she was concerned when she saw how red these were.  
    She loved them both and I did as well.  
    I still will put in the oven for a bit next time so I'm sure it will cook a bit more but it was really quite good this way - the remaining fat in the gold one tasted like fucking butter.

Look forward to next time!

Post edited by F Me In The Brain on
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    Being a rare eater (for real, my order is "as rare as the chef will let it out of the kitchen") I don't tend to get it.  However, when I read up the ways I saw to cook were all crazy-short.  Shorter than I normally cook.
    Tried the way I chose from the videos and next time I will do the same way I normally do my steaks.

Mrs FMe is not usually one that eat it as rare as I do and she was concerned when she saw how red these were.  
    I still will put in the oven for a bit next time so I'm sure it will cook a bit more but it was really quite good this way - the remaining fat in the good one tasted like fucking butter.

Wouldn't that be referred to as blue? (I could be wrong.) Not a steak eater, but probably because my mom always killed all meat-- very dry, very leathery. Couldn't quite go mooing on my plate, but I need to move away from the idea of the bad steak I grew up with. 
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,598
    Hoooooooly shit, dude. Holy shit. That is as good as a steak can look
  • Options
    Seafood sunday is wahoo, grilled cauliflower, Cole slaw and shrimp cocktail 
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,617
    Love wahoo.
    Nice.

Amy, I learned long ago to not try and put a name on it and expect everyone to agree.
    Blue is a good description based on my opinion but I found that using that (and other attempts) description produced varying results.

Used to eat a good steak out at least once a week - martini and steak dinner or lunch with an old boss every week on top of personal purchases. 

Landed on something that could easily be related.

I order "as rare as the chef will let it out of the kitchen" and typically the person taking the order says whatever their version of "blue" is...and I always repeat back to them - "please, as rare as the chef will let it out, whatever you call that, thank you."
    Don't think I have been dissatisfied save for one occasion at a Fleming's.  It was the only time in a long, long, time I complained about a steak.  Shit was medium well 
    I ate it and chewed on the comped steak as well as my martinis and a $100 off next visit.
    They took that error by the poor guy very seriously.

• Options
    Love wahoo.
    Nice.

Amy, I learned long ago to not try and put a name on it and expect everyone to agree.
    Blue is a good description based on my opinion but I found that using that (and other attempts) description produced varying results.

Used to eat a good steak out at least once a week - martini and steak dinner or lunch with an old boss every week on top of personal purchases. 

I order "as rare as the chef will let it out of the kitchen" and typically the person taking the order says whatever their version of "blue" is...and I always repeat back to them - "please, as rare as the chef will let it out, whatever you call that, thank you."
    Don't think I have been dissatisfied save for one occasion at a Fleming's.  It was the only time in a long, long, time I complained about a steak.  Shit was medium well 
    I ate it and chewed on the comped steak as well as my martinis and a $100 off next visit.

Do steaks run into the runny egg problem? Is it just Ohio that wouldn't allow runny egg yolks if you ordered them in a restaurant? (I grew up dipping my toast.) Is there some food safety concern they have with very rare steaks? I mean, I figure as long as you are ordering it, you aren't going to go to some questionable joint like Golden Corral asking them to bust out a blue steak. 

(A few decades ago, I called the health department in on a Golden Corral. Got a gift certificate. Knew it was a buffet,  but M referred to it as a cattle lot style feeding situation after we got there and saw what was going on. The health department shut them down permanently.) 
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,834
    Cliffy and Brett with some kick ass meals tonight!  Nice work fellas. 
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    Hosting my moms bday tonight.  Eggplant rollatini, ham, chicken bruschetta, bow ties with pesto, orzo salad and pineapple bread.  
    Happy birthday, mrs. mcgruff! Looks like a feast and a great time 
  • Options
    GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,826

I still will put in the oven for a bit next time so I'm sure it will cook a bit more but it was really quite good this way - the remaining fat in the gold one tasted like fucking butter.

