Options

Donald Trump

Comments

• Options
    Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,046
    mrussel1 said:
    Please... calling it a failure because it's under stress is total hyperbole.  It's the longest running Constitution.  That's hardly a failure.  
    no it's not hyperbole at all. it just hasn't been tested all these years. now it is, and it is showing GLARING problems with accountability. trump is showing single handedly that any one man who has power can fucking do whatever he wants. especially if he holds both chambers. and scotus. jesus, it's frightening how easy it seems to corrupt the longest running constitution. 
    This is a great post, Hugh.  To me this is the problem.  Trump is doing and saying (so many lies) whatever he wants and not only is he not being held accountable but he many times is doubling down on his lies and then blaming/accusing others.
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,087
    edited December 2019
    mrussel1 said:
    Please... calling it a failure because it's under stress is total hyperbole.  It's the longest running Constitution.  That's hardly a failure.  
    no it's not hyperbole at all. it just hasn't been tested all these years. now it is, and it is showing GLARING problems with accountability. trump is showing single handedly that any one man who has power can fucking do whatever he wants. especially if he holds both chambers. and scotus. jesus, it's frightening how easy it seems to corrupt the longest running constitution. 
    This is a great post, Hugh.  To me this is the problem.  Trump is doing and saying (so many lies) whatever he wants and not only is he not being held accountable but he many times is doubling down on his lies and then blaming/accusing others.
    I hear you both on this, but let's not forget the final check and balance.  The election.  I don't believe it is fair to say that the system is inadequate yet.  I think the system is working as it's laid out...sure there are some oddities.  And sure, it's likely trump is impeached but not convicted.  But this becomes the #1 election issue.  And we will see what the will of the people is and what they are willing to put up with.  

The reality is with all this stuff you are seeing, the single biggest risk to the system and the single biggest reason we get what we get is because people DO NOT VOTE.  If everyone went to vote, we'd be in a much different position then we are today.  Pandering to the extremes wouldn't be happening on the same scale.
    Post edited by cincybearcat on
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,954
    mrussel1 said:
    I hear you both on this, but let's not forget the final check and balance.  They election.  I don't believe it is fair to say that the system is inadequate yet.  I think the system is working as it's laid out...sure there are some oddities.  And sure, it's likely trump is impeached but not convicted.  But this becomes the #1 election issue.  And we will see what the will of the people is and what they are willing to put up with.  

The reality is with all this stuff you are seeing, the single biggest risk to the system and the single biggest reason we get what we get is because people DO NOT VOTE.  If everyone went to vote, we'd be in a much different position then we are today.  Pandering to the extremes wouldn't be happening on the same scale.
    All good points...but yes if the election doesn't remove him then it exposes another angle of a failed system which is freedom of speech.  We have media outlets that spew absolute bullshit and there is nothing anyone can do about it.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,628
    for one, the impeachment process shouldn't be handled by congress. it's a partisan joke. i know it's not a legal proceeding, so it can't be handled by the courts. but maybe an independent body that doesn't pander to the president or their constituents with the choices they make. 
    That body would have to be selected.  And who would select it?  Probably Congress.  And like committees, that body would be chosen by the party that has the numbers, in the House and Senate.  And it would have to be an odd number to avoid a hung jury.  So you would basically have to amend the Constitution to create this body and its makeup would essentially mimic the Congress.  
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,819
    mrussel1 said:
    I hear you both on this, but let's not forget the final check and balance.  They election.  I don't believe it is fair to say that the system is inadequate yet.  I think the system is working as it's laid out...sure there are some oddities.  And sure, it's likely trump is impeached but not convicted.  But this becomes the #1 election issue.  And we will see what the will of the people is and what they are willing to put up with.  

very true. it's staggering how many people don't vote. I guess there are many who can't or simply don't give AF.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    mrussel1 said:

That final check and balance, the election, is under attack.

