Options

Is America the greatest country in the world?

Comments

• Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    Brian check out the brown eyes/blue eyes YouTube link I submitted.
    Is that the one that occurred right after MLK got assassinated (I can't find your link for some reason)?  If so I am almost positive the teacher got fired for that.  By the way, great video.  I show that every year.
    Yup.

I don’t know about her getting fired. The kids grew into adults that completely loved their experience and what it did for them.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,773
    I just watched the whole thing.  The teacher obviously makes a good point and it had a fairly "happy ending", but using kids in an experiment like that seems really messed up to me.  Kind of like, "OK kids, we need to prove a point and we're gonna fuck with your heads for a while before we tell you it's all OK."  Children as guinea pigs?  Please, no!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,933
    brianlux said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    brianlux said:
    If I were teaching kids about the history of the cold war I would include in my lessons my own personal experiences with having to watch test broadcast of the the "emergency broadcast system" on TV and having to listen to practice runs of screaming air raid sirens going off and being told to close our eyes if we saw a bright flash outside our window and having to go through regularly scheduled duck and cover practices at school in case of a nuclear attack as if our little school desks were going to save us from nuclear annihilation.  All of that was so lovely, just so fucking lovely.  
    Yeah I love teaching duck and cover.  Brian do you have any memories of the Cuban
    missile crisis or was that before your time?
    Before my time?  LOL, thank you, McG!  :smile:

I was 11 when that went down.  That was when all that I described above went (dare I say it?) ballistic.  My folks, teachers, pretty much all the adults we knew were all on edge all the time during those days.  There was a general feeling of dread, literally an end-of-the-world feeling of dread in the air.  Those days really messed with our pointy little heads.

OH damn you are a primary source!!!  Where you drafted or did you pull a high number?
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    brianlux said:
    I just watched the whole thing.  The teacher obviously makes a good point and it had a fairly "happy ending", but using kids in an experiment like that seems really messed up to me.  Kind of like, "OK kids, we need to prove a point and we're gonna fuck with your heads for a while before we tell you it's all OK."  Children as guinea pigs?  Please, no!
    Worksheets and lectures don’t always cut it though, Bri.

I’m not saying this is necessarily a lesson to emulate, but I am saying teachers need to take some chances sometimes.

No child was harmed in that experience. They’re all likely enriched for having gone through it.
  • Options
    brianlux said:

I’m not saying this is necessarily a lesson to emulate, but I am saying teachers need to take some chances sometimes.

No child was harmed in that experience. They’re all likely enriched for having gone through it.
    Jane Elliott is her name and I was wrong, she was not terminated as I had thought. She did receive a lot of backlash for the “experiment”.  
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    brianlux said:

Jane Elliott is her name and I was wrong, she was not terminated as I had thought. She did receive a lot of backlash for the “experiment”.  
    In the short term.

In the long run, the lesson has been considered outstanding.
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    brianlux said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    brianlux said:
    If I were teaching kids about the history of the cold war I would include in my lessons my own personal experiences with having to watch test broadcast of the the "emergency broadcast system" on TV and having to listen to practice runs of screaming air raid sirens going off and being told to close our eyes if we saw a bright flash outside our window and having to go through regularly scheduled duck and cover practices at school in case of a nuclear attack as if our little school desks were going to save us from nuclear annihilation.  All of that was so lovely, just so fucking lovely.  
    Yeah I love teaching duck and cover.  Brian do you have any memories of the Cuban

I was 11 when that went down.  That was when all that I described above went (dare I say it?) ballistic.  My folks, teachers, pretty much all the adults we knew were all on edge all the time during those days.  There was a general feeling of dread, literally an end-of-the-world feeling of dread in the air.  Those days really messed with our pointy little heads.

OH damn you are a primary source!!!  Where you drafted or did you pull a high number?
    I pulled a fairly low number.  Low enough such that I was called in for the military style physical exam in Oakland, CA. That was a hoot.  Nothing like being in a cold room with a bunch of other guys and being told to drop your drawers, bend over and spread your cheeks.   "Enjoying the view down there, Serg?"

After that, I watched my number grow closer and closer.  It got to within two numbers of mine and I was a nervous wreck and then, suddenly, one day in 1973, shortly after my 22nd birthday, I turned on the news and  heard that the US military involvement had ended and with it, the draft.  I was one lucky S.O.B.  Other guys I knew, not so.  They died for nothing.  And those who lived, I know some of those guys too and they are not very well off mentally.

