Options

Least Favorite Song Live

Comments

• Options
    Worst song live... I can't say any song they play live is bad. If there was a song I've become bored of live A.K.A - pee break... Betterman, Also, I really couldn't stand when Eddie sang Betterman with the Children's Choir, i'm sorry it was just lame. I really disliked In My Tree during the mid 2000s when they changed it up. Don't change perfection. Now if we're picking their worst song in general, it's Ghost. If there was ever song that should have been a b-side, this is the one. It sounds like it's missing a guitar and the rhythm section is so basic and boring.
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,836

Worst song live... I can't say any song they play live is bad. If there was a song I've become bored of live A.K.A - pee break... Betterman, Also, I really couldn't stand when Eddie sang Betterman with the Children's Choir, i'm sorry it was just lame. I really disliked In My Tree during the mid 2000s when they changed it up. Don't change perfection. Now if we're picking their worst song in general, it's Ghost. If there was ever song that should have been a b-side, this is the one. It sounds like it's missing a guitar and the rhythm section is so basic and boring.

you just hit @dimitrispearljam twice in one post! LOL
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Last kiss
  • Options
    100 Pacer100 Pacer Toronto, ON Posts: 8,554
    For me it's a toss-up between Black & Sirens.
    To quote the 10C from Newsletter #8: "Please understand we have a lot of members and it is very hard to please everybody. If you are one of those unhappy people...please call 1-900-IDN-TCAR."

"Me knowing the truth, I can not concur."

1996: Toronto - 1998: Chicago, Montreal, Barrie - 2000: Montreal, Toronto - 2002: Seattle X2 (Key Arena) - 2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal, Seattle (Benaroya Hall) - 2004: Reading, Toledo, Grand Rapids - 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Quebec City - 2006: Toronto X2, Albany, Hartford, Grand Rapids, Cleveland - 2007: Chicago (Vic Theatre) - 2008: NYC X2, Hartford, Mansfield X2 - 2009: Toronto, Chicago X2, Seattle X2, Philadelphia X4 - 2010: Columbus, Noblesville, Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford - 2011: Montreal, Toronto X2, Ottawa, Hamilton - 2012: Missoula - 2013: London, Chicago, Buffalo, Hartford - 2014: Detroit, Moline - 2015: NYC (Global Citizen Festival) - 2016: Greenville, Toronto X2, Chicago 1 - 2017: Brooklyn (RRHOF Induction) - 2018: Chicago 1, Boston 1 - 2022: Fresno, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto, NYC, Camden - 2023: St. Paul X2, Austin X2 - 2024: Vancouver X2, Portland, Sacramento, Noblesville, Philadelphia X2, Baltimore
  • Options
    rssesqrssesq Fairfield County Posts: 3,299
    Sirens, Lman, Bman, EF, last kiss, jguitar, supersonic
    sorry in advance
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,913

I agree, ghost is pretty bad.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    Am I the only PJ fan that loves Sirens?
    i am lost, i'm no guide, but i'm by your side
    i am right by your side...
  • Options
    ledveddermanledvedderman Posts: 7,755
    It isn't my favorite by any stretch of the imagination, but I don't get the total hatred for it.
  • Options
    PJfanwillneverleave1PJfanwillneverleave1 Posts: 12,885
    edited January 2017
    leebug87 said:

No.
    You are not alone. I may not love Sirens but it is a great song - lots going on musically. It is also a favourite of a poster on here - HesCalledDyer
    Stay strong, you will catch flack for liking this song just the same as admitting you like Backspacer.
    Speak up whenever you like Pearl Jam!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jZBwyG7HPs
    Post edited by PJfanwillneverleave1 on
  • Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,822
    leebug87 said:

Nah my wife loves it. I really didn't care for hearing it live in 2013 but loved every second of it during Fenway night 2.
  • Options
    OceansJennyOceansJenny Manhattan, NY Posts: 3,193
    mcgruff10 said:

Add me to the Ghost non-fan club. Eddie's admiration of Matt C got to the best of him. :wink:

