THE DEBATES 2016

Comments

• benjsbenjs Posts: 9,096
    dignin said:

JC29856 said:

4 of 6 early polls have trump winning the debate. How can that be?

Care to reference these polls? I saw the one on Time's website. Was not a scientific poll, I could even vote in it.
    benjs said:

LOL !!!! I didn't watch it because I know who I'm voting for anyway but I did see highlights and comments on the interweb....
    your gal Hillary bot her ass handed to her.

Godfather.

If you didn't watch the debate then do us all a favour and shut up, as you have no right to comment on an event you did not witness (and I mean all disrespect). Those of us who did, witnessed something extraordinarily shocking and pathetic. The fact that you would purposely deny yourself access to seeing a politician's true colours so that you can vote for the politician you've painted in your mind instead of the politician actually running, speaks volumes about your ignorance.
    Amen.
    For what it's worth, FiveThirtyEight today has Clinton's odds down another five points - 55.5% Clinton to 45.5% Trump.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Godfather.Godfather. Posts: 12,504

LOL !!!! I didn't watch it because I know who I'm voting for anyway but I did see highlights and comments on the interweb....

Godfather.

The American (Trump) voter, ladies and gentlemen...
    Yep...."I didn't watch it but my right wing news sources say he handed her her ass"

HAY BENJS !!!!!!!!! Gern didn't watch it either, Gurn according Benjs you have no right to comment on this topic LOL !!!!!!
    HAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHA !!!!!!!!

Godfather.
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,236

benjs said:

Godfather.

If you didn't watch the debate then do us all a favour and shut up, as you have no right to comment on an event you did not witness (and I mean all disrespect). Those of us who did, witnessed something extraordinarily shocking and pathetic. The fact that you would purposely deny yourself access to seeing a politician's true colours so that you can vote for the politician you've painted in your mind instead of the politician actually running, speaks volumes about your ignorance.
    HAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAH ! good grief man was the lose so bad that your anger is getting the best of you ? ......breath, deep in easy out and then hold your tong down with a spoon so you don't swallow it, feel better yet ? one more time just to make sure LOL !!!!!

Godfather.

Why would you even comment on something you didn't see?
    www.cluthelee.com
  • http://thehill.com/blogs/pundits-blog/presidential-campaign/297959-pundits-weigh-in-clinton-won-first-debate
    REPUBLICANS
    Former Rep. John LeBoutillier (R-N.Y.)

Winner: Hillary Clinton

Clinton proved tonight the efficacy of an old axiom: Prior Planning Precludes Poor Performance.

Her detailed debate prep — which included mock debates right up to this morning — paid off big-time. She looked confident, calm and composed, while Trump appeared frantic, nervous and distracted.

She exposed his ignorance on almost all issues; she skewered him on his tax returns. And he never brought up the Clinton Foundation, and never framed the election as a change election.

The look on his face after the debate said it all: He knew he had lost. Meanwhile, Hillary, Bill and Chelsea Clinton looked exuberant while remaining on the stage shaking hands long after Trump exited.

Final Verdict: Clinton won — and Trump lost — big time.

LeBoutillier is a former Republican congressman from New York and is the co-host of "Political Insiders" on Fox News Channel, Sunday nights at 7:30 p.m. Eastern. He writes semi-regular pieces in the Contributors section on the "State of the 2016 Race."
    Yeah I noticed that he didn't bring up the Clinton Foundation....he doesn't want to go there anymore. Hillary will destroy him on the Trump foundation bullshit.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Wrigley; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana

http://thehill.com/blogs/pundits-blog/presidential-campaign/297959-pundits-weigh-in-clinton-won-first-debate

REPUBLICANS
    Former Rep. John LeBoutillier (R-N.Y.)

Winner: Hillary Clinton

Clinton proved tonight the efficacy of an old axiom: Prior Planning Precludes Poor Performance.

Her detailed debate prep — which included mock debates right up to this morning — paid off big-time. She looked confident, calm and composed, while Trump appeared frantic, nervous and distracted.

She exposed his ignorance on almost all issues; she skewered him on his tax returns. And he never brought up the Clinton Foundation, and never framed the election as a change election.

The look on his face after the debate said it all: He knew he had lost. Meanwhile, Hillary, Bill and Chelsea Clinton looked exuberant while remaining on the stage shaking hands long after Trump exited.

Final Verdict: Clinton won — and Trump lost — big time.

LeBoutillier is a former Republican congressman from New York and is the co-host of "Political Insiders" on Fox News Channel, Sunday nights at 7:30 p.m. Eastern. He writes semi-regular pieces in the Contributors section on the "State of the 2016 Race."
    Yeah I noticed that he didn't bring up the Clinton Foundation....he doesn't want to go there anymore. Hillary will destroy him on the Trump foundation bullshit.

Agreed. I thought the first 10 minutes we might see the 'scripted/teleprompter Trump'. It was like watching ice melt on a hot day not long after that. I wonder if he knew viewers could see his reactions (not to mention his idiotic arena sized voice) on the split screen? First debates set the tone and there's no way in hell he pulled any undecided voters over last night.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Godfather.Godfather. Posts: 12,504

benjs said:

Godfather.

HAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAH ! good grief man was the lose so bad that your anger is getting the best of you ? ......breath, deep in easy out and then hold your tong down with a spoon so you don't swallow it, feel better yet ? one more time just to make sure LOL !!!!!

Godfather.

there are few folks on here that didn't see it but still had something to say so what's your point ?

Godfather.

benjs said:

Godfather.

Godfather.

there are few folks on here that didn't see it but still had something to say so what's your point ?

Godfather.

Oh, well then that comment goes out to all of them as well. My point is much like Trump, you and the others who didn't see the debate jump to conclusions without facts.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Posts: 19,375
    edited September 2016
    http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/clinton-won-the-debate-which-means-shes-likely-to-gain-in-the-polls/
    Start with a CNN poll of debate-watchers, which showed that 62 percent of voters thought Clinton won the debate compared to 27 percent for Trump — a 35-point margin. That’s the third-widest margin ever in a CNN or Gallup post-debate poll, which date back to 1984. The only more lopsided outcomes were the 1992 town hall debate between Bill Clinton, George H.W. Bush and Ross Perot — widely seen as a maestro performance by Clinton — and the first debate between Barack Obama and Mitt Romney in 2012, when the CNN poll showed a 42-point win for Romney and the horse-race polls moved in his favor in the following days.
    Hey GF....these people actually WATCHED the debate

2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,465

benjs said:

Godfather.

Godfather.

such a predictable response.
    new album "Cigarettes" out Fall 2024!

www.headstonesband.com

• benjs said:

Godfather.

Godfather.

I hate it when my tong is up and I have to hold it down. I've never used a spoon to do this before so I'll have to try it sometime. Stupid tong... always up when I just want it down.

(The lose was bad last night. There's been some bad loses before, but this lose was infuriating)
    "My brain's a good brain!"

benjs said:

Godfather.

Godfather.

Godfather.

the point is most of us do research, not just look at biased "news" sites and cherry pick what we want to hear.

www.headstonesband.com

• JC29856JC29856 Posts: 9,617
    PJ_Soul said:

JC29856 said:

PJ_Soul said:

Trump: "We're in a big fat ugly bubble."

Hmm. Is this so? I have never heard anyone say that of late. I am not opposing it, I am just not sure what he's basing that on. If true, I'd like to know why.

Interest rates low for long time. See Quant Easing 1 2 and 3.
    Quantitative easing? (Yes, I looked it up)... what exactly makes you think that equates to being in a bubble?
    Artificially low interest rates are doing what for our economy, nothing. Historically low interest rates seen an increases in consumer spending and an increase in output of goods and services. That's not happening. What we are seeing is a stock recovery not an economic recovery. Zero interests rates allow companies to cheaply buy back their own stock which artificially inflates stock prices. At the same time QE buys underperforming or junk financial assets while introducing more money into the economy. Has anyone seen a simulated economy? You would think that low interest rates and more money would increase inflation, nope, no inflation either. Doesn't add up. Sounds like a bubble to me.
    Avg Joe's won't put their investments in CDs bonds or savings accounts bec of the zero interest so they put them in stocks. Again market manipulation.

Consumers are paying off debt, paying for education, and medical costs without much discretionary income left over for anything else. Has QE, zero interest worked? Is economic fundamentals at work?
  • http://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2016/9/26/13067798/trump-clinton-first-debate
    Trump’s riffs were dotted by baldfaced lies of the kind the press will easily check, but, more consequentially, he spoke in a barely coherent stream of consciousness. Consider his answer when Holt asked him to defend his proposal to cut taxes on the rich. It’s worth quoting in full:

They are going to expand their companies and do a tremendous job. I'm getting rid of the great thing for the wealthy, it's a great thing for the middle class and for companies to expand and when these people are going to put billions and billions of dollars into companies and when they are going to bring $2.5 trillion back from overseas where they can't bring the money back because politicians like Secretary Clinton won't allow them to bring the money back because the taxes are so onerous and the bureaucratic red tape, it's so bad.

So what they are doing is leaving our country and, believe it or not, they are leaving because taxes are too high and because some of them have lots of money outside of our country and instead of bringing it back and putting the money to work because they can't work out a deal and everybody agrees it should be brought back, instead of that, they are leaving our country to get their money because they can't bring their money back into our country because of bureaucratic red tape, because they can't get together. Because we have a president that can't sit them around a table and get them to approve something, and here's the thing, Republicans and Democrats agree that this should be done. $2.5 trillion.

I happen to think it's double that. It's probably $5 trillion that we can't bring into our country, Lester, and with a little leadership, you'd get it in here very quickly and it could be put to use on the inner cities and lots of other things, and it would be beautiful. But we have no leadership. And honestly, that starts with Secretary Clinton.

There is virtually nothing in this answer that makes any sense.

