Options

pipe bomb explodes at military race in new jersey and now a bomb explodes in nyc

Comments

• Options

mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

are we still thinking this attack was by an ex boyfriend?

I don't understand how people can be so brainwashed or whatever to not 99% know right away this was a terrorist act by someone of middle eastern descent. That doesn't mean that you think all middle eastern people are terrorist if you think that. It just means you are being realistic and not looking on with politically correct blinders.
    What's more brainwashed, assuming you know the motive and that there was terrorist influence involved, or holding judgment until there's more information? You're following a narrative that you're being fed. It doesn't have anything to do with political correctness. When a white guy sets off a pipe bomb, what's your reaction?
    when's the last time a white guy set off a pipe bomb? atlanta olympics 96?
    Dylan roof, Robert Doggart,Robert Lewis Dear, the Hutaree Christian militia
    No.

It's easy to identify extreme Islamic bombings of public places as terrorism (no battle field just soft targets) and attribute the acts as religiously motivated (because they tell us they are religiously motivated- usually right in the moment).

If black churchgoers are routinely targeted and a pattern is clearly established... we can call such a scenario as terrorism or even war for that matter. But a 'one off' makes it look no different than Holmes or Lanza- and nobody called those acts terrorism either without being labelled 'selective' for their use of the word.

But what are we arguing about here? What's with the deflection tactics and the defensive posturing? Brainwashed Islamic shitheads are wreaking havoc in countries where there numbers are significant... and in countries where their populace is in the minority... they lurk in the dark- plotting against the enemy of their book. Are people denying this?

Yes. The majority of Muslim people are peaceful. Good for them. Way to not be violent. However, there is a legitimate faction that is insistent on extreme violence and it's not going away. The challenge in dealing with these people while trying to be respectful for other people of the same faith is daunting. I have no answers, but I'm not in denial either: extreme Islam is a problem. And not just for Christians, Buddhists and atheists... but for Muslims too.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,914
    Nicely put thirty. You should use that in class tomorrow.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

You know what's a bigger threat to this country than terrorists? Heroin and opioids, yet how often do we talk about them. How many of us know someone impacted by pills or heroin? How many of us know someone impacted by terrorism?

Stop being a bunch of pansies afraid of dark people

While 9/11 did indeed impact a whole lot of people, since then, more Americans are killed by kitchen appliances every year than they are by terrorist attacks.
    Then how can you so easily dismiss gun lovers when they present to you the 'death by cars' argument when downplaying the national gun threat? You've just employed the same tactic to suit your needs.
  • Options
    Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,664

mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

I don't understand how people can be so brainwashed or whatever to not 99% know right away this was a terrorist act by someone of middle eastern descent. That doesn't mean that you think all middle eastern people are terrorist if you think that. It just means you are being realistic and not looking on with politically correct blinders.
    What's more brainwashed, assuming you know the motive and that there was terrorist influence involved, or holding judgment until there's more information? You're following a narrative that you're being fed. It doesn't have anything to do with political correctness. When a white guy sets off a pipe bomb, what's your reaction?
    No.

It's easy to identify extreme Islamic bombings of public places as terrorism (no battle field just soft targets) and attribute the acts as religiously motivated (because they tell us they are religiously motivated- usually right in the moment).

If black churchgoers are routinely targeted and a pattern is clearly established... we can call such a scenario as terrorism or even war for that matter. But a 'one off' makes it look no different than Holmes or Lanza- and nobody called those acts terrorism either without being labelled 'selective' for their use of the word.

But what are we arguing about here? What's with the deflection tactics and the defensive posturing? Brainwashed Islamic shitheads are wreaking havoc in countries where there numbers are significant... and in countries where their populace is in the minority... they lurk in the dark- plotting against the enemy of their book. Are people denying this?

Yes. The majority of Muslim people are peaceful. Good for them. Way to not be violent. However, there is a legitimate faction that is insistent on extreme violence and it's not going away. The challenge in dealing with these people while trying to be respectful for other people of the same faith is daunting. I have no answers, but I'm not in denial either: extreme Islam is a problem. And not just for Christians, Buddhists and atheists... but for Muslims too.
    I'll say fundamentalist thought is the problem, and it manifests in varying religions. That's the common denominator in all terrorism, not a particular religion. We go down the wrong path when the first thing we try to find out is what religion the terrorist is.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,612
    edited September 2016

PJ_Soul said:

You know what's a bigger threat to this country than terrorists? Heroin and opioids, yet how often do we talk about them. How many of us know someone impacted by pills or heroin? How many of us know someone impacted by terrorism?