DC '03 - Reading '04 - Philly '05 - Camden 1 '06 - DC '06 - E. Rutherford '06 - The Vic '07 - Lollapalooza '07 - DC '08 - EV DC 1 & 2 '08 (Met Ed!!) - EV Baltimore 1 & 2 '09 - EV NYC 1 '11 (Met Ed!) - Hartford '13 - GCF '15 - MSG 2 '16 - TOTD MSG '16 - Boston 1 & 2 '18 - SHN '21 - EV NYC 1 & 2 '22 - MSG '22
  • Options
    leebug87leebug87 Posts: 92
    edited January 2017

leebug87 said:

No.
    You are not alone. I may not love Sirens but it is a great song - lots going on musically. It is also a favourite of a poster on here - HesCalledDyer
    Stay strong, you will catch flack for liking this song just the same as admitting you like Backspacer.
    I like Backspacer too, ha guess I'm doomed. I'm kind of easy to please though, there's not a lot these guys do that I don't like
    i am lost, i'm no guide, but i'm by your side
    i am right by your side...
  • Options
    100 Pacer said:

I love black live everytime
  • Options

mcgruff10 said:

Add me to the Ghost non-fan club. Eddie's admiration of Matt C got to the best of him. :wink:

I think ghost is a Jeff song
    looking to hear of the earth
  • Options
    LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 29,010
    The Fixer
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • Options
    pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,721
    blockquote class="Quote" rel="leebug87">Am I the only PJ fan that loves Sirens?

not at all

love the song, especially live
  • Options
    pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,721
    cc294283 said:

rummy said:

Just adding to the discussion (no ill will intended) but there are songs out there that I think every Pearl Jam fan should like hearing at a concert. I get the fact that some (many?) of us are a bit tired of "war horses" like Better Man, Even Flow, Corduroy, or Alive (or at least how or when they are performed). There are also polarizing songs like Evacuation, Pilate, Big Wave, and Just Breathe that might not be as in the same realm as the rest of the band's catalog. However, songs like Release, Indifference, Immortality, Present Tense, In My Tree, Long Road, I Got I'd, and In Hiding should be welcomed by all in attendance.

Again, just adding to discussion and not trying to attack. I just feel songs like the ones I just listed are the ones for the "serious" fan who can still distinguish between the great stuff as and the filler.

Agree. All covers should go away. Play more PJ at PJ shows
    I really hope comfortably numb never goes away as a cover.......i havent caught that one live yet but ive heard each bootleg version and it blows me away every time.

Mother is another in that category
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,248

100 Pacer said:

I love black live everytime
    Agreed. Mike's guitar solo is unreal at the end. So much emotion in that song.That's also what I love about Immortality and All or None. An extended guitar solo on those that hits you deep.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,420
    leebug87 said:

leebug87 said:

No.
    I like Backspacer too, ha guess I'm doomed. I'm kind of easy to please though, there's not a lot these guys do that I don't like
    Backspacer = :rock_on:
    Sirens = :anguished: (damn you, Pjfan! :tongue: )
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,913
    pdalowsky said:

blockquote class="Quote" rel="leebug87">Am I the only PJ fan that loves Sirens?

not at all

love the song, especially live

Ya know I hated sirens at first but have really started enjoying it live. Plus my wife absolutely loves it.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    TWHoltTWHolt Moncton, NB Posts: 401
    Last Kiss. No thanks

On another note, I'm a fan of Sirens. Not the strongest lyrics in their catalogue but they still speak to me. Maybe having a 3 year old daughter drives home the idea of the fragility of life...i don't know. I've only heard it live twice but the last time I heard in it in Ottawa the outro was amazing. Eddie's voice soared. I get why it is listed in this thread many times and maybe after hearing it 10 times live, my feeling about it would change too.
    |Montreal 03|Halifax 05|St. John's 1 05|St. John's 2 05|Toronto 1 06|Toronto 2 06|NYC 1 08|NYC 2 08|Toronto 09|Hartford 10|Boston 10|Newark 10|NYC 1 10|NYC 2 10|Alpine Valley 1 11|Alpine Valley 2 11|Montreal 11|Hartford 13|Ottawa 16|Chicago 1 16|Chicago 2 16|Boston 1 18|Quebec City 22|Ottawa 22|Next~Boston 1 24|Next~Boston 2 24|
  • Options
    OceansJennyOceansJenny Manhattan, NY Posts: 3,193

mcgruff10 said:

You're right! I stand corrected, I went off memory. You Are was Matt's song.

