Options

The Pizza Thread

Comments

• Options
    RiotZactRiotZact Posts: 6,207
    To try a deep dish in Chicago, life goal.
    Same! Can’t wait to achieve it in 6 1/2 months!
  • Options
    Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    Turned up at my sister's place just then and was asked if I am up for pizza tonight. Hell fking yeah. Price I pay is excercise tomorrow morning.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Options
    bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,931
    RiotZact said:
    bbiggs said:
    RiotZact said:
    Holy fuckballs does that Sicilian look good. Just looked up this Spumoni Gardens place too, I really fucking need to take a yearlong vacation in NY sometime. I think I could eat pizza twice a day for a year if it was as good as some of these pics you NY/NJers post. 
    I hope you want to do this to sightsee and not just for the pie. If you really want to go to where the best pizza is, head due west about 1,000 miles...
    Luckily I’m hitting Chicago for the Wrigley shows! I have a lot of work to do in 3 1/2 days though, I want to try at least 2 Italian beef sandwiches, 1 hot dog, 1 deep dish, and 1 thin/regular crust pizza. I’ve heard some Chicago peeps in this thread talk about how Chicago has an amazing pizza game outside of the stereotypical deep dish, any you could recommend? Googling it only brings up a million hits on deep dish. 
    Sounds like you’re hitting all the important food spots lol.  Most of the deep dish spots also have great thin crust. Lou Malnatis, Giordanos or Gino’s East for example. If you’re only hitting two spots I probably wouldn’t mess around outside of those.  Coalfire is a good thin crust spot and Piece is a cool spot with thin crust and a great brewery.  I’d stick with the top 3...can’t go wrong with deep or thin!  And a sneaky spot the day of the shows near the ballpark is HVAC. Not the greatest pie in the world but so damn good when you’re hungry after a few beers and it’s right by Wrigley in the thick of it all! 
  • Options
    bbiggs said:
    RiotZact said:
    bbiggs said:
    RiotZact said:
    Holy fuckballs does that Sicilian look good. Just looked up this Spumoni Gardens place too, I really fucking need to take a yearlong vacation in NY sometime. I think I could eat pizza twice a day for a year if it was as good as some of these pics you NY/NJers post. 
    I hope you want to do this to sightsee and not just for the pie. If you really want to go to where the best pizza is, head due west about 1,000 miles...
    Luckily I’m hitting Chicago for the Wrigley shows! I have a lot of work to do in 3 1/2 days though, I want to try at least 2 Italian beef sandwiches, 1 hot dog, 1 deep dish, and 1 thin/regular crust pizza. I’ve heard some Chicago peeps in this thread talk about how Chicago has an amazing pizza game outside of the stereotypical deep dish, any you could recommend? Googling it only brings up a million hits on deep dish. 
    Sounds like you’re hitting all the important food spots lol.  Most of the deep dish spots also have great thin crust. Lou Malnatis, Giordanos or Gino’s East for example. If you’re only hitting two spots I probably wouldn’t mess around outside of those.  Coalfire is a good thin crust spot and Piece is a cool spot with thin crust and a great brewery.  I’d stick with the top 3...can’t go wrong with deep or thin!  And a sneaky spot the day of the shows near the ballpark is HVAC. Not the greatest pie in the world but so damn good when you’re hungry after a few beers and it’s right by Wrigley in the thick of it all! 
    Thanks for the tips! I’ll definitely go to some of those places. Coalfire in particular looks amazing, look at these dollops of whipped ricotta!

• Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,628
    Oh nice!
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    RiotZact said:
    bbiggs said:
    RiotZact said:
    bbiggs said:
    RiotZact said:
    Thanks for the tips! I’ll definitely go to some of those places. Coalfire in particular looks amazing, look at these dollops of whipped ricotta!

Glad to help! Enjoy! And fwiw, if you only make it to one spot, do Lou Malnatis. Hit me up if you need any pointers on beefs and dogs! 
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,892
    bbiggs said:
    RiotZact said:
    bbiggs said:
    RiotZact said:
    bbiggs said:
    RiotZact said:

Glad to help! Enjoy! And fwiw, if you only make it to one spot, do Lou Malnatis. Hit me up if you need any pointers on beefs and dogs! 
    is lou's near the magnificent mile or do I have to uber?
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    To try a deep dish in Chicago, life goal.
    I 've had it, definitely good but I like thin crust better.
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,628
    Lou's gives me the trots.
    I believe they have a few locations.  
  • Options
    bbiggs said:
    RiotZact said:
    bbiggs said:
    RiotZact said:
    bbiggs said:
    RiotZact said:

Yeah Lou’s was the one with the best yelp reviews(and now your recommendation), so I’m probably going to hit that for deep dish and Coalfire for thin crust. 
  • Options
    God I love leftovers. 

• Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,747
    RiotZact said:
    bbiggs said:
    RiotZact said:
    bbiggs said:
    RiotZact said:
    bbiggs said:
    RiotZact said:

Yeah Lou’s was the one with the best yelp reviews(and now your recommendation), so I’m probably going to hit that for deep dish and Coalfire for thin crust. 
    Yeah definitely do Lou's for deep dish...it's the best out of all of them.  
  • Options
    RiotZact said:
    bbiggs said:
    RiotZact said:
    bbiggs said:
    RiotZact said:
    bbiggs said:
    RiotZact said:

Is there a good beer selection at lou’s?
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    bbiggs said:
    RiotZact said:
    bbiggs said:
    RiotZact said:
    bbiggs said:
    RiotZact said:

No Uber bud. There’s one in river north which will be maybe a six block walk from you. Not far at all. 
  • Options

mcgruff10 said:
    RiotZact said:
    bbiggs said:
    RiotZact said:
    bbiggs said:
    RiotZact said:
    bbiggs said:
    RiotZact said:

Is there a good beer selection at lou’s?
    Nah. What they lack for in beer they make up for in their pies though 
  • Options
    bbiggs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    bbiggs said:
    RiotZact said:
    bbiggs said:
    RiotZact said:
    bbiggs said:
    RiotZact said:

No Uber bud. There’s one in river north which will be maybe a six block walk from you. Not far at all. 
    Yes!!!! I am pumped. So they are known for their deep dish?  I want the lottery to end so I can book airfare!

• Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    bbiggs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    bbiggs said:
    RiotZact said:
    bbiggs said:
    RiotZact said:
    bbiggs said:
    RiotZact said:

Yes!!!! I am pumped. So they are known for their deep dish?  I want the lottery to end so I can book airfare!

The best.  I feel like a majority of Chicago people would tell you that Lou's is the best deep dish.  All this talk about Lou's is making me want to order one tonight!
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    bbiggs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    bbiggs said:
    RiotZact said:
    bbiggs said:
    RiotZact said:
    bbiggs said:
    RiotZact said:

Def known for the deep dish. Lou Malnatis is the quintessential Chicago deep dish pie. Truly a local legend. I’m with you man...waiting to see my fate when the lottery wraps up. Hoping for a little luck on my side! 
  • Options
    And if you like sausage, try the sausage deep dish. It’s a thin sausage patty that covers the entire pie, then a layer of cheese on top and a hearty tomato sauce on top of that. Sprinkle with some crushed red pepper...bingo! You just hit a home run! 
  • Options
    bbiggs said:
    And if you like sausage, try the sausage deep dish. It’s a thin sausage patty that covers the entire pie, then a layer of cheese on top and a hearty tomato sauce on top of that. Sprinkle with some crushed red pepper...bingo! You just hit a home run! 
    Alright now I'm definitely ordering Lou's for dinner.  
  • Options
    Yeah right now I’m gonna call and pre-order that sausage pie for Wednesday August 17th at 8pm lol!
  • Options
    bbiggs said:
    Lol we’re spoiled aren’t we? 
  • Options
    bbiggs said:
    bbiggs said:
    Lol we’re spoiled aren’t we? 
    Yes. Fuckers. 
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    Lou’s is so damn good, I’m half-tempted to take a four day weekend soon and drive out just for it.
  • Options
    I love that all you Chicago peeps are pretty much in unison when it comes to this type of stuff. My favorite regional food is cheesesteaks, and if you ask 10 people from Philly which is the best you’ll get 11 different answers. I’ve been to 10 places so far and I’m still not convinced that I’ve had the best, because there’s huge groups of people that swear several other places I’ve yet to try are the best. Chicago is much easier, I’m going to one place and I’ll be confident that it’s the best. 
  • Options
    ^ Philly cheese steaks are the bomb! Definitely not our specialty here and I’ve never been to Philly so I know I haven’t had anything close to the best. 
  • Options
    Not to derail the thread, but while most chicagoans agree on lou’s for pizza, you’ll get at least a handful of answers for good local beef sandwiches. 
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    I think a Lou's sausage deep dish is going to have to go on the bucket list. 
    There's nothing special or different enough about pizza anywhere else that it would make my list, but one of those signature deep dish monstrosities would be worth the trip.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    bbiggs said:
    Not to derail the thread, but while most chicagoans agree on lou’s for pizza, you’ll get at least a handful of answers for good local beef sandwiches. 
    Yeah I already went through that, a guy on the Wrigley thread on the Porch gave me a pretty thorough run down and I have 3 or 4 places in mind. 

And I don’t mean to rub it in or anything, but the worst cheesesteak I’ve ever had in Philly is still better than the best one I’ve had outside of Philly. I usually roll my eyes at the whole “you have to get it from X city or you’ve never had real X food.” But cheesesteaks are the exception, I think it’s the insane amount of competition. 
  • Options
    Angelo's
    From the top ten finalists on NJ.com last year.
    Ordered a variety as we had a birthday lunch going on
    The one that won them the top 10 recognition is the upside down jawn.
    Strong

A white for the Mrs with spinach

A cheese

This one is the fucking bomb
    The Diavlo 
    Italian Long Hots
    Hot Sausage
    Arrabbiata sauce
    Fresh garlic
    Red pepper flakes