While 9/11 did indeed impact a whole lot of people, since then, more Americans are killed by kitchen appliances every year than they are by terrorist attacks.
    Then how can you so easily dismiss gun lovers when they present to you the 'death by cars' argument when downplaying the national gun threat? You've just employed the same tactic to suit your needs.
    Sorry, that makes no sense. You're not talking about the same argument at all.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

No disrespect but how stubborn are you in real life? Lol
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    mcgruff10 said:

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

I actually do find that offensive and disrespectful.

I am not being stubborn. What he said doesn't work. Those aren't the same arguments. Not comparable because one is about a ton of deaths and what kills you while one is about how justified people's fears are.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    PJ_Soul said:

mcgruff10 said:

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

I am not being stubborn. What he said doesn't work. Those aren't the same arguments. Not comparable because one is about a ton of deaths and what kills you while one is about how justified people's fears are.
    so comparing deaths between kitchen appliances and terrorists is ok but deaths by guns and cars is not ok? right.

I think you'd have a completely different opinion about terrorism and fear from it if you lived in the north east since this impacts us on a daily basis.
    Post edited by mcgruff10 on
  • Options
    unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    Theyку

PJ_Soul said:

You might be coming around, albeit slowly.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

Seriously?

I'm not going to try and explain it to you. I already framed it as simply as it could be.

Belittle it all you want... but it makes perfect sense.
  • Options

mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

No.

I'll say fundamentalist thought is the problem, and it manifests in varying religions. That's the common denominator in all terrorism, not a particular religion. We go down the wrong path when the first thing we try to find out is what religion the terrorist is.
    I'm really struggling to know what it is you are trying to say.

Are you suggesting that we ignore all background variables and focus strictly on the events that befall us? In other words... treat every pressure cooker or pipe bomb as a unique and singular event and ignore the growing mountain of work that seems to have defined a clear cut opponent?
  • Options
    unsung said:

Theyку

PJ_Soul said:

You might be coming around, albeit slowly.
    Lol.

Just calling them as I see them!
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:

PJ_Soul said:

mcgruff10 said:

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

so comparing deaths between kitchen appliances and terrorists is ok but deaths by guns and cars is not ok? right.

I think you'd have a completely different opinion about terrorism and fear from it if you lived in the north east since this impacts us on a daily basis.
    No. Okay, so it's like this:

One argument is about how guns shouldn't be further regulated even though tons of death and violence are linked to guns because more people die in car accidents, while cars are more regulated, and also serve a practical purpose that outweighs the risks.

The other argument is that people are overly fearful of terrorists given that more people die of even kitchen appliance accidents than they do of terrorist attacks.

Sorry, if you think someone mist agree with both arguments or disagree with both arguments, that is your guys' problem, not mine, because that makes no sense.
  • Options
    PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499

mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

No.

So are there fundamentally non-violent religions and fundamentally violent religions? What would a fundamentally non-violent religion be and vise versa? People skew all kinds of stuff when it comes to religion to meet agendas or a number of things, but some may actually be fundamentally violent.
  • Options

mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

No.

Great points all around ...
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,664

mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

No.

Are you suggesting that we ignore all background variables and focus strictly on the events that befall us? In other words... treat every pressure cooker or pipe bomb as a unique and singular event and ignore the growing mountain of work that seems to have defined a clear cut opponent?
    You're mixing public response vs. criminal investigation. I don't think Homeland Security has over a billion suspects on their list, and neither should the public. Again, the threat is fundamentalist thinking, but people want to grasp on to an enemy based on the path of ignorance, so now "Muslim Extremists" are the enemy. The thing is, people don't really know what that is, and many think nearly all Muslims are extremists. So therefore, the Muslim religion has now become a problem, so people want to combat a religion, and not the reasons that lead someone who adopts fundamentalist thinking to commit violence. Leaders will then take advantage of this and adopt it to their platform to manipulate people into voting for them (e.g. Trump). I don't want a president that will give direction to the military, CIA, FBI, and homeland security that comes from a place of ignorance.
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123

mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

No.