Some of the things we are "great" at are things not to be proud of.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    brianlux said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    brianlux said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    brianlux said:

I pulled a fairly low number.  Low enough such that I was called in for the military style physical exam in Oakland, CA. That was a hoot.  Nothing like being in a cold room with a bunch of other guys and being told to drop your drawers, bend over and spread your cheeks.   "Enjoying the view down there, Serg?"

After that, I watched my number grow closer and closer.  It got to within two numbers of mine and I was a nervous wreck and then, suddenly, one day in 1973, shortly after my 22nd birthday, I turned on the news and  heard that the US military involvement had ended and with it, the draft.  I was one lucky S.O.B.  Other guys I knew, not so.  They died for nothing.  And those who lived, I know some of those guys too and they are not very well off mentally.

Geezuz
  • Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    brianlux said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    brianlux said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    brianlux said:

Coming to Canada to avoid the draft, was that an option that you considered. 
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    brianlux said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    brianlux said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    brianlux said:

Damn, that must have been so stressful knowing your number was creeping closer and closer. My dad was drafted and fortunately got into the national guard a few days before his unit shipped out to south Vietnam. 
  • Options
    Fortunate Son.

The big disgrace is the fact that good people were simply disposable. Some people were not.

Crusty old white men sacrificing other people’s sons. F**king brutal.
  • Options
    SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,520
    edited November 2018
    people still dying from unexploded bombs, effects of agent orange still rearing it's ugly head and countless dead in a war that should not have been fought.

The world is better with Brian
  • Options
    Smellyman said:
    people still dying from unexploded bombs, effects of agent orange still rearing it's ugly head and countless dead in a war that should not have been fought.

Agreed.

There were a lot of Brians on either side of the equation that we never got to know... or came back so changed they never came close to realizing their potential.
  • Options
    njnancynjnancy Northern New Jersey Posts: 5,096
    Smellyman said:

Agreed.

There were a lot of Brians on either side of the equation that we never got to know... or came back so changed they never came close to realizing their potential.
    I'm happy that Brian was spared. We're better for his presence. It's sad that there are others that no one will ever know. 
  • Options
    Thanks guys.  A lot of it was luck.  Dumb luck.  

Some of that luck surely was as a result of some of the men and women who were just a bit older and more savvy than I was and helped bring that war to an earlier close than it might have without them.  The first such person that comes to my mind is Bill Zimmermann.  His book, Troublemaker, is an excellent account of the resistance to that war and a great read:

• Options
    eddieceddiec Posts: 3,840
    edited November 2018
    I never cared much for 'Miracle'. Always found it cheesy. However, I've watched the documentary, 'Do You Believe in Miracles', probably 20 -30 times. It gives a much better insight into the political environment of the time as well as interviewing both Americans and Russians. While it still leans to the American view, it's entirely captivating. 
    On a side note: I was at the US-Soviet game at Madison Square Garden two weeks before the Olympics started where the Americans got their asses handed to them.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-K-mm8Bqik
    Post edited by eddiec on
  • Options
    Would the greatest country in the world be able to have a president bombing countries in secret without congressional approval?
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,149
    edited November 2018
    And to remind everyone, here's a repost:

"One should call things by their proper name. What is happening right now in Vietnam is a form of torture. ---
    What they do is to torment people, torment a nation to humiliate it, to force it into submission to its orders. ---
    And therefore the bombings are an evil act. And of that we have many examples in modern history. And they are generally associated with a name/place: Guernica, Oradour, Babij Jar, Katyń, Lidice, Sharpeville, Treblinka. There where violence has triumphed. But the worlds judgment has fallen hard over those who were responsibility.
    Now a new name is added to the list: Hanoi, Christmas 1972."