First, it doesn’t address the original question. Trump has proposed a massive cut in income taxes for the richest Americans. His answer, as best I can parse it, is related to overseas corporate earnings. He seems to be blaming Hillary Clinton for tax rates on overseas corporate income, which is ... a strange thing to blame Clinton for.

But it’s hard to assess what he’s saying, exactly, because his answer is a half-informed ramble from someone who apparently didn’t listen to the original question.

• pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,412
    nothing surprising in the debate. both were what i expected. Trump in the spin room might have been the worst thing he did though. that interview portion did not go well. and not to bring their spouses into it but in the spin room Melania looked like she wanted to be anywhere but there at that moment. she looked miserable.
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Posts: 19,375
    edited September 2016

Godfather.

Yep...."I didn't watch it but my right wing news sources say he handed her her ass"

HAY BENJS !!!!!!!!! Gern didn't watch it either, Gurn according Benjs you have no right to comment on this topic LOL !!!!!!

Godfather.
    Uh....I watched the whole thing bud. I watched solid from about 8pm to midnight

I was mocking your ridiculous comment

• FreeFree Posts: 3,562
    fife said:

Free said:

fife said:

I don't think tonight changes anything. Status quo.

Can you tell me why you think this? Is because the public doesn't care what happen or do you think
    How many people do you know are split between Trump and Hillary?
    Not many but I know that there are people in the usa who still have not made their minds. Would you not agree?
    It's a pretty divided election. Most people I know who are undecided are undecided about 3rd party and whether to bother voting. If there's anyone out there undecided between a Clinton vote vs a Trump vote, please stand up.

Godfather.

Godfather.
    Uh....I watched the whole thing bud. I watched solid from about 8pm to midnight

I was mocking your ridiculous comment
    yeah, that was painfully obvious.

www.headstonesband.com

I watched the first half before falling asleep. Lester Holt for god's sake? Really? Hillary sat there with that smug smile as if the over-confidence righteously deserves to laugh at Trump which she did often. Trump wasn't as laughable as usual.
  • Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,941
    Free said:

fife said:

Free said:

fife said:

I don't think tonight changes anything. Status quo.

Can you tell me why you think this? Is because the public doesn't care what happen or do you think
    How many people do you know are split between Trump and Hillary?
    Not many but I know that there are people in the usa who still have not made their minds. Would you not agree?
    It's a pretty divided election. Most people I know who are undecided are undecided about 3rd party and whether to bother voting. If there's anyone out there undecided between a Clinton vote vs a Trump vote, please stand up.
    There's still about 4 or 5% who still aren't deciding on any of the four candidates in the polls.

• Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    :smiley:
    what happens if it's too close to call again? supreme court? or did they put measures in place so that wouldn't happen again?

www.headstonesband.com

• lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087

benjs said:

Godfather.

Godfather.

Godfather.

I saw 10 minutes of it, am I allowed to comment, good to see the forum police are active. My comment, that's 10 minutes of my life I'll never get back, all I saw was a clown to the left and a joker to the right ... what a fucking joke politics are these days...
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • lukin2006 said:

benjs said:

Godfather.

Godfather.

Godfather.

I saw 10 minutes of it, am I allowed to comment, good to see the forum police are active. My comment, that's 10 minutes of my life I'll never get back, all I saw was a clown to the left and a joker to the right ... what a fucking joke politics are these days...
    It's like the election has turned into one of those "vote off the island" shows. This is for one of the most (if not, THE most) importants jobs in the world, and we've made a complete mockery of it. Definitely doesn't take watching the debate to see that.
  • dignindignin Posts: 9,331
    benjs said:

dignin said:

JC29856 said:

4 of 6 early polls have trump winning the debate. How can that be?

Care to reference these polls? I saw the one on Time's website. Was not a scientific poll, I could even vote in it.
    benjs said:

Godfather.

Amen.
    For what it's worth, FiveThirtyEight today has Clinton's odds down another five points - 55.5% Clinton to 45.5% Trump.
    That's actually up from earlier yesterday, which had them close to 50/50.

I'm talking about the unscientific polls done on who won the debate after the debate. Not general election polls.
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    i think trump "won" the debate ... really, the only losers here were the American People ...

last night was supposed to be all about how much of a catastrophe he was gonna be ... there was nothing in that debate that is going to make him lose votes and that to me is a big "win" for him ... honestly, his position on trade deals was pretty good ... then he got rick rolled into topics that have no relevance and fell off the rails ... still - he probably gained some GOP votes today from republicans that were afraid of his lunacy ...
  • hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524
    I'm guessing that the win/lose thing is subjective, as are most things whether or not political.

No fucking idea who I'll be voting for at this point. And that is sad.
    lukin2006 said:

benjs said:

Godfather.

Godfather.

Godfather.

...Here I am stuck in the middle with you. :)
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,554
    lukin2006 said:

benjs said:

Godfather.

Godfather.

Godfather.

The ultimate political embarrassment. Clown Nation is what we've become. I'm not buying into it.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.