Soap making you taller was Jeff's lyric?? :anguished:

DC '03 - Reading '04 - Philly '05 - Camden 1 '06 - DC '06 - E. Rutherford '06 - The Vic '07 - Lollapalooza '07 - DC '08 - EV DC 1 & 2 '08 (Met Ed!!) - EV Baltimore 1 & 2 '09 - EV NYC 1 '11 (Met Ed!) - Hartford '13 - GCF '15 - MSG 2 '16 - TOTD MSG '16 - Boston 1 & 2 '18 - SHN '21 - EV NYC 1 & 2 '22 - MSG '22
  • Options
    PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,304
    rssesq said:

Lman... Sorry in advance

Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1&2 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • Options
    vaggar99vaggar99 San Diego USA Posts: 3,426
    soon forget....sounds better when played as blue, red, grey.

mcgruff10 said:

You're right! I stand corrected, I went off memory. You Are was Matt's song.

Soap making you taller was Jeff's lyric?? :anguished:

democracy gone awry
  • Options
    The worst song live is Arms Aloft being played as the second song after Release opens the show.
  • Options
    derbydavederbydave Columbus, OH Posts: 11,254
    JB111896 said:

The worst song live is Arms Aloft being played as the second song after Release opens the show.

That one still puzzles me!!!
    '96: Seattle: Key Arena
    '98: Seattle: Memorial Stadium 1 & 2
    '00: Columbus: Polaris
    '03: Columbus: Germain
    '10: Columbus: Nationwide Arena
    '11: East Troy: Alpine Valley - PJ20 1 & 2 + EV Detroit
    '12: Missoula + EV Jacksonville 1 & 2
    '13: Chicago / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / Seattle
    '14: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Memphis / Detroit / Moline
    '15: New York City - Global Citizen Festival
    '16: Greenville / Hampton / Raleigh / Columbia / Lexington / Ottawa / Toronto 1 & 2 / Wrigley 1 & 2
    '17: Brooklyn - Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony
    '18: London 1 & 2 / Seattle 1 & 2 / Missoula / Wrigley 1
    '22: Nashville / St. Louis

http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=170

• Options
    SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,890
    leebug87 said:

I love it too

The newer stuff is actually really good. It's hard to still be so angry and make hard rock anthems when you're happily married with children and millions of dollars. Even without the money I'd think haha.
    severed hand thirteen

2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17
  • Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,516
    edited January 2017
    pdalowsky said:

cc294283 said:

rummy said:

Just adding to the discussion (no ill will intended) but there are songs out there that I think every Pearl Jam fan should like hearing at a concert. I get the fact that some (many?) of us are a bit tired of "war horses" like Better Man, Even Flow, Corduroy, or Alive (or at least how or when they are performed). There are also polarizing songs like Evacuation, Pilate, Big Wave, and Just Breathe that might not be as in the same realm as the rest of the band's catalog. However, songs like Release, Indifference, Immortality, Present Tense, In My Tree, Long Road, I Got I'd, and In Hiding should be welcomed by all in attendance.

Again, just adding to discussion and not trying to attack. I just feel songs like the ones I just listed are the ones for the "serious" fan who can still distinguish between the great stuff as and the filler.

Agree. All covers should go away. Play more PJ at PJ shows
    I really hope comfortably numb never goes away as a cover.......i havent caught that one live yet but ive heard each bootleg version and it blows me away every time.

Mother is another in that category
    +1, especially Mother.
    Post edited by Merkin Baller on
  • Options

leebug87 said:

I love it too

The newer stuff is actually really good. It's hard to still be so angry and make hard rock anthems when you're happily married with children and millions of dollars. Even without the money I'd think haha.
    Haha. Just wait for Eddies response to Trump. It's gonna be fierce. I think/hope.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,248

leebug87 said:

I love it too

Haha. Just wait for Eddies response to Trump. It's gonna be fierce. I think/hope.
    I'm not so sure. I think Eddie and the band have matured and are their new approach is more about charitable causes and positive actions to support change. I think we'll get some of his best writing in a few albums though.
    It's a hopeless situation...