Options

The Food Thread

Comments

• Options
    deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    Using the heat outside for a variety of things today up to and including as a proving drawer to raise bread dough. It's in a lock lid bowl with a dampened cloth napkin on top to add humidity. So far, it looks like it is working. 🤞
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • Options

Super crunchy crust. Not a giant loaf. This was a no knead Dutch oven bread. Tastes great! Out in the sun (99 F here today) cut four hours off of the proving time. Not perfect, but better than my last loaf. :smile:
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,617
    deadendp said:

Super crunchy crust. Not a giant loaf. This was a no knead Dutch oven bread. Tastes great! Out in the sun (99 F here today) cut four hours off of the proving time. Not perfect, but better than my last loaf. :smile:
    That looks great.  
    What do you "bread" with?

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    This may not be what you asked for. 

3 cups AP flour
    1 t rapid rise yeast
    2 t sea salt
    1 1/2 c water (between 110-115 F)

Let bread rise 8 hours or overnight. 

Rise, punch down, rest a half hour. Preheat cast iron Dutch oven with lid at 450 for 1/2 hour. 

Shape bread on parchment, slice top, drop into Dutch oven. Bake at 450 with lid on, then 15 minutes with lid off. 

I think I needed to leave it lid on for 5 more minutes. It's just slightly damp inside. 
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,617
    Ha!  I was totally unclear and you gave some great info.  Thanks!
    (The way you type it out makes it seem easier than I thought it would be....I am not a baker so I will mess it up!)

Was wondering what you did with that bread. 
    Do you put a pat of butter on it and chow down?
    Some jam?
    Slice it and put some delicious food stuffings between 2 pieces?
    Just grab a hunk and use it however you see fit?

• Options
    eddiec said:
    My new knife arrived today. 
    Shigeki Tanaka 210mm Gyuto
    Silver steel #3
    Nashiji finish

I started searching for that knife and similar knives....

Yeah, I need to stop.

:lol:
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    I was givin' some head to some french bread.  —Mr. B

I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    Head and Bread.
    Two of the best thing you could get!
  • Options
    Butter on the lil end I snagged.

So i really did misunderstand! :lol: Sorry about that!
  • Options
    FifthelementFifthelement Lotusland Posts: 6,907
    deadendp said:

That looks delicious.

Tonight’s supper offering was Chicken Fried Rice.  I used the leftover chicken from my grilled honey lime cilantro chicken from the other night.  I also added some leftover cauliflower and some fresh fried mushrooms to it.

"What the CANUCK happened?!? - Esquimalt Barber Shop
  • Options
    GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,840
    deadendp said:
    This may not be what you asked for. 

3 cups AP flour
    1 t rapid rise yeast
    2 t sea salt
    1 1/2 c water (between 110-115 F)

Let bread rise 8 hours or overnight. 

Rise, punch down, rest a half hour. Preheat cast iron Dutch oven with lid at 450 for 1/2 hour. 

Shape bread on parchment, slice top, drop into Dutch oven. Bake at 450 with lid on, then 15 minutes with lid off. 

I think I needed to leave it lid on for 5 more minutes. It's just slightly damp inside. 
    Looks great. I may need to try this. 
  • Options
    deadendp said:

That looks delicious.

Tonight’s supper offering was Chicken Fried Rice.  I used the leftover chicken from my grilled honey lime cilantro chicken from the other night.  I also added some leftover cauliflower and some fresh fried mushrooms to it.

Looks delicious!
  • Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    deadendp said:

Yum. Nothing better than fresh baked bread out of the oven. And no-knead is the way to go! Long proof for good fermentation, and the dutch oven for a great rise/steam while baking, and an excellent crust. Looks great!
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    deadendp said:

I would eat that like I used to do with challah as a kid: Reach in and grab a soft chunk from the middle. Yum!
  • Options
    hedonist said:
    deadendp said:

I would eat that like I used to do with challah as a kid: Reach in and grab a soft chunk from the middle. Yum!
    You're a MONSTER!!!
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    dankind said:
    hedonist said:
    deadendp said:

You're a MONSTER!!!
    I’m a Shiksa!!!
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576

Fresh ham, jasmine rice, and the years first snap peas and onion lightly sauteed.  The first snap peas that made it into the house, at least lol
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    Sauce is just House of Tsang General Tso's, but I doctor it up a bit to make it better, much like we all do with baked beans.
  • Options
    edited June 2020

My husband's skinny sandwich. He loved the bread. Allergic to barley, sensitive to wheat. He wanted me to see if I could find just a regular enriched generic bread for him to try. All standard packaged white breads that I have found now have barley. 

Homemade it is. (Yes, I need to check bakeries.) He approves. Now if only his digestive system does. 
    Post edited by deadendp on
  • Options
    deadendp said:

My husband's skinny sandwich. He loved the bread. Allergic to barley, sensitive to wheat. He wanted me to see if I could find just a regular enriched generic bread for him to try. All standard packaged white breads that I have found now have barley. 

Homemade it is. (Yes, I need to check bakeries.) He approves. Now if only his digestive system does. 
    That looks great. I love sandwiches. Using homemade bread just takes it to a whole new level. I hope your husband's digestive system cooperates.

• Options
    rgambs said:

Fresh ham, jasmine rice, and the years first snap peas and onion lightly sauteed.  The first snap peas that made it into the house, at least lol
    deadendp said:

I’m sending a porcine theme here for dinner.  Both meals look so delicious.  Mmmm to the fresh peas.
  • Options

Mediterranean pasta tonight.
  • Options
    That looks absolutely fantastic!
  • Options
    Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Washington DC Posts: 7,250
    If you baked cod for one dish, and you have leftovers, and you decide to put them in a wrap the next day, what type of dressing would you put on top?
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • Options
    A little hot sauce
    (Always a good answer)

Some light soy or ponzu?
  • Options
    I always make a nice whitefish salad (mayo, deli mustard, some chopped bread and butter pickles or relish).
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    dankind said:
    I always make a nice whitefish salad (mayo, deli mustard, some chopped bread and butter pickles or relish).
    Yeah, can't go wrong with a nice tartar-style
  • Options
    While that pasta dish up there looks primo, where do you folks stand on olives themselves?

I love the oil but in its original form?  Nope.  Too salty and the taste just doesn't do it for me.  I know some people who absolutely love all or specific varieties.

It's another food on my "tried but won't eat anymore" list.
  • Options
    So many different types.   I like most of them....
  • Options
    hedonist said:
    While that pasta dish up there looks primo, where do you folks stand on olives themselves?

I love the oil but in its original form?  Nope.  Too salty and the taste just doesn't do it for me.  I know some people who absolutely love all or specific varieties.

It's another food on my "tried but won't eat anymore" list.
    I love olives. There are many different types Each with their unique taste and textures. Some I love better than others. I just can’t stand those black olives that come in a can. But I love most other kinds. Capers as well.