Swedish Primeminister Olof Palme's brief statement about the furious American bomb raid against Hanoi, Christmas in 1972, gave echoes all over the world. The text did not even take two minutes to read - but caused two years of  diplomatic crisis. - We should be proud. He was the only European leader who dared to stand up and say what the whole world thought, says Anders Ferm, who wrote the first draft of the text.
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,520
    eddiec said:
    I never cared much for 'Miracle'. Always found it cheesy. However, I've watched the documentary, 'Do You Believe in Miracles', probably 20 -30 times. It gives a much better insight into the political environment of the time as well as interviewing both Americans and Russians. While it still leans to the American view, it's entirely captivating. 
    On a side note: I was at the US-Soviet game at Madison Square Garden two weeks before the Olympics started where the Americans got their asses handed to them.
    I don't like movies about real events generally.  either to cheesy or schmaltzy.  Documentaries are the way to go.
  • Options
    Armageddon looms in World Chess Championship final

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-46343036

An American is trying to win the world chess championship.  It would be the US first title since Bobby Fisher in '72.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    njnancynjnancy Northern New Jersey Posts: 5,096
    Smellyman said:
    eddiec said:
    I don't like movies about real events generally.  either to cheesy or schmaltzy.  Documentaries are the way to go.
    They did a documentary about the guys and the event. I like that and I also really like the movie. Documentaries are my favorite also, for most anything.

I grew up having nightmares about having nuclear bombs dropped on Manhattan (which I'm right next to) and it was just a moment in time that was, rightly or wrongly, extremely uplifting. 

I don't even watch hockey and I watched that match with my parents. And I got the same happy feeling when I watched the movie. It was an America/USSR thing. I don't think you could truly appreciate the emotions unless you were living in one of the two countries. IMHO
  • Options
    MACA

Make America Crisp Again!

• Options
    njnancy said:
    Smellyman said:
    eddiec said:
    They did a documentary about the guys and the event. I like that and I also really like the movie. Documentaries are my favorite also, for most anything.

I grew up having nightmares about having nuclear bombs dropped on Manhattan (which I'm right next to) and it was just a moment in time that was, rightly or wrongly, extremely uplifting. 

I don't even watch hockey and I watched that match with my parents. And I got the same happy feeling when I watched the movie. It was an America/USSR thing. I don't think you could truly appreciate the emotions unless you were living in one of the two countries. IMHO
    Canada is your closest ally, we fully understood the significance of that victory, at that time in history...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    It was a classic (and maybe ultimate?) underdog story. Ofc you can appreciate it. 

Saw a swedish documentary about the soviet team a bunch of years back. Interesting stuff.
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    CM189191 said:
    Soccer is better than both
    Soccer might be even more boring than basketball.
    We all know that in 1994 the us had the better hockey team. ;)
    That's weak.  The most impressive hockey team the US has ever assembled (talent wise no, but they were a great team, they had guts, character and a fantastic coach that knew how to beat the Soviets) was the miracle on ice.  
    I agree. Realize I was just poking fun at soul. 
    I absolutely enjoyed our 3 Olympic Gold Medals in hockey in the last few Olympics.  But that team the US sent lake placid.  Just impressive.  I have watched the movie at least a dozen times...
    Amazing movie!! I show it to my classes when I teach the Cold War.  Again! Again!
    a hockey movie for cold war teachings?
    Oh hell yeah, kids love it. Fantastic movie. 
    Maybe you and I are the only people that understand the significance of that hockey victory in that time of history...

It was significant in exactly the same way the Kardashians are significant now.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    rgambs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    CM189191 said:
    That's weak.  The most impressive hockey team the US has ever assembled (talent wise no, but they were a great team, they had guts, character and a fantastic coach that knew how to beat the Soviets) was the miracle on ice.  
    I absolutely enjoyed our 3 Olympic Gold Medals in hockey in the last few Olympics.  But that team the US sent lake placid.  Just impressive.  I have watched the movie at least a dozen times...
    Amazing movie!! I show it to my classes when I teach the Cold War.  Again! Again!
    Maybe you and I are the only people that understand the significance of that hockey victory in that time of history...

hats your opinion...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,842
    rgambs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    CM189191 said:

hats your opinion...
    Socks to be you ;) 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    rgambs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    CM189191 said:

hats your opinion...
    You are welcome to refute it with evidence that the hockey match had an actual impact on the world and the state of the cold war beyond people's warm fuzzy surface thoughts and feelings, but I've never seen any. 
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,870
    rgambs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    CM189191 said:

hats your opinion...
    Socks to be you ;) 
    CHECK. MATE. :l:lol:
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    CM189191 said:

hats your opinion...
    You are welcome to refute it with evidence that the hockey match had an actual impact on the world and the state of the cold war beyond people's warm fuzzy surface thoughts and feelings, but I've never seen any. 
    Have you heard of Google?  Try it...I like I said your opinion I could care a less about.  You are more than welcome to google and post articles to back-up your case...
    Give Peas A Chance…
This discussion has been closed.