Options

Neil sick not inducting Pj Friday

Comments

• Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    I hope they play 4 Neil Young covers and drop the mic...

I would be the happiest man in the building!

I'm sure Dave Krusen can play Powderfinger :)
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,640
    Never liked Letterman's show post mid 90s. Never been a big Neil Young fan. Hope he's okay though. He's a legend.

In the end Im here for PJ's speech and performance. And Steve Perry. I want Steve on stage more than Dave A.
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,230
    edited April 2017
    PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

David Letterman is a angry jerk. Don't really have any interest in what DL has to say about Pearl Jam. If he wants to talk about being a terrible boss and perv than go for it.

I'm more on this side of the fence myself. I'm not invested in the opinion or anything, but still... I guess I just don't understand the amount of love pouring Dave's way generally. However good a talk show host he may have been and despite all the solid ideas and opinions he may have had over the years, he still just seems like a bit of an asshole to me. I can't say I really admire him as a human being. And I also happen to have no personal interest in how he feels about Pearl Jam. But anyway, whatever. I just hope Neil Young is okay. It's really too bad he couldn't be there for this, given his relationship with the band, which is much more meaningful than any relationship Dave Letterman might have with it.
    In that case Neil Young's also an asshole.

Eat a peach - etc.
    In what case? If I always felt like DL came off like a bit of an asshole I have to think the same of Neil? Did Neil sexually harass people? If he did I wasn't aware of it. Not that that is the only reason I always felt like DL seemed like a little bit of a dick.
    Wait a minute....Sexually harass people? Dave had an affair with one of his staffers, publicly apologized, and is still with his wife. He didn't sexually harass anyone.

For someone who defended Bill Cosby, I find it odd that you so casually throw this term around to others without any kind of proof...
    Post edited by The Juggler on
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    :lol: someone defended Bill Cosby? Wtf. I knew about his ways in the early 90s
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,616

:lol: someone defended Bill Cosby?

Yeah, no idea where that discussion was but how could anyone defend the clear rapist and the man who bestowed the 'Cosby Blessing' on his sleeping victims?
    Guessing there were some other points being debated. I know Whoopi defended him but I think that was before the mountain of charges against the dirty sob.

Sorry there is no Uncle Neil (get better!) but am going to see Pearl Jam, so all will be good.

Didn't read this entire thread so apologies if someone already shared this -- my favorite live performance of this song & on Letterman. Almost the entire crowd seems to be PJ fans.

https://youtu.be/COAqYlZ-6Ds

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    Letterman can be funny and then serious in the course of five seconds. He's a good speaker.
  • Options

KV4053 said:

Wow. No offense to NY and hope he's OK, but DL is my hero. And it'll be a nice change. Inductions often feel like nepotism. DL is arms length

I thought I was the only one.... this makes me wish I was going much more than Neil Young doing the honors! David Letterman is on my shortlist of probably 5 people when I think of "hero" status. He's going to be awesome and a total unexpected treat.
    Why? Just curious.
    I'm through with screaming
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    mcgruff10 said:

lolobugg said:

mcgruff10 said:

If you guys wanted to see pearl jam jam with neil young then you should have been at the toronto 1 show in 2011. If you weren't there just enjoy pearl jam playing pearl jam songs as pearl jam while seeing other amazing acts at the inductions on Friday. In my opinion Letterman will be a much better speaker than neil.

so wrong, man.
    Neil being sick is more troubling to me. the fact that Neil pulled out "last minute". he has had problems with his brain in the past. epilepsy, hemorrhaging etc. i am seriously worried. but some of you can only see PJ PJ PJ PJ. enjoy the "show".
    i will be focusing my thoughts on Mr. Young.
    what's wrong about it? enjoy seeing pearl jam and don't harp that neil won't be there. of course everyone is worried about neil but don't let it ruin your night.
    Exactly. I don't know Neil Young personally so what's the point in not focusing on Pearl Jam's induction? I wish no ill will upon anyone but, ya know, people get old and their health fails. Hell I'm dealing with it myself and I'm not even freakin old.
  • Options
    mookeywrenchmookeywrench Posts: 5,749
    Obama? C'mon man
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,674
    In which the Porch becomes the entertainment section of AMT. :lol:
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    rgambs said:

I have no problem with Letterman but i don't understand the comments stating he is people's hero.
    He's a talk show host. He had a team of writers.
    Again, nothing against him, but, hero?? Weird.

he had a team of writers for his monologue. behind that desk, it was all him, and that is where he truly shone.
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,906
    I don't think people realize how much Dave changed late night comedy. None of the talk show comedians would be successful doing what they are doing without Dave changing the game.
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,873
    The induction itself remains far more important than who is giving the speech beforehand. Looking forward to hearing what Dave has to say, but in the end what matters is the band.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

David Letterman is a angry jerk. Don't really have any interest in what DL has to say about Pearl Jam. If he wants to talk about being a terrible boss and perv than go for it.

I'm more on this side of the fence myself. I'm not invested in the opinion or anything, but still... I guess I just don't understand the amount of love pouring Dave's way generally. However good a talk show host he may have been and despite all the solid ideas and opinions he may have had over the years, he still just seems like a bit of an asshole to me. I can't say I really admire him as a human being. And I also happen to have no personal interest in how he feels about Pearl Jam. But anyway, whatever. I just hope Neil Young is okay. It's really too bad he couldn't be there for this, given his relationship with the band, which is much more meaningful than any relationship Dave Letterman might have with it.

Eat a peach - etc.
    In what case? If I always felt like DL came off like a bit of an asshole I have to think the same of Neil? Did Neil sexually harass people? If he did I wasn't aware of it. Not that that is the only reason I always felt like DL seemed like a little bit of a dick.
    Don't know anything about Letterman sexually herrasing people. I only knew he had an affair.

Anywho, Neil wont release the Dublin 1995 concert video. Asshole-move!
    Pretty sure it was just an affair. but then the woman or her new boyfriend or whatever started blackmailing Dave. Other than that I don't know if any harassment. I just know hes a gruff personality at times.
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,929
    edited April 2017

Letterman can be funny and then serious in the course of five seconds. He's a good speaker.

Yeah. I love how he lured his guests with the Talk Show-persona but werent afraid to nail them (Bill Oreilly, Trump etc)
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    edited April 2017

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

Eat a peach - etc.
    Don't know anything about Letterman sexually herrasing people. I only knew he had an affair.

Anywho, Neil wont release the Dublin 1995 concert video. Asshole-move!
    Pretty sure it was just an affair. but then the woman or her new boyfriend or whatever started blackmailing Dave. Other than that I don't know if any harassment. I just know hes a gruff personality at times.
    It was her boyfriend/ex boyfriend. Not her.

She's the woman who was often featured on the show (and mighty charming) who Dave always adressed using different names.

And being gruff. Yeah, once again - in what way is that different from Neil?

Go go Dave!
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options

rgambs said:

I have no problem with Letterman but i don't understand the comments stating he is people's hero.
    He's a talk show host. He had a team of writers.
    Again, nothing against him, but, hero?? Weird.

he had a team of writers for his monologue. behind that desk, it was all him, and that is where he truly shone.

Yes.
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,230

I don't think people realize how much Dave changed late night comedy. None of the talk show comedians would be successful doing what they are doing without Dave changing the game.

He's a legend.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,271
    edited April 2017
    Not much of an update but it's good to hear it's "nothing major"

pitchfork.com/news/72679-neil-young-illness-nothing-major-representative-says/
    Post edited by goldrush on
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • Options
    Dave is/was a huge fan of Black. I guess the chances of that one being played is bigger now.
  • Options

He's a legend.
    Sharp as a tack.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,513
    edited April 2017

:lol: someone defended Bill Cosby? Wtf. I knew about his ways in the early 90s

No, I did not defend Bill Cosby. I have no idea where he got that from. I think when that story broke I said that I needed more evidence before I knew how I felt about it one way or the other. It kind of pisses me off that he posted that I actually defended him rather than the idea of innocent until proven guilty (which he was).
    As for the sexual harassment comment... I read a bunch of thing back when that whole debacle came about for DL, and the discussion was indeed his bahviour at work towards women and how that put them at a disadvantage, depending on how they responded to his own sexually harass-y behaviour. Nobody took him to court for it, but to me it seemed like workplace sexual harassment issue. Kind of asshole-like behviour at the very least, IMO.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    edited April 2017

Yeah, no idea where that discussion was but how could anyone defend the clear rapist and the man who bestowed the 'Cosby Blessing' on his sleeping victims?
    Guessing there were some other points being debated. I know Whoopi defended him but I think that was before the mountain of charges against the dirty sob.