How confident is anyone that it is going to be fair? Especially when the Republicans are going to give an OK rubber stamp to foreign interference.
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    for one, the impeachment process shouldn't be handled by congress. it's a partisan joke. i know it's not a legal proceeding, so it can't be handled by the courts. but maybe an independent body that doesn't pander to the president or their constituents with the choices they make. 
    That body would have to be selected.  And who would select it?  Probably Congress.  And like committees, that body would be chosen by the party that has the numbers, in the House and Senate.  And it would have to be an odd number to avoid a hung jury.  So you would basically have to amend the Constitution to create this body and its makeup would essentially mimic the Congress.  
    I think a 3 judge panel.  Simon Cowell, Howard Stern, and Gwen Stefani.

And in the future when they are dead and gone, pick the 3 highest rated shows with celebrity judges and select 1 from each by viewers calling in.  Then when they have an opinion, it's straight majority.  2 votes = impeachment.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    dignin said:
    mrussel1 said:

How confident is anyone that it is going to be fair? Especially when the Republicans are going to give an OK rubber stamp to foreign interference.
    I think the election itself will be fair.  I think idiots falling for facebook posts, tweets and the like are the concern.  I don;t think any votes were not accurate or were changed were they?  Just influencing the voters.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,819
    mrussel1 said:
    I'm thinking random hollywood celebrities and musicians. LOL 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    mrussel1 said:

And in the future when they are dead and gone, pick the 3 highest rated shows with celebrity judges and select 1 from each by viewers calling in.  Then when they have an opinion, it's straight majority.  2 votes = impeachment.
    Genius, and perfect for our culture.  
  • Options
    dignin said:
    mrussel1 said:

I think the election itself will be fair.  I think idiots falling for facebook posts, tweets and the like are the concern.  I don;t think any votes were not accurate or were changed were they?  Just influencing the voters.
    I think votes changing is very much a possibility, in the past and future. And not much is being done to protect against those vulnerabilities.

And I will put on my tin foil hat here and say that if votes were ever changed nobody in power would want to admit it. It would undermine everything.

Go back to paper balloting.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/07/25/us/politics/russian-hacking-elections.html

Russia Targeted Election Systems in All 50 States, Report Finds

"It concluded that while there was no evidence that any votes were changed in actual voting machines, “Russian cyberactors were in a position to delete or change voter data” in the Illinois voter database. The committee found no evidence that they did so."

I'm sure they just looked around.
  • Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,937
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

I guess we need an impeachment buzzer and some confetti then.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    benjs said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

And a gong... bring back some Gong Show nostalgia.  
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    benjs said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

And a gong... bring back some Gong Show nostalgia.  
    I like the idea of the gong
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    stuckinlinestuckinline Posts: 3,358
    edited December 2019
    Post edited by stuckinline on
  • Options
    ikiTikiT USA Posts: 11,007
    edited December 2019
    double post...thanks for fixing the quote function...

Post edited by ikiT on
    Bristow 05132010 to Amsterdam 2 06132018
  • Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,114
    mrussel1 said:
    I hear you both on this, but let's not forget the final check and balance.  The election.  I don't believe it is fair to say that the system is inadequate yet.  I think the system is working as it's laid out...sure there are some oddities.  And sure, it's likely trump is impeached but not convicted.  But this becomes the #1 election issue.  And we will see what the will of the people is and what they are willing to put up with.  

If they’re not voting they probably don’t believe government is the solution. But I am concerned the democrats base response to trump was for extremist policies.
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,703
    mrussel1 said:

If they’re not voting they probably don’t believe government is the solution. But I am concerned the democrats base response to trump was for extremist policies.
    the base? no. same as the other extreme. an opening was exploited. gop tried to absorb that in the tea party. you see how thats working out for them. 

much of what the progressive extreme espouses isnt necessarily wrong in my view.  they just arent honest in presenting it. very little if any gets passed as presented. there is no hope of gaining a 60 plus majority in the Senate so , its all hot air . 

