The Concept of God

Comments

• Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,936
    PJ_Soul said:
    "I contend we are both atheists, I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."
     ...Stephen F Roberts
    That's a good quote. I would argue that it doesn't quite cover all the bases, since the belief that the concept of any God is ludicrous doesn't apply to someone who believes in any god. But still, it makes a point that might at least make a believer think for a second.
    I think it does though....many Christians think it is ludicrous to believe in Allah, so if you think that is ludicrous then they should understand why we think believing in a christian god is ludicrous.

Of course they won't...they will pray for our flesh to be burned in eternal hellfire and damnation for not believing because Jesus likes that shit.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    PJ_Soul said:
    "I contend we are both atheists, I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."
     ...Stephen F Roberts
    That's a good quote. I would argue that it doesn't quite cover all the bases, since the belief that the concept of any God is ludicrous doesn't apply to someone who believes in any god. But still, it makes a point that might at least make a believer think for a second.
    I think it does though....many Christians think it is ludicrous to believe in Allah, so if you think that is ludicrous then they should understand why we think believing in a christian god is ludicrous.

Of course they won't...they will pray for our flesh to be burned in eternal hellfire and damnation for not believing because Jesus likes that shit.
    I see PJ Soul's point though. My wife, who is catholic, had a hard time when we first started dating. she can understand people believing in different gods (even if they are the "wrong one"), but she was baffled that I "didn't believe in anything" and therefore had no right to be offended by anything in the church. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited May 2018
    PJ_Soul said:
     ...Stephen F Roberts

Yeah, as HFD said, thinking others believe in the wrong god isn't the same as not believing in any god. Those are still very different points of view. What they think is ludicrous is completely different from what a non-believer thinks is ludicrous, like on the basic philosophical and psychological level.
    Also, just FYI, Allah and the Christian God are the same God. If a Christian doesn't acknowledge that, then they really don't know wtf is even going on. ;)
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • What if God was one of us?
    Just a slob like one of us?
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,936
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
     ...Stephen F Roberts

Yeah, as HFD said, thinking others believe in the wrong god isn't the same as not believing in any god. Those are still very different points of view. What they think is ludicrous is completely different from what a non-believer thinks is ludicrous, like on the basic philosophical and psychological level.
    Also, just FYI, Allah and the Christian God are the same God. If a Christian doesn't acknowledge that, then they really don't know wtf is even going on. ;)
    yeah they don't know that....no idea
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
     ...Stephen F Roberts

good stuff

newsflash folks, there is no god, there is no heaven, there is no hell... shocking, I know

"its all bullshit, and its bad for you" - George Carlin (RIP)

• RYMERYME Wisconsin Posts: 1,904
    We will all find out eventually won't we.
    I'm looking forward to it.
    RYME said:
    Me too.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • DegeneratefkDegeneratefk Posts: 3,123
    RYME said:
    I disagree with this. When you die, you not know at all. You're dead. 
    will myself to find a home, a home within myself
    we will find a way, we will find our place
    edited May 2018
    RYME said:
    I disagree with this. When you die, you not know at all. You're dead. 
    Yes, you're definitely dead... I have no clue, however, if there is an afterlife or not. Probably not. I seriously doubt it. I don't think so at all. But who knows? Perhaps there is some kind of natural process that does allow for it. Energy never dies after all... for all we know, consciousness is contained in energy somehow. No one has really been able to define consciousness, technically, so we don't know. :i_dunno: So yeah, I am looking forward to either finding out what happens, if anything, because I'm sure that interesting as hell, har har har ... And if it's nothing, I won't know the difference anyhow so it doesn't matter. :) What I feel 100% sure of is that IF (and that is an infinity minus 1 if) the after life is a thing, it is not based on some sick and twisted system of meritocracy, as religious folks would have you believe. What a bunch of crazy nonsense that is.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,517
    RYME said:
    So were the terrorists who flew planes into buildings.

With or without religion you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

- Steven Weinberg

• brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    RYME said:
    I'm not looking forward to being dead in the sense of "I can't wait for that to happen"- I'm far too lucky and thankful to be alive for that- but I do see some definite advantages to reaching that inevitable state:  an eternity of quiet, and a total absence of anxiety. 

There's this great quote by Kurt Vonnegut about the peacefulness of death and I can't for the life of me find it but I found this good one:

"Being a Humanist means trying to behave decently without expectation of rewards or punishment after you are dead."  K.V.

