Options

The Pizza Thread

Comments

• Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,652
    Hoagies, in Philly.  
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,251
    RiotZact said:
    Finally tried the “Upside Down Jawn” from Angelo’s in South Philly. Every bit as good as advertised.

Looks right side up to me. You should have flipped her over.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Poncier said:
    RiotZact said:
    Finally tried the “Upside Down Jawn” from Angelo’s in South Philly. Every bit as good as advertised.

Looks right side up to me. You should have flipped her over.
    I will NOT lob one through that wide-open window ;)
  • Options
    RiotZactRiotZact Posts: 6,207
    ^^ :lol: It’s called upside down because the cheese is under the sauce. And it was a thick layer of cheese too. You could feel the “squeak” of biting down on it. Yum. 
  • Options
    One year when they were still in Haddonfield my wife wanted Angelo's for her birthday.  We had a bunch of guests so I brought back something like 4 pies and 2-3 Sammies.

We ate like hogs for a number of days after

Shit was not cheap thought, for pizza.
    Yeah, $31 for one pie. 
  • Options
    bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,931
    That pie looks amazing and the pepperoni is cooked to perfection. Slightly burnt on the edges to crisp it up. Wow. What is the actual size of that thing, roughly? 
  • Options
    bbiggs said:
    That pie looks amazing and the pepperoni is cooked to perfection. Slightly burnt on the edges to crisp it up. Wow. What is the actual size of that thing, roughly? 
    Well the pizza box is 16”x16” and it went the whole way out to the edge of the box on all sides, so about that big. Not to mention it was well over 1” thick. Even after breakfast there’s still 4 cuts left. 
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,652
    I love that you are it for breakfast!
  • Options
    I love that you are it for breakfast!
    Hell yeah! Girlfriend ate it cold and I went toaster oven. Might have to be breakfast again tomorrow too, because I’m not sure if I can go another round today. 
  • Options
    RiotZact said:
    bbiggs said:
    Well the pizza box is 16”x16” and it went the whole way out to the edge of the box on all sides, so about that big. Not to mention it was well over 1” thick. Even after breakfast there’s still 4 cuts left. 
    That’s a pretty good size pie. Makes sense that half does the trick for a couple people. Thick pies like that are filling AF. When I eat deep dish a couple triangle slices is about all I got.
  • Options
    bbiggs said:
    RiotZact said:
    bbiggs said:
    That’s a pretty good size pie. Makes sense that half does the trick for a couple people. Thick pies like that are filling AF. When I eat deep dish a couple triangle slices is about all I got.
    Oh yeah. Even Pizza Hut’s pan pizza is very filling. 
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,913
    Sicilian with pesto.   Delish

I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options

From the previously mentioned Poopsies, “The Beauty “. Diced pepperoni and al dente onions.
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    mcgruff10 said:
    Sicilian with pesto.   Delish

That sounds interesting and looks tasty too. 

Poncier - One day, Poopsie’s for me! :lol:

• Options
    Great looking Sicilian.
    The 💩 looks good, as well, but I don't know about the Al dente onions.  Is that an option or just how they do it there?
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    Poncier said:

From the previously mentioned Poopsies, “The Beauty “. Diced pepperoni and al dente onions.
    Bar pie!
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    Great looking Sicilian.
    The 💩 looks good, as well, but I don't know about the Al dente onions.  Is that an option or just how they do it there?
    That's just on this one particular specialty pizza, regular onions are not that way. 
  • Options
    Poncier said:
    Great looking Sicilian.
    That's just on this one particular specialty pizza, regular onions are not that way. 
    Interesting.  I love onions, would be down with trying out.
  • Options
    Lot of good looking pizza! Question...philly pizza was just mentioned. How does Philly stack up against NY/NJ pizza? 
  • Options
    GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,930
    Those thicker crusts pizzas look great in the photos. I am sure they are delicious. But I always have to go with a thin and crispy crust. 
  • Options
    Angelo's is NJ pizza....relocated to Philly
      :)
  • Options
    bbiggs said:
    Lot of good looking pizza! Question...philly pizza was just mentioned. How does Philly stack up against NY/NJ pizza? 
    It is in the pizza belt.  From what I have experienced it is definitely good but it has been so long since I had a slice there that my opinion is probably outdated.  
  • Options
    Angelo's is NJ pizza....relocated to Philly
      :)
    I didn’t realize this. I was a little confused when I noticed the pizza box said “est. 2013” I thought that was odd for such a recent place to be so well known. Makes sense now. Thanks for the history lesson!
  • Options
    bbiggs said:
    I remember in college we used to go to a place called Lorenzo's on South Street.  I remember that we all used to think it was the greatest pizza on the planet.  The slices were huge!  It was  real serious place, no parm so don't ask. lol
    No clue if it is still there.
  • Options
    darwinstheorydarwinstheory LaPorte, IN Posts: 5,804
    Tried my first ever crack at making made from scratch pies. Went with the basic Margarita style. I love fresh out of the garden basil:

"A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • Options
    Looking real good bud!! With nearly 3 acres you have plenty of room to put a pizza oven out back!
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    bbiggs said:
    I remember in college we used to go to a place called Lorenzo's on South Street.  I remember that we all used to think it was the greatest pizza on the planet.  The slices were huge!  It was  real serious place, no parm so don't ask. lol
    No clue if it is still there.
    I love that they didn’t have parm! Adding parm is overkill and ruins a good pizza. Kind of like ketchup on hot dogs. 
  • Options
    ^ those pizzas turned out nice. They look really good! 
  • Options
    darwinstheorydarwinstheory LaPorte, IN Posts: 5,804
    mcgruff10 said:
    Looking real good bud!! With nearly 3 acres you have plenty of room to put a pizza oven out back!
    A pizza oven is DEFINITELY in the plans! Thinking maybe a 14x14 screened in covered porch with pizza oven alongside a fireplace w/ chimney. Complete with a ceiling fan and a TV.
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • Options
    Nice work on those pizzas!

Lorenzo's is still there.  They sell at Wells Fargo, as well.  Nothing like watching the two plate slices go down.
    Their spot is across from Jim's, so you can do the Philly Taco.  (Nasty stuff, I do not want to try that)
    https://www.msn.com/en-us/video/n/a-philly-taco-is-a-cheesesteak-wrapped-in-pizza/vp-AAFR64W