Options

The Concept of God

Comments

• Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,832
    eddiec said:
    I don't believe there is a god.
    Could there be a God? I guess, but it definitely is not the being that is portrayed in most religions. In such a vast universe humans are merely an invisible spec in terms of time and space.

Scientists estimate there are 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 planets in the universe, some with suns that have died billions of years ago and god is watching everything we do? God is going to invite all the living beings he has ever created up to the afterlife (if you're good enough) when he already granted us a life in the universe? I just don't buy it.

I don't even how an estimate can be made about how many planets there are, to be honest. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    eddiec said:
    Could there be a God? I guess, but it definitely is not the being that is portrayed in most religions. In such a vast universe humans are merely an invisible spec in terms of time and space.

Scientists estimate there are 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 planets in the universe, some with suns that have died billions of years ago and god is watching everything we do? God is going to invite all the living beings he has ever created up to the afterlife (if you're good enough) when he already granted us a life in the universe? I just don't buy it.

I don't even how an estimate can be made about how many planets there are, to be honest. 
    Science is awesome, that's how!
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    rgambs said:
    eddiec said:

Science is awesome, that's how!
    it is, but it blows my mind how this is done with current technology. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    AnnafalkAnnafalk Sweden Posts: 4,004
    brianlux said:
    Annafalk said:
    Isn't it possible that a belief in God can make a person happier and more comfortable in it's life. To have someone that's always there who hear every thought and knows everything about you.
    I can see that.  It's why I have a cat.
    Lol :)
  • Options
    It's incredibly complicated in the details of the execution, but the concept is simple.
    Measure a small volume (x) of something (y) in easily quantifiable scale, and then measure x in a larger but still quantifiable scale, multiply by y, and continue the process into wild realms of estimation.
  • Options
    rgambs said:
    It's incredibly complicated in the details of the execution, but the concept is simple.
    Measure a small volume (x) of something (y) in easily quantifiable scale, and then measure x in a larger but still quantifiable scale, multiply by y, and continue the process into wild realms of estimation.
    yes, I get that, I just don't understand how we can conceive what the observable universe is. I mean, it's so fucking big, how in the world can we make an accurate assessment? if you are basing your first calculation on an estimate, that in turn means your 100th cacluation could be not even close to right. 

either way, it's mind boggling. just whenever I read something that says "the edge of the universe" or "it is ever-expanding". What? expanding into what? if it's expanding, there's something there for it to expand into....right? if you got the edge of the universe, would it be like bumping into a wall, or looking through a window?

I need some weed for this conversation.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    rgambs said:
    yes, I get that, I just don't understand how we can conceive what the observable universe is. I mean, it's so fucking big, how in the world can we make an accurate assessment? if you are basing your first calculation on an estimate, that in turn means your 100th cacluation could be not even close to right. 

either way, it's mind boggling. just whenever I read something that says "the edge of the universe" or "it is ever-expanding". What? expanding into what? if it's expanding, there's something there for it to expand into....right? if you got the edge of the universe, would it be like bumping into a wall, or looking through a window?

I often wonder if the edge of the universe - if there is an edge - is like a Pac-Man board?  You run off the right edge, you end up back on the left edge and vice-versa.
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Rock on, B.  And all who walk this life with an open mind and heart.

What else are you gonna do?
  • Options
    rgambs said:

I often wonder if the edge of the universe - if there is an edge - is like a Pac-Man board?  You run off the right edge, you end up back on the left edge and vice-versa.
    LOL. that's awesome!
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    rgambs said:

That sort of thing is the most likely scenario.
    Picture a 3 dimensional sphere like a soap bubble.
    Now, this is tough sometimes, but think of our 3 dimensional space existing as the bubble membrane, and the air inside the bubble is not dimensional space, but interdimensional space, which is to say, not space at all.
    When you pick a direction and travel infinitely with the intention of finding the edge, you will infinitely continue to curve around that edge without finding it.
  • Options
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:

Now, this is tough sometimes, but think of our 3 dimensional space existing as the bubble membrane, and the air inside the bubble is not dimensional space, but interdimensional space, which is to say, not space at all.
    When you pick a direction and travel infinitely with the intention of finding the edge, you will infinitely continue to curve around that edge without finding it.
    oh jesus. I take it you've done some thinking in this area. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:

oh jesus. I take it you've done some thinking in this area. 
    Nope, I've done some reading on the topic, I've done a shit ton of thinking about it lol
    Many bongwater-scented hours!

Asking what the universe is expanding into is just a function of the limitations of our human minds.
    The problem isn't with the answer, it's probably that the question is all wrong, being based on substantial conceptual limitations.
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,961
    I tell people I'm agnostic but I'm technically an atheist.  Basic research let's you destroy the christian trinity myth pretty easily.  

