• OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,814
    mrussel1 said:
    OnWis97 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    benjs said:
    dankind said:
    dankind said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Please... calling it a failure because it's under stress is total hyperbole.  It's the longest running Constitution.  That's hardly a failure.  
    no it's not hyperbole at all. it just hasn't been tested all these years. now it is, and it is showing GLARING problems with accountability. trump is showing single handedly that any one man who has power can fucking do whatever he wants. especially if he holds both chambers. and scotus. jesus, it's frightening how easy it seems to corrupt the longest running constitution. 
    This is a great post, Hugh.  To me this is the problem.  Trump is doing and saying (so many lies) whatever he wants and not only is he not being held accountable but he many times is doubling down on his lies and then blaming/accusing others.
    I hear you both on this, but let's not forget the final check and balance.  The election.  I don't believe it is fair to say that the system is inadequate yet.  I think the system is working as it's laid out...sure there are some oddities.  And sure, it's likely trump is impeached but not convicted.  But this becomes the #1 election issue.  And we will see what the will of the people is and what they are willing to put up with.  

The reality is with all this stuff you are seeing, the single biggest risk to the system and the single biggest reason we get what we get is because people DO NOT VOTE.  If everyone went to vote, we'd be in a much different position then we are today.  Pandering to the extremes wouldn't be happening on the same scale.

If they’re not voting they probably don’t believe government is the solution. But I am concerned the democrats base response to trump was for extremist policies.
    Extremist? 

You mean like Canada, UK, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, Mexico, Switzerland, Costa Rica, Norway, New Zealand, Sweden, etc., etc., etc.

The horror!

I'll ignore all of the talking points we've been spoonfed over the years about demographics, land mass, etc. They aren't reasons; they are excuses.

How many electoral votes are there in Canada, UK, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, Mexico, Switzerland, Costa Rica, Norway, New Zealand, Sweden?

Let me know if that gets us to 270. We can then have a giant AMT party celebrating Trumps defeat. Thanks!
    Considering that we’re the only developed country to exploit an electoral college system in the selection of its figurehead, perhaps, on a global scale, that could be considered extremist.

But what you dub extremist is basically just candidates who believe that their country needs to at least attempt to catch up with the rest of the free world when it comes to taking care of its own citizens.

One could argue that only an extremist would view such policies as extremist. 

I mean, as far as I know, historically, the number of people in the US who have resorted to violence because they want access to better education and healthcare is zero—granted, I might be missing a handful—but the number of people in the US who have resorted to violence to block access to education and healthcare is, well, kind of extreme. 

I won’t waste anymore my of time or mindshare here. But one could go on and make that argument. 
    It's all about where you're looking from. Inside the US today, many of the notions being discussed are extreme and radical because what's being experienced today doesn't look/feel anything like them. From outside the US (at least from a Canadian's perspective), the US itself looks extreme already, and the positional shifts being discussed would make the US look less extreme, but only because it would be a shift closer to the Canadian mentality. 

Anyways, in terms of the Electoral College system, I'm still a believer in proportionally dividing the EC seats won within a State. If 40% of voters in California vote X and 60% vote Y, they should each get the appropriate percentages of the number of EC seats allocated to California. This would preserve the best value of the EC system - which is that there's a floor and a ceiling on each State's voting rights to minimize the disproportionality from varying population sizes to prevent a state wielding too little/too much voting power - while still pivoting to a truly more representative model of running an election.
    That's the case in Maine today, and I believe Nebraska. The electoral votes are able to split by % of vote.  
    I don’t think it’s percent of vote...I think it’s by congressional district, with the two Senate votes going to the state overall winner.  If larger states did that, we would see more splits.  Without doing any research or math, my reaction is that every state doing so would be an even bigger GOP advantage.  438 votes would be fairly representative.  The other 100 would look like the Senate.

Imagine if only California did this (or only Texas)...
    Yes you're right, congressional districts.  One would think it would be net positive for Dems becuse they would gain the urban votes in cities where they receive zero today (like TX) even if that means giving up the rural votes in blue states.  I guess you could argue it would mimic the House.  
    Imagine the effort being put into gerrymandering...
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    edited December 2019
    benjs said:
    dankind said:
    dankind said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Please... calling it a failure because it's under stress is total hyperbole.  It's the longest running Constitution.  That's hardly a failure.  
    no it's not hyperbole at all. it just hasn't been tested all these years. now it is, and it is showing GLARING problems with accountability. trump is showing single handedly that any one man who has power can fucking do whatever he wants. especially if he holds both chambers. and scotus. jesus, it's frightening how easy it seems to corrupt the longest running constitution. 
    This is a great post, Hugh.  To me this is the problem.  Trump is doing and saying (so many lies) whatever he wants and not only is he not being held accountable but he many times is doubling down on his lies and then blaming/accusing others.
    I hear you both on this, but let's not forget the final check and balance.  The election.  I don't believe it is fair to say that the system is inadequate yet.  I think the system is working as it's laid out...sure there are some oddities.  And sure, it's likely trump is impeached but not convicted.  But this becomes the #1 election issue.  And we will see what the will of the people is and what they are willing to put up with.  

