Options

Neil sick not inducting Pj Friday

Comments

• Options
    goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,271

No more RITFW :(

Yeah, I was really looking forward to this.
    i wouldn't be surprised if they still played it, or tagged it in some way, and sent it out to him.
    I doubt they play anything other than PJ songs at their own induction ceremony with or without Neil...
    Just curious as I rarely see these shows - how many times before (if ever) has a band covered a song by the person that inducted them?

Was this ever likely to happen, or were we just getting our hopes up for no reason?

Either way I'm not bothered about Letterman, just worried for Neil...
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
    i hope uncle neil feel better soon... see eddie will mention him at speech
    i like a lot the replecement..great choice
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,515
    edited April 2017

PJ_Soul said:

David Letterman is a angry jerk. Don't really have any interest in what DL has to say about Pearl Jam. If he wants to talk about being a terrible boss and perv than go for it.

I'm more on this side of the fence myself. I'm not invested in the opinion or anything, but still... I guess I just don't understand the amount of love pouring Dave's way generally. However good a talk show host he may have been and despite all the solid ideas and opinions he may have had over the years, he still just seems like a bit of an asshole to me. I can't say I really admire him as a human being. And I also happen to have no personal interest in how he feels about Pearl Jam. But anyway, whatever. I just hope Neil Young is okay. It's really too bad he couldn't be there for this, given his relationship with the band, which is much more meaningful than any relationship Dave Letterman might have with it.
    In that case Neil Young's also an asshole.

Eat a peach - etc.
    In what case? If I always felt like DL came off like a bit of an asshole I have to think the same of Neil? Did Neil sexually harass people? If he did I wasn't aware of it. Not that that is the only reason I always felt like DL seemed like a little bit of a dick.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    Spoony CSpoony C Posts: 278
    goldrush said:

No more RITFW :(

Yeah, I was really looking forward to this.
    i wouldn't be surprised if they still played it, or tagged it in some way, and sent it out to him.
    I doubt they play anything other than PJ songs at their own induction ceremony with or without Neil...
    Just curious as I rarely see these shows - how many times before (if ever) has a band covered a song by the person that inducted them?

Was this ever likely to happen, or were we just getting our hopes up for no reason?

Either way I'm not bothered about Letterman, just worried for Neil...
    There are a lot of collaborations at the shows, though fewer now that they've gone to the televised-on-HBO arena format than what they used to do in the semi-private hotel ballroom ceremonies. Nowadays, it's more that each band performs their block after their induction speeches (or at least the show presents it that way once it's edited and broadcast). But some do still collaborate--I know Dave Grohl and others joined in and played with Rush a few years ago. So bands will play together, or do a song by one another, etc. It's not weird to think PJ could play RITFW (with or without Neil, really, as they've made it such a staple of their own live presentation).
  • Options
    High Fidelity 2000High Fidelity 2000 New Mexico USA Posts: 4,435
    KV4053 said:

Wow. No offense to NY and hope he's OK, but DL is my hero. And it'll be a nice change. Inductions often feel like nepotism. DL is arms length

I thought I was the only one.... this makes me wish I was going much more than Neil Young doing the honors! David Letterman is on my shortlist of probably 5 people when I think of "hero" status. He's going to be awesome and a total unexpected treat.
    ABQ 93, Las Cruces 95, ABQ 98, Bridge School 10/30/99, Lubbock 00, ABQ 00, Denver 03, State College 03, San Diego 03, Vegas 03, PHX 03, D.C. 03, Camden 7/5/03, NYC 7/8/03 + 7/9/03, Vegas 06, San Francisco 7/15/06 + 7/16/06 + 7/18/06, Kansas City 10, EV:ABQ 11/6/12, Chicago 13, PHX 13, Denver 14--PJ24!, Telluride 16, Chicago 8/20/16, Chicago 8/18/18, Denver 20, Phoenix 20

New Mexico Pearl Jam Fans (New Mexico, USA) on Facebook!
  • Options
    High Fidelity 2000High Fidelity 2000 New Mexico USA Posts: 4,435

Fuck, Hopes Neil just got a cold and not something serious...

Dave will be fun though.

Hoping Neil posts his speech in written form or something on his site. Would love to see what he would say about the band.

I would not be surprised if Dave reads Neil's speech for him. Then adds a little more to it.