Sorry there is no Uncle Neil (get better!) but am going to see Pearl Jam, so all will be good.

Didn't read this entire thread so apologies if someone already shared this -- my favorite live performance of this song & on Letterman. Almost the entire crowd seems to be PJ fans.

I DID NOT DEFEND BILL COSBY. :angry: Jesus.
    (and here is the thread to prove it - http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/240656/bill-cosby-is-a-rapist/p3 )
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options

I think for me, I just don't care enough about late night talk shows for that to have an impact on me.
  • Options
    Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    :lol:
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,616
    PJ_Soul said:

(and here is the thread to prove it - http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/240656/bill-cosby-is-a-rapist/p3 )
    Guessing there were some other points being debated.
    Yeah was hard pressed to be able to think anyone would defend him, especially knowing your typical stance on such things - would find it wild to think that you defended him.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options

PJ_Soul said:

Guessing there were some other points being debated.
    Yeah was hard pressed to be able to think anyone would defend him, especially knowing your typical stance on such things - would find it wild to think that you defended him.
    The only thing I defend when it comes to Bill Cosby is his obvious love of a good hoagie, no pun intended. ;)
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

I think for me, I just don't care enough about late night talk shows for that to have an impact on me.
    Fair enough.

But it wasn't just the late night format. He did give a platform for more off beat comedy. The existence of irreverent comedy today, which is the lifeblood of the best comedy, owes a debt of gratitude to Dave who brought it mainstream.
  • Options
    edited April 2017

PJ_Soul said:

Fair enough.

But it wasn't just the late night format. He did give a platform for more off beat comedy. The existence of irreverent comedy today, which is the lifeblood of the best comedy, owes a debt of gratitude to Dave who brought it mainstream.
    I guess. Hey, I have absolutely NO problem with other people being Dave Letterman fans. I am also thinking it's kind of strange to see people calling him a "hero", like someone else mentioned, but okay. I had no idea people felt such feelings about the man, lol. I figured they just thought he was a good late night talk show host who they grew up watching, and it stopped there, haha. I mean, if the guy has done some truly amazing and admirable things, like worked his butt off to change the lives of the disadvantaged, or seriously advocated for very important causes or something, I'd better understand where everyone is coming from. I didn't know someone could become a hero just by being somewhat clever on a major TV network and by contributing to the late night talk show format. But okay, if people feel like that makes him a hero, fine by me. ;) I think there are a couple of other late night talk show hosts who have contributed more, like Stewart and Colbert and even Jimmy Kimmel. They seem to have brought something more unique to the genre than Letterman, IMHO.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

Fair enough.

I guess. Hey, I have absolutely NO problem with other people being Dave Letterman fans. I am also thinking it's kind of strange to see people calling him a "hero", like someone else mentioned, but okay. I had no idea people felt such feelings about the man, lol. I figured they just thought he was a good late night talk show host who they grew up watching, and it stopped there, haha. I mean, if the guy has done some truly amazing and admirable things, like worked his butt off to change the lives of the disadvantaged, or seriously advocated for very important causes or something, I'd better understand where everyone is coming from. I didn't know someone could become a hero just by being somewhat clever on a major TV network and by contributing to the late night talk show format. But okay, if people feel like that makes him a hero, fine by me. ;) I think there are a couple of other late night talk show hosts who have contributed more, like Stewart and Colbert and even Jimmy Kimmel. They seem to have brought something more unique to the genre than Letterman, IMHO.
    Do you really know enough about the talk show scene and history to feel confident in saying that Kimmel has brought something more unique than Letterman?