Options

Neil sick not inducting Pj Friday

Comments

• Options
    lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,190
    tbergs said:

I liked Letterman as a late night host, but I think it's mainly because he filled the void after Carson left and he's nostalgia for me growing up. Not to mention he had one of the few places you could see PJ perform new music live without buying a ticket. As much as I liked his late night show, I also got annoyed by some of the humor and repetitiveness. His interviews were usually pretty good, which is rare in late night these days, but he never translated his success very well outside the late night show. Who could forget his Oscars hosting disaster? I just hope he doesn't insert the wacky stupidity in to the induction speech and make it a groan fest.

I think what we will most miss in the speech by Letterman is the more defined personal relationship the entire band had with Neil. That guy knew everyone in the band and has for years. I just don't feel like Letterman has that type of relationship with anyone beyond Eddie (and even that is probably not that in depth) and it's more of a fan perspective than a fan and colleague appreciation and love we would have got from Neil.

^truth

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,922
    Prediction:

David Letterman gives a killer speech that goes viral and is everywhere by tomorrow morning.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    JimmyV said:

Prediction:

David Letterman gives a killer speech that goes viral and is everywhere by tomorrow morning.

^fiction

1996- Charleston, SC

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2010- Bristow, VA

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    maybe Letterman can do a little reprise of his Oscar monologue......

Dave A meet Dave K

1996- Charleston, SC

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2010- Bristow, VA

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    KV4053KV4053 Mike's side, crushed up against the stage Posts: 1,460
    JimmyV said:

Prediction:

I know I was born and I know that I'll die. The in between is mine.
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    edited April 2017
    Letterman inducting Pearl Jam
    Geddy & Lifeson inducting Yes
    Snoop inducting Tupac
    Lenny Kravitz with a tribute to Prince

This is going to be one hell of a show!
    Post edited by HesCalledDyer on
  • Options

Letterman inducting Pearl Jam
    Geddy & Lifeson inducting Yes
    Snoop inducting Tupac
    Lenny Kravitz with a tribute to Prince

This is going to be one hell of a show!

Also, Dhani Harrison inducting Jeff Lynne and ELO.
    Don't forget Dhani is very good friends with the guys in PJ and has also played with them on several occasions.
    The show closing "drunks in tuxedos at a wedding jam" could still be interesting even without Uncle Neil.
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    tbergs said:

I liked Letterman as a late night host, but I think it's mainly because he filled the void after Carson left and he's nostalgia for me growing up. Not to mention he had one of the few places you could see PJ perform new music live without buying a ticket. As much as I liked his late night show, I also got annoyed by some of the humor and repetitiveness. His interviews were usually pretty good, which is rare in late night these days, but he never translated his success very well outside the late night show. Who could forget his Oscars hosting disaster? I just hope he doesn't insert the wacky stupidity in to the induction speech and make it a groan fest.

I think what we will most miss in the speech by Letterman is the more defined personal relationship the entire band had with Neil. That guy knew everyone in the band and has for years. I just don't feel like Letterman has that type of relationship with anyone beyond Eddie (and even that is probably not that in depth) and it's more of a fan perspective than a fan and colleague appreciation and love we would have got from Neil.

I liked Letterman because he refused to pander to his guests like all the other schlubs do. He made a fool out of you if you deserved it (Madonna, Paris Hilton, politicians). No other late night host does that, at least not to that degree.

Fallon's interview with Trump angered me. Letterman would have skewered Trump.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options

tbergs said:

I liked Letterman because he refused to pander to his guests like all the other schlubs do. He made a fool out of you if you deserved it (Madonna, Paris Hilton, politicians). No other late night host does that, at least not to that degree.

You forgot the full on takedown of Joaquin Phoenix. One of the greatest moments ever on TV.
  • Options
    KV4053 said:

tbergs said:

You forgot the full on takedown of Joaquin Phoenix. One of the greatest moments ever on TV.
    This qualifies him as a hero: https://youtu.be/WEWz8F5sfpY
  • Options
    KV4053 said:

tbergs said:

very true. that was amazing.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,203
    KV4053 said:

KV4053 said:

tbergs said:

This qualifies him as a hero: https://youtu.be/WEWz8F5sfpY
    agree, this was fantastic. and when him and Dan Rather got emotional...incredible tv moments.
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,014
    I've only watched Kimmel a handful of times, but I never really liked him. Thought he had small presence and lacked personality.
    I watched the episode on Back to the Future 2 day and that bit they did. I remember thinking it should have been funny, but it was so boring and dry!
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,729
    Can't say enough about Dave. When I was in a very rough spot in my life that last for a long time, I'd watch Dave every night and forget all my troubles for an hour or so. Watching Letterman helped me more than I can say.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    During lunch in middle school and high school my friends and I discussed the Top 10 list from the night before. Every. Single. Day.
  • Options
    SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,872

During lunch in middle school and high school my friends and I discussed the Top 10 list from the night before. Every. Single. Day.

