Options

The Food Thread

Comments

• Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,667
    One if my favorite things about making pizza is that the next day I always have a load to sauce left.
    Will be spaghetti night.  Two days of lardo food but the taste .....!
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    PorchsitterPorchsitter Loganville, GA Posts: 1,069
    Good morning from the easy coast. The sun is up, the pork is rubbed, the hickory burning, the fire is at 278, and the coffee is brewed.  A happy Saturday. How are you all spending your weekend?
    We are the facilitators of our own creative evolution.--Bill Hicks
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,667
    That is anything of fricking beauty.

Out the door early, a 5 mile run, back in, showered, fed the 6 year old and just made a nice breakfast burrito (minus the roll ...looks more like a quesadilla...) - eggs, peppers, olives, cheese, salsa, basil.  

This is the way to start a Saturday morning, for me, but now I don't have a glorious smoked pork dinner to look forward to!

• Options
    Man, that looks great. It's pics like that that makes it hard for me to stick to intermittent fasting. Now I'm hungry.
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    I generally stick to that as well.  Usually one time per week I will eat outside of the 8 hr window and have breakfast.  This week it was 2x but my body was yelling at me this morning so I decided to feed it.
  • Options
    Yeah, I try to stay on plan 6 days a week as well and give myself an out at least one day, but that one day is typically Sunday so I'm holding out for Father's Day.
  • Options
    bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,931
    That is anything of fricking beauty.

Out the door early, a 5 mile run, back in, showered, fed the 6 year old and just made a nice breakfast burrito (minus the roll ...looks more like a quesadilla...) - eggs, peppers, olives, cheese, salsa, basil.  

This is the way to start a Saturday morning, for me, but now I don't have a glorious smoked pork dinner to look forward to!

Damn that looks excellent. I need a breakfast burrito big time. The 5 mile run sounds excellent too but it’s gonna have to wait today. A night of pre Father’s Day cocktails got the best of me. 😂
  • Options
    I did not drink last night so I could run early and feel good.  The hot weather and humidity can make something simple seem grueling.  
    Tomorrow is a "cross" day on schedule so I can just swim or walk or something.  Easy to do after a night of martinis, so I can do that tonight.

What is for dinner....wish I had a pork butt smoking.  (@porchsitter what piece of pork are you doing?)
  • Options
    eddieceddiec Posts: 3,840
    edited June 2020
    I learned something new today: I've never actually eaten Wasabi.
    Apparently most Japanese restaurants (even in Japan), don't serve the real thing. They use horseradish mixed with mustard and food coloring. https://www.huffpost.com/entry/fake-wasabi-horseradish_n_561bd666e4b0082030a33959

Long story short. My fish guy bought three Blue Fin Tuna down in Cork off a Spanish boat. He also advertised that for the first time ever, he had real Wasbabi. So I lined up early this morning for a nice cut of Chutoro and Japanese wasabi. This little piece I'm holding cost me 17 bucks! Hopefully it's worth it.

Post edited by eddiec on
  • Options
    Yeah, real wasabi is a game changer.  If that shit doesn't get freshly grated you have not have the real deal.
    You are going to love it.
    I enjoy it without anything else, even.
    Blissful.
  • Options
    bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,931
    Is it as spicy as the stuff we get at a sushi joint? Same flavor? 
  • Options
    GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,995
    I did not drink last night so I could run early and feel good.  The hot weather and humidity can make something simple seem grueling.  
    Tomorrow is a "cross" day on schedule so I can just swim or walk or something.  Easy to do after a night of martinis, so I can do that tonight.

What is for dinner....wish I had a pork butt smoking.  (@porchsitter what piece of pork are you doing?)
    I got up earlier than usual to run as well. That’s great you did five miles. That was my goal as well. But the heat got to me at 4.5 miles and I stopped. Plus I got to the point where the sweat was really burning my eyes. If the gym was open it would have been a treadmill day. Your breakfast burrito looks delicious. Nice reward for a good run. 
  • Options
    bbiggs said:
    Is it as spicy as the stuff we get at a sushi joint? Same flavor? 
    I dont feel it is very spicy but the taste/flavor is much better, imo.
  • Options
    MF117973 said:

I got up earlier than usual to run as well. That’s great you did five miles. That was my goal as well. But the heat got to me at 4.5 miles and I stopped. Plus I got to the point where the sweat was really burning my eyes. If the gym was open it would have been a treadmill day. Your breakfast burrito looks delicious. Nice reward for a good run. 

