The Concept of God

Comments

• SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,517
    I remember being in Sunday school at around 5 or so thinking 'everybody is buying this'.  Always seemed weird.
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Smellyman said:
    I remember being in Sunday school at around 5 or so thinking 'everybody is buying this'.  Always seemed weird.
    Yeah, in kindergarten I was given a pamphlet that literally showed screaming children falling into the flaming pit of hell in vivid colour and detail.  One of the sins listed was lying which I was obviously guilty of, as all children are.
    I cried and cried and couldn't sleep that night, I didn't want to tell my parents because I was ashamed that I was going to hell.

How fucked up is that??
    Very fucked up thing to be teaching 5 year olds. 
    Fuck that, I will tell my newly Catholic 5 year old niece it's a pile of stinky poop lies if it ever comes up, her parents can deal with it. 
    My son won't be having his head filled with filthy garbage like that, I'll be damned (haha) if I let that happen.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    FoxyRedLa said:

FoxyRedLa said:
    I don't remember everything in this thread - those that do not believe do you believe is Satan? Believe in hell? 

I'm still thinking about Him being vain and needy. He died for us.

Those that don't believe what do you believe? The Big Bang? That theory doesn't fully explain either.

Has any none believer thought why they feel they have to actively convince believers He is not?
    this has come up before. i don't know any atheists that try to actively convince others there is no god. people have discussions, but no atheist is going door to door saying 'hey, i'd like to talk to you about no god'. 

the vain and needy thing, i believe, comes from the stories in the bible where god insists everyone listen to him and obey him and then he kills nearly everyone for forgetting about him. 

the big bang doesn't fully explain it, no. but, i have also read that some scientists are moving away from that theory, that there was no beginning to the universe. just 'always there', which is the same thing people say about god, ironically. 
    I get your point about going door  to door.

Referring to the flood? All were offered to come aboard. 
    not from what i recall reading. if they were all offered to come aboard, what was the point in the first place?
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• FoxyRedLa said:

rgambs said:
    If God showed himself, there would be incontrovertible evidence for His existence and every atheist I know would acknowledge that.
    It wouldn't be belief, it would be knowledge.
    The reason I ask is I wonder if it would just then be said to be a hoax. Like the laugh I got above. Seems someone would just find a way to talk it away.
    Like fake news? :lol:
    But seriously foxyredla, at some point in this thread, probably now, it is time for you to tell us some miracles you have witnessed god do since the people who wrote the bible have such vivid visuals of the makings.  We get it, you believe but time to give some evidence.
  • Attaway77Attaway77 Posts: 2,870
    FoxyRedLa said:

rgambs said:
    If God showed himself, there would be incontrovertible evidence for His existence and every atheist I know would acknowledge that.
    The reason I ask is I wonder if it would just then be said to be a hoax. Like the laugh I got above. Seems someone would just find a way to talk it away.
    But seriously foxyredla, at some point in this thread, probably now, it is time for you to tell us some miracles you have witnessed god do since the people who wrote the bible have such vivid visuals of the makings.  We get it, you believe but time to give some evidence.
    Why does she need to convince you of any miracles she's received? This is where agree to disagree comes into play. We all have our beliefs, some of us believe in God, others don't. This conversation is just starting to drag on. 
    1998 Dallas (7/5) 2006 San Fran (7/15,7/16) 2009 San Fran (8/28) 2010 Bristow (5/13) NY (5/21) 2011 Alpine Valley (9/3,9/4)
    2012 Missoula (9/30) 2013 Chicago (7/19) Pittsburgh (10/11) Buffalo (10/12) Baltimore (10/27) Dallas (11/15)
    2014 Austin (10/12) Memphis (10/14) St. Paul (10/19) Milwaukee (10/20) Denver (10/22)
    2016 Ft. Lauderdale (4/8) Miami (4/9) Hampton (4/18) Philly (4/28,4/29) NY (5/1,5/2) 2018 Seattle (8/10) Missoula (8/13) 2022 Nashville (9/16)