You're mixing public response vs. criminal investigation. I don't think Homeland Security has over a billion suspects on their list, and neither should the public. Again, the threat is fundamentalist thinking, but people want to grasp on to an enemy based on the path of ignorance, so now "Muslim Extremists" are the enemy. The thing is, people don't really know what that is, and many think nearly all Muslims are extremists. So therefore, the Muslim religion has now become a problem, so people want to combat a religion, and not the reasons that lead someone who adopts fundamentalist thinking to commit violence. Leaders will then take advantage of this and adopt it to their platform to manipulate people into voting for them (e.g. Trump). I don't want a president that will give direction to the military, CIA, FBI, and homeland security that comes from a place of ignorance.
    How hard did you have your fingers crossed that dumb white Christians were behind this?

But they were not. And if they were you would shout down from the heavens denouncing them and admonishing them. And I would as well! The last thing I would do would be to deflect the current obvious problem.
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

dylan roof was a murderer, white supremacist and neo nazi.
    bob doggart didn't kill anyone
    rober lewis dear was legit crazy: The judge ordered a mental competency evaluation to assess whether Dear is sufficiently competent to exercise his right to do so. Following subsequent evaluations that determined Dear to be delusional, the judge in the case ruled in May 2016 that Dear was incompetent to stand trial and ordered him indefinitely confined to a Colorado state mental hospital.

The Hutaree Christina militia is domestic terrorism plain and simple.

christianity is not at war with us, a section of the muslim religion is. religion of peace my ass.
    White supremacy is a belief based on Christianity. Almost every single abortion clinic that has been bombed or attacked has been a result of Christian terrorism. There have been more abortion clinics bombed in this country than there has been "radical muslin terrorism"
    will myself to find a home, a home within myself
    we will find a way, we will find our place
  • Options
    Go Beavers...

I'm not talking about individuals, their backgrounds, and their involvement with terrorist groups when I refer to 'background variables'.

I am talking about ignoring the body of work ISIS is generating before identifying them and all the characteristics about them that distinguish them for what they are.

It seems as if every time these losers blow people up, as someone said earlier 'drill holes in people's heads', or throw gays off of towers... people feel the need to rush to the defence of Islam so that it doesn't meet scorn.

Each new event is not unique. It is another attack in the long line of many by a group that is evil beyond description and religious at its roots.
  • Options
    PJPOWER said:

mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

No.

So are there fundamentally non-violent religions and fundamentally violent religions? What would a fundamentally non-violent religion be and vise versa? People skew all kinds of stuff when it comes to religion to meet agendas or a number of things, but some may actually be fundamentally violent.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=riDlxCvFZWw
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,548
    edited September 2016

mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

rober lewis dear was legit crazy: The judge ordered a mental competency evaluation to assess whether Dear is sufficiently competent to exercise his right to do so. Following subsequent evaluations that determined Dear to be delusional, the judge in the case ruled in May 2016 that Dear was incompetent to stand trial and ordered him indefinitely confined to a Colorado state mental hospital.

christianity is not at war with us, a section of the muslim religion is. religion of peace my ass.
    White supremacy is a belief based on Christianity. Almost every single abortion clinic that has been bombed or attacked has been a result of Christian terrorism. There have been more abortion clinics bombed in this country than there has been "radical muslin terrorism"
    From a NY Times article in November 2015 there have been 11 deaths of abortion providers since 1993. Terrible. Shouldn't happen.

But, the number killed in Orlando dwarfs that number. What about the thousands that died on 9/11? What about all of the dysfunction in the Middle East due to different religious sects? You cannot compare some fringe anti-abortion advocates and the horrific acts they have done with global terrorism from radical Muslim terrorists. There is no comparison. This is why everyone in the Middle East wants to flock to Europe and North America. Historically Christian nations that are supposed to be safe from terrorism. They'll trade living in Syria or Afghanistan with having a .00000001% chance of getting killed by a Christian extremist every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

It is laughable and sad that people are trying to put Christianity in the same light as Islam.
    Post edited by bootlegger10 on
  • Options

mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

No again.

9-11 alone obliterates such a premise.

And even if you were remotely close... what are you trying to say? That radical Muslim terrorism is overrated and that we should really be concerned with Christian terrorism?

I'm atheist to the core. All religion is messed, but let's give credit where it is due: in the modern era... Christianity and the violence it spawns is a birthday party compared to the Islam and the violence stemming from some of its strands.

Not. Even. Close.
  • Options
    The number of attacks on abortion clinics far exceeded the number of radical muslim attacked in this country
  • Options

The number of attacks on abortion clinics far exceeded the number of radical muslim attacked in this country

Lol.

So an abortion clinic getting egged is the same as the Boston Marathon?

Define attacked if I'm reading you wrong here please.
  • Options

mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

From a NY Times article in November 2015 there have been 11 deaths of abortion providers. Terrible. Shouldn't happen.

