Options

The Food Thread

Comments

• Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    That exchange might as well have been in Swahili.

You parents :lol:
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    Oh, Biscuit! You found a rotting human corpse! Funny dog!
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,643
    Ahahaha.  Yeah you are both correct.
    Hedo, Dankind is pointing out the basic response to anything Biscuit does.
    The books are boring but the kid loves Biscuit

Prepped a few different pork kabob marinades, vacuum sealed then and will open before grill time.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576

Another pork weekend lol
    Fresh uncured ham steak on the grill with red beans and rice, followed by pork jowl burnt ends.
    Nailed it with both.

That's my first time cooking fresh ham, it was good.  Very porky, dense texture, not as tender as a loin chop, but equal to a sirloin chop and better than a blade chop.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,643
    Will be interesting to see how many ways you will come up with to cook all of that pork.
    Those look good!
  • Options
    Will be interesting to see how many ways you will come up with to cook all of that pork.
    Those look good!
    Sure will be!  Of course I'll keep everyone up to date lol
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,603
    Seafood and cape May wine is becoming a Sunday tradition of sorts 

• Options
    rgambs said:

Another pork weekend lol
    Fresh uncured ham steak on the grill with red beans and rice, followed by pork jowl burnt ends.
    Nailed it with both.

That's my first time cooking fresh ham, it was good.  Very porky, dense texture, not as tender as a loin chop, but equal to a sirloin chop and better than a blade chop.
    That looks awesome. I would very much like some of that 
  • Options

Great tradition!
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524

Baked clam? I LOVE THOSE. There used to be a place we’d go to whose were second to none. Cannoli too. 
  • Options
    eddieceddiec Posts: 3,837
    edited June 2020
    rgambs said:

Another pork weekend lol
    Nailed it with both.

Looks fantastic. Good timing with your hog as well. Pork fat was just listed as the 8th most nutritious food in the world. Not sure how, but it was.
    https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20180126-the-100-most-nutritious-foods

Looks like a perfect Sunday summer dinner.
  • Options
    ^^That does look like a lovely summer meal.  BBQ is a summer food because it's a good time for the preparation, but it's really too heavy for eating in the heat, and would be a better meal for the cold season.

I'm not surprised about the pork fat... People confuse "healthy" with "nutritious" all the time, and give little thought to what either means as well.  It's sort of a hobby horse issue for me, so I'll go ahead and give my thoughts here in this place devoted to thoughts on food.

"Healthy" food is not really something I even believe in at all.  I don't much believe in unhealthy foods, either, with a few exceptions.  
    It's not the individual foods that are healthy or unhealthy, it's the accumulation of foods that makes your diet that is healthy or unhealthy, or more accurately, balanced or unbalanced.
    Our Western (American in particular) diets are unhealthily skewed towards sugars and fats, there's no doubt about that.  The pushback against that though leads to some weird ideas.
    The perfect example is salad greens...Even if we throw iceberg lettuce out and focus on the healthiest greens, we're talking kale, mustard greens, etc, you are looking at food that is only marginally nutritious.  If you want to live off meat alone, you can do it.  You can live 50-70 years before you die of colorectal cancer on red meat (everyone's favorite skapegoat) alone.  How long can you live on kale alone?  Probably less than a year. 
    So which food is actually healthier?  
  • Options
    bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,931
    Interesting points above and makes you think. I try and limit my red meat consumption and stick to more chicken, fish and “leaner” meats like ground turkey or bison instead of ground beef. I do love a steak, sausage, etc as much as the next person though (on occasion). 

Another one that shows conflicting data is the egg yolk debate.  Good cholesterol or bad?
  • Options
    Also, great eats above this weekend! All looks great.  We made a different type of burger last night. Ground turkey with spinach and feta. Then tzatziki on top. No mustard or ketchup. It was really good. It reminded me of eating a gyro. Oh, and homemade fries too. 

• Options
    The tzatziki makes that sound great.  Turkey burgers get so dry that I feel they need something like that (cado is my normal) to help it out.

Listened to a cool interview of my dude Mark Bittman this weekend, during which he shares some of his thoughts on what is healthy....
    Thought you might find interesting, Gambs, or any others.

I love his take on plant based meat subs.

https://www.cbc.ca/listen/live-radio/1-63-the-current/clip/15762653-mark-bittman-on-plant-based-meat
  • Options
    bbiggs said:
    Interesting points above and makes you think. I try and limit my red meat consumption and stick to more chicken, fish and “leaner” meats like ground turkey or bison instead of ground beef. I do love a steak, sausage, etc as much as the next person though (on occasion). 