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• drakeheuer14drakeheuer14 Posts: 4,368
    Why waste so much time talking about something you don’t believe in? Especially if you have a closed mind on the subject. 
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,517
    Why waste so much time talking about something you don’t believe in? Especially if you have a closed mind on the subject. 
    Because people blow up buildings, pass laws, oppress, kill, take away civil rights and many other terrible things because they believe in a fairy in the sky
  • DegeneratefkDegeneratefk Posts: 3,123
    Closed mind? Not believing in God is being closed minded? 
    will myself to find a home, a home within myself
    we will find a way, we will find our place
    I think its' the other way around.  I think God is closed minded for not believing in atheism.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    What if God was one of us?
    Just a stranger on the bus...
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
    isn't that a song?
    yep.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    brianlux said:
    I think its' the other way around.  I think God is closed minded for not believing in atheism.
    If there is a God ... how do you know he opposes atheism?  
    Give Peas A Chance…
    If there is a god, why does he/she allow the horrors of this world to occur?
  • KC138045KC138045 Columbus, OH Posts: 2,715
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPDaz6uO9Ps
    Columbus-2000
    Columbus-2003
    Cincinnati-2006
    Columbus-2010
    Wrigley-2013
    Cincinnati-2014
    Lexington-2016
    Wrigley 1 & 2-2018
  • The mind is a powerful thing. An anorexic girl can look in the mirror and see a fat slob- while everyone else sees skin and bone.

Brainwashed from youth... people believe in God for everything they are worth. They don't know better. It's only until they tackle the really tough questions before they can come to the terms with the impossibility of God that they can reconcile their existence on this little chunk of rock in an infinite universe.

People can believe what they want to as long as they leave others alone; however, religion seems to be driving some damaging movements, policies, and actions. This fact kind of pisses me off. Go ahead... believe in Santa, but let other people live their life as they see fit. Let the pregnant teenager have an abortion after she was raped by her uncle. 
    depends who you talk to. some think that god created all but has no power over how things happen. 
    others believe everything is god's will and it shouldn't be questioned. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    depends who you talk to. some think that god created all but has no power over how things happen. 
    others believe everything is god's will and it shouldn't be questioned. 
    Most will say both and not be able to reconcile the two when called out lol

Somehow we simultaneously have free will and there's a plan for each of us.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • What if God was one of us?
    Just a stranger on the bus...
    Freakin' guy's just trying to gawddamn get home.
    brianlux said:
    There I go, making assumptions again.  I will consult God's Ouija board and get back to you.

brianlux said:
    well, as a parent, I'd be pretty annoyed if my kids lived their lives as if I didn't exist. 

I'll let you know what it's like when they are teenagers. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

edited May 2018
    That is an excellent point you made, HFD, I think we're getting somewhere.

Post edited by RYME on
    I'm not a believer or a disbeliever or an agnostic.  If anything, I'm a fan of the mysterious nature of the universe.  But that doesn't mean I don't respect people of all faith or lack of faith in God.

Here, for example, are a couple of believers I have a lot of respect for:

Jim Wallis, author, political activist and founder of Sojourners magazine.  Wallis has critiqued both the "religious right" and the "secular left".  Good man.

Anne Lamott, excellent writer, wise woman.

Malcolm Boyd, Episcopal priest and author, Civil Rights activist, and gay rights spokesman.  I had the good fortune to correspond with Rev. Boyd a few times.  Good dude, may he rest in peace.

And some of my favorite atheists/ nonbelievers:

One of my favorite authors and all-around great man, Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Barbara Ehrenreich, author, self-described "veteran muckraker" and journalist, author of several excellent books and all-around great lady.

Comedian, writer, and one of America's greatest humans, George Carlin.  Carlin was hard on believers.  But then, he was hard on everybody and for good reasons!

Good people come in all varieties.  They inspire us in their own unique ways to become better people ourselves.

God is not at all happy about the horrors and wickedness that occur in this world.  Jesus came the first time with the purpose of being crucified.  He did it for you and I and all (yes all)  who will accept Him, and the price He paid on the cross, for our sins.  He paid our sin debt in full if we will just accept that, that's all He's asking.  It's very hard for a lot of people to comprehend that all he really wants from us is love.  He's having a hard time getting it from lot of folks.
    John 3:16
    For God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son, that whosoever, believeth in Him shall not perish but have everlasting life.
    Jesus is coming back again.  I think it's going to be sooner rather than later.  And it will only take about 15 minutes, and all the horrible and wickedness of this world are going to be overturned in a big big way.  This is what Christians are looking forward to.  Justice will be done.  All the terrible people of the world are going to be put in their place and and it's going to be a great day. 
    Jesus is not coming back again as a baby to be crucified again, that has been done already.  This time He's coming back to rule as King of Kings and Lord of Lords.  The wicked are going to feel the full weight of God's Wrath.
    Those who love him will not have 1 hair on their head singed.  Nothing to fear.
    Some people might scoff at this and that's fine with me, I have no problem with that.
    But if there is even one or two out there who gain some comfort from this, that's what I hope for, the more the merrier.
    This song by Johnny Cash sums it up pretty well.  When The Man Comes Around.
    https://youtu.be/k9IfHDi-2EA