I'm glad that the back end of this training schedule will be in the fall/winter when it is cold out.  Can't be running 15-20 miles in this heat...the reward for that is collapsing.  ;)
  • Options
    deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    edited June 2020
    I'm just telling y'all now that if you see me running, something very bad is happening. 
    Post edited by deadendp on
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • Options
    GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,995
    MF117973 said:

I'm glad that the back end of this training schedule will be in the fall/winter when it is cold out.  Can't be running 15-20 miles in this heat...the reward for that is collapsing.  ;)
    Are you training for a marathon? 15-20 miles. I can’t even imagine. 
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Good morning from the easy coast. The sun is up, the pork is rubbed, the hickory burning, the fire is at 278, and the coffee is brewed.  A happy Saturday. How are you all spending your weekend?
    You got a butt going?? Make sure you show off the finished product! 
    I'm going to smoke more pork jowl burnt ends tomorrow.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    eddieceddiec Posts: 3,840

Nice setup.

• Options
    MF117973 said:
    MF117973 said:

Are you training for a marathon? 15-20 miles. I can’t even imagine. 
    Yep.  
  • Options
    deadendp said:
    I'm just telling y'all now that if you see me running, something very bad is happening. 
    Someone is chasing you?

With some bad food?

• Options
    deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    deadendp said:
    Someone is chasing you?

With some bad food?
    Nope. I just don't run unless something drastic is going on. Good on you for enjoying a run. 

I guess if I were to run from food, it would be shellfish since it could kill me.
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • Options
    rgambs said:
    You got a butt going?? Make sure you show off the finished product! 
    I'm going to smoke more pork jowl burnt ends tomorrow.
    Yep! 11 hours in and still have 17 degrees to go. Luckily, I threw some chicken thighs on at hour 4. Those came out great. Hoping for the same with the butt.
  • Options
    CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,241
    Caught some Bluefin last week 30 mile south of the Hamptons, Long Island

made some poke as an app for my brother in laws birthday today

came our fantastic 
  • Options
    Wow it tastes best when you catch it!
    Love that.
    Did you eat any on the boat?
    Nothing beats minutes old fish.  :)
  • Options
    Love that.
    We did an overnighter on my buddies 36ft Grady White, Coimbra wreck..... sharking at night, caught n released all blue sharks (looking for makos/ threshers) no luck.... started a troll at 4:15am.... ten minutes later we were on them...... bunch of whales, prob saw 1000 dolphin, sea turtles and blue fin galore...... we didn’t do any tuna sashimi this time... but caught fluke inshore and made sashimi salad( fantastic)

it was a great trip
  • Options

So 12 straight hours of sitting outside in the hot sun in front of a controlled fire inside a metal box yielded this magnificent dinner (and a few more in the near future).
  • Options
    CROJAM95 said:
    Love that.
    We did an overnighter on my buddies 36ft Grady White, Coimbra wreck..... sharking at night, caught n released all blue sharks (looking for makos/ threshers) no luck.... started a troll at 4:15am.... ten minutes later we were on them...... bunch of whales, prob saw 1000 dolphin, sea turtles and blue fin galore...... we didn’t do any tuna sashimi this time... but caught fluke inshore and made sashimi salad( fantastic)

it was a great trip
    I love trips like that.  Amazing.
    Glad to hear of it!
  • Options

So 12 straight hours of sitting outside in the hot sun in front of a controlled fire inside a metal box yielded this magnificent dinner (and a few more in the near future).
    That looks amazing!
  • Options
    CROJAM95 said:
    Love that.

it was a great trip
    I love trips like that.  Amazing.
    Glad to hear of it!
    My buddy is out right now, 100miles offshore... he has a satellite phone.... they caught a few 150lb bigeye tuna.... I was gonna go, I can’t do it every weekend.... it kicks your ass
  • Options
    Understand.  24 hour trips are most I've done and it messes with you.