some needle movement may be possible, but they need to make it seem like a gop idea.....
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,286
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    the longest running anything eventually fails. it is not hyperbole. it is a fact.
    It hasn't failed.
    it is in the process of failing now!! open your eyes. the checks and balances are not fucking checking or balancing.
    Failed and failing are different tenses.  It hasn't failed.  If Trump isn't removed from office, it still hasn't failed because the process followed the Constitution.  I would argue the Republicans have failed in their duties for sure.  And a pox on them for it.  Until elections are cancelled or the military overtakes the civilian the government, or something like that, it hasn't failed.  The Constitution didn't fail when Lincoln suspended the writ of Habeas Corpus and I would argue that was far, far more dangerous to the Republic than the good Senator from Nebraska voting no on the impeachment articles.  I'm fully awake, but my eyes have a long historical lens.  
    when did secession and outright open rebellion against the united states and what the president has done- breaching of the emoluments clause/soliciting help from a foreign goverment to win and election, and extorting an ally all become equated? that is apples to oranges. the southern states bolted on their fear of what lincoln would do to infringe on their rights. in this case the president committed crimes. the people agree, and the republicans in government are doing nothing about it. you are comparing two entirely different historical scenarios.

we are nowhere near a civil war here, but if trump walks from this, the country will take a generation to recover.
    My point is that the Constitution survived much more stress than this moment in history.  I provided examples of those moments.  So by your own point, I agree.  Secession, Nullification, Habeas, etc, were far more dangerous moments in our country's history.  Trump not being convicted by the Senate is despicable, but not fatal.  Trump being convicted but refusing to leave, and the no action being taken would be fatal.  That's why I think this whole argument is hyperbolic.  
    I think we are closer to the edge of cliff than most people believe..

jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    mrussel1 said:

Extremist? 

You mean like Canada, UK, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, Mexico, Switzerland, Costa Rica, Norway, New Zealand, Sweden, etc., etc., etc.

The horror!

I'll ignore all of the talking points we've been spoonfed over the years about demographics, land mass, etc. They aren't reasons; they are excuses.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    dankind said:
    mrussel1 said:

Extremist? 

You mean like Canada, UK, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, Mexico, Switzerland, Costa Rica, Norway, New Zealand, Sweden, etc., etc., etc.

The horror!

I'll ignore all of the talking points we've been spoonfed over the years about demographics, land mass, etc. They aren't reasons; they are excuses.
    Shit hole countries.
  • Options
    For those still wondering why the black voter turnout wasn’t as strong in 2016 as it was for Obama. And yea, social media couldn’t possibly influence an election.

https://apple.news/Ah2hfpDwWTWOIEmMDs4OQgQ
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    For those still wondering why the black voter turnout wasn’t as strong in 2016 as it was for Obama. And yea, social media couldn’t possibly influence an election.

https://apple.news/Ah2hfpDwWTWOIEmMDs4OQgQ
    Oh I know what they were doing.  I am surprised that people fall for that crap.  It's sad really.  
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,286
    https://apple.news/ABM26PsMwQV6LHBPFhNpPEg
    I’m sure he threatened his king to make sure it doesn’t happen again ..

jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,114
    dankind said:
    mrussel1 said:

Extremist? 

The horror!

How many electoral votes are there in Canada, UK, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, Mexico, Switzerland, Costa Rica, Norway, New Zealand, Sweden?

Let me know if that gets us to 270. We can then have a giant AMT party celebrating Trumps defeat. Thanks!
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    dankind said:
    mrussel1 said:

Extremist? 

The horror!

How many electoral votes are there in Canada, UK, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, Mexico, Switzerland, Costa Rica, Norway, New Zealand, Sweden?

Let me know if that gets us to 270. We can then have a giant AMT party celebrating Trumps defeat. Thanks!
    Considering that we’re the only developed country to exploit an electoral college system in the selection of its figurehead, perhaps, on a global scale, that could be considered extremist.

But what you dub extremist is basically just candidates who believe that their country needs to at least attempt to catch up with the rest of the free world when it comes to taking care of its own citizens.

One could argue that only an extremist would view such policies as extremist. 

I mean, as far as I know, historically, the number of people in the US who have resorted to violence because they want access to better education and healthcare is zero—granted, I might be missing a handful—but the number of people in the US who have resorted to violence to block access to education and healthcare is, well, kind of extreme. 

