Options

The Pizza Thread

Comments

• Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,662
    I'm paranoid so I cooked at home vs just having delivery of the finished pie.
    Make fun, I know the CDC says not to worry about it but they are inconsistent at best and corrupt as hell at worst.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    edited May 2020
    We've been buying frozen for the past several weeks, since our go-to closed down temporarily. 

But as far as I know, the only thing we're doing with our other takeout is re-plating it. But we do that anyway now. 

If it were just my wife and I, though, I wonder if we would bother with the re-plating. That seemed to become a thing once we started having shitty family dinners in a shitty formal dining room. She probably would since she's high risk.

I'm a firm believer that some takeout simply tastes better out of a takeout container -- noodle dishes especially. As soon as I put my drunken noodles on a plate, they lose about a third of their flavor. 

Hope the pizza place opens back up soon. We were on the schoolyard blacktop, which doubles as a town parking lot when school is not in session, playing four square a week or so ago (who the fuck knows anymore?), and we saw our pizzaiolo pull in. He saw us, and we chatted a bit from a safe distance. He had a couple of bags with him. He said that he misses it so much that he was bringing food from home to cook at his pizzeria. We think he was just getting away from his wife.

I'll call tomorrow to see if they're open. Otherwise, I'll need to go to the grocery store. Le sigh.

Edit: And while I was making a joke, I wasn't making fun. People should do whatever makes them feel comfortable.
    Post edited by dankind on
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,662
    I understand...this was the first time we have done delivery since all of this started.  

Wish we could feel comfortable doing it more frequently to support the local places we like.
    I wish lots of things, these days.

One good thing was I out half of that Sicilian in the freezer and will have squares for lunch the next few days from the fridge 
    This makes me happy.
  • Options
    GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,957
    I understand...this was the first time we have done delivery since all of this started.  

Wish we could feel comfortable doing it more frequently to support the local places we like.
    I wish lots of things, these days.

One good thing was I out half of that Sicilian in the freezer and will have squares for lunch the next few days from the fridge 
    This makes me happy.
    I have been starting to do more delivery. Haven't gotten a pizza yet though. Delivery is hard because some of the restaurants around here don't have a consistent opening. Some opened for a while, then temporarily closed. Others were closed, and now reopened. Others are on sporadic schedules. I tried to order Thai food last night from my favorite place. Was really craving drunken noodles. I had gotten them from there a few weeks ago. Put my order in to Seamless, and a few minutes later my order was canceled. Tried to call the restaurant directly, but got a message that their voicemail was full - so I assume they have closed down for the time being, or changed their schedule. It is hard to keep up.

• Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,255
    dankind said:

But as far as I know, the only thing we're doing with our other takeout is re-plating it. But we do that anyway now. 

If it were just my wife and I, though, I wonder if we would bother with the re-plating. That seemed to become a thing once we started having shitty family dinners in a shitty formal dining room. She probably would since she's high risk.

I'm a firm believer that some takeout simply tastes better out of a takeout container -- noodle dishes especially. As soon as I put my drunken noodles on a plate, they lose about a third of their flavor. 

The re-plating here is strictly at my wife's behest, but its easier to go along than argue, especially if it makes her feel better.
    There's a place here we occasionally get the famous south shore bar pizzas (Poopsie's) and they are packaged between 2 Chinet plates and bagged when taken out, so I just eat mine right off the plate it comes on, she doesn't do that even in non-pandemic times.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    Poncier said:
    dankind said:

The re-plating here is strictly at my wife's behest, but its easier to go along than argue, especially if it makes her feel better.
    There's a place here we occasionally get the famous south shore bar pizzas (Poopsie's) and they are packaged between 2 Chinet plates and bagged when taken out, so I just eat mine right off the plate it comes on, she doesn't do that even in non-pandemic times.
    https://youtu.be/weBbZ11d5LM
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    I commend you for eating at a place called 💩
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,255
    Yeah not exactly the name I'd have gone with. :lol:
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    HobbesHobbes Pacific Northwest Posts: 6,385
    Poppie work at Poopsie's?

See the source image
  • Options
    It’s back!!

It’s finally back!!!

I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,931
    Every time you post one of those Detroit style pizzas, I think to myself, "that is one of the best looking pizzas I've seen."  Damn, that looks good!
  • Options
    mca47mca47 Posts: 13,257
    bbiggs said:
    Every time you post one of those Detroit style pizzas, I think to myself, "that is one of the best looking pizzas I've seen."  Damn, that looks good!
    Made my first Detroit last weekend.  It was really good!  Not my favo style, but it was still delicious!
    If you’re gonna make one at home, buy a pan at Detroitstylepizza.com.  
  • Options
    Yeah the last one I made trying to go that way was really good but I didn't have the right pan.

Good share!
  • Options
    mca47mca47 Posts: 13,257

• Options
    Looks great
  • Options
    Looks outstanding!
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,748
    Half cheese, half pep from our local go-to place.  
  • Options
    ^ Outstanding 
  • Options
    RiotZactRiotZact Posts: 6,207
    edited May 2020
    This place is down the street from my apartment in Philly. Their pizza is pretty standard overall, nothing to write home about. But this one called the “El Diablo” is just 100 times better than any of their other pizzas. It has grilled chicken, hot sauce, and quite literally the hottest jalapeños I’ve ever had in my life. It’s hard for my girlfriend and I to get through a few slices but it’s so worth it. 

Post edited by RiotZact on
  • Options
    I'd like to try that.  ^^^
    Sounds interesting!
  • Options
    CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,226
    Stuffed Meat pie (sausage, pepperoni,meatball,) crust is focaccia .... really good.... hangover killer
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,918
    CROJAM95 said:
    Stuffed Meat pie (sausage, pepperoni,meatball,) crust is focaccia .... really good.... hangover killer
    On wow. That has to be killer.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,226
    ^ it’s very good

• Options
    Finally tried the “Upside Down Jawn” from Angelo’s in South Philly. Every bit as good as advertised.

• Options
    @RiotZact that looks amazing!! Oh baby
  • Options
    RiotZact said:
    Finally tried the “Upside Down Jawn” from Angelo’s in South Philly. Every bit as good as advertised.

One of my top 2-3 favorite pies of all time is that one, piping hot.
  • Options
    RiotZact said:

One of my top 2-3 favorite pies of all time is that one, piping hot.
    When the dude was bringing it over to me I was thinking that the box was way smaller than I thought it would be based on everyone telling me it could easily feed a family of 4 with plenty left for breakfast the next morning. Then he handed it to me and I about fell the fuck over it was so heavy. My girlfriend and I couldn’t even finish half of it and we were starving. Circles and Squares is next on my Philly pizza list. They’re the only other place that I ever hear mentioned in the same breath as Angelo’s. 
  • Options
    One year when they were still in Haddonfield my wife wanted Angelo's for her birthday.  We had a bunch of guests so I brought back something like 4 pies and 2-3 Sammies.

We ate like hogs for a number of days after

Shit was not cheap thought, for pizza.
  • Options
    Brett, what the heck are sammies?
  • Options
    Sandwiches
    :)