The reality is with all this stuff you are seeing, the single biggest risk to the system and the single biggest reason we get what we get is because people DO NOT VOTE.  If everyone went to vote, we'd be in a much different position then we are today.  Pandering to the extremes wouldn't be happening on the same scale.

If they’re not voting they probably don’t believe government is the solution. But I am concerned the democrats base response to trump was for extremist policies.
    Extremist? 

You mean like Canada, UK, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, Mexico, Switzerland, Costa Rica, Norway, New Zealand, Sweden, etc., etc., etc.

The horror!

I'll ignore all of the talking points we've been spoonfed over the years about demographics, land mass, etc. They aren't reasons; they are excuses.

How many electoral votes are there in Canada, UK, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, Mexico, Switzerland, Costa Rica, Norway, New Zealand, Sweden?

Let me know if that gets us to 270. We can then have a giant AMT party celebrating Trumps defeat. Thanks!
    Considering that we’re the only developed country to exploit an electoral college system in the selection of its figurehead, perhaps, on a global scale, that could be considered extremist.

But what you dub extremist is basically just candidates who believe that their country needs to at least attempt to catch up with the rest of the free world when it comes to taking care of its own citizens.

One could argue that only an extremist would view such policies as extremist. 

I mean, as far as I know, historically, the number of people in the US who have resorted to violence because they want access to better education and healthcare is zero—granted, I might be missing a handful—but the number of people in the US who have resorted to violence to block access to education and healthcare is, well, kind of extreme. 

I won’t waste anymore my of time or mindshare here. But one could go on and make that argument. 
    It's all about where you're looking from. Inside the US today, many of the notions being discussed are extreme and radical because what's being experienced today doesn't look/feel anything like them. From outside the US (at least from a Canadian's perspective), the US itself looks extreme already, and the positional shifts being discussed would make the US look less extreme, but only because it would be a shift closer to the Canadian mentality. 

Anyways, in terms of the Electoral College system, I'm still a believer in proportionally dividing the EC seats won within a State. If 40% of voters in California vote X and 60% vote Y, they should each get the appropriate percentages of the number of EC seats allocated to California. This would preserve the best value of the EC system - which is that there's a floor and a ceiling on each State's voting rights to minimize the disproportionality from varying population sizes to prevent a state wielding too little/too much voting power - while still pivoting to a truly more representative model of running an election.
    I’m a U.S. citizen (by birth, not choice). I’ve lived in the U.S. my entire life—and in many different states, at that (East Coast, West Coast, Deep South, straight up the middle). So I’m looking from the inside (all over the inside), and it still is, and always has been, fucked. If the average U.S. citizen’s focus were more global and less isolationist, our glaring shortcomings would become all too clear. But fat fucking chance of that ever happening.

A return to normalcy, as many in the States want, is unacceptable to me. Our status quo of pushing on a string or, worse, taking two steps backward for every step forward should have our citizens responding in a similar vein to Chile’s or Hong Kong’s brave citizens, but, again, fat fucking chance of that ever happening. 
    Post edited by dankind on
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,524
    Wasn't  sure which thread to put this in.
    This thread
    The abortion thread 
    Or the idiots thread

• mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,603
    Wasn't  sure which thread to put this in.
    This thread
    The abortion thread 
    Or the idiots thread

We do need to stop babies from being born at nine months.  It's a travesty. 
    edited December 2019
    And another I'm  not sure where it goes....

This thread
    Idiot thread
    ted cruz thread

• dignindignin Posts: 9,303

• mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,429
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • ikiTikiT USA Posts: 11,007
    YO...this is a travesty.  At 11pm ET last night FOX NEWS showed Fox Nation All American Christmas at Fox Square

The promo had a snip of Ainsley's Bible Study where Ainsley spoke to the importance of prayer and "Christ" with Sean effking Hannity in a two chair interview.  HILARIOUS.

They make those idiots pay for that shit.  Use the code CELEBRATE at checkout.

Bristow 05132010 to Amsterdam 2 06132018
  • ikiTikiT USA Posts: 11,007
    Ted Cruz likes power.
    Bristow 05132010 to Amsterdam 2 06132018
    ikiT said:
    YO...this is a travesty.  At 11pm ET last night FOX NEWS showed Fox Nation All American Christmas at Fox Square

The promo had a snip of Ainsley's Bible Study where Ainsley spoke to the importance of prayer and "Christ" with Sean effking Hannity in a two chair interview.  HILARIOUS.