I won’t waste anymore my of time or mindshare here. But one could go on and make that argument. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,937
    dankind said:
    dankind said:
    mrussel1 said:

Extremist? 

The horror!

Considering that we’re the only developed country to exploit an electoral college system in the selection of its figurehead, perhaps, on a global scale, that could be considered extremist.

But what you dub extremist is basically just candidates who believe that their country needs to at least attempt to catch up with the rest of the free world when it comes to taking care of its own citizens.

I mean, as far as I know, historically, the number of people in the US who have resorted to violence because they want access to better education and healthcare is zero—granted, I might be missing a handful—but the number of people in the US who have resorted to violence to block access to education and healthcare is, well, kind of extreme. 

I won’t waste anymore my of time or mindshare here. But one could go on and make that argument. 
    It's all about where you're looking from. Inside the US today, many of the notions being discussed are extreme and radical because what's being experienced today doesn't look/feel anything like them. From outside the US (at least from a Canadian's perspective), the US itself looks extreme already, and the positional shifts being discussed would make the US look less extreme, but only because it would be a shift closer to the Canadian mentality. 

Anyways, in terms of the Electoral College system, I'm still a believer in proportionally dividing the EC seats won within a State. If 40% of voters in California vote X and 60% vote Y, they should each get the appropriate percentages of the number of EC seats allocated to California. This would preserve the best value of the EC system - which is that there's a floor and a ceiling on each State's voting rights to minimize the disproportionality from varying population sizes to prevent a state wielding too little/too much voting power - while still pivoting to a truly more representative model of running an election.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    benjs said:
    dankind said:
    dankind said:
    mrussel1 said:

Extremist? 

The horror!

It's all about where you're looking from. Inside the US today, many of the notions being discussed are extreme and radical because what's being experienced today doesn't look/feel anything like them. From outside the US (at least from a Canadian's perspective), the US itself looks extreme already, and the positional shifts being discussed would make the US look less extreme, but only because it would be a shift closer to the Canadian mentality. 

Anyways, in terms of the Electoral College system, I'm still a believer in proportionally dividing the EC seats won within a State. If 40% of voters in California vote X and 60% vote Y, they should each get the appropriate percentages of the number of EC seats allocated to California. This would preserve the best value of the EC system - which is that there's a floor and a ceiling on each State's voting rights to minimize the disproportionality from varying population sizes to prevent a state wielding too little/too much voting power - while still pivoting to a truly more representative model of running an election.
    That's the case in Maine today, and I believe Nebraska. The electoral votes are able to split by % of vote.  
  • Options
    OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,822
    edited December 2019
    mrussel1 said:
    benjs said:
    dankind said:
    dankind said:
    mrussel1 said:

Extremist? 

The horror!

That's the case in Maine today, and I believe Nebraska. The electoral votes are able to split by % of vote.  
    I don’t think it’s percent of vote...I think it’s by congressional district, with the two Senate votes going to the state overall winner.  If larger states did that, we would see more splits.  Without doing any research or math, my reaction is that every state doing so would be an even bigger GOP advantage.  438 votes would be fairly representative.  The other 100 would look like the Senate.

Imagine if only California did this (or only Texas)...
    Post edited by OnWis97 on
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Options
    OnWis97 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    benjs said:
    dankind said:
    dankind said:
    mrussel1 said:

Extremist? 

The horror!

I don’t think it’s percent of vote...I think it’s by congressional district, with the two Senate votes going to the state overall winner.  If larger states did that, we would see more splits.  Without doing any research or math, my reaction is that every state doing so would be an even bigger GOP advantage.  438 votes would be fairly representative.  The other 100 would look like the Senate.

Imagine if only California did this (or only Texas)...
    Yes you're right, congressional districts.  One would think it would be net positive for Dems becuse they would gain the urban votes in cities where they receive zero today (like TX) even if that means giving up the rural votes in blue states.  I guess you could argue it would mimic the House.  
This discussion has been closed.