I almost always found #2 to be the funniest and #1 to be the oddest.
    severed hand thirteen

2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17
  • Options

me too. me thinks that was by design since it pretty consistently followed that format. Just like Track 8 +/- 1 is the best song on each PJ album
  • Options
    mace1229 said:

I've only watched Kimmel a handful of times, but I never really liked him. Thought he had small presence and lacked personality.
    I watched the episode on Back to the Future 2 day and that bit they did. I remember thinking it should have been funny, but it was so boring and dry!

The only thing I like about Kimmel is the Matt Damon bit and that's only because I'm a huge Matt Damon fan. Kimmel seems to have changed once he got 'famous'. New look, new wife, new kids, etc.
    I'm through with screaming
  • Options
    KV4053 said:

me too. me thinks that was by design since it pretty consistently followed that format. Just like Track 8 +/- 1 is the best song on each PJ album
    That's funny. my best friend growing up and I used to have the lamest discussions. We'd often debate what was the best all-around track.
    I always argued for #8. Never heard any else mention that since then.
  • Options

mace1229 said:

The only thing I like about Kimmel is the Matt Damon bit and that's only because I'm a huge Matt Damon fan. Kimmel seems to have changed once he got 'famous'. New look, new wife, new kids, etc.
    Yeah, and Sarah Silverman and Ben made that bit funny too, not Kimmel.
    Kimmel's peak was the side-kick on "Win Ben Stein's Money."
    I do miss that show...
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,640
    A lot of those hosts were ironically better and funnier before they landed their prime time slots. Conan and Dave for sure.

Leno is easily one of the nicest celebs ive ever met. Seriously. It made me conflicted over the Conan/dave stuff. Very cool to my wife and i. Took care of us. Put us on TV even. Lol. So i cant say a bad word about him. I refuse!
  • Options
    mace1229 said:

mace1229 said:

I do miss that show...
    Forgot all about that show!
    I'm through with screaming
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,021
    lolobugg said:

maybe Letterman can do a little reprise of his Oscar monologue......

Dave A meet Dave K

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    mace1229 said:

KV4053 said:

That's funny. my best friend growing up and I used to have the lamest discussions. We'd often debate what was the best all-around track.
    I always argued for #8. Never heard any else mention that since then.
    That's not lame at all :)
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,203
    mace1229 said:

mace1229 said:

I do miss that show...
    Kimmel's peak was the Man Show. I mean who can forget girls jumping on trampolines and wheelbarrow of porn.
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,244
    pjhawks said:

mace1229 said:

mace1229 said:

I do miss that show...
    Kimmel's peak was the Man Show. I mean who can forget girls jumping on trampolines and wheelbarrow of porn.
    I always found it interesting that he went from that to a late night gig. Went from a pervert to the guy you go to bed with...oh, wait, that's about right I guess.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options

tbergs said:

Definitely the lost art of late night these days is a solid interviewer and that is what I really liked about Letterman. He was an intelligent guy who knew how to have a real conversation without just gushing all over the guests. I'm hoping Colbert masters his craft and becomes that or Seth Meyers.
  • Options
    tbergs said:

tbergs said:

Definitely the lost art of late night these days is a solid interviewer and that is what I really liked about Letterman. He was an intelligent guy who knew how to have a real conversation without just gushing all over the guests. I'm hoping Colbert masters his craft and becomes that or Seth Meyers.
    exactly, Fallon just fan-boys all over everyone. it's gross and embarassing to watch. conan just always tries to be the funniest in the room. I find that annoying. as much as i disliked leno's show, I'd rather watch him than either of those two.

I haven't watched colbert, but I do think that Seth Meyers has the wit like letterman does.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    erocshiftyerocshifty Posts: 1,170
    I hope Neil is ok and I'm pretty happy about Letterman inducting PJ. I hope he didn't shave the beard. :o
    "It's best to live in grace before you're forced to." EV- 10/09/2014 
  • Options
    Dave did a great job tonight. Really enjoyed hearing the back story on Eddie's first appearance on the late show from both Dave and Ed. Good shit.