E.V. - 2008 Berkeley (4/8) 2012 Austin (11/9,11/12)
    Temple of the Dog - 2016 Upper Darby

• OP
    You had to have known that at some point this thread would turn into believers vs non-believers. 
    There once was  concept the earth was flat, there are still flat earthers out there.
    At some point you have to stop giving stage to the beliefs of some that they believe that there is hell to burn in all eternity for sinning yet they don't think that it is child abuse to rear one believing so.
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,661
    OP
    You had to have known that at some point this thread would turn into believers vs non-believers. 
    There once was  concept the earth was flat, there are still flat earthers out there.
    At some point you have to stop giving stage to the beliefs of some that they believe that there is hell to burn in all eternity for sinning yet they don't think that it is child abuse to rear one believing so.
    So you don't believe in hell?  Well!

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

There's no reason to get personal pjfanwillneverleave, things can be civil.
    Bash religion all you want, there's no need to bash the people here.
    Attaway77 said:
    FoxyRedLa said:

rgambs said:
    Why does she need to convince you of any miracles she's received? This is where agree to disagree comes into play. We all have our beliefs, some of us believe in God, others don't. This conversation is just starting to drag on. 
    The conversation isn't dragging, if you have nothing to add and don't like what's being said, that's fine for you, but don't blame it on the conversation.
    Agree to disagree is a solution that only needs put in play when civility is lost, otherwise it is just shutting down discourse.
  • rgambs said:
    I agree.
    I also disagree that non-believers have to constantly give an opinion as to every single belief of the bible that someone presents to them.  If that is taken as bashing well sorry, but people ought to know what they get into when discussing religion.
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,661
    Yeah, discussing faith, beliefs etc. is fine.  Great, actually.  It can stimulate the mind.  But both insisting others accept one's fundamentalist beliefs or hammering on someone who has them is not only fruitless, it's what eventually leads to wars, bloodshed, death, and a hell of a lot of pollution (literally and figuratively).
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• brianlux said:
    Yeah, discussing faith, beliefs etc. is fine.  Great, actually.  It can stimulate the mind.  But both insisting others accept one's fundamentalist beliefs or hammering on someone who has them is not only fruitless, it's what eventually leads to wars, bloodshed, death, and a hell of a lot of pollution (literally and figuratively).

Amen brother, and I would take you on my ark anytime.

rgambs said:
    I agree.
    I also disagree that non-believers have to constantly give an opinion as to every single belief of the bible that someone presents to them.  If that is taken as bashing well sorry, but people ought to know what they get into when discussing religion.
    If you don't want to give an opinion, feel free to go elsewhere.
    It's impossible to have a discussion on religion if you can't respect the participants and not demand they witness miracles for you.
    Your tact is middle school level.  If you want someone to think about the validity of their beliefs, highlight the failings of those beliefs.

Genesis Chapter 20 Verse 20-21
    That does more in a single phrase than a lifetime of asking people to tell about their miracles and then disbelieving them anyways.
  • ^^^

I never said they witness a personal miracle.  I said witness a miracle.
  • FoxyRedLaFoxyRedLa Lauren / MI Posts: 4,810
    FoxyRedLa said:

FoxyRedLa said:
    I don't remember everything in this thread - those that do not believe do you believe is Satan? Believe in hell? 

I'm still thinking about Him being vain and needy. He died for us.

Those that don't believe what do you believe? The Big Bang? That theory doesn't fully explain either.

Has any none believer thought why they feel they have to actively convince believers He is not?
    this has come up before. i don't know any atheists that try to actively convince others there is no god. people have discussions, but no atheist is going door to door saying 'hey, i'd like to talk to you about no god'. 

the vain and needy thing, i believe, comes from the stories in the bible where god insists everyone listen to him and obey him and then he kills nearly everyone for forgetting about him. 

the big bang doesn't fully explain it, no. but, i have also read that some scientists are moving away from that theory, that there was no beginning to the universe. just 'always there', which is the same thing people say about god, ironically. 
    I get your point about going door  to door.