I do hope Neil is ok, this doesn't seem to be the type of thing someone would pull out of over a cold or flu.
    ABQ 93, Las Cruces 95, ABQ 98, Bridge School 10/30/99, Lubbock 00, ABQ 00, Denver 03, State College 03, San Diego 03, Vegas 03, PHX 03, D.C. 03, Camden 7/5/03, NYC 7/8/03 + 7/9/03, Vegas 06, San Francisco 7/15/06 + 7/16/06 + 7/18/06, Kansas City 10, EV:ABQ 11/6/12, Chicago 13, PHX 13, Denver 14--PJ24!, Telluride 16, Chicago 8/20/16, Chicago 8/18/18, Denver 20, Phoenix 20

New Mexico Pearl Jam Fans (New Mexico, USA) on Facebook!
  • Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,420
    lolobugg said:

I don't know, it's admirable that ppl are spinning this positively because honestly what can u do but Letterman? I like him but to induct the boys? He's a fan, great, and they were on his show a bunch, but so many other better choices: Cornell, Harper, JJames, Petty, Bruce. How about someone they inspired or they were inspired by. The novelty of Letterman is ok since basically he's been a recluse since retirement. But not really excited by it. A musician would have been a better choice in order to reinforce their musical impact as opposed to their cultural impact, which even naysayers can't deny. In the grand scheme it doesn't matter, but just strange

From the outside it looks like they were very desperate to find someone this late in the game. if I was going I would be extremely disappointed that Neil wasn't able to be there. but I am a huge fan. really hope nothing serious is going on with Mr. Young.
    I'm so pumped to possibly see a once in a lifetime renunion of the original
    lineup that Neil's absence dims my enthusiasm about 1%. It's Pearl Jam in the HOF, in NYC on a Friday night. I couldn't imagine being disappointed in anyway. Can't wait :smiley:
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    Sprunkn7Sprunkn7 Posts: 5,277
    Disappointed no Neil but shit happens and I feel bad. I'm sure he wishes he was there.
    Thank you fellow 10 clubber for saving my ass....again!!!
  • Options
    NamiNami Newfoundland Posts: 5,989
    I have no problem with Dave. I think he will be funny, sincere, and supportive as he always has been with the band and his fans.
    Hamilton 9-13-05; Toronto 5-9-06, Toronto 8-21-09, Toronto 9-12-11, Hamilton 9-15-11....
  • Options
    wwsuicidewwsuicide Posts: 1,303
    on2legs said:

lolobugg said:

I don't know, it's admirable that ppl are spinning this positively because honestly what can u do but Letterman? I like him but to induct the boys? He's a fan, great, and they were on his show a bunch, but so many other better choices: Cornell, Harper, JJames, Petty, Bruce. How about someone they inspired or they were inspired by. The novelty of Letterman is ok since basically he's been a recluse since retirement. But not really excited by it. A musician would have been a better choice in order to reinforce their musical impact as opposed to their cultural impact, which even naysayers can't deny. In the grand scheme it doesn't matter, but just strange

From the outside it looks like they were very desperate to find someone this late in the game. if I was going I would be extremely disappointed that Neil wasn't able to be there. but I am a huge fan. really hope nothing serious is going on with Mr. Young.
    I'm so pumped to possibly see a once in a lifetime renunion of the original
    lineup that Neil's absence dims my enthusiasm about 1%. It's Pearl Jam in the HOF, in NYC on a Friday night. I couldn't imagine being disappointed in anyway. Can't wait :smiley:
    Right on!
  • Options
    Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,911
    edited April 2017
    I think Dave is a fantastic replacement and equally as iconoclastic. Sure he won't jam with them like Neil would have. But whatever.
  • Options
    I'm ok with Dave.
    One of the things I've always loved about Ed is how sincere and heartfelt he comes across when taking about bands that he enjoys and has been influenced by, whether in interviews onstage or RRHOF speeches.

Neil and Dave are both guys with huge egos.
    I don't mean that disrespectfully. I'm a big fan of both; have spent hundreds of hours being entertained by both, and get especially sentimental now looking back at Dave. Really feel his show, on his good nights, was the best at what it did.
    Neither one of these two guys is PJ super-fan. Dave probably falls closer out of the two, and most likely will give a better speech.
    Yes Neil brings it hard onstage, but honestly, when he plays with PJ, he tends to dominate. At best it becomes the Ed & Neil Show. We lose out on a whole lot of Mike especially, Stone too. I think most of us are fine with getting a different song than RIFTW, Especially If It's a PJ Song. I know I'm excited about that.

So, with all that in mind, bring on Uncle Dave.
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,846
    If you guys wanted to see pearl jam jam with neil young then you should have been at the toronto 1 show in 2011. If you weren't there just enjoy pearl jam playing pearl jam songs as pearl jam while seeing other amazing acts at the inductions on Friday. In my opinion Letterman will be a much better speaker than neil.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,532
    mcgruff10 said:

If you guys wanted to see pearl jam jam with neil young then you should have been at the toronto 1 show in 2011. If you weren't there just enjoy pearl jam playing pearl jam songs as pearl jam while seeing other amazing acts at the inductions on Friday. In my opinion Letterman will be a much better speaker than neil.