I’m glad those came out the way you like them. It sounds like they were perfect for you. They look great on the plate, but they are a bit too rare for my personal taste. I like mine just slightly pink. I have the opposite problem as you in restaurants. A lot of chefs don’t like to cook the steaks medium well. I remember once having to send back a steak to be cooked a bit more three times. I felt really bad about it because I am not a person that often complains at restaurants but I just couldn’t eat it that rare. I am sure the chef thought it was a travesty  :s
  • Options
    Seafood sunday is wahoo, grilled cauliflower, Cole slaw and shrimp cocktail 
    You have outdone yourself as usual. Those shrimp look great. 
  • Options
    deadendp said:
    Love wahoo.
    Nice.

Do steaks run into the runny egg problem? Is it just Ohio that wouldn't allow runny egg yolks if you ordered them in a restaurant? (I grew up dipping my toast.) Is there some food safety concern they have with very rare steaks? I mean, I figure as long as you are ordering it, you aren't going to go to some questionable joint like Golden Corral asking them to bust out a blue steak. 

(A few decades ago, I called the health department in on a Golden Corral. Got a gift certificate. Knew it was a buffet,  but M referred to it as a cattle lot style feeding situation after we got there and saw what was going on. The health department shut them down permanently.) 
    Not sure.  I know I couldn't eat eggs cooked all the way and like them.
    I do see a variety of cooks.....some where it is damn near cold in the middle and some where it is what I would call medium-rare.

I once microwaved a raw venison steak for one minute and ate it.  
    Was fucking great.  :lol:

• Options
    GlowGirl said:

I’m glad those came out the way you like them. It sounds like they were perfect for you. They look great on the plate, but they are a bit too rare for my personal taste. I like mine just slightly pink. I have the opposite problem as you in restaurants. A lot of chefs don’t like to cook the steaks medium well. I remember once having to send back a steak to be cooked a bit more three times. I felt really bad about it because I am not a person that often complains at restaurants but I just couldn’t eat it that rare. I am sure the chef thought it was a travesty  :s
    Yeah that is tough.  You pay for it so should get it how you like, or as close as they can get.

That is a travesty, though.  :lol:

• Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    Thanks - happy birthday to your wife!
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    Hey how did you cook those burgers the other night? Grill? Throw a slice a cheese on them?
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Hey how did you cook those burgers the other night? Grill? Throw a slice a cheese on them?
    I read as just putting a slice of cheese on them.  (This is after the steak picture.)
  • Options
    Hahaha. 
    Cast iron, rare - although for burgers it is typically more cooked than steaks.
  • Options
    eddieceddiec Posts: 3,835
    So I'm up in this Hobbit glamping site for a night for my niece's birthday.

I saw on their website they had a wood fired pizza oven so I packed my gear and went to work.

• Options
    RK50065RK50065 St. Louis, MO Posts: 885
    Holy shit that looks awesome!

(Pizza looks good too...)
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Fucking awesome!
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    You have the goods with your foods, man!
  • Options
    eddiec said:

I saw on their website they had a wood fired pizza oven so I packed my gear and went to work.

Wow. That looks great. What does the inside of the Hobbit hut look like?
  • Options
    Damn that pizza looks great!!!
  • Options
    Yeah, man. That is awesome and always impressive.
  • Options
    edited August 2020

That steak looks amazing. Such a nice, crispy looking char on the outside. Did you sear them in a pan?
    Post edited by eddiec on
  • Options
    GlowGirl said:
    eddiec said:

It was just a bedroom. Nice though. 
    It was glamping, so there were public compost toilets, but the place is small so it wasn't that bad. They did have a Game of Thrones bathroom. Strange but funny as hell and kinda cool.Mayo Glamping - An Claddagh fairy hut  OFFICIAL  Earth house
  • Options
    eddiec said:
    GlowGirl said:
    eddiec said:

It was just a bedroom. Nice though. 
    It was glamping, so there were public compost toilets, but the place is small so it wasn't that bad. They did have a Game of Thrones bathroom. Strange but funny as hell and kinda cool.Mayo Glamping - An Claddagh fairy hut  OFFICIAL  Earth house
    Pit toilet?  :fearful: 
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    The iron throne!
    Awesome.

Seared those steaks on stainless, per the videos I saw.  I will do on cast iron, the way I normally do steaks, the next time.  Iron in the oven to 550, them on the stove for a quick sear on each side, then back in the oven, quickly.

This was all on the stovetop.
  • Options
    One of my specialities, red beans and rice 

• Options
    One of my specialities, red beans and rice 

Yum. Is that andouille?