These so-called "patriotic americans" don't  give 2 shits about the constitution when it comes to separation of church and state. 
  • ikiT said:

These so-called "patriotic americans" don't  give 2 shits about the constitution when it comes to separation of church and state. 
    But they do care about fair and balanced threesomes.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
    ikiT said:

But they do care about fair and balanced threesomes.
    I'd like for you to describe in detail, the anatomy of a fair and balanced threesome.  Please start the post with "Dear Penthouse Forum... I never thought this would happen to me...."
    @Kat was this an "all ages forum" edit?
  • dignin said:

This guy has to be the most photoshopped person ever. Sure some of them are funny. But jeez, imagine being the person sitting at their computer with a picture of Donald Trump opened so they can edit his face onto a guy on toilet. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
    dignin said:

This guy has to be the most photoshopped person ever. Sure some of them are funny. But jeez, imagine being the person sitting at their computer with a picture of Donald Trump opened so they can edit his face onto a guy on toilet. 
    True American hero.
  • dignin said:
    dignin said:

True American hero.
    Who? Trump, the toilet, or the creator of the meme?
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    dignin said:
    dignin said:

True American hero.
    I guess it depends on your perspective. I really can't say if what the toilet is doing is heroic or not.
    dignin said:
    dignin said:
    dignin said:

True American hero.
    I guess it depends on your perspective. I really can't say if what the toilet is doing is heroic or not.
    The toilet is the hero due to being flushed 10-15 times multiple times a day
  • dignin said:
    dignin said:
    dignin said:

True American hero.
    Oh God. I forgot all about this already. I mean, I'd say it's one of his stupidest quotes, but ya know.....

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    dignin said:
    dignin said:
    dignin said:

True American hero.
    Oh God. I forgot all about this already. I mean, I'd say it's one of his stupidest quotes, but ya know.....
    It seems crystal clear that some company/donor complained about some regulatory rule.  Idiocy. 
  • mrussel1 said:
    dignin said:
    dignin said:
    dignin said:

True American hero.
    It seems crystal clear that some company/donor complained about some regulatory rule.  Idiocy. 
    Yeah probably. Or he clogged the toilet in the Lincoln bedroom with fast-food induced diarrhea, Melania complained, and so now the COUNTRY has a toilet problem, not just him. I know that sounds ridiculous, but ya know....

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    mrussel1 said:
    dignin said:
    dignin said:
    dignin said:

True American hero.
    Yeah probably. Or he clogged the toilet in the Lincoln bedroom with fast-food induced diarrhea, Melania complained, and so now the COUNTRY has a toilet problem, not just him. I know that sounds ridiculous, but ya know....
    The more ridiculous it is, the more likely to be true.  It's almost like Occam's razor exists in reverse with this admin. 
  • Hi!Hi! Posts: 3,095
    dignin said:

Should of been a gold toilet.

Detroit 2000, Detroit 2003 1-2, Grand Rapids VFC 2004, Philly 2005, Grand Rapids 2006, Detroit 2006, Cleveland 2006, Lollapalooza 2007, Detroit Eddie Solo 2011, Detroit 2014, Chicago 2016 1-2, Chicago 2018 1-2, Ohana Encore 2021 1-2, Chicago Eddie/Earthlings 2022 1-2, Nashville 2022, St. Louis 2022

dignin said:
    dignin said:
    dignin said:

True American hero.
    Stupider then the quote about mothers giving birth in the 9th month of pregnancy?
    dignin said:
    dignin said:
    dignin said:

True American hero.
    Stupider then the quote about mothers giving birth in the 9th month of pregnancy?
    "one of..."  There's plenty from which to choose.  
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258
    The toilet babble is by far thee most assnine thing any president in our history has said ! Guys with straight jackets should of just rushed in and taken him out to pasture! What a loon who here voted for him raise your hand don’t be ashamed lol 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,141

chinese-happy.jpg
  • KatKat There's a lot to be said for nowhere. Posts: 4,769
    I don't trust polls after 2016 but I sure would like this to be accurate. 

Falling down,...not staying down
    Kat said:
    I don't trust polls after 2016 but I sure would like this to be accurate. 

This one is outside the margin of error.  I think the risk of all of these is that they don't cut it by state.  Swing state polls are literally the only information that matters.  
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,141
    edited December 2019
    I love seeing someone like Kobuchar beating him too. 

Man, I wish she had more of a shot...
    chinese-happy.jpg
This discussion has been closed.