God(s) was how cavemen justified thunder and lightning.  That's pretty much how it started.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Options
    Usually when you hear about the edge, it's the observable edge, because the universe has expanded faster than the speed of light, so you can't see the edge, ever.
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,877
    I m Irish catholic. I believe in god and heaven and hell.  That is all 
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    That's a bummer lol

• Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,877
    rgambs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    That's a bummer lol

Ha ha!  All good bud. Enjoy your three day weekend. I m sipping a nice IPA as I type.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    NamiNami Newfoundland Posts: 5,989
    mcgruff10 said:
    im with mcgruff

question, do the people in this thread believe they have a soul?   

Hamilton 9-13-05; Toronto 5-9-06, Toronto 8-21-09, Toronto 9-12-11, Hamilton 9-15-11....
  • Options
    Nami said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    im with mcgruff

You would have to define soul to be sure, but in the typical Christian sense, absolutely and definitively, no.

Traumatic brain injuries can change fundamental aspects of a person that typically fall under the umbrella of the soul.
  • Options
    If a trauma to the brain can change me entirely, what part of me is disconnected from my biology to an extent which it would survive my biological death?
  • Options
    ok how about a soul in general?   One that deciphers good from bad, whats wrong or right?

I asked my parents, no hits to the head when younger.... nothing from drugs/alcohol.... had the belief before and after.  ha
    Hamilton 9-13-05; Toronto 5-9-06, Toronto 8-21-09, Toronto 9-12-11, Hamilton 9-15-11....
  • Options
    SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,519
    Amazing to me this is a legit conversation.
  • Options
    Nami said:
    ok how about a soul in general?   One that deciphers good from bad, whats wrong or right?

I asked my parents, no hits to the head when younger.... nothing from drugs/alcohol.... had the belief before and after.  ha
    No, absolutely not.
    Determining what is right and wrong is a cognitive function, it arises from the ability to analyze the world to a high degree.  A soul would need to be independent of the corporeal body to survive biological death, there is no evidence that such a force exists.  Human consciousness can be manipulated by physical stimuli, so where is the soul and what does it do if it has nothing to do with how you think, behave, and feel?
    Does it make more sense that a cockroach doesn't know right from wrong because it has a small brain, or does it make more sense that God decided to make living creatures with souls and other living creatures without souls?
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,717
    Annafalk said:
    brianlux said:
    Annafalk said:
    Isn't it possible that a belief in God can make a person happier and more comfortable in it's life. To have someone that's always there who hear every thought and knows everything about you.
    I can see that.  It's why I have a cat.
    Lol :)
    I love it!  :rofl:
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    PJfanwillneverleave1PJfanwillneverleave1 Posts: 12,885
    edited May 2017
    ^^^

It takes a special someone to love a cat because they sure as hell don't love you.
    (If I believed in hell of course)
  • Options
    AnnafalkAnnafalk Sweden Posts: 4,004
    ^^^

It takes a special someone to love a cat because they sure as hell don't love you.
    I think they do. For example when I moved out from my parents house "my" cat disappeared, he ran away from home for three weeks. Then he came back. I think it's maybe possible that he was searching for me. Ok he was probably not looking for me :) but I know we were good friends.
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,717
    Annafalk said:
    ^^^

I think they do. For example when I moved out from my parents house "my" cat disappeared, he ran away from home for three weeks. Then he came back. I think it's maybe possible that he was searching for me. Ok he was probably not looking for me :) but I know we were good friends.
    Great cat story, Anna.  :smile:

I'm sure my cat loves me.  She shows it in all kinds of ways. She consistently wakes me  up gently most mornings at the right time by kneading the blankets.  When I'm brushing my teeth she jumps up on the counter for a little head butting time.  Any time I'm home she's almost always close by.  When critters come around the house we both go to the window and make funny noises to let them know it's our place- (that really gets her purr motor going). 

The thing is PJF, if you're at one with the cat, the cat is at one with you. 
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    rgambs said:
    Nami said:

No, absolutely not.
    Determining what is right and wrong is a cognitive function, it arises from the ability to analyze the world to a high degree.  A soul would need to be independent of the corporeal body to survive biological death, there is no evidence that such a force exists.  Human consciousness can be manipulated by physical stimuli, so where is the soul and what does it do if it has nothing to do with how you think, behave, and feel?
    Does it make more sense that a cockroach doesn't know right from wrong because it has a small brain, or does it make more sense that God decided to make living creatures with souls and other living creatures without souls?
    so no soul, but a consciousness sculpted by society and learned behavior.  

i believe every animal has a soul... a spirit inside that keeps all connected in this world.
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,961
    Nami said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    im with mcgruff

No...the only part of the anatomy that a "soul" could exist in would be the brain.  The brain dies soon after oxygen and blood is cut off from it.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Options
    Nami said:
    rgambs said:
    Nami said:

No, absolutely not.
    so no soul, but a consciousness sculpted by society and learned behavior.  

i believe every animal has a soul... a spirit inside that keeps all connected in this world.
    A consciousness rooted in biology, influenced by stimuli.

Your belief is a lovely one, truly a nice thought, but I would need some sort of evidence to believe something like that.
    A soul isn't necessary for keeping everything connected, everything and everyone is intrinsically interconnected in a causal universe of finite measure and forces.