Options

The Food Thread

Comments

• Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,662
    deadendp said:
    deadendp said:
    Steamed and in the pan.  
    Nothing fancy, either way.
    Nothing added in either case....steam until they rip....in the pan until the skin is nice and marked up.
    Chopped (raw) onions and beer mustard for me.
    Mrs FMe loads hers up with kraut and mustard.
    Kid just wants on a roll.
    Oh yes.  Isn't New Jersey the place where buns are rolls and rolls are buns?  Or, do I remember that wrong?

Not sure.  They are interchangeable for me
    To me, a bun is sliced and filled as a sandwich.  (Most of the time.)  Honey buns, which I do not like, would break the bun rule. Really doesn't apply to me though. 

A roll is something that you generally do not slice (other than for butter or some fruited condiment) and is served with or as a meal.  

Anyone else care to weigh in on the bun vs. roll conversation?  Maybe it is just a NEOhio thing.  
    You don't like (to be called) honey buns?
    :lol:

A sugar delivery vehicle I do certainly appreciate.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,662
    As I reflect....
    If I were told that I had to choose which went for dogs and which went for burgers
    I would say rolls for dogs and buns for burgers.

I've generally used them both, though

• Options
    deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    deadendp said:
    deadendp said:
    Steamed and in the pan.  
    Nothing fancy, either way.
    Nothing added in either case....steam until they rip....in the pan until the skin is nice and marked up.
    Chopped (raw) onions and beer mustard for me.
    Mrs FMe loads hers up with kraut and mustard.
    Kid just wants on a roll.
    Oh yes.  Isn't New Jersey the place where buns are rolls and rolls are buns?  Or, do I remember that wrong?

Not sure.  They are interchangeable for me
    To me, a bun is sliced and filled as a sandwich.  (Most of the time.)  Honey buns, which I do not like, would break the bun rule. Really doesn't apply to me though. 

A roll is something that you generally do not slice (other than for butter or some fruited condiment) and is served with or as a meal.  

Anyone else care to weigh in on the bun vs. roll conversation?  Maybe it is just a NEOhio thing.  
    You don't like (to be called) honey buns?

A sugar delivery vehicle I do certainly appreciate.
    And here I thought you were a Zinger man. 
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • Options
    You know me very well.

Zingers laid out between two cinnamon rolls, acting like buns?
  • Options
    Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,810
    Buns for dogs, burgers. Rolls for hoagies, cheesesteaks, roast beef, meatballs, chicken parm, etc etc etcetera. 
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,918
    Buns for dogs, burgers. Rolls for hoagies, cheesesteaks, roast beef, meatballs, chicken parm, etc etc etcetera. 
    Agreed.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,605
    I wrote hot dog and burger buns on a shopping list today so there’s my vote 
  • Options
    Lobster Roll?

Do we just ignore because it is named that by the racist, incest, knuckle draggers from Beantown?

• Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    Lobster Roll?

Do we just ignore because it is named that by the racist, incest, knuckle draggers from Beantown?

The English language is better off if we automatically disqualify Boston from making any contributions to the lexicon. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    dankind said:
    Lobster Roll?

The English language is better off if we automatically disqualify Boston from making any contributions to the lexicon. 

I should not generalize like that, I know there are lots of good people from the area
    Dumb joke.  

I do love a good lobster roll
    So delicious!

• Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    That does look like some delicious beef!
    Bun/roll...
    Usually this kind of debate produces a strong response from me lol
    I'm pretty relaxed on this one though...I generally go with bun for the standard hotdog and burger supporters, but I don't dispute the validity of a split-top, Kaiser, pretzel, or hoagie roll.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    lmckenney24lmckenney24 Posts: 1,932
    Grilled Swordfish tonight. Forgot to take a picture of it plated, but topped with homemade pineapple salsa with smashed red potatoes
  • Options
    Those look grinding.  Haven't had s-word fish in a while
  • Options
    GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,957
    Went out for dinner to a Russian restaurant. They have all different types of infused vodkas. Had a chocolate martini and some chicken liver pate with cornichons. It was quite delicious. 