Referring to the flood? All were offered to come aboard. 
    not from what i recall reading. if they were all offered to come aboard, what was the point in the first place?

I guess it's assumed he warned about the flood. The point would have been a second chance. 

Evil was wiped out. We are warned it will happen again. 
    Oh please let it rain today.
    Those that can be trusted can change their mind.
  • rgambs said:
    rgambs said:
    I agree.
    It's impossible to have a discussion on religion if you can't respect the participants and not demand they witness miracles for you.
    Your tact is middle school level.  If you want someone to think about the validity of their beliefs, highlight the failings of those beliefs.

That does more in a single phrase than a lifetime of asking people to tell about their miracles and then disbelieving them anyways.
    Now you're quoting bible verses for people to  read?
    Are you ok man?
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:
    I agree.

Now you're quoting bible verses for people to  read?
    Are you ok man?
    Yep, I'm groovy.
    Read it, you might learn something about how to debate civilly and with tact.

• DegeneratefkDegeneratefk Posts: 3,123
    The concept of god is just that, a concept
    will myself to find a home, a home within myself
    we will find a way, we will find our place
  • eddieceddiec Posts: 3,835
    If God did show himself humans would be in a lot of trouble. 
    eddiec said:
    If God did show himself humans would be in a lot of trouble. 
    Haha no chit, there would be some genocide for sure.
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,651
    rgambs said:
    I agree.

except this thread isnt about religion.

dont conflate tbe two.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • erocshiftyerocshifty Posts: 1,170
    I read something about the concept of there being a "Great Architect" that I somewhat agree with. I've found that a lot of my belief system borrows from several different places. The thing that puzzles me is how in a lot of these belief systems: there's no Female deity. For me a lot of the time, "God" is tied in with Nature. Sun, Moon, Earth, etc..
    "It's best to live in grace before you're forced to." EV- 10/09/2014 
    I read something about the concept of there being a "Great Architect" that I somewhat agree with. I've found that a lot of my belief system borrows from several different places. The thing that puzzles me is how in a lot of these belief systems: there's no Female deity. For me a lot of the time, "God" is tied in with Nature. Sun, Moon, Earth, etc..
    The earliest religions usually had balance between male and female deities, and that survived in many cultures until the Judeo-Christian beliefs spread and influenced so much of the world.
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,818
    rgambs said:
    The earliest religions usually had balance between male and female deities, and that survived in many cultures until the Judeo-Christian beliefs spread and influenced so much of the world.
    One of many issues I have with the Catholic Church. Women should definitely be priests and priests should be able to have kids and marry. It cracks me up when priests give martial advice lol. 
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
    mcgruff10 said:
    rgambs said:
    One of many issues I have with the Catholic Church. Women should definitely be priests and priests should be able to have kids and marry. It cracks me up when priests give martial advice lol. 
    I wonder if that would have an effect on the problem of molestation?
  • rustneversleepsrustneversleeps The Motel of Lost Companions Posts: 2,209
    rgambs said:
    this is funny.
    rgambs said:
    this is funny.
    Care to elaborate?
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,818
    rgambs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    rgambs said:
    I wonder if that would have an effect on the problem of molestation?
    I honestly think sexual abuse cases would dramatically drop. 
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • FoxyRedLaFoxyRedLa Lauren / MI Posts: 4,810
    Morning rgambs - morning here :smile:

My first thought was you said bash religion all you want :giggle:
    Oh please let it rain today.
    Those that can be trusted can change their mind.
  • rustneversleepsrustneversleeps The Motel of Lost Companions Posts: 2,209
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:
    this is funny.
    Care to elaborate?
    theres no need. you said it all. barly?