Another one that shows conflicting data is the egg yolk debate.  Good cholesterol or bad?
    Considering they are not able to link dietary cholesterol to blood levels, I'm not really worried about it.  
  • Options
    The tzatziki makes that sound great.  Turkey burgers get so dry that I feel they need something like that (cado is my normal) to help it out.

Listened to a cool interview of my dude Mark Bittman this weekend, during which he shares some of his thoughts on what is healthy....

https://www.cbc.ca/listen/live-radio/1-63-the-current/clip/15762653-mark-bittman-on-plant-based-meat
    Yeah, I pretty much agree.  I mean, plant based diets are healthier, but the meat substitute thing is a weird processed food-zone.
    There was a post of vegan salmon on the vegan/veggie thread and it looked like disgusting lab-created "food".
  • Options
    rgambs said:

Yeah, I pretty much agree.  I mean, plant based diets are healthier, but the meat substitute thing is a weird processed food-zone.
    There was a post of vegan salmon on the vegan/veggie thread and it looked like disgusting lab-created "food".
    Agree on both of those things.
    I think the screaming about plant based / engineered stuff gets carried away.
    I laughed when he said how gross he thought Impossible was.  
    (I like the Beyond stuff I have had just fine - but it sure as hell doesn't taste like meat.)
  • Options
    Plant-based diets are not a bad thing, but the plant-based meat substitutes are questionable in my opinion.  Like it was said above, they're processed lab food that tend to be sodium bombs as well.  I'll take my chances with the real thing, but that's not to knock anyone who wants to go the other route.  I try to live by the mantra, "all things in moderation."
  • Options
    eddieceddiec Posts: 3,837
    My new knife arrived today. 
    Shigeki Tanaka 210mm Gyuto
    Silver steel #3
    Nashiji finish

• Options
    deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    Here is the thing though, I saw the vegan salmon post.  The person who posted does very vocally lead a vegan lifestyle and I feel that since he doesn't come here and completely blast us for eating meat, we might want to consider extending that same courtesy.  Just a thought.  
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • Options
    deadendp said:
    Here is the thing though, I saw the vegan salmon post.  The person who posted does very vocally lead a vegan lifestyle and I feel that since he doesn't come here and completely blast us for eating meat, we might want to consider extending that same courtesy.  Just a thought.  
    We aren't blasting him.  
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    rgambs said:
    deadendp said:
    We aren't blasting him.  
    Fair enough.  The description, "Disgusting lab-created food," threw me off.  Apologies to all. 
  • Options
    I didn't share on his thread that it looked nasty and the idea of engineered salmon seems wild to me - I am happy to see that he is finding things he likes to eat.  
    I eat loads of stuff (or drink loads of stuff) that I am sure are way worse for me than star trek salmon.
    Did agree that it looks and sounds gross, to me.
    His lifestyle is healthier than mine, I would have to figure 
    However, in the audio session I linked to, Bittman speaks at some length around the engineered alternatives and if they are healthier or better for the environment....and the jury is out in many cases.  I don't think anyone doubts that it is better to eat more plants and that type of stuff than majority meats....or at least I don't know why they would 

Anyway. . I don't begrudge anyone their science experiment foods, I quite like some things that are completely unnatural.  (A Twinkie is like Plant Based Salmon in that regard.)
  • Options
    Think it is an interesting topic in the food thread - what people eat and what is considered healthy or good for the planet - so much to learn.  Bittman is a leading voice in the arena, but there are certainly many other voices as well.
    (Michael Pollan is another I enjoy learning from)
  • Options
    I've shifted my thinking on this topic and they way I eat as a result of it over the last few years.  I've slipped a bit as of late, but was really limiting my red meat intake, and meat in general, for 2+ years.  3 things I try to eat minimally or limit:  red meat, added sugars and saturated fats.  It's not always easy though.  I splurge on weekends typically.
  • Options
    eddiec said:
    Silver steel #3
    Nashiji finish

Sweet jesus that's a beauty.
  • Options
    eddiec said:
    Silver steel #3
    Nashiji finish

+1
  • Options
    deadendp said:
    eddiec said:
    Silver steel #3
    Nashiji finish

+1
    +2! (Except I say Sweet FSM)
  • Options
    That is a fine piece of craftsmanship right there.  Awesome, I know a hobby blacksmith, but he doesn't do work nearly that fine lol

With the price tag on a knife like that, I would probably be afraid to use it ever lol