• Options
    Grilled Swordfish tonight. Forgot to take a picture of it plated, but topped with homemade pineapple salsa with smashed red potatoes
    Yum. Perfect grill marks. They must have been amazing with the pineapple salsa. Haven’t had swordfish in a really long time. 
  • Options
    lmckenney24lmckenney24 Posts: 1,932
    GlowGirl said:
    Yum. Perfect grill marks. They must have been amazing with the pineapple salsa. Haven’t had swordfish in a really long time. 
    It was really good. I haven't had it since I moved from Boston area a few years ago. My butcher here gets a few pounds of fish shipped in every friday, which happened to be sword this week.
  • Options
    Swordfish is so good!  
  • Options

130 scrambled eggs, 3lbs cheese, 4lbs bacon/ham mixture, 10lbs tomatoes, 2lbs hot and sweet peppers, 6 medium onions...
    55 breakfast burritos to cover lunches and quick dinners for the next month or two.  The only time we won't eat them is breakfast time because I make the day-fresh ones for breakfast lol
  • Options
    That is awesome.
    What tortillas do you prefer?
  • Options
    Also....they go in the freezer....what is the standard for thawing/heating?

Sorry, lots of questions, lol.
  • Options
    La Banderita extra large flour burrito.  I'm not too picky, the larger they are, the easier the wrap.  Those were on sale and they are the right size/thickness, plus they come 10 to a pack now instead of 8. 
    The best bet is to take it out of the freezer in the morning so it's at least partially thawed by lunch or fully thawed by dinner.  If you microwave from frozen they tend to get that lava spot/frozen spot syndrome that befalls long skinny frozen things in the microwave.
  • Options
    My preferred brand, as well.  
    Interesting 🤠 thanks!
  • Options
    rgambs said:

130 scrambled eggs, 3lbs cheese, 4lbs bacon/ham mixture, 10lbs tomatoes, 2lbs hot and sweet peppers, 6 medium onions...
    55 breakfast burritos to cover lunches and quick dinners for the next month or two.  The only time we won't eat them is breakfast time because I make the day-fresh ones for breakfast lol
    Nice. You must have a huge freezer. They sound delicious. I love breakfast burritos. Are you going to top them with homemade salsa from your garden?
  • Options
    PorchsitterPorchsitter Loganville, GA Posts: 1,069
    rgambs said:

Good God, this looks amazing. Now I'm hungry. I can't wait to get our new freezer for stuff like this. Of course, it'll be stocked with a side of beef at least initially so there won't be a lot of room.
    We are the facilitators of our own creative evolution.--Bill Hicks
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    I used to make tamales in bulk. Always nice to have something like that ready on those days when you don’t have the time, or maybe you just don’t have it in you, to prepare a meal. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    GlowGirl said:
    rgambs said:

Nice. You must have a huge freezer. They sound delicious. I love breakfast burritos. Are you going to top them with homemade salsa from your garden?
    It's already in there :)
    If you look closely you can see it in the black sauce pot.  It's cooked down to a thick paste, any moisture in the burrito separates out when it freezes, and doesn't recombine.  They can be quite drippy if you don't take steps to avoid it.  I cook the salsa down to paste and let it sit and separate for a few days, and I overcook the eggs as well.  There's quite a bit of water that comes out of them, even though I don't add milk.  The egg texture gets rather stiff in freezing anyways.
    They are delicious, but not nearly so delicious as freshly made.  It's more about preserving/making good use of excess eggs and produce than creating a gourmet eating experience.
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,918
    Hosting my moms bday tonight.  Eggplant rollatini, ham, chicken bruschetta, bow ties with pesto, orzo salad and pineapple bread.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    RK50065RK50065 St. Louis, MO Posts: 886
    edited August 2020
    No pizza @mcgruff10?!  :o

(Looks great)
  • Options
    Looks good!

Steaks....
    One black wagyu, one gold

Will try to get a good pic of the finished products

• Options
    bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,931
    Some good looking eats going on today, folks!  With the wagyu beef, is it true that the main difference is that they are working animals rather than just grazers that stand around?  Meaning they pull plows, etc. which leads to more muscle, marbling, flavor, etc..  I've heard that as well as the animals get massaged, at least the Japanese wagyu.  Not sure if either or both are accurate.  Anyone know?