Or Toledo in 2004!
  • Options

mcgruff10 said:

Or Toledo in 2004!
    I forgot about that one! Good call bud
  • Options
    SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,810
    mcgruff10 said:

If I had a time machine I would go back six years to a country I've never visited :lol:
    severed hand thirteen
    2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17

LOOKING FOR A SINGLE TICKET TO MSG NIGHT 2

• Options

mcgruff10 said:

If I had a time machine I would go back six years to a country I've never visited :lol:
    I told you to go joe!
  • Options
    lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,189
    mcgruff10 said:

so wrong, man.
    Neil being sick is more troubling to me. the fact that Neil pulled out "last minute". he has had problems with his brain in the past. epilepsy, hemorrhaging etc. i am seriously worried. but some of you can only see PJ PJ PJ PJ. enjoy the "show".
    i will be focusing my thoughts on Mr. Young.

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    lolobugg said:

mcgruff10 said:

so wrong, man.
    Neil being sick is more troubling to me. the fact that Neil pulled out "last minute". he has had problems with his brain in the past. epilepsy, hemorrhaging etc. i am seriously worried. but some of you can only see PJ PJ PJ PJ. enjoy the "show".
    what's wrong about it? enjoy seeing pearl jam and don't harp that neil won't be there. of course everyone is worried about neil but don't let it ruin your night.
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    I have no problem with Letterman but i don't understand the comments stating he is people's hero.
    He's a talk show host. He had a team of writers.
    Again, nothing against him, but, hero?? Weird.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:

lolobugg said:

mcgruff10 said:

so wrong, man.
    what's wrong about it? enjoy seeing pearl jam and don't harp that neil won't be there. of course everyone is worried about neil but don't let it ruin your night.
    wrong about Letterman being better than Neil. just my opinion.

1996- Charleston, SC

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2010- Bristow, VA

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    lolobugg said:

mcgruff10 said:

lolobugg said:

mcgruff10 said:

so wrong, man.
    aaah got ya. I just think letterman will be a better speaker.
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,687
    Letterman was a strong supporter of and very friendly toward both PJ and Ed throughout many years so opting to have him as Neil's replacement seems fitting enough.

But damn, I just hope Neil is OK. He's been through a lot and toughed it out every time-- polio, debilitating back problems in the early 70's, the brain aneurysm, and it seems to me he mentioned another major illness in one of his books.

Good thoughts going out for my long-time hero, Neil Young.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    mcgruff10 said:

lolobugg said:

mcgruff10 said:

lolobugg said:

mcgruff10 said:

so wrong, man.
    aaah got ya. I just think letterman will be a better speaker.
    i very well might. but he can't play the guitar like Neil.
    hope you guys enjoy the show.
    looking forward to seeing the replay.

1996- Charleston, SC

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2010- Bristow, VA

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,519
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,687
    Smellyman said:
    Ah yes! I have taped it that night!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,810
    mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

I told you to go joe!
    Couldn't at the time but loved PJ20 days earlier!

The night of Toronto 1 I was at the jets/cowboys game of 9/11 ten year anniversary and the USA chants were chilling. A moment I wouldn't trade.
    severed hand thirteen
    2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17

LOOKING FOR A SINGLE TICKET TO MSG NIGHT 2

• Options
    E.KE.K New South Wales, Australia Posts: 7,699
    red mos said:

Where is this coming from? Haven't seen anything.

I read it on the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame's Facebook page.
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,946

Fuck, Hopes Neil just got a cold and not something serious...

Dave will be fun though.

Hoping Neil posts his speech in written form or something on his site. Would love to see what he would say about the band.

I would not be surprised if Dave reads Neil's speech for him. Then adds a little more to it.

I do hope Neil is ok, this doesn't seem to be the type of thing someone would pull out of over a cold or flu.
    Haha. Then they should have gotten Jimmy Fallon to do his Neil impersonation.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,946
    PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

David Letterman is a angry jerk. Don't really have any interest in what DL has to say about Pearl Jam. If he wants to talk about being a terrible boss and perv than go for it.

I'm more on this side of the fence myself. I'm not invested in the opinion or anything, but still... I guess I just don't understand the amount of love pouring Dave's way generally. However good a talk show host he may have been and despite all the solid ideas and opinions he may have had over the years, he still just seems like a bit of an asshole to me. I can't say I really admire him as a human being. And I also happen to have no personal interest in how he feels about Pearl Jam. But anyway, whatever. I just hope Neil Young is okay. It's really too bad he couldn't be there for this, given his relationship with the band, which is much more meaningful than any relationship Dave Letterman might have with it.
    In that case Neil Young's also an asshole.

Eat a peach - etc.
    In what case? If I always felt like DL came off like a bit of an asshole I have to think the same of Neil? Did Neil sexually harass people? If he did I wasn't aware of it. Not that that is the only reason I always felt like DL seemed like a little bit of a dick.
    Don't know anything about Letterman sexually herrasing people. I only knew he had an affair.

Anywho, Neil wont release the Dublin 1995 concert video. Asshole-move!
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"