The Food Thread

Comments

• F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    That looks really good!
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    Did not suck
    The Louisiana episode is the best episode 
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    I live the Louisiana adventure every year.  
    #july
    I live the Louisiana adventure every year.  
    #july
    Yeah...fuck right off 
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    Finished

Oh my!! I haven’t had good octopus in a while!
    Finished

Oh my!! I haven’t had good octopus in a while!
    It’s so good. Olive oil, salt, pepper and lemon
  • eddieceddiec Posts: 3,832
    Finished

Looks great.
    Nice char. Did you boil/bake it first?
    eddiec said:
    Finished

Looks great.
    Nice char. Did you boil/bake it first?
    Yeah, boiled/simmered it for about an hour before letting it cool a bit and popping it on a piping hot grill 
  • jerparker20jerparker20 St. Paul, MN Posts: 2,399

Knocked out some kimchi this earlier this week. Had with chicken and rice noodles last night. Very tasty.
  • NinetytworulesNinetytworules Boston Posts: 454
    Massachusetts culinary contribution. Clams!!
    edited June 2018
    I had some clams myself.  
    Smashed reds
    Pepper salad
    Sockeye salmon
    Snow crab clusters
    Clams
    Roasted cauliflower w/balsamic raisin reduction

Had to drink the rest of the wine whole cooking after setting aside 1/2 a cup to steam the clams.  ;)
    Three of us + th toddler.  Very small amount left over and zero of the shellfish, of course.

I love Hungry Harvest delivery day.  The mystery box today, revealed.

I had some clams myself.  
    Smashed reds
    Pepper salad
    Sockeye salmon
    Snow crab clusters
    Clams

Had to drink the rest of the wine whole cooking after setting aside 1/2 a cup to steam the clams.  ;)
    Three of us + th toddler.  Very small amount left over and zero of the shellfish, of course.

Clams look good!! As does everything else.

Knocked out some kimchi this earlier this week. Had with chicken and rice noodles last night. Very tasty.
    I am interested in making some home made kimchi one of these days.
    ^^^ Interesting, would love to do this.
  • eddieceddiec Posts: 3,832
    I had some clams myself.  
    Smashed reds
    Pepper salad
    Sockeye salmon
    Snow crab clusters
    Clams

Looks great.
  • jerparker20jerparker20 St. Paul, MN Posts: 2,399

I am interested in making some home made kimchi one of these days.
    I find fermentation to be fasinating. It's super easy. Going to make some sauerkraut after I get back from vacation next week.
    Low carb day.

Low carb day.

That looks nice. 
    Love that there is hot sauce in the picture as well.  Cholula was a 'gateway drug' for me.  :)
    Cholula is pretty good, but Tapatio is my go-to, every day hot sauce.
    Cholula is pretty good, but Tapatio is my go-to, every day hot sauce.
    I’ve seen that one around I’ll have to give it a shot 
    I loved Tapatio and when in CA it seemingly was at the table at every other place we went.
    Never on the table where I am now.

Here are the Top 3 most used this month.  (#1 has been for the past few years)

Texas Champagne - this is my 'every meal' one and I order them 6 at a time. 

Secret Aardvark - gone through one bottle already after recently getting.  Know I shared when I got it in.  It is addictive. Not really hot but it tastes great on almost everything.
    Vermont Habs - I got a batch of these for Christmas and just recently got stuck on the Habs sauce.  It is spicy, but good.

Aardvark is an excellent sauce, kinda has that mexican restaurant table sauce taste to it.  I've seen the Vermont Habs but haven't tried it, pretty sure you can order it from Heatonist so I might throw a bottle in when the Last Dab Reduxx is released.  I've not seen the Texas Champagne but I have had some Jardine's salsa & barbecue sauce and they're good stuff.
    edited June 2018
    Aardvark is an excellent sauce, kinda has that mexican restaurant table sauce taste to it.  I've seen the Vermont Habs but haven't tried it, pretty sure you can order it from Heatonist so I might throw a bottle in when the Last Dab Reduxx is released.  I've not seen the Texas Champagne but I have had some Jardine's salsa & barbecue sauce and they're good stuff.
    Butterfly makes a nice Ghost sauce as well.  It doesn't taste like and actual Ghost Pepper (or it would not be nice!) but has a nice flavor of one.  (Unlike Dave's Insanity shit -- which is horrid for my stomach and ass.)
    Agree on Aardvark.  If a person doesn't like hot sauce they would find it hot, but it is just a bit of heat with a wonderful flavor and texture.  Really good.
    Jardine's tastes good.  Not hot, but hotter than Cholula or Tapatio or La Valentina, which seem to be the 3 go-to table sauces when eating out. 
    You have to report back when you get the Reduxx and tell us how it is.  The Scorpion Last Dab shit is good in small amounts but I pushed it recently by putting a dab on 5-6 different (small) pieces of beef and then eating them all.  Too strong for me.  I wasn't dying but I would no way want to eat a wing tossed entirely in that stuff.

• rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Cholula makes a nice base for adding your own additional heat.  

I'm almost jealous of y'all's hot sauce varieties, but I can't bring myself to actually purchase hot sauce.  I just can't do it.  I'll just have to make a greater variety this year when the hot sauce hodown comes around.

Wild black raspberries are just beginning to come ripe, only a handful at a time right now, but the gallon-a-day explosion will happen within a week and I will be hard put to picking them all.  It will be an hour or two of picking every day for 2 weeks and I won't get half of them. They are late and staggered this year so they will coincide somewhat with my blueberry bushes, which is nice because they pair very well for pie and cobbler.  
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
    edited June 2018
    Butterfly makes a nice Ghost sauce as well.  It doesn't taste like and actual Ghost Pepper (or it would not be nice!) but has a nice flavor of one.  (Unlike Dave's Insanity shit -- which is horrid for my stomach and ass.)
    Agree on Aardvark.  If a person doesn't like hot sauce they would find it hot, but it is just a bit of heat with a wonderful flavor and texture.  Really good.
    Jardine's tastes good.  Not hot, but hotter than Cholula or Tapatio or La Valentina, which seem to be the 3 go-to table sauces when eating out. 
    You have to report back when you get the Reduxx and tell us how it is.  The Scorpion Last Dab shit is good in small amounts but I pushed it recently by putting a dab on 5-6 different (small) pieces of beef and then eating them all.  Too strong for me.  I wasn't dying but I would no way want to eat a wing tossed entirely in that stuff.

The Scorpion Last Dab is my least favorite of the three.  I like the Reaper edition the best, with the regular close behind.  Then the Scorpion in a distant 3rd.  Like 1a, 1b, 3c.  I'm excited about the Reduxx.  Pepper X and chocolate Pepper X sounds like it will be amazing.  I really dig the flavor profile of the Pepper X (probably because it's a Reaper hybrid and I love Reapers).

I have 2 bottles of the Los Calientes on the way.  Super excited to try that on some fresh tacos. I missed the final sale of Fiery Chiptole but a buddy of mine had a bottle. It was declicious, but very thin. Really couldn't put it on much but eggs.
    Post edited by HesCalledDyer on

The Scorpion Last Dab is my least favorite of the three.  I like the Reaper edition the best, with the regular close behind.  Then the Scorpion in a distant 3rd.  Like 1a, 1b, 3c.  I'm excited about the Reduxx.  Pepper X and chocolate Pepper X sounds like it will be amazing.  I really dig the flavor profile of the Pepper X (probably because it's a Reaper hybrid and I love Reapers).

I have 2 bottles of the Los Calientes on the way.  Super excited to try that on some fresh tacos. I missed the final sale of Fiery Chiptole but a buddy of mine had a bottle. It was declicious, but very thin. Really couldn't put it on much but eggs.
    I could not hang with your hot sauce love.  I would love to have a dab of things with you but clearly you have a much higher tolerance for heat than I do.
    Interested to hear about Los Cal and I did not try Fiery Chipotle, but want to.
    rgambs said:
    Cholula makes a nice base for adding your own additional heat.  

I'm almost jealous of y'all's hot sauce varieties, but I can't bring myself to actually purchase hot sauce.  I just can't do it.  I'll just have to make a greater variety this year when the hot sauce hodown comes around.

Wild black raspberries are just beginning to come ripe, only a handful at a time right now, but the gallon-a-day explosion will happen within a week and I will be hard put to picking them all.  It will be an hour or two of picking every day for 2 weeks and I won't get half of them. They are late and staggered this year so they will coincide somewhat with my blueberry bushes, which is nice because they pair very well for pie and cobbler.  
    Did I share the pic from when I was cleaning my fridge last week of all of the hot sauces? 

I could not hang with your hot sauce love.  I would love to have a dab of things with you but clearly you have a much higher tolerance for heat than I do.
    Interested to hear about Los Cal and I did not try Fiery Chipotle, but want to.
    The restaurant I go to every Thursday for wings made a special hot sauce just for me.  Their "hot" is actually pretty freakin hot most of the time, the average person who is used to "chain store hot" would not be able to handle it. They have quite a disparity between their buffalo levels - mild is basically 80:20 butter to Frank's ratio, medium is chain store hot, and hot is extra extra hot.  The off-menu flavor, which they call "Nasty" is extreme hot, but has a much larger flavor profile than the regular hots, which makes them a bit easier to consume.

While I do get a rush from the extreme hot sauces, I try to keep it at moderation for the sake of my stomach and sphincter, lol.  There is only so much waking up at 4am and not being able to go back to sleep that my digestive system can handle.  As a daily use, something the likes of Tapatio, Cholula, Aardvark, or Melinda's  suits me perfectly well.