But, the number killed in Orlando dwarfs that number. What about the thousands that died on 9/11? What about all of the dysfunction in the Middle East due to different religious sects? You cannot compare some fringe anti-abortion advocates and the horrific acts they have done with global terrorism from radical Muslim terrorists. There is no comparison. This is why everyone in the Middle East wants to flock to Europe and North America. Historically Christian nations that are supposed to be safe from terrorism. They'll trade living in Syria or Afghanistan with having a .00000001% change of getting killed by a Christian extremist every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

It is laughable and sad that people are trying to compare to put Christianity in the same light as Islam.
    11 deaths in what period of time?
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    mcgruff10 said:

dignin said:

PJ_Soul said:

benjs said:

mcgruff10 said:

I agree with this. Most modern terrorist acts in this part of the world are at the hands of radicalized Islamic extremists. That does not mean that I think that most Muslims are terrorists by any stretch, nor that all Muslims should suffer restrictions because of radicalized Islamic extremists. It means I can extrapolate highly likely scenarios when there's enough data to suggest a recurrence. That being said, I don't think mcgruff10 was being serious (but he/she can correct me if I'm mistaken).
    No, I think McGruff10 was joking about some earlier comments in the thread.

I just wonder about people who don't want to accept the problem. People that think Christian extremists are a problem compared to Islamic extremists. One side holds inappropriate signs up a funerals and the other chops peoples' heads off and burns people alive. There is no comparison, but this politically correct brainwashing forces them to rationalize one set of deplorable behavior with other behavior that is not even remotely as bad.
    So when Christian extremists kill in the name of God, what do you call it?
    What are some recent examples of Christian extremists killing people? You are going to need a lot more than four or 5 in the last 10 years to remotely come closer to making this a real argument.
    Have you checked out the stats on White Supremacist murders and crimes lately? I suggest you look into it before you claim that Christian extremists never kill people (since you apparently forgot about the Charlestown Church shooting already. Remember, one of the tenants of White Supremacists is to keep America white and Christian).
    Again, I don't say stuff like this because I'm "brainwashed to be PC" (that is a premise, btw, that I think comes from brainwashing itself). I don't say it to minimize the threat of Islamic terrorism in America (even though that threat is ridiculously over-exaggerated - that's a matter of fact, not opinion). I say it because it's fucking stupid to just automatically assume that an event is caused by a radical Muslim before knowing the facts and to start throwing out accusations and inflammatory rhetoric without knowing a damn thing yet. Just wait for the damn facts. That's it. It's easy. Once you get the facts and it's a fanatical Muslim who committed terrorism, go nuts complaining about that person or group of people. They deserve all the resentment and anger people can throw at them obviously, not to mention police and military wrath. But to just automatically throw the blame on Muslims without the facts causes innocent, good people to suffer. It just does. It contributes to the hate. Same thing would happen for Christians if everyone just assumed that fanatical Christians were responsible for every act of terror. Or just plain old white people, for that matter, who I'm pretty sure still win when it comes to the most act of terror in America.
    Great post. Pretty much sums up my thoughts.

I would just like to add that there are a lot of afraid people here on this thread....I find it interesting that these are the same people who are very pro gun. Scared folks love their guns.
    Afraid? No.
    I realize that there are lots of bad people in this world who want to cause a lot of people harm. I have certain firearms to protect my family.
    Get your head out of the sand.
    Yes. Afraid.

I don't have a gun at home and I sleep just fine, and I'm not remotely afraid of getting killed in a terrorist attack. That's not because I have my head in the sand, that's because I understand simple math. You should give it a try.
  • Options

mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

In your lifetime? Times are a changing! I would like you to give a report on the abortion clinic bombing deaths vs radicle Muslim terrorism body count for .... Let's be generous .... Last 20 years.

?
  • Options

Lol.

So an abortion clinic getting egged is the same as the Boston Marathon?

Define attacked if I'm reading you wrong here please.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-abortion_violence

None of those acts listed are clinics that are getting "egged"
  • Options
    And the fact that Clinton supporters will blindly defend the dumbass idiots who kill random people is putting this country in great danger of being run by a clown. Clown doesn't have to do shit. Clown just needs to sit back and watch the left combust.
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    Jason P said:

And the fact that Clinton supporters will blindly defend the dumbass idiots who kill random people is putting this country in great danger of being run by a clown. Clown doesn't have to do shit. Clown just needs to sit back and watch